Hov's Kings - Retired

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Vote your match!

Postby hova- on Wed May 18, 2011 8:18 pm

NBA.com wrote:
Vote your game of the month on NBA.com

Several decent matchups are up for voting as the NBA.com "Game Of The Month" continues in December. Take a look down low at the matches you can vote for.

12/11/2011 Chicago Bulls (14-5) vs Washington Wizards (9-13)

How about a matchup between two of the arguably best point guards in the league? Don't miss Derrick Rose facing John Wall.

12/17/2011 New Jersey Nets (10-10) vs New York Knicks (10-10)

Rivalry time at the Hudson River: The New Jersey Nets and the New York Knicks both were hoping for a better start into a season, that should bring big change for both franchises.

12/18/2011 Boston Celtics (9-11) vs Miami Heat (19-3)

Rematch of last year's Easter Conference Finals. Will the Celtics, who are climbing back to .500 after a slow start, be able to dethrone the best team in the league?

12/19/2011 Dallas Mavericks (13-7) vs Oklahoma City Thunder (14-8)

A rematch of last year's Conference semi-finals as the Oklahoma City Thunder and their leader Kevin Durant will host the Kidd-less Dallas Mavericks and Dirk Nowitzki.

12/29/2011 Boston Celtics (9-11) vs Los Angeles Lakers (11-9)

A Finals rematch two days before New Year's Eve: Will the Conference champions from last year be able to bounce back from a tough start into the season. Who's better right now: Purple or Green?
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics II (5-15) - Fiveliner P.23 - Vote your matc

Postby Valor on Wed May 18, 2011 8:29 pm

12/11/2011 Chicago Bulls (14-5) vs Washington Wizards (9-13) (Y) (Y) (Y)

I didn't even look at the other ones :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Justine. on Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Boston Lakers (Y)
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby puttincomputers on Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Mavs v Thunder
Dynasty: Puttins Bobcats yr1 http://manfrednba2k11bobcatdynasty.blogspot.com/
taking draft applications!
2010-11 Playoffs - Cats beat Celtics in 5!

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”
Arthur Schopenhauer- German philosopher (1788 - 1860)
puttincomputers

Postby Martti. on Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 pm

HEAT and Celtics. (Y)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby C-77 on Wed May 18, 2011 11:05 pm

Martti. wrote:HEAT and Celtics. (Y)
|Proud to be a Bedan|Bryan_C. is my cousin|Celtics & Magic fan|Pinoy Ako|

Follow me on Twitter

{♣NBA LIVE IS STILL LIVE!!♣}
C-77
We Do It For The City,We Do It for the fans

Re: Hov's Sonics II (5-15) - Fiveliner (page 23) - Vote!

Postby Fresh8 on Wed May 18, 2011 11:07 pm

CELTICS LAKERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Houndy on Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 am

Martti. wrote:HEAT and Celtics. (Y)
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby rise on Thu May 19, 2011 7:42 am

Mavs/Thunder. No question.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby john26 on Thu May 19, 2011 10:14 am

bulls v great wall
john26

Donte Greene Article

Postby hova- on Thu May 19, 2011 6:17 pm

In his fourth year in the league, Donte Greene finally has to justify the hype he created in college

The first and last chance
By Carl Column, NBA.com
Posted on December 2nd 2011 5:36PM

Donte Greene could be like your everyday NBA player. Sure, the swingman got skills that not every NBA player might have. At 6-11, his ball handling is great, he can hit the three ball or just take the ball and go coast-to-coast.

That's his skill-set. But the numbers speak a different language. Donte Greene has not had any impact on pro basketball level. The former Syracus Orangeman holds career-averages of 6.1 points and 2.2 rebounds per game, shooting .404% in 13.1 minutes per game in 225 games for the Sacramento Kings and now the Seattle Supersonics.

The deal, potential & trust

Surprisingly, Donte Greene has made it to the spotlight just two days ago, when the Sonics had struck a deal that landed power forward David West in Seattle.

No, Greene wasn't part of the deal - as you might have expected at first - but he plays a big part in the Sonics' future plans after that trade.

With Omri Casspi being shipped to New Orleans, the Sonics want Donte Greene to take their vacant starting spot on the small forward position. "We calculated that we could give away Omri (Casspi) as we feel that Donte (Greene) should finally get his chance to start", Coach & GM Chris Hova says and shows trust. And Donte Greene likes it.

"I'm in the league for three years now. If I couldn't play, I think they might have already waived me or something like that. It was rather a process of learning and patience and now it will pay off", the 6-11 forward says. "Coach Hova always trusted in me since coming over to the franchise", he adds. "That was pretty important for me."

A tough start into the NBA

Donte Greene came out of Syracuse into the NBA in 2008. After averaging 17.7 points and 7.2 rebounds per game for the Orangemen, Greene, who was born in Munich,Germany, applied for the NBA draft.

Known for his decent combination of skills and size, his good stroke from beyond the arc and his shot blocking ability, Greene was picked as the 28th pick by the Memphis Grizzlies, who later traded him to the Houston Rockets. For Houston though, Greene was only a trading chip which they used to acquire Ron Artest from the Sacramento Kings.

In his 2nd season with the Kings in 2009-2010, Greene managed to get the starting nod in 50 games and averaged 8.2 points and 3.1 rebounds per game. But when Omri Casspi got better and better, Greene found himself benched more often than he would like to.

Things did not really change when the franchise moved to Seattle and Coach Hova took over. But instead of former Coach Paul Westphal, who planned to form Omri Casspi into a star, Hova always said how important Greene can be off the bench for this team.

"He can score in a hurry and has an enormous impact in different situations", Hova said a year ago.

Now that Omri Casspi is gone, it's Greene's time.

Still room to grow

It's a risk to let Greene start now, but the 23-year old forward has done everything to justify a bigger spot in the team's rotation this season.

Before the Sonics traded Omri Casspi, Greene already had made a huge jump statistically - also because of the Sonic's injury problems - and averaged 10.1 points and 4.2 rebonds in 20.1 minutes per game.

"He still can improve his game by a lot", Coach Hova remarks, "We still don't like his 1on1 defense and sometimes he seems out of control on offense, but that's what you learn with playing time and experience."

Apart from that, Greene has been a valuable scoring threat off the bench and now needs to bring over his game into the starting five. Alongside Tyreke Evans and Luis Chase, Greene should see many open shots and even lift his already decent three point percentage (.33%). His help defense and shot blocking may also help the Sonics' defense which is far from impressive this season so far.

In his first game as a starter without Casspi, vs the Portland Trailblazers, Greene had a pretty off outing though, shooting 1-9 from the field for 7 points in 24 minutes.

"He is still adapting. Starting is something different from coming off the bench and bringing your energy against the other team's bench players", Coach Hova says.

Let's hope for Seattle, that Greene adapts soon and brings the performances he had at the end of November when he scored 17, 19, 11 and 17 points in a row.

Greene's contract expires after the season and a potential extension will also depend on his play this season.

It's his chance now.
Last edited by hova- on Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics II (5-15) - Donte Greene - Keep Voting!

Postby hova- on Thu May 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Okay guys, right now Heat vs Celtics is on top with three votes. Keep them coming. Voting will end tomorrow.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby |)e8* on Thu May 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Nets Knicks!
Thank you maksie for this kick-ass sig
|)e8*

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu May 19, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm with Valor and John. Wizards-Bulls, Wall-Rose. :D

Hopefully Greene will explode for the team.
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Sat May 21, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 20, 2011 3:30 am

Nyets - Knicks
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby George7 on Fri May 20, 2011 3:41 am

Bulls - Wizards (Y)
George7

Postby Cruzerr on Fri May 20, 2011 4:39 am

Rose-Wall
"Say whatever you want, m*therf*cker. Just say my name"
Cruzerr

Postby Martti. on Fri May 20, 2011 6:36 am

I really hoped Greene would blossom in the NBA, especially after his 40-point outburst in the Summer League. But then he was traded to the Kings and struggled to find playing time. I'm glad you're giving him minutes. (Y)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Axel The Great on Fri May 20, 2011 6:45 am

I'd like to see the C's crush the Lakers please. :D

Great to see Greene getting a run. He was one of my favorite players to use in my Rockets HOF Dynasty. Hope he can become a really effective player. (Y)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby hova- on Fri May 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Martti., he can lighten up the scoreboard at times. His problem is his inconsistency - most of the time when he gets like 15 points for me, he scores 10 of them in a row because he gets hot quickly, his shoot metre is pure red then.

