Online Series (AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, web comics etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Online Series (AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, web comics etc)

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:27 pm

been watching a show called extra credits on the escapist lately. Its kinda an academic look at the elements of video games and what makes them work/not work. It gets a little preachy but i'm glad someone is trying to approach a web show about gaming from more than a ranting perspective.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:09 pm

well to follow that, Zero Punctuation did Minecraft today. Normal funny stuff and made some good points about why the game is so successful.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Oznogrd wrote:been watching a show called extra credits on the escapist lately. Its kinda an academic look at the elements of video games and what makes them work/not work. It gets a little preachy but i'm glad someone is trying to approach a web show about gaming from more than a ranting perspective.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out.

New Nostalgia Critic & Chick out at the moment, reviewing the Care Bears Movie 2 and The Fifth Element respectively.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:07 am

sweet jebus, new nerd!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry ... ack/710076

22minutes?! damn
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Good episode, his freakout at the end was pretty funny. It's great to have the longer reviews now that he's scaled back to one a month.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Doug's latest Nostalgia Critic nominated the Top 11 Dumbest Moments from the Spiderman films. I thought they were well-chosen, I wouldn't disagree with any of them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:10 am

Just watched it, enjoyed it of course but i'd slightly disagree with Doug. yes the first 2 had silly/shitty moments: but they at least stayed true to the spidey we know and love. And they were better movies for it. 3 was hated and reviled because it turned peter not into just an angsty guy getting revenge, but a complete utter prick.

As much as we may not like to admit it, most people can understand the sentiment and relate to "vengaence" even if it is an attempt to kill the "guilty" party. But you add comic emoness and domestic abuse to it and you stop relating and start going "what the fuck does this have to do with anything?" it takes you out of the story, removes your emotional investment, and makes you start counting down the ticks till the movies over.
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 am

I'd agree with that, the first two were superior and the entries from the third were definitely things that I didn't care for, but the things he picked out from the first two movies were pretty fair.

Doug also posted a lengthy video on the top 10 movies most people seem to like but he hates/doesn't much care for. The only one I can really disagree with on that one is American Pie, a few folks in the comments were calling it overrated but I feel the original trilogy is a little underrated. It has its problems and he made some spot on criticisms of it, it's not a style of movie that has a whole lot of artistic merit and it's not for everyone, but it's got quite a lot of heart for a movie of its genre and I still find them entertaining (I haven't bothered with the ones that don't star Jason Biggs et al). I see where he and other people that don't like it are coming from but hey, I still enjoy it.

Next week he's doing the opposite, the top 10 movies he loves that most people seem to hate or not think much of, I'm definitely interested to see his picks for that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:15 am

watched that 42 minute special...not bad and even though i havent seen a couple of the movies i'm with him on the ones i have. Contemplating writing a blog of my own version and next week's flip of course.

Right now i'm thinking Crash, Brokeback Mountain, Sin City, Fight Club, Citizen Kane, and Evil Dead (original). Gonna have to contemplate a bit longer on the rest of my list and the "ones i love everyone else hates"
Last edited by Oznogrd on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oznogrd

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:29 am

You forgot to add Sin City.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:31 am

shadowgrin wrote:You forgot to add Sin City.

obviously i REALLY hate that movie :lol:

fix'd
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:28 am

Oznogrd wrote:Contemplating writing a blog of my own version and next week's flip of course.

I'd be interesting seeing that. I'm not sure what my entire top ten would be in either case but I think my number one movie that I dislike that everyone seems to love would be Borat. Admittedly I haven't actually watched the whole thing but with the bits I've seen and knowing the concept of the movie, I'm always annoyed that it's praised as comic genius. I respect the success and if people like it then like Doug says then that's cool, but it just doesn't appeal to me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 am

Doug's top 10 movies that he likes but most people seem to hate is now up. The only one on the list that I've seen is Spiderman 3 (though I am aware of most of them) but his reasons for liking them made me think that perhaps at least a couple of them are worth checking out. I also liked his closing remarks reiterating the purpose of the two videos and that liking or disliking a movie does not make you stupid or a bad person or anything else. As entertaining as Doug is as the Nostalgia Critic and his other characters, it's always nice to see him post a review or a countdown as himself, so I really enjoyed those two videos.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:58 am

Just watched it and the only one ive seen i'd completely disagree is spidey 3. But as he said alot of the reasons he liked x3, are why i hate it. I grew up on the comics and the black suit/venom were the epic we'd all been waiting before. And of course it failed.

But I did agree with him on the ones ive seen outside of that. I loved x3, matrix wasnt truly bad till the third, etc.
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:20 am

Latest Critic takes a look back at The Lost World. Great points about the preachy, PETA-ness of the heroes and their general ingratitude, hypocrisy, stupidity and mean spirited decision to leave the people that saved them without bullets to defend themselves. Rob's Jeff Goldblum impression was great.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Awesome 100th episode, if ever there was an episode to make more of an "event" with extracurricular stuff, that was it. He spent a fair amount of time on R.O.B. and the games too and at the end of the day, that's what drives the series and should be the focus of the episodes.

I also got up to speed on the latest Nostalgia Critic/Nostalgia Chick episodes, as well as the latest Ask That Guy on TGWTG. Good to see another commercials episode of Critic and the review of Inspector Gadget was pretty funny too; Matthew Broderick has sure been in some flops, Ferris Bueller's Day Off that was not. Lindsay is getting pretty creative with this Dark Nella saga, while continuing the reviews. Her latest special, a short film she made for a high school project years ago, is pretty funny too. It reminds me of similar projects when I was in high school, which were just as terrible (and hilarious because of it).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:12 pm

Latest Nostalgia Critic is another New vs Old, this time featuring The Karate Kid.

Interesting that he picked the new movie as the winner, though his analysis did outweigh any nostalgic enjoyment for the original which I guess is the whole point of the character and series. Still, given some of his criticisms of the new movie I thought he'd end up picking the original so I was surprised.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:25 am

Watched "After Hours" skits on cracked. A panel of 4 writers discuss different pop-culture topics: like what your favorite ninja turtle says about you. Worth a watch and their other videos are pretty good too.
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Latest NC took a look at "The Langoliers" and as usual, made it a whole lot more entertaining than I'm sure it would've been to watch. Loved the "Perfect Strangers" references and jokes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 am

With my connection being dodgy the last couple of weeks, I've fallen behind on my online series as it's just been too painful trying to load long videos. I did manage to catch the new AVGN where he took a look at games based on Spielberg movies. Fine ep, though it looks like everyone that's been waiting for him to review E.T. will have to wait until the AVGN movie. Hopefully my connection woes will be resolved tomorrow, so I'll be able to catch up on the latest stuff over on TGWTG.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby adv1s5 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:44 am

AVGN is a great series and does not fail to entertain, but I prefer the other videos he posts on his website, http://www.cinemassacre.com. he posts links to his movie reviews, has videos of him reviewing board games AVGN style (Board James), and is now starting "Turtle Tuesdays", a weekly look at the TMNT cartoon and other related media. Check it out.

HappyConsoleGamer channel on youtube is also one of my favorites. (http://www.youtube.com/happyconsolegamer) the name sounds like a blatant attempt to capitalize on the success of the nerd's popularity, and it well may be, but the videos he posts always makes me feel nostalgic about video games again. definitely for the hardcore retro gamer.

occasionally i go on kotaku, but the new layout for all the gawker sites is pretty off-putting. i never miss a gametrailers retrospective, which are always high quality and informative.
adv1s5

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 am

I haven't checked out too many of James' other videos but I've enjoyed the ones I have. I'll have to give Turtle Tuesdays a look.

My connection's been fixed, so I'll be checking out the last few Nostalgia Critics and other recent stuff on TGWTG.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm finally up to date with the Nostalgia Critic eps, his latest episode (Once Upon a Forest) is one of his funniest in a while in my opinion. Seems there was a bit of a cultural misunderstanding though when it comes to the word "ramble"; while his critique of that scene was still funny, he clearly misunderstood the meaning of the word in the context it was used (I'm guessing it's not as well known to Americans as it is Brits and Aussies). I still have yet to catch up with all the latest Nostalgia Chick eps though.

There should be some third anniversary content up soon, apparently Doug's putting a lot of time and energy into editing this year's project. It might be difficult to top Kickassia but apparently they've gone in a different direction this year and I'm sure whatever they've done will be entertaining, it's always fun to see all the contributors together in one big crossover along with their individual crossovers.

No new AVGN in May.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:25 am

Lindsey was tweeting about it when they filmed, she said this was even better than kickassia.
Oznogrd

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic