NBA Jam coming Nov 17th - Launch Plans / Online Modes

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA Jam coming Nov 17th - Launch Plans / Online Modes

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 am

Straight from the horse's mouth
http://news.ea.com/portal/site/ea/index ... ewsLang=en
At launch, gamers will be able to take on all rivals playing Classic 2-on-2 online^ for the first time ever, measuring their success on Friends and Global Leaderboards. In December 2010, the online features for NBA JAM will expand significantly with several major online features being delivered through a free title update for connected gamers. In December, connected fans will be able to team-up locally and online to compete in Remix Games, including classic arcade hoop games like Backboard Smash, Domination Free-for-All, Elimination, and 21. Fans will also be able to make it a Jam Party online by inviting up to 3 friends to play. Plus, gamers will be able to take on the world in Online Progression, levelling up through a series of challengers and secret online JAM Challenges to unlock online exclusive rewards and hidden content in the ultimate quest for global bragging rights.

“We have listened to our NBA JAM fans and appreciate their desire to play this game online, so we are going to deliver the online feature set they expect and deserve,” said Trey Smith, Creative Director of NBA JAM. “Fans will be able to play Classic JAM online right out of the box, and can expect to enjoy features like Team-up, Remix Online, Jam Party, Online Progression, and even more secret players and teams, in December.”
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: NBA Jam coming Nov 17th - Launch Plans / Online Modes

Postby [Q] on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:56 am

Plus, gamers will be able to take on the world in Online Progression, levelling up through a series of challengers and secret online JAM Challenges to unlock online exclusive rewards and hidden content in the ultimate quest for global bragging rights.

are these secret unlockables in the wii version or are they exclusive to the big boy consoles
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:36 am

im going to go with exclusive
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 am

Why $50? Why not $60 like other games? Are they trying to say they are sorry for Elite?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:50 am

apology not accepted?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Bad Goodboy on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:41 am

Okay so NBA Elite came with this game for FREE but as a standalone it is $50? What was the MSRP of NBA Elite, $90-100? :x
I expected it to be around the 20-40 dollar range by itself... But at 50 its looking like a regular title which we all know its not...IMHO, this won't sell because of EA's greed and their low quarterly figures. Smh :shake:
Just felt so bad for EA now. :cry:
Bad Goodboy

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:50 am

um, I've been playing the $50 Wii version and the 360/PS3 is getting all of what I'm playing along with Online modes....it's well worth the $50 IMHO.

The version that was going to be included with Elite 11 was dumbed down with none of the special modes, just the classic stuff.

Anyway, no one is forcing you to buy it, if you want to wait until "greedy" EA lowers the price to $20 then go ahead. IMO the delay of Elite 11 shows them being ungreedy if anything considering they could have released it and sold it to people who dont spend their freetime on forums.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Bad Goodboy on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:19 am

“We have listened to our NBA JAM fans and appreciate their desire to play this game online, so we are going to deliver the online feature set they expect and deserve,” said Trey Smith”

Except for the Wii owners that wanted online, they don't deserve it (?). What a douche. :?
Bad Goodboy

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:56 am

Wii online is a different beast....pretty much it sucks compared to 360/PS3

now are you a Wii owner who really really wanted Jam who was going to buy the 360 or PS3 so they could get a dumbed down version of Jam for free*......or are you just being some troll who's looking for a week long ban to chill out.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Bad Goodboy on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:08 am

I'm a PC gamer who owns 2 major consoles recently, master JaoSming. A long time EA fan who just got so disappointed with the company. :(
I just came back from years of hiatus.
No I'm not trolling man, c'mon. Just stating my opinion like what this forum is for, ain't it? :?
Bad Goodboy

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 am

that's fine, but if you want to whine about something follow up on it rather than whine more
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Bad Goodboy on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:19 am

Okay. I just don't post much, only if I really felt I wanted to. But I must admit I might slip sometimes with my statements lol. Wish you'd excuse me for that :mrgreen: j/k
Bad Goodboy

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:51 am

I forget where I heard this, but I think there was a plan all along to get the full jam on the 360 and ps3 via DLC.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:10 am

it was on kotaku, i linked to it last week i think. rumored to come out around the all-star break
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:42 am

There's been a lot of talk about charging $50 for a game that was going to be free, but considering there would only have been three modes which didn't include the Remix Tour and its mini-games (which appear to be the meat/replayability of the game) and that you'd had to have shelled out money for NBA Elite 11 and then the rumoured DLC on top of that to get the full Jam experience of the Wii version plus online play, RRP isn't unreasonable for a standalone version that should've been coming all along.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby The X on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:46 pm

With the exchange rate so close to dollar for dollar with the greenback, if this game is retailing for anymore than AUD$70 then I will be disappointed. That being said, since it's got online, I'd drop $70 on it if my other mates pick it up just for some good times (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:52 am

You might find it for $70 or cheaper online. I reckon lowest you're going to see in stores is $79-$89, JB Hi-Fi being a store at the cheaper end of the scale.

EDIT: DVD Orchard is currently offering the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions on pre-order for $56.95. They usually charge about $7-8 postage, which would still bring you under $70.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:33 am

random excerpt from the review I'm mulling over and rewriting the game has you shoot either with X/Square aka the Devils button, or by holding up on the right stick and then releasing by pushing the right stick down. You have to do that motion with layups and dunks as well or else you will miss.

Feels pretty good once you get the hang on it, but having it different than Elite's push up and release was surprising to me.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby The X on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Andrew wrote:EDIT: DVD Orchard is currently offering the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions on pre-order for $56.95. They usually charge about $7-8 postage, which would still bring you under $70.

Cheers Andrew. Looks like shipping for about $3.20 so $60. Seems pretty good for me. I might check with my bro (360) & others to see if they want to get it too.

Seems like quite a few of my friends (28-30 range) who use to play it way back in the day will all be getting it. If online is good & it plays to the original standards but with HD graphics, EA could make a killing on this (Y)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:31 am

JaoSming wrote:random excerpt from the review I'm mulling over and rewriting the game has you shoot either with X/Square aka the Devils button, or by holding up on the right stick and then releasing by pushing the right stick down. You have to do that motion with layups and dunks as well or else you will miss.

Feels pretty good once you get the hang on it, but having it different than Elite's push up and release was surprising to me.

I reckon I'll stick with the face button for Jam.

The X wrote:Cheers Andrew. Looks like shipping for about $3.20 so $60. Seems pretty good for me. I might check with my bro (360) & others to see if they want to get it too.

No worries. It's been a while since I've bought anything from them and I hadn't looked into their current postage costs but if that's the case I might have to pick it up from them too. If $56.95 is going to be the RRP then I might pick it up locally though, miserly saving a couple of bucks. :P
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby The X on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:07 am

Andrew wrote:
The X wrote:Cheers Andrew. Looks like shipping for about $3.20 so $60. Seems pretty good for me. I might check with my bro (360) & others to see if they want to get it too.

No worries. It's been a while since I've bought anything from them and I hadn't looked into their current postage costs but if that's the case I might have to pick it up from them too. If $56.95 is going to be the RRP then I might pick it up locally though, miserly saving a couple of bucks. :P

I'm going to check with the local EB for the RRP then make my mind up.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:12 am

I went to DVD Orchard last night to pre-order & price has gone up $20 to about $75 for pre-order. Needless to say I didn't bother pre-ordering. Given that the Aussie dollar is now worth more the greenback, I can't really validate paying more than $60 for it.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:30 am

That's a shame. I'll still be picking it up but seems more shopping around is required for the best deal.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games