Axel., effectiveness so far hasn't been his thing when you look at his shooting numbers and PER, but I think in West & Evans I have to effective scorers and Greene just needs to hit his shot every now and then to give the team a boost.

Thanks for voting guys, it will be Bulls vs Wizards. Actually I am glad about that, because I wanted to have some other teams than the Lakers, Heat or Celtics to be presented in this D. Good choice by the readers (Y)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby homicide1550 on Fri May 20, 2011 5:38 pm

12/19/2011 Dallas Mavericks (13-7) vs Oklahoma City Thunder (14-8)

edit: damn.. voting is over..
Visit my Facebook page: Kicksfix: homicide1550

Click image to view the thread!

KicksFix 2K12 2K13
(Live08) RISE UP! A Cleveland Cavaliers Dynasty

Ranked 7th, Top 10 Dynasty Hall of Fame

homicide1550
Quality Over Quantity

Postby hova- on Fri May 20, 2011 6:09 pm

homicide1550, sry, man. But OKC vs DAL has 3 votes including yours, CHI vs WAS still would leads with 5 votes.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Valor on Sun May 22, 2011 3:55 pm

hova- wrote:CHI vs WAS still would leads with 5 votes.

Chi-town wins :headbang:
Valor
Fire GarPax

december

Postby hova- on Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Stephen Jackson's eruption led to another losing week for the Sonics.

Complete Sonics roster still has lot of work to do
Sonicsfan88 for Sonics.com
Posted on December 11th 2011 5:46PM

The 2nd December week has been something special for the Sonics: Luis Chase & Tyreke Evans both came back from injuries and also, it was the first complete week with David West being part of the Sonics team. Still, losses vs Denver and the L.A. Clippers spoiled the Sonics' hopes of turning things around quickly after losing 15 of the first 20 games. Competing for a Playoff spot already looks like a huge task, but with 59 games left in the season you shouldn't count out our squad.

Tough loss at the Mile High City

The first goal with a revamped roster was to win against the 11-10 Denver Nuggets on the road. Easier said than done, the Sonics had a tough time in the first quarter when the Nuggets shot .600% from the field and took a six point lead thanks to Wilson Chandler's 8 points and the fact that David West committed his second foul with 10 minutes left on the clock.

The Sonics however were able to bounce back in the 2nd quarter as Delonte West showed great spark off the bench and scored 9 points in 6 minutes. Denver only shot .31% in the 2nd after their hot start and despite David West sitting out again with 3 fouls for most of the quarter, the Sonics were able to tie the game at half at 47.

None of the teams was able to grab a determining lead in the 3rd as both shot .47% from the field. A buzzer beater by Delonte West, who had 12 points for the game, ended a quarter in which the Nuggets slightly outscored the Sonics, 24-26.

In the end, veteranship helped the Nuggets grab a home win as Kenyon Martin stepped up in the fourth after a quiet 2nd & 3rd quarter.

Martin, who scored 16 points and added 11 rebounds, had a sick poster jam with the foul by David West (his 5th) with 4:35 left in the game to swing the moment to the Nuggets' favor.

"He's our leader out there and we love him. He's playing hard, defending and hitting that mid range jump shot more often than not lately", first year Nuggets coach Alex English said later.

The Nuggets were up by one despite a great fourth quarter by Tyreke Evans who scored 29 points on 11-21 shooting for the game.

Up by one, the Nuggets had 28 seconds left on the clock. Seattle decided not to stop the clock and give the Nuggets a shot at the basket. Ty Lawson, who had 13 points and 7 dimes, pounded the ball to Danilo Gallinari the Nuggets' topscorer with 21 points. Pressured by the defense, Gallinari had to make a shaky pass to Kenyon Martin who jumped for the ball, fumbled it around and took a 18 foot jumpshot.

The shot fell in and gave the Nuggets a three point lead with 4 seconds left on the clock. Coach Hova called a time out, but the Sonics weren't able to get off a shot and lost the game, 94-97.

Luis Chase had a career-high 12 assists and Demarcus Cousins added 15 points and 8 boards (which ended his streak of four consecutive double-doubles). For Denver, Wilson Chandler had 20 points and 10 assists (a career-high) and Raymond Felton added 11 points off the bench.

Taking Revenge on the Suns

After losing the first matchup vs the Phoenix Suns just two weeks ago, the Sonics tried everything to avoid another loss vs the West's worst team.

"You always want to start a four-game home stand with a win", David West, who looks more and more integrated into the team's offense, said.

The Sonics led by 9 points at the halftime as Tyreke Evans scored 14 points in the first two quarters. David West, the game high man with 23 points scored 10 points in the third in which the Sonics started with 4 consecutive stops on defense and 6 fastbreak points.

Leading by 13, the Sonics leaned back a bit and the Suns outscored them 25-11 in the fourth but still lost the game, 78-85. The Sonics only had 5 turnovers and 10 steals as Phoenix shot 33-81 from the field. Grant Hill was the Suns' top scorer with 29 points, but only two Suns scored more than 6 points in the ball game.

Beat(en by) L.A.

It was a strange outing as the Clippers went on to visit the Sonics for their 2nd road game in a row. Just two weeks after beating the Lakers, the Sonics had problem to contain the "other team" out of the City of Angels.

The Clippers outscored the Sonics 31-20 in a decisive run in the 2nd quarter, led by Stephen Jackson's 14 points. "Captain Jack" had a game-high37 points on 16-26 shooting and also hit 3-6 from beyond the arc.

"They are really really tough to defend and seem to click", Coach Hova said after the game. "The way they are coming around screens and also dominated the paint makes it hard to defend them properly."

The Clippers had all of their five starters in double figures as Blake Griffin had 16 points and added a career-high 22 boards. Rebounding seemed like a problem for the Sonics as the Clippers outhustled them 54-43.

Seattle did not give up and scored 59 of their 101 points in the second half thanks to David West (24p/12r) and Tyreke Evans (31p/4b), but the Clippers always had the right answer, be it a reverse jam on the break by Griffin, a three pointer by Mo Williams, who had 10 points and 11 dimes, or a fade-away in the post by Chris Kaman (14p/8r).

Donte Greene scored 16 points and grabbed 6 boards in his best game since being put in the starting five. Demarcus Cousins only scored 4 points and Luis Chase added 12 points and 5 assists.

Still, the Sonics gave up on 15 offensive boards and had problems to rotate on the shooters on defense allowing the Clippers to shoot .49% from the field and win the game 110-101.

Outlook

The Sonics will stay in Seattle for the next two games, but even at home the San Antonio Spurs (10-13) and the Miami Heat (21-3) should be a tough task. The week will be rounded up by two games @Boston and @Detroit, the first two of a three game East coast trip.

The Sonics will look to start a streak against the Pistons, the worst team in the league as they will head to Cleveland afterwards and then host the Timberwolves at home.

With Tyreke Evans back in the line up, who averaged 28 points and 7 rebounds over the last three games, and David West feeling more and more comfortable on offense (23.5 points per game in his last two games), it seems like Seattle is on the right way and the postseason still seems possible.

Suns sign Daequan Cook for the remainder of the season ...
Behind Westbrook's 31, Thunder blow out Knicks 127-91 at MSG ...
Heat go down 85-109 @Milwaukee, lose third game of the season ...
Lakers stop slide, rally past Hawks 74-105 ...
Ellis buzzer beater leads Warriors past Magic, 95-96 ...

Check Sonics stats and League Standings here ...
Last edited by hova- on Thu May 26, 2011 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics II (5-15) - Donte Greene

Postby Fresh8 on Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 pm

I reckon you will be 9-15 in no time. :)
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame