The GamePro NBA LIVE 2005 preview bothers me greatly...

Talk about NBA Live 2005 here.

The GamePro NBA LIVE 2005 preview bothers me greatly...

Postby Bang on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:07 am

The screenshots looked good, but this freestyle air bothers me. I have a feeling it will make things more arcadey than it already is. It's cool that you can change directions while in the air and stuff but then it might become too powerful. I think it has been a pattern in Live games recently.
When Freestyle first came out, it became too powerful. (NBA Live 2003)
When the Pro hop first came out, it became too powerful. (NBA Live 2004)
I personally think there are WAY too many dunks in Live 2004 and way too much scoring. (Not type of dunks, but the number of dunks in a game.) And that this freestyle air is accentuating the dunks. I don't want NBA Live 2005 to be a dunkfest. Please, don't make that happen. The good thing is that probably you can now do a slam dunk contest or something, tho.
Bang

Postby Little_Big_Man on Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:08 am

Was this preview on the site or in their mag? I have not been able to locate such a preview
Little_Big_Man
Patchmaker
Patchmaker

Postby Bang on Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:08 am

http://www.sportplanet.com/nbalive/imag ... rticle.jpg
here it is.
It's linked in the site main page.
Bang

Postby R-Tistic on Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:29 am

It seems like it should be coo..but I hope they change a lot of things. One thing I hated is that you can change your dunk in the air, which is coo....but you can NOT pass after you go up for a dunk, and this is hooooooorrible. Personally I'd rather be able to pass after goin up for a dunk or alleyoop because I might not have a good chance of makin it, and somebody else might be open. I was heated when I realized you can't pass off of a dunk or layup.
R-Tistic

Postby GloveGuy on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:23 am

I wouldn't be surprised if those are just replay graphics with Lebron and Vince. They still don't look as nice as ESPN's in my opinion. If those were in-game graphics, that would be spectacular, but I'd be very surprised if they were.
GloveGuy

Postby Little_Big_Man on Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:36 am

Yeah that does look pretty cool. And that freestyle air thing sounds kinda cool too. That way you can tell what dunk you will do. Doing windmills and 360's in traffic isn't that realistic. Now you can do simple tomahawks in the lane and spectacular dunks on the break. The graphics look much better too
Little_Big_Man
Patchmaker
Patchmaker

Postby Bang on Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:15 am

But won't this mean too many dunks?
I have a feeling that most shots will now become dunks.
I mean, a whole feature dedicated to just dunks.
I dunno if it's just choosing dunks or you can change dunks, but if you could change dunks, like change directions and stuff, you'll do jordanesque moves 24/7. Not a lot of players can change in the air like Jordan. I just have a bad feeling that the game will be too much about dunks. This isn't NBA street
Bang

Postby Vi1n5ce on Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:51 pm

Hi all...
Notice it says ' "Freestyle Air" moves Let you use the left analog stick to dictate your dunk '
This means that you can change the way you dunk and the way you layup or the way you shoot... Or else why not EA doesn't use the name "Freestyle Dunk"... :wink:
And this will be a very good thing because playing basketball is about On the floor plays and Off the floor plays...
How you react in the air is a big thing in real life basketball and I think EA understands that...
We will just have to wait and see what EA will come up this year...

Oh... and I fogot to add that notice two of the three screenshots are layups... not dunk... :cool:
Vi1n5ce

Postby Cameron on Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:24 pm

Maybe this will save me from going up with Shaq, getting "contact", and then coming down and flipping the ball up with an up and under layup.

This also leads to the possibility of a dunk contest, perhaps :?:
Cameron

Postby Bang on Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:21 am

well I just hope they use the SHOT button more.
I think I haven't used the shot button in a while...except for some rare threes
Bang

Postby Zen on Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:36 pm

bangyounh wrote:well I just hope they use the SHOT button more.

you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Zen

Postby hmm on Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:26 am

Last edited by hmm on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmm

Postby carlos on Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:43 am

It sounds nice, but I want a game where CPU players shoot from mid-range. They only shoot 3 pointers or play in the zone and the only mid-range they take is when posession is finishing. THAT would improve gameplay, Freestyle Air won't :?
carlos

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:03 pm

Moved from Live 2004 General Issues, now that we have an NBA Live 2005 section. :wink:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ehlomint on Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:13 pm

GloveGuy that pic of Duke kid crying is PRICELESS!!

Anyway, I hope 2005 lets us have a Sound Editor and more retro stuff and all-star festivities, including 3 pt and Slam Dunk...
ehlomint

Postby El_Presidente on Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:07 am

oh great. Looks like in addition to godly 3s, the AI will add godly acrobatics to its arsenal too
El_Presidente

Postby 754boy on Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:44 am

gloveGuy wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if those are just replay graphics with Lebron and Vince. They still don't look as nice as ESPN's in my opinion. If those were in-game graphics, that would be spectacular, but I'd be very surprised if they were.

I agree. ESPN pwns Live in terms of graphics. I've been a fanboy of the 2k series back since them Dreamcast days. But Live 04 managed to pull me away. I hope 05 is just as good.
754boy

Postby dnztravis on Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:10 am

Most likely it will be feature lay ups switching and different types of dunk adjusting. I alsready know this will be implemented; If you do free style air at a wrong time than you will miss or get it blocked and probably a charging foul. We all know that EA isn't that dumb to put a half done feature in the game and I wouldn't be suprise if the defense gets more free style to it.
dnztravis

Postby bboyk10 on Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:05 pm

if there would be too many dunks it'd another street kindda game...
well, it's just a game and EA sports are the ones who're making it and most of the people in the world would just want dunking and stuff. Now this is a real pain in the ass to the people who'd prefer a realistic game over the arcade feel.. i think ea should make two modes in gameplay:
ARCADE type and SIMULATION TYPE, so the basic gameplay would be whole lot different from each other...
Also about that freestyle air(?) thingy....
it's true that players try to avoid being blocked by big players in real life but, the percentage should be drastically down when you're doing that move, so the AI wouldn't do it much often and so it becomes a kind of gamble to either avoid the block or to just go for it....
and one more thing: i really hope EA improves their DYNASTY and SLIDERS more... :wink:
bboyk10

Postby Alcoholic on Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:16 pm

i guess in 2004 when you bump someone your player tries to fix himself (usually unsuccessful) or you can do a simple "adjust" where all you really do is push the dunk button again... I think in 2005 they are making it so YOU have to do the real adjusting if you want to get the shot in. For example in 2004 if you try to attack Shaq you'll bump him and your guy will try to get the shot off. However in 2005 I guess if you attack Shaq and you DO NOTHING, you'll probably just flop to the floor or something, might not even throw up the ball.
Alcoholic

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:51 pm

I'm not too worried about the Freestyle Air feature placing too much emphasis on dunks and fancy moves. I think EA is simply expanding upon the idea of total player control, and the ability to control midair moves has been featured in our annual Wishlists.

Besides, it will probably have a slider. If we find it's a little too effective or making the game a little too easy or unrealistic, we can make appropriate adjustments, just as we did with NBA Live 2004.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:28 am

As far as EPSN basketball goes, I think the only part it beats Live in is the TV-style presentation. EA should bring back the TNT-style presentation (they already got Marv and Mike. All they need are logos and possibly Ernie Johnson. SEE NBA Live 98.).
With this freestyle air, I don't think they're gonna emphasize dunks, it just gives you more options in the air, especially if you see a defender and you need to move to avoid contact or a block. In Live, if you go up for a layup, the animation takes you straight to the basket, making you an easy targets for a Ben Wallace or Theo Ratliff.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Wall St. Peon on Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:52 am

Personally I think this is a great idea...this way we can do virtual double clutches and avoid blocked shots and draw fouls...

But yeah, midrange jumpers would be (Y)
Shane
Wall St. Peon

Postby ATTENTIONWHORE on Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:58 am

I must agree...ESPN NBA Basketball had the best graphics of any NBA game I have ever seen, and I hope EA does as good a job as Sega did
ATTENTIONWHORE

Postby Bang on Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:03 am

Zen wrote:
bangyounh wrote:well I just hope they use the SHOT button more.

you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Well the chances of a layup going in are MUCH higher than shots. (I'm playing with tweaked sliders btw) It's too risky when you're going against another person to go for a shot when you can go for a layup or dunk.
For that reason, I always dunk. And I have 80% FG games. So should I suffer the consequences in order to be realistic? Suffer from humiliation from losing? No, I shall not lose. So I always take easy layups.

Now if it was made so that FG% would be at least around 50 or 40 then that would be good, layups or shooting, either way.
Bang

Next

Return to NBA Live 2005