All-Star Votings so far

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

All-Star Votings so far

Postby GloveGuy on Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:53 am

These couldn't be more fucked up...people voted for Steve Francis and Steve Nash(two guys playing farely well) over Gary Payton(who is practically averaging a double double)...Francis embarassed himself in the all-star game last year and Steve Nash just isn't that good(and needs a haircut..the guy looks like a fuckin gay man)...and now we have Vince Carter who leads the East in voting...this guy's barely played this year and leads the East in all-star votes?...wtf...otherwise the results are pretty fare...i just hope that MJ gets in because it would be fun seeing him against guys more than 10 years younger then him
GloveGuy

Postby Defel on Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:51 pm

I think we go through this every year. All-Star voting is stupid....People are stupid. Payton and the Sonics never get any credit.
Defel

Postby emadhn15 on Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:47 pm

The allstar voting is to make people choose their favourite players and the ones that are most exciting to watch,, if only 2 guys like gary payton then it doesnt mean that he must be chosen and the allstar voting is stupid!!! :roll: comeon its better that we guys choose the players rather than the NBA :!:
emadhn15

Postby marogi on Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:12 pm

Michael should be in the starting lineup just because he is the greatest and this is his final nba season.
marogi

Postby air gordon on Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:24 pm

i haven't seen the voting as of yet, but wouldn't Yao Ming be a lock to be starting center in the west if at least half the chinese population cast their biased votes??
air gordon

Postby Clinton on Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:13 pm

i haven't seen the voting as of yet, but wouldn't Yao Ming be a lock to be starting center in the west if at least half the chinese population cast their biased votes??

He is apparently very close to beating Shaq out for starting centre. Andrew tells me as close as 9787 votes. It wouldn't just be the Chinese population, it would be the Asian population in general. Then there are the Laker haters and Rocket lovers who automatically give Ming the vote.

Michael should be in the starting lineup just because he is the greatest and this is his final nba season.

He should make the team on votes from the coaches. But Carter and Hill are currently ahead of him in the way of votes. MJ does have good odds on his side. The two players standing between him and a starting spot are two of the most injury prone in the league.
Clinton

Postby MC Hao on Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:10 am

At least half the American population cast their biased votes for Kobe Bryant, I dont see you mentioning that. Yao gets what he deserves, he's playing extremely well while adjusting the NBA games. Take a look at his last 8 games' stats and tell me those aren't all-star numbers. This not a Chinese thing, this is not an Asian thing, this is a basketball thing, Yao played well and people voted for him. He's being recognized as one of the best centers in the NBA. When Dirk Nowitzki made the all-star team, he got what he deserved, I dont see people made a big deal out of it because he's German. Yao is not even an all-star yet and you guys are making a big deal out of it. I mean how do you know all his votes came from the Chinese or Asians? People dont put down their names when they vote, people dont put down their nationality when they vote, it could be anybody. Americans, Africans, British, Pakistanis, Japanese, Chinese, anybody! How could you positively know those votes are only from the Chinese or Asians?

All I want to say is Yao Ming is playing well and he's going to get what he deserves whether he makes the all-star team or not.
MC Hao

Postby air gordon on Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:09 am

i had a feeling there was going to be a reaction such as the previous post....

i believe yao ming belongs on the all star team beacuse he has EARNED it. i understand what you are saying, llamaj Mim.

i'm not making a big deal of his nationality. in my mind, i felt it was worth mentioning his nationality considering his homeland is the most populated country in the world, thus having the possibility to gather many all star votes.

in a way, this ming situation is similar to ichiro suzuki's situation in the all star baseball voting. he deserved to be on the team based on his talent but i'm sure he received extra votes from his homeland.

go bulls!
air gordon

Postby bishibashiboy on Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:40 am

honestly...i believe these things are a joke..
it's all a popularity contest...
i definitely believe carter doesn't deserve any place on the all-star roster..unless he plays for at least a fair amount of games before the break and puts up all-star calibre numbers..this guy was once good..but now is just sad watching him...and seeing that tons of fans for no reason at all like to make him a starter...he has done absolutely NOTHING to deserve being a starter.

go yao ming!
bishibashiboy

Postby TheBob on Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:49 pm

As long as Carter is healthy he deserves a place on the all-star team. People go on about earning the right to play in the all-star game but those people have lost perspective. The game in question is nothing more than a fancy over hyped pick up game for the fans to see the most exciting players play together. Think it's a coincidence that the only players to top all star voting for 3 years or more are all or were all great dunkers (Carter, Erving and Jordan)? Really guys, no matter what kind of numbers players like Abdur-rahim or Terry put up do you really want to see them in an All-star game? I know I dont....
TheBob

Postby Rens on Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:14 pm

People seem to forget that the voting for starters for the All-Star game IS a popularity contest. They don't let the fans vote for it for nothing... if the most populair players start, more people will watch. Would you like it if there would be some team picked by coaches that's so boring to watch that you turn off your tv?
That being said, Carter in my opinion doesn't deserve to start based on his play this season. Maybe he'll put on a strong performance when he returns (again).
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Glyyde on Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:37 pm

glove guy, Steve Francis & Steve Nash is not 2 guys playing farely well... those 2 are indeed one of the best PG in NBA right now.....

lets do a comparison here....
Payton 22.1ppg, 4.6rpg, 9.4apg, 1.58spg, 40.8mpg
Francis 23.5ppg, 6.3rpg, 6.0apg, 1.79spg, 42mpg
Nash 18.8ppg, 2.6rpg, 7.3apg, 1.44spg, 33.1mpg

looks at the stats.... it doesn't looks to me that those are farely well player when comparing to Payton..... Nash might not have a good looking stats but he also play 7 min less than payton......

Francis, his assist number is going up recently as others rockets player are hitting shots.... and Yao Ming & mobley is scoring a lot for the Rockets, that again, takes away stats from Francis....last years all-star game... Francis is having Migraine attack, do u expect him to be able to play well?

though, I agree Gary Payton is a very good PG also..... well, like lots of ppl says here, its a popularity contest..... but if u want to consider stats wise, Francis can go head to head with payton.....
Glyyde

Postby TheBob on Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:01 am

Glyyde wrote:but if u want to consider stats wise, Francis can go head to head with payton.....

Apg To Fg%
Payton 9.4 2.46 .477
Francis 6.0 4.00 .434

From these stats you can tell that Payton is far more efficient than Francis. If Francis keeps up hi current pace he'll have a career worst year in TO's and assists. Now correct me if I'm wrong but these seem like fairly important stats for a PG and if he hasn't been an all-star every year he shouldnt make it while posting career lows in those categories. Meanwhile, Payton is having his best assist per game season ever. Just some things to consider.

P.S. does anyone else think that Francis has too much of a scorer's mentality for a point guard? Most people would acknowledge that he's a top tier 1 but those assist numbers are quite poor for a player of his quality.
TheBob

Postby air gordon on Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:42 am

about francis having a too much of a scorer's mentality for a PG....

the offensive system and the team's makeup factor in heavily on what kind of point guard the team needs. (think this was discussed before in the previous nlsc board sorry).

4 TO's a game is pretty bad though
air gordon

Postby TheBob on Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:03 am

Well they do have Mobley, Ming, Griffin, Taylor etc. on the team so they're not exactly lacking scorers. Maybe those numbers will start to go down now that Ming's getting more touches...
TheBob

Postby Glyyde on Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:49 pm

Francis assist is indeed low for a PG his capability.... but just look at how Houston runs their offense now.... it will either start with Yao Ming, or Francis.... and they move the ball a whole lot...... they starts to play like how Kings play..... just look at the Kings, their players dun average more than 5 apg.....

true the rockets are not the kings, but they do spread the ball around a whole lot more than what they normally do.....

Francis TO number are high..... Jkidd also average 3.58TPG..... one thing to consider, its not the PG prob that their TO numbers are high....sometimes u have to take count that the other players can't seems to catch.... that happens quite frequently.....

actually Francis assists number went a little higher compare to the start of the season ever since Ming gets more touches.... they both complement each other well.... Rockets have scorer, but early in the season, they just flat out can't score much.... u can't expect Francis to have a high assist numbers when he and cat are the only one averaging a FG higher than 40% early in the season....
Glyyde

Postby Matt on Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:07 pm

simply put, the All-Star voting is a popularity contest
It's based on who fans want to see play most and not on who is the best

Vince Carter doesn't deserve it this year and he's leading the votes.
Payton deffinately is the Wests best PG and Ming will make it to the All-Star game whether through coaches or fans. Michael Olowokandi is probably most likely to knock off Ming, he averages 14 and 9.9 but he plays 14 minutes more than Ming
Matt

Postby champ on Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:19 am

i don't think any coach in the league (unless a biased clipper coach) would put Kandy ahead of Ming.
champ

Postby . on Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:17 am

Dan Gadzuric wrote:People seem to forget that the voting for starters for the All-Star game IS a popularity contest. They don't let the fans vote for it for nothing... if the most populair players start, more people will watch. Would you like it if there would be some team picked by coaches that's so boring to watch that you turn off your tv?
That being said, Carter in my opinion doesn't deserve to start based on his play this season. Maybe he'll put on a strong performance when he returns (again).

I rather see boring players who worked hard 2 make the team then players who can make awesome dunks or break ankles.

Postby Rens on Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:39 am

Kobe4mvp wrote:I rather see boring players who worked hard 2 make the team then players who can make awesome dunks or break ankles.

Maybe your sense of justice tells you that, but I doubt you'd enjoy watching a boring all-star game.
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Glyyde on Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:22 pm

it is true that the starters are a popularity contest..... and the reserves are indeed the GENUINE all-star..... though this is not to say that those starters are not all-star..... most of them are a real all-star....but there's some exception like Carter (not to say he is not good, but this season he is basically spending his time in the IR list)
Glyyde

Postby EGarrett on Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:28 am

It's not the All-Hardworking team...or the All-Good Player team...it's the All-Star team. Stars are people who the public likes and recognizes. That's why you ask the public to vote for the starters.

I think you guys' problem is that you're imagining the All-Star team as something it isn't...it's nothing but a marketing tool for the league and a pickup game played for entertainment. Just vote for who you want to see...the coaches will fill out the rest of the rosters with players they like...which they like for different reasons then the fans.
EGarrett

Postby T_McGrady on Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:34 am

Wouldn't it kick ass if we can vote for 5 starters and 5 bench for each conference? That would kick SO MUCH @$$. Right now my votes:

East:
Ben Wallace
Kenyon Martin
Antoine Walker
Tracy McGrady
Jason Kidd

West:
Yao Ming
Rasheed Wallace
Kevin Garnett
Kobe Bryant
Gary Payton

Yeah, my votes seem like i have bad taste but that's cuz
1) if I voted Shaq then the game would be as one sided as that adidas commercial where Kobe versed this kid 1 on 1, plus Yao's improving,
2) Duncan's THE most boring player in the world to watch, and
3) Jason Kidd + Kenyon Martin = lotsa a good times :)
T_McGrady

Re: ...

Postby T_McGrady on Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:09 am

Llamaj Mim wrote:

At least half the American population cast their biased votes for Kobe Bryant, I dont see you mentioning that. Yao gets what he deserves, he's playing extremely well while adjusting the NBA games. Take a look at his last 8 games' stats and tell me those aren't all-star numbers. This not a Chinese thing, this is not an Asian thing, this is a basketball thing, Yao played well and people voted for him. He's being recognized as one of the best centers in the NBA. When Dirk Nowitzki made the all-star team, he got what he deserved, I dont see people made a big deal out of it because he's German. Yao is not even an all-star yet and you guys are making a big deal out of it. I mean how do you know all his votes came from the Chinese or Asians? People dont put down their names when they vote, people dont put down their nationality when they vote, it could be anybody. Americans, Africans, British, Pakistanis, Japanese, Chinese, anybody! How could you positively know those votes are only from the Chinese or Asians?

All I want to say is Yao Ming is playing well and he's going to get what he deserves whether he makes the all-star team or not.

Many Asian people have this "Asian pride" thing, which I personally think is stupid (even though I'm Chinese). They are therefore biased for Yao Ming to be in the All-Star game, and would object even more if some big fella who has size advantage and "no skill" replaces Yao in the All Star game. True, not all people who vote for Yao are Asian, but don't be surprised if you see vote results from China (if that can happen) placing Yao above Shaq.

Dirk Nowitski is different. He might be German, but most people just categorize him as white, and we did have a lot of THAT in the past. But Asians being in the NBA is totally new, so people are making a big deal outta it.

And what's all this beef with Kobe?
T_McGrady

Re: ...

Postby Cudacke on Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:45 am

T_McGrady wrote:And what's all this beef with Kobe?

Voted to be on the all-star team years ago Kobe was while still sitting on the lakers' bench.
Cudacke

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball