NBA 2K12 Quick Impressions & Questions

Talk about NBA 2K12 here.

Re: NBA 2K12 Quick Impressions & Questions

Postby J@3 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 pm

shadowgrin wrote:How about the coaching carousel in Association? Is it fixed/lessened now?

Jae wrote:Are there any noticeable changes in offline Association mode? Like in the draft/rookies/trading system/FA signing etc

One part of it is not good according to this review.
AI-controlled teams tend to carry imbalanced rosters filled with too many guards

That happens in 2K11. There's one team in my Association that has like 3 point guards all rated over 80
J@3

Postby fjccommish on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Yes, I mentioned the issue with not being able to call plays unless you have the ball. It kills player lock play.

In the old days with EA it was a crap shoot each year. I'd load the game dreading that player lock would be removed, or wouldn't work. There were years it was removed. There were years it worked but none of the other players would shoot or pass. There were years it worked but would lose lock on occasion. One year you had to call for the ball on in bounds plays. That meant if you played locked to a Center, for example, you'd have to have them inbounds to the center, then pass to the PG. There was even one year when lock worked, but the PG wouldn't bring the ball into the front court unless you nudged him with the player you controlled.\

2K, up until this year, had a consistent player lock. Suddenly, there's no play calling without the ball. My dreams of creating a legend as MJ on the modern Bulls are dashed. What's worse is that it's the same way if locked onto a player in Association. So I'm either stuck with the CPU play calls, or have to wait for the ball before calling the play I want. By the time I get the ball half the shot clock is gone.

One year, it may have been Live 2008, player lock didn't work. I figured out how to make it work by editing and adding a file from the previous year's game. I still receive emails from people asking how to use the file, so I know other player lock people are out there. I hope a request to change this makes it to the patch request, and that it changes with a patch.
fjccommish

Postby Lamrock on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:28 pm

They'll probably just patch it back in dude
Lamrock

Postby SigUp on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Game is great. Yet another notch up from 2k11. Movements are much more smooth, more defensive options (go over/under screens, hedge) post play looks better, no god-like CPU interceptions. Overall it pretty much feels like real basketball. Of course I haven't played it enough to make a good statement (only played 15 minutes). But I like the retro presentation in the Greatest mode. Very good. And... I saw handchecking! :D
SigUp

Postby Kraudi on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:31 pm

MyPlayer still 82 Games or are there any new settings for season length and sliders?
Kraudi

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Kraudi wrote:MyPlayer still 82 Games or are there any new settings for season length and sliders?

Locked to 82 games, but you can choose to only play key games and let the rest be simmed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jk31 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:48 pm

aren't we able to play against certain opponents? if i want to play with friends, i cannot do it outside a online association? and in there i'm just able to do it, when the season is at the certain point, where i can play that game? no other way to play against people i want to play?
jk31

Postby JaoSming on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:06 pm

i think we need to add "friends" in the game, which is done through www.nba2k.com which hasnt fully launched yet.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby MadbaLL on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 pm

amazing, fantastic, stunning, awesome, faboulous, otustanding game!

i'm thrilled with new nba 2k12, so far imho THE BEST nba 2k up to date!

everything is much, much better than before. and one thing that i must emphasize is gameplay fluidity which is great!

i love nba 2k12 :bowdown2: (Y)
MadbaLL

Postby SigUp on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:01 am

I have a little question: The first time I played a quick game I got a very good lineup presentation using a half-court chart. Afterwards I only get these presentations with the 5 guys lining up. So, how is it determined which lineup presentation I get?
SigUp

Postby drew_3 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 am

Can anyone tell me if the european version has all the logo's this time? last year the game was missing the little logo's at the side of the key.
drew_3

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:28 am

still the same as last year according to some people.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lamrock on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:34 am

Yeah, other than the 14 game seasons, very little has changed in Association. I have liked what I've seen from the sim stats though. The all-star teams were very realistic, and the playoffs went more or less as last year's did. Unfortunately, most of the league's starting point guards still develop 80+ ratings by season 2.

They did change the offseason a bit. Free agency has been altered somewhat (it's still a bit awkward), and there seems to be slightly more polish to the menus.

This is just based off of a 14 game sim season. Will try an 82 game season to see if the realistic stats were an anomaly.
Lamrock

Postby gugman on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:36 am

Hi all. can somebody advise if i am right or wrong? as far as i understood from msi afterburner and as far as i see graphics on my monitor this game is still based on directX 9 ???????
gugman

Postby Hoozah on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:15 am

gugman wrote:Hi all. can somebody advise if i am right or wrong? as far as i understood from msi afterburner and as far as i see graphics on my monitor this game is still based on directX 9 ???????

Seeing as this is a console port I dont know why this surprises anyone.
Hoozah

Postby jaelove on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:43 am

Did they remove Jordan's double shimmy move the one you used to do by double tapping left or right from the post I can't do it in the game
jaelove

Postby gugman on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:10 am

Hoozah wrote:
gugman wrote:Hi all. can somebody advise if i am right or wrong? as far as i understood from msi afterburner and as far as i see graphics on my monitor this game is still based on directX 9 ???????

it's not about surprise, it's more about disappointment, it's the end of 2011, have very good computer, dirextX 11 is available already 2 years, but i still play with graphics that take me back almost to my childhood :) and by the way what's wrong with bosh? he looks really bad and to be honest i preferred how players looked like in 11, something very unnatural and ugly is happened to players in 12. anyway thats just my thoughts ... oh, yeah and commentary is terrible ... and there is a lockout ... not a very good second part of the year :mrgreen:
gugman

Postby Hoozah on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:58 am

gugman wrote:
Hoozah wrote:

it's not about surprise, it's more about disappointment, it's the end of 2011, have very good computer, dirextX 11 is available already 2 years, but i still play with graphics that take me back almost to my childhood :) and by the way what's wrong with bosh? he looks really bad and to be honest i preferred how players looked like in 11, something very unnatural and ugly is happened to players in 12. anyway thats just my thoughts ... oh, yeah and commentary is terrible ... and there is a lockout ... not a very good second part of the year :mrgreen:

You're right - it is a disappointment. With all these DX 10 / DX 11 graphics card readily available, I'm surprised we're not seeing more games built with DX 10/11 support.

I think that will change eventually and in greater numbers when then next-next gen of consoles come out. Rumor has it that they will all be supporting DX10 / DX11 right out of the box.
Hoozah

Postby MadbaLL on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:16 am

drew_3 wrote:Can anyone tell me if the european version has all the logo's this time? last year the game was missing the little logo's at the side of the key.

same old 2009 logos if don't use US in regional settings (i guess that's the catch for wrong logos).
MadbaLL

Postby J@3 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:53 am

Lamrock wrote:Yeah, other than the 14 game seasons, very little has changed in Association. I have liked what I've seen from the sim stats though. The all-star teams were very realistic, and the playoffs went more or less as last year's did. Unfortunately, most of the league's starting point guards still develop 80+ ratings by season 2.

They did change the offseason a bit. Free agency has been altered somewhat (it's still a bit awkward), and there seems to be slightly more polish to the menus.

This is just based off of a 14 game sim season. Will try an 82 game season to see if the realistic stats were an anomaly.

That's a bit disappointing, though the changes to My Player still make the game sound like it's worth buying.
J@3

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:44 am

So far, so good. I'll have a more detailed write-up out there soon but first impressions are definitely positive.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Nick on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey guys, long time no type... but my god, this game is AMAZING people...
I had to drag myself away from it and post on a forum i haven't frequented in years just to tell someone (who cares) about it! :P

This is the basketball sim we all dreamed about 10 years ago. It's that good.

I got it on PC 2 days ago...
At first it feels and looks a lot like 2k11, but the more you play it the more you get a feel for all the little subtle changes they made. The subtle new ways of the gameplay start to change your perspective on how to approach the gameplay and you end up playing the game a lot more like a basketball sim. It's hard to explain/pin-point exactly why it is so great, but it just is... those who haven't played it will just have to see for themselves.
Some dot points...

- NBA's greatest presentation = very cool. Bill Russell games in black&white with limited camera angles, and lo-fi audio. 80's/90's games look like 80's/90's games etc.
- Commentary is amazing. For any era. Nuff said.
- My player is very cool. I haven't got too far into my 1st season yet (playing with a player who can't score is a bit boring and i struggle to get the motivation to advance to the point where i can score), but from what i can tell so far it seems really really cool. They could sell that game as a stand-alone.
- Instant replays are good.
- Games feel sooo much like a TV broadcast, it's awesome.
- Association mode has a few subtle differences but it's still pretty much the same. I was a bit disappointed that the stats engine hadn't improved (don't get me wrong, it was already pretty damn great, BUT I WANT BETTAH~!~!), but in fact degressed... in the first 2 seasons i simmed i noticed the league leaders in assists went waaay down. I.e. #1 had 9 assists, #2 had 8 assists, #3 had 7 assists then everything was below that... i.e. steve nash averaged 6.3 apg or something whereas in 2k11 he averaged 10-11apg which was really disappointing.
- Salaries still seem a bit overpriced. They might've been a little reduced from 2k11 though which is good. I will have to sim through 5+ season to get a good idea of it, but it looks like teams will probably be struggling to stay under the hard cap again this year. Is there any way to edit this?? any sort of patch/tool to edit salary weightings?????
- Gameplay is awesome. Best ever. Nuff said.
- I love momentum shots and layups in this game! I don't give a shit if it's a poor quality shot - ima gonna drift on that jump shot! Cos as they say, if it feels good, do it.
- Some player attributes have been taken away and replaced with "abilities", which i think is a good move.
- Graphics haven't really improved since last year, but i don't really care about that to be honest. Graphics are already fine.
- Created players look worse for some reason. Might just be my PC version though?
- Players have a unrealistic shine/gloss on them. It looked better last year.
- It's really cool how each arena has it's own broadcast camera angle. Great authenticity touch.

Lamrock wrote:Yeah, other than the 14 game seasons, very little has changed in Association.

- One positive change though with Association mode is this: GENERATED ROOKIES ACTUALLY SEEM PRETTY GOOD. There's waaaay less "special" players in each draft crop and that's the way it should be. In 2k11 the draft crops were way over-talented, with players rated 70+ all the way down near the end of the first round, and as a result by the year 2015-16ish the whole landscape of the NBA changed for the worse. I.e. players rated 68 were not seeing game time because each roster was so deep. Also all the teams end up way over cap cos all the players were rated. Now, a draft crop will have maybe 1 or 2 players above 75 overall, then maybe 1-2 between 70-75... then everybody else is 69 or under. And by the end of the first round you're already looking at sub 60 players... which is awesome in my eyes. I haven't simmed too far past 2 seasons, but from what i can project, longevity of association simming seems better already (which is my personal favourite aspect of basketball sims).

So far my early impressions of the game are very good. Enough to visit this old forum! I can see why reviews are giving it 9.5's and 10's. It's that good.

I just wish i hadn't played 2k11 so much through. I spent so much of my "basketball game enthusiasm" on that game, there's barely any left for 2k12. So if you're someone who barely played 2k11 and are looking to buy 2k12, DONT WAIT FOOL... GET THAT DAMN GAME AND PLAY IT!!! It's fucking great.
I might just have to take a month off from basketball video games though, just so i can truly appreciate the mastery that is 2k12.

WHAT I WISH FOR NEXT YEAR:
I wish for them to fully expand association mode next year, as this is my personal favourite mode and they have left this part of the game a bit stale since 2k10's advancements. (don't get me wrong, it's probably the best association mode of any other basketball video games, but still)
For me personally, my favourite thing to do with the 2k games is to start an Association mode and focus on team & player legacies. I don't attach myself to a specific team, but instead i mould the landscape of the NBA universe. :twisted: I create/edit generated rookies (usually about 5 per crop), so i define the players of tomorrow. I keep a keen eye on the history section (namely HOF and past champions). I keep a keen eye on a players "achievements" section in their profiles. I regularly take over different teams to correct dumb situations they put themselves in (i.e. 3 point guards rated over 75, things like that). I keep a keen eye on the final 8 teams in every playoff series, and get a feel for their team identity, and occasionally play some playoff games of any teams. I edit player attributes and potential here and there if i want to see them improve. Etc etc.
So now that you know the nerdy stuff i get up to :lol: you can safely assume i knew the ins and outs of nba 2k11's association mode. And it seems 2k12 isn't that much different, alas...
Here's what i want for 2k13:
- IMPROVED STATS ENGINE (more assists (double digit assists avgs are too rare), more blocks (league leader is usually about 2bpg. you'll NEVER see any player average above 3bpg, even if their block rating is an epic 99 - that sucks!), more rebounds (league leader is usually about 11. you'll never see ANY player get above 12, even if they have 99 for both rebound ratings - booorrrriiinnngggg!)
- SMARTER CPU TEAM DIRECTION/IDENTITY (CPU teams just seem aimless... players have "play style" setting, why not teams aswell? Teams should have a "philosophy" setting that their CPU GM's follow and it dictates their transactions... i.e. things like Small ball, Defensive, Offensive, Balanced, Fundamental, Athletic, Marketable, Team-orientated, Star-orientated, etc etc... and they could maybe have a "Team phase" setting that you can switch between "rebuild" and "win now"... and maybe some sort of neutral setting aswell? like... "please fans"... or "fill seats"... or "save money"... or "increase wealth" or something)
- SMARTER SALARY SYSTEM / CHEAPER GENERATED CONTRACTS (by the year 2017 or so teams are always struggling to stay under the HARD CAP, which means nobody can trade with anyone! This is because you see average players getting massive deals... i.e. you'll see a 75 rated center sign a 70 mil/5 yr deal... stuff like that.)
- EXPANDED HISTORY SECTION (to me, the "making history" is whole appeal of association mode! The more this section is expanded, showcased, and deepened, the better. The section is already pretty good. But it could be better. The story of a season, the story of a team, the history of a franchise, everything. The stronger the sense of "creating history" while playing association mode, the better.)

Anyway time to tend back to the massive boner 2k12 has given me.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:18 pm

Jeez Nick, your impression of the game looks like something that anyone from IGN would write.

Your reply to Lamrock and onwards were informative though.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby volsey on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Jae wrote:
shadowgrin wrote:How about the coaching carousel in Association? Is it fixed/lessened now?

Jae wrote:Are there any noticeable changes in offline Association mode? Like in the draft/rookies/trading system/FA signing etc

One part of it is not good according to this review.
AI-controlled teams tend to carry imbalanced rosters filled with too many guards

That happens in 2K11. There's one team in my Association that has like 3 point guards all rated over 80

Yikes I've never seen it this bad though.

My player, I'm a PG. Charlotte interviewed me said with time they'd build a team around me in time, so I went with them. They traded Tyrus Thomas and another big for Steve Nash. I was pissed as I'd have to share with Nash and Augustine and had literally no big men that could do squat on offense except for Diaw.

Then out of nowhere, Maggette and a 2nd rounder, who was my go to guy on offense (I'm a pass first PG), was traded for Affalo and a scrub 52ovr PF.

I'm pissed and to make matters worse, Augustine was traded for Felton. I don't know what else was included in the trade but jesus. Enough trading of the guards, you're building the team around me. Now my cats are pretty much impossible to score with, and I've turned into a scorer with a 65 midrange and 80 layup averaging 4 assists a game fighting for playtime with Nash and Felton.

Not to mention I play 20 minutes in the first 3 quarters, then sit the entire 4th usually. I've lost so many games that were close going into the fourth. It's disheartening. I almost wanna skip to the season where I actually start but know I'd regret it.

Some thoughts, some probably have been brought up already:
-Why can't you just play the games you want? I don't want to play all 82 games, but so far there''s only like 5 key games in my season! What purpose does this serve? I play a few games, wanna skip a couple games but end up having to skip a whole month's worth. dumb.
-Can't call plays without ball
-Display play overlay setting doesn't seem to save in MP, I've checked twice and still have to manually set it every game.
-CPU Offense is unstoppable at times, hitting everything, my team rarely if ever gets these kinds of hot streaks.
-Stealing is too easy, but I can't complain, I need all the help I can get.
-Graphics don't look any better than 2k11, possibly worse (PC high settings)
-Doesn't make toast.LOLOLOLOLL gay.

All comments are about MP thus far if you haven't noticed.
volsey

Postby gugman on Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Hoozah wrote:
gugman wrote:
Hoozah wrote:

You're right - it is a disappointment. With all these DX 10 / DX 11 graphics card readily available, I'm surprised we're not seeing more games built with DX 10/11 support.

I think that will change eventually and in greater numbers when then next-next gen of consoles come out. Rumor has it that they will all be supporting DX10 / DX11 right out of the box.

any ideas when these next-next gen of consoles are planned to be released ? so we can play basketball in a normal quality on pc? :D
gugman

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K12