Does anyone here play Cricket?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Play cricket?

I play all the time
19%
I play occasionally
24%
Never Played it.
57%

Total votes : 21

Does anyone here play Cricket?

Postby bowdown on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:59 am

I notice a lot of talk about Australia here. So I was wondering how many of you play cricket. Just curious. I am from India and haven't played since I moved to USA. Used to play it a lot back in the day.
bowdown

Re: Does anyone here play Cricket?

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:33 am

if by cricket you mean baseball, it's still a no.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 am

I'm not really a fan of it, indeed I never make it a point to watch it on TV but I'd say like most Aussies I played some backyard/street cricket growing up. Last time would've been Australia Day this year and that wasn't really an organised game so much as we all took turns having a bowl and bat between beers at my friend's place.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Laxation on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 am

i play it
and qballer how bout you keep your stupidity to yourself in anything to do with subjects outside usa
Laxation
Just wants to Tri-Force

Postby NovU on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:37 pm

It's like me asking if anyone plays curling... :wink:
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby J@3 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 pm

I used to play it. Don't watch it so much anymore though, selections/Ricky Ponting have put me off it.
J@3

Postby Valor on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:08 pm

Used to play it all the time back in NZ, not anymore now though
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Kenny on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:24 am

I played junior cricket for 6 years and I really loved it. I still love watching it and I'm going to the second day of the first test. The politics and the shit talking commentators should put me off, but Richie Benaud and Bill Laurie always draw me back in :lol:
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby AMenace on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Yeah, I regularly have to save the innings for my team batting at 4 with scores of over 100 runs... Not my fault I'm the only one in the team that can bat...

Good sport, nice to see the aussies back winning again...
#thereturn
AMenace
A comeback??
Contributor

Postby bowdown on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 am

Shit huh India won the World Cup like 2 days ago. Was pretty awesome. Indians are going crazy
bowdown

Postby The X on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Thought Sri Lanka would win, but good result for India. Glad New Zealand made semis.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby yeahnah on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:18 pm

No one has commented for over eight months but I just have to seay how ridiculous is it that Usman Khawaja is being dropped for Ed Cowan is coming into the squad. I'd rather see Ponting get dropped; he has got to go.

I dislike Ussie playing, but he's a New South Welshman.

Cricketers unite?
yeahnah

Postby Kenny on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Oh gosh, I feel a bit of a rant coming on here:

reneker wrote:but I just have to seay how ridiculous is it that Usman Khawaja is being dropped for Ed Cowan is coming into the squad.

I dislike Ussie playing, but he's a New South Welshman.

I think there's been too much homerism towards New South Wales players. The last test against the Kiwis, 6 out of the 11 selected were from the Blues... and it's not like they were particularly form selections. Dave Warner is a great hitter and played well in the last innings, but there's no way he's going to do that consistently. Hughes is rubbish and didn't deserve to play any of those two games, no matter how many injuries there were. Khawaja was probably a form selection, but he couldn't really get going. Michael Clarke of course is an automatic selection and is probably the only exception in the bunch. While I like Brad Haddin, his form with the bat hasn't been great of late and his glovework at times can be downright dodgey. And Ben Cutting probably should have gotten a spot over Starc, who is really just a poor man's version of Mitchell Johnson.

I mean, the previous summer they even tried out Steve Smith! Granted he's a selection on potential, but if you're not going to utilise his spin bowling, he's a wasted selection because his batting technique is too questionable for him to be consistent.

Of the 5 non-NSW players selected, you had Ponting, who's Australia's highest run scorer of all time, Hussey who has been arguably their best batsman over the past 5 years, Siddle who has a knack of getting important wickets, Pattinson, who has been Australia's bowler of the summer so far and Lyon, who is probably Australia's best spin bowling option at this point of time.

I'd rather see Ponting get dropped; he has got to go.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one since it was written before the test, but he's been the only batsmen (apart from maybe Pattinson) who has been consistent over the course of this match.

Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative, I'm just very opinionated when it comes to cricket. I've been watching it since I was a kid and it's probably my favourite sport, along with basketball.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby yeahnah on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:54 pm

badreligionau wrote: While I like Brad Haddin, his form with the bat hasn't been great of late and his glovework at times can be downright dodgey.

In my opinion, there is no premier keeper able to come into the squad. Considering you can't go on shield form because of the Big Bash League (more on that later) it'd be unfair to drop Haddin, which won't happen until after next summer if anytime, due to the fact that there is no real challenger for the position; like Gilchrist was to Ian Healy back in the early 2000's, leading up to his debut in 2001.

...but if you're not going to utilise his spin bowling,

Ponting never bowled spinners enough, bar Shane Warne. Aside from Australia vs Pakistan at the SCG in 2010, from the '09 Ashes 'till Clarke got the captaincy, spin bowling was not appreciated by Ponting. Therefore, when Smith did get picked for those games vs Pakistan in England, he bowled depleted over and struggled getting into a rhythm. I do agree with you though about his poor technique.

In regards to the BBL, have you been watching at all? I'm a purist and I despise the T20 format, though I do sometimes watch a few of the games, and the game itself has changed. No longer are the days of a Twenty20 being a real life version of stick cricket to building a score, and going big during the fielding restrictions and at the end. The BBL could be a massive detriment to Australian cricket as there are no other forms of the game for players to shine. I'd much rather prefer the league to take place before or after the home international season; which can happen next year due to South Africa playing three tests leading up to Christmas.
yeahnah

Postby The X on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Looks like Australian bowling lineup is pretty solid. I agree with badreligionau, Ben Cutting should have been picked against Starc, especially when game was on his home Gabba pitch.

Ahh well, it worked out great since we won with our mediocre team & missing our best player in Hobart :P

I'm a Khwaja fan as well. I think his form hasn't been great, but I would like to have seen him stay in & be giving a chance in Indian series & dropped say Michael Clarke (turrible). Ponting has got a few average scores of late so hard to hate on him at moment. I don't rate Warner. Scoring a century against NZ doesn't count. I really think Katich should be opening the batting to be honest.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:22 pm

T-20 is definitely destroying the game as far as technique is concerned. Players are picking up bad habits, but the thing they have to realise is that the best batsmen in any form are superior timers of the ball. Gilchrist and Hayden were two of Australia's premier strikers, not because they try to absolutely slog every ball, but because they played actual cricket shots and timed the ball better than anyone in the game.

And reneker, you're right in the fact that there really is no clear successor to Haddin. I thought Paine was really knocking on the door a few seasons ago, but he doesn't seem to get mentioned much anymore. I guess I was trying to point out the clear bias I think Australian selectors have when it comes to players from NSW (or at least the bias they've had in previous seasons).

I don't think it's necessarily Ponting's fault on the whole spinner front. He gave lots of overs to guys like Hauritz and Krejza. Krejza was really hard done by because he got dumped after his second test, after getting 12 wickets in his first Test. Granted he went for a few runs in that Test, but in the end, he was getting wickets when others were struggling. He's fallen off the wagon a bit as well and I'm guessing being axed so quickly didn't do him any favours.

Steve Smith reminds me too much of Cameron White, who I can't stand as a cricketer. Personally I don't rate either of them, yet there has always been massive hype surrounding them (particularly Cameron White).

Khwaja was a bit unlucky. If he didn't get run out by Ponting, he probably would have broken out in that match against the Kiwis. And I do agree that Katich should still be there. He was one of the only consistent run scorers in that disasterous Ashes series last year that we will not speak about ever again. I completely agreed with him when he basically said he was dropped because of his age (and Michael Clarke).

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a Ricky Ponting homer when it comes down to it, so I've never liked the idea of Michael Clarke being captain. He's a good batsman, but to me he never seems to score runs when Australia really needs it (second innings of the Boxing Day test is a great example). Guys like Hussey and to a lesser extent, Ponting seem to do that on a regular basis, hence why I rate them above Clarke.

Anyway, it's good to have a cricket topic on the board. I'm thinking I'll post some more thoughts during the test in Sydney (which I believe starts tomorrow).
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby yeahnah on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:48 pm

On my phone from the SCG, Ponting and Clarke's partnership over the last two days was truly amazing. Good bowling performance yesterday, all the quickies impresses. Will be more in depth later, Hussey is also looking good.
yeahnah

Postby Kenny on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 am

Looks like Clarkey read my forum post... I guess I've eaten my words there. Incredible performances by him and Ponting... Hussey is looking fantastic as well. My favourite moment of the day had to be where Ponting got up all dirty from diving to the crease... it's a shame he changed his shirt the next over.

But yeah, amazing performance by Clarke; I hope he reaches the triple century (never thought I'd jump on his bandwagon).

Australia still has a problem with it's top 3. The commentators were talking about axing Cowan when Watson comes back, but I think Warner should go. He got a century, yes, but he's probably going to live off that century for the calendar year, like Jamaal Magloire lived off his 1 all-star appearance.

Then again, Dave Warner could prove me wrong :lol:
Last edited by Kenny on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Wonder if Clarke will declare before reaching Bradman's 334. (Because of the team's position rather than sentimental reasons) :wink:
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Kenny on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:37 pm

I'm glad he did because the Aussies could have gone a real long way towards winning that game had they picked up 3 or 4 in those final hours of play. India practically had nothing to gain from it. The bowlers are going really well this summer, so the more time they have, the better chance Australia have to pick up the result.

Brad Haddin :shake:

I still think his keeping is a little suspect. Granted Australia has been blessed with keepers ever since Rod Marsh, but I think Haddin makes some real elementary errors out there sometimes. Too busy chewing gum I'd say :lol:

But anyway, incredible effort from Clarke and Hussey today. I think they batted India right out of this one, but we'll see. If Tendulker, Laxman or Dhoni can fire down the order, then they're always in with a chance. Gambir seems to be going well too.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby yeahnah on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Still driving home from Sydney, so I thought I'd give a quick review of each Aussie players.

David Warner - needs to prove that his ton against a sub-par nation wasn't a one off. Wouldn't be surprising to see him dropped soon; he's still seen as a one-dimensional slogger in my eyes, but who knows? He may have scored 100 in Australia's second innings if there was one? He provides a lot of energy in the field.

Ed Cowan - great technique for an opener, however I see him getting the axe when Shane Watson comes back.. He will probably do a similar thing to Damien Martyn and come back into the squad in a few years, but he is 29 which is really working against him.

Shaun Marsh - not deserving of his place in the XI, should be Khawaja, and he is having a terrible summer. Bad shot to getout to Zaheer late on day 1.

Michael Clarke - simply phenomenal at everything he did.

Ricky Ponting - great knock and decent in the field, though he did drop Sehwag/Laxman? He claimed that he'd play until he lost interest in the game, which will be never, so a bad winter will make the public and the selectors forget about the other day.

Michael Hussey - great as well, took a good catch off of Haddin's gloves to remove Sachin.

Brad Haddin - sloppy with the gloves much like Adam Gilchrist was the summer he retired. If Tim Paine wasn't recovering from a billion broken fingers, he'd be on his way.

Peter Siddle - the true workhorse of the bowlin attack, very consistent and bowled brilliantly. He complemented the other two well.

James Pattison - good to have heaps of aggression. Injured now, terrible news for all of Oz.

Ben Hilfenhaus - the pick of the bowlers. Swung and seamed the balled brilliantly. I wasnt happy with him coming back in the team, but he had really changed my mind. Excelled.

Nathan Lyon - alright, but in India's second dig he had at least a ball an over that went for 2 or more runs. Lucky to take a wicket. He's only taken two against decent opposition this summer. Id like to see him dropped for Starc (assuming Harris comes in for Pattinson) and have Dave Warner oreven Clarke bowl his overs.

Also, Harris was bowling out the back of the members to a NSW state player and looks amillion bucks. On his bandwagon to have a massive final two tests.
yeahnah

Postby Kenny on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:03 pm

I pretty much agree with all your reviews there. I'm hoping the selectors stick with Cowan, because out of the top 3, he's probably the one that will get better as the series goes on. I think they should give Khawaja another go at 3 and drop Marsh. Marsh had an excellent debut but his series against India has been deplorable. As I said before, Brad Haddin :shake:

I had no idea Pattinson was injured. That's a big blow to the attack, but as the commentators said, Harris was probably the pick of the bowling attack before he got injured. So hopefully Harris can come back in and pick up where he left off. Hilfenhaus has improved out of sight from last summer. Last summer he looked like he wouldn't play another Test, so he deserves a lot of credit for the work he's done.

This would be my squad for the next one, keeping in mind the injuries and what not:

Cowan
Watson
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
M Hussey
Haddin :shake: (otherwise, insert arbitrary keeper who is actually keeping well)
Siddle
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Lyon

12th: Cutting

By the way, what's going on with Mitch Johnson these days? He could potentially be lethal on the WA pitch.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby yeahnah on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Perth tomorrow, bouncy wicket.

Clarke said he wasn't keen to bowl first and he also wants a spinner, so it's almost official that Starc doesn't get a go unless something changes his mind.

I'm so bloody keen!
yeahnah

Postby Kenny on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Starc gets another chance ahead of Ben Cutting. Neither team is playing a spinner, which is a surprise (particularly for India). Good to see Ryan Harris back though. Here's hoping Starc can show why he got selected, because I thought he was rubbish in the two tests against NZ. Hope Haddin also holds onto his catches.

In other news, the Heat won off a 40 run performance by my favourite kiwi, Dan Vettori :)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby yeahnah on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Well I got contradicted...

Starc just moved the ball 50cm!!!!

I read Matthew Hayden's book, he's an arrogant dick. So I hate the Heat because he plays for them. Up the 6ers.

During the Sydney test Kerry O'Keefe and the boys were discussing better names for the BBL teams, hilarious!
yeahnah

Next

Return to Off-Topic