A LEGEND IS BORN III

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: A Legend Is Born III - Game 3

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Jay Gray is being shut down by the Hawks' team defense. Lai's game 1 was a flukr, thats what i was saying all along.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby |)e8* on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Come on Kings go win the next 3 games!
Thank you maksie for this kick-ass sig
|)e8*

Postby kaiser_kobe on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Looks like it will be a sweep for the Cavs and Stealth... (Y)

Go Mavs, go beat that arrogant Chara's team! :D
See it and tell me what you think.

Toys for the Big Boys.
kaiser_kobe

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:27 pm

De8 wrote:Come on Kings go win the next 3 games!

kaiser_kobe wrote:Looks like it will be a sweep for the Cavs and Stealth... (Y)

Go Mavs, go beat that arrogant Chara's team! :D

If Kings drop Game 4, I think it will be tough for them to win it.
Fresh8

Postby Mark. on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Whoop 1 game to go. Good to see Durant deffering a little.
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Mark. wrote:Whoop 1 game to go. Good to see Durant deffering a little.

Yeah, wait for the chapter to come out for why and/or how. :)
Fresh8

Postby hova- on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Okay, this will be a sweep. Mavs and Kings are really having some high scoring battles in there. I hope Dirk wins a title that late in his career.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Valor on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Damn, J-Kidd missed out again on a triple-double, nice win though. Bring out the brooms :cool:

and YES!!! MAVS UPSET ONCE AGAIN!! :mrgreen: Nice to see my virtual self bounce back from a terrible game

Oh, it aint no fluke, give me minutes and i'll drop 20+ all day long, just wait and see
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby The X on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Destroy the Warriors. I don't forget what they did to the Mavs & my Nuggets (N) Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!

Funny how since you did a feature on Jay Gray, he's been averaging a very modest 14ppg, 10rpg series. Funny thing is his Bucks are getting job done. Gray is great. He doesn't mind deferring to get his teammates going. Must still has a lot to learn, especially when trying to compare himself to a player like Jay Gray :bowdown:

Bringing Back Memories Of The Glory Days
Is Milwaukee’s rookie forward the most significant big man since Lew Alcindor?

April 2, 2011

By Woody Hannes
ESPN.com Writer

If I were to make predictions as accurate as this one, I’m pretty sure I would not be working here for ESPN. The correct prediction does not display any kind of prowess on my part, it was just that this prediction was a no-brainer. Jay Gray was a ‘sure thing’; after all, it’s not every day that Gregg Popovich says that a player could ‘turn a franchise around.’

That’s right! As far as everything is concerned, Jay Gray was always going to be the real deal. In the eyes of respected coaches such as Pop as well as the hoards of NBA scouts and execs at his games for TCU, and in the eyes of guys like you and I; we all knew that Gray was going to be successful.

So let’s just see where I was right. The Bucks weren’t going to let Gray slip past two? Check. Gray is strong enough and smart enough to make a huge impact in the NBA? 20 points, 13 boards, 2 blocks: check. Gray should unanimously win Rookie of the Year? Unless Ray Lliach gets the voters on his side, it’s pretty hard to go past Gray so… check.

Seriously, the only thing Jay Gray has not done is get his team into the actual playoffs but that wasn’t entirely his own fault as the team has done so well with him at the helm after trading away Andrew Bogut earlier in the season. Gray has been phenomenal and the Bucks have actually grown into a respectable team. Gray’s numbers keep rising and don’t be surprised if he gets close to the averages he held in his last season of college ball during his sophomore NBA season. He is just that good.

Gray averaged 25 points, 15 rebounds, and close to 3 blocks during his last year at TCU. In comparison, his 20, 13, 2 do not look too shabby at all. In fact, he’s probably exceeded everyone’s expectations. The ever modest Gray even stated a few weeks ago, “I’ve surprised myself with how well I have adjusted to the NBA game.”

All of the success Gray has had can be attributed to his hard work. Listed at 6’9”, Gray is often said to be close to 6’6”. Many say he is 6’7” and only to be ‘generous’. As San Antonio Spur Tim Duncan said after a close encounter against Gray, “You never know how short he is until you see him. Lining up for tipoff, I felt so much taller than him but the way he plays makes you bite your tongue and take those words back. He is brutal.” Portland Trailblazers PF Carlos Boozer echoed the same sentiments, “Jay Gray is probably one of the best players I have ever played against. He is small but packs a punch.”

Gray’s success and his height disadvantage shouldn’t be seen as unusual as Gray models his game after one of the all-time greats, Charles Barkley. Barkley was shorter than most of the guys at his position too. Like Gray, Barkley stood tall and was a force to be reckoned with. Orlando’s Dwight Howard said, “I can’t believe I didn’t even pick it, the fact that Charles Barkley and Jay Gray are so alike.”

Gray works hard at his game. He is usually the first to make it to practice and then lifting weights to keep up his strength and conditioning. The tireless, hard work has surely paid off throughout the season and Gray admits that it’s a shame that he did not start the season so strong. “It took a while for me to get my feet wet and adjust to the pace of the NBA game,” Gray explains, “But now that I know what it takes, I can be ready to make a bigger impact at the start of next season.”

Gray also promises that there is more in stall for Milwaukee, “This is only the start of something big.”

Bucks fans are excited at the prospect of Gray fulfilling his promise for Milwaukee. It has been a long time since Lew Alcindor teamed up with Oscar Robertson to deliver a title to the Bucks. Alcindor was a dominant big man himself and Gray knows that Bucks fans sure are happy to see him around. Gray is a smart guy and knows that everyone loves him. But being the modest man and hard worker he is, he only brushes all of the bravado aside, “I’m here to help lead the team but without my team mates, there would be no me. These guys are part of my success and I thank them for that. I like to look at the bigger picture. We’re in this together.”

Not only is Gray a great basketball player; he has a most-humble personality and also professionalism to the highest degree to boot. What is there to hate about Gray? Nothing. You just cannot make yourself do that. And that is the beauty in all of this!

In a world of LeBron James’ and Moses Chara’s, it’s rare to find a star like Gray. He is a total gem.

And the best forward to come to the Bucks since Lew Alcindor?

Yes indeed.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 pm

hova- wrote:Okay, this will be a sweep. Mavs and Kings are really having some high scoring battles in there. I hope Dirk wins a title that late in his career.

But he will have to get past me man. Do you really want to see that?

Valor wrote:Damn, J-Kidd missed out again on a triple-double, nice win though. Bring out the brooms :cool:

and YES!!! MAVS UPSET ONCE AGAIN!! :mrgreen: Nice to see my virtual self bounce back from a terrible game

Oh, it aint no fluke, give me minutes and i'll drop 20+ all day long, just wait and see

It was a fluke. :)

The X wrote:Destroy the Warriors. I don't forget what they did to the Mavs & my Nuggets (N) Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!

Funny how since you did a feature on Jay Gray, he's been averaging a very modest 14ppg, 10rpg series. Funny thing is his Bucks are getting job done. Gray is great. He doesn't mind deferring to get his teammates going. Must still has a lot to learn, especially when trying to compare himself to a player like Jay Gray :bowdown:

I'm glad you still remember that article from ALIB II. :) It was a fun one to write. Jay Gray has grown a lot since I wrote it.

Yep, definitely a class player. He doesn't force the issue and shares the rock around. He makes Liam L-Train Washburn look like an All-Star. The Bucks were one of the weakest teams in the postseason and they have made it this far. Must might have the individual accolades but Gray is the quiet achiever and hard worker. (Y)

As I've said before, I'm pretty sure everyone wants a Jay Gray over a Euro Flopper like Must. :D
Fresh8

Postby The X on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 pm

I actually forgot the article but I was just going through your previous thread flicking through as I was looking for something & I randomly came across that & I thought it was good timing to re-post it :P
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:05 pm

The X wrote:I actually forgot the article but I was just going through your previous thread flicking through as I was looking for something & I randomly came across that & I thought it was good timing to re-post it :P

May I ask what you were looking for? :mrgreen:
Fresh8

Postby George7 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Good luck on Game 4!
Sweep GS!I'm sure Durant can seriously wipe this out!
George7

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Off-Contract Rocket Admires Bucks Star

MILWAUKEE, May 5 (AP) – Off-contract SG Andrew Watson may have hinted at his desire to play with the Milwaukee Bucks next season. The 4 year pro recently went on record full of praise for the Bucks' Jay Gray. Watson, a New Zealand native, has been keeping a close eye on the NBA postseason and has been impressed by Gray's leadership and the Bucks' results.

The X stated, "Funny thing is his (Gray's) Bucks are getting (the) job done. Gray is great. He doesn't mind deferring to get his teammates going. (Martti) Must still has a lot to learn, especially when trying to compare himself to a player like Jay Gray." Watson has remained mum on his playing future with plenty of offers coming in from Europe. However, his latest comments about linking up with compatriot Mark Moore and, now, comments about Jay Gray have raised thoughts that he may be committed to staying in the NBA.

Read More…

Martti Must Responds To The X

NEW YORK, May 6 (AP) – All-NBA First Team forward Martti Must has taken fire at Andrew Watson for his comment: "(Martti) Must still has a lot to learn, especially when trying to compare himself to a player like Jay Gray." The Estonian was furious that The X took aim at him and replied, "I'm a first team all-league player. Who is he? Who does he think he is?"

"Does he even know what he's talking about?" Must continued in his tirade during a call to a local sports radio station, "Check out my stats bitch. He's just a hater."

Must also revealed that he has been talking to Spanish PF and former Grizzlies player Pau Gasol about impending free agency. He said, "I asked Pau for some guidance and how to make a decision. I also asked him for his thoughts and opinion of the Grizzlies franchise. It was a good discussion." Memphis are worried that Must might leave the team just like how Cleveland Cavaliers SF Rudy Gay did. However, they have not been committed to the PF as they are also looking at offering maximum deals to other free agents this Summer.

Read More…

Bryant To Lai: Don't Compare Yourself To Me

LOS ANGELES, May 8 (AP) – Dallas Mavericks rookie Leo Lai is probably going to have a few sleepless nights after LA Lakers legend, Kobe Bryant, and the player he has looked up since his teens told him to "stop comparing himself to me (Bryant)." The recent comment sure is going to hurt the young Chinese swingman who comes off the bench for the Mavs.

Bryant stated in an interview from his family home, "Are you kidding me? I don't even know him. Is he saying he's like me?" Bryant then laughed and continued, "No, I don't know him. I've seen him sit on the bench a lot. He doesn't even play like me at all. Not even like how I was when I was his age. Don't compare yourself to me kid." Bryant laughed off Lai's insistence that he was like his idol and also smirked when told that he was getting a lot of good press recently with his performances off the bench for the Mavs, "If he's been getting good press, it must only be in Dallas and Japan or wherever he comes from."

"Please tell me you're joking!" Bryant states at the end of the interview. Lai (who comes from Hong Kong, China) has always mentioned Bryant as his inspiration; it will be interesting to see if that will change.

Read More…
Last edited by Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fresh8

Postby The X on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Sit wrote:
The X wrote:I actually forgot the article but I was just going through your previous thread flicking through as I was looking for something & I randomly came across that & I thought it was good timing to re-post it :P

I thought I would steal all your ideas & become the greatest Association story ever. Yes, don't know what to call it though, "An Urban Legend Is Spawn - Episode 1".

In all seriousness, usually when making new templates for new Associations I usually draw primarily on my past dynasties/Associations (Bobcats, Blazers, Bucks etc) & adjust it slightly to suit my mood of the Association. If I recall something that somebody else has done well in the past, then I will go back & try to find it & use it for inspiration to give me more ideas. Don't worry Will, you don't mind that Woody Haynes is my new feature writer, do you? :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:25 pm

The X wrote:
Sit wrote:

I thought I would steal all your ideas & become the greatest Association story ever. Yes, don't know what to call it though, "An Urban Legend Is Spawn - Episode 1".

In all seriousness, usually when making new templates for new Associations I usually draw primarily on my past dynasties/Associations (Bobcats, Blazers, Bucks etc) & adjust it slightly to suit my mood of the Association. If I recall something that somebody else has done well in the past, then I will go back & try to find it & use it for inspiration to give me more ideas. Don't worry Will, you don't mind that Woody Haynes is my new feature writer, do you? :lol:

Woody has been an inspiration to all. You may use him. :)

Are you gonna use the same template?

And I can't even remember how I came up with his name. :lol:
Fresh8

Re: A Legend Is Born III - The X on Martti. ::: Martti. Resp

Postby Valor on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:50 pm

:lol: awesome article, i got no comments since I'm concentrated on helping my team lay a beatdown on Chara
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Valor wrote::lol: awesome article, i got no comments since I'm concentrated on helping my team lay a beatdown on Chara

Edited it to make it even better. :)

Just to shut you up bro. :applaud:
Fresh8

Postby Valor on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:00 am

Sit wrote:
Valor wrote::lol: awesome article, i got no comments since I'm concentrated on helping my team lay a beatdown on Chara

I don't really mind that he thinks im from japan :lol: and yea, im focused on the series i'm in, not about someone who cant get into the playoffs
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:12 am

Valor wrote:
Sit wrote:

I don't really mind that he thinks im from japan :lol: and yea, im focused on the series i'm in, not about someone who cant get into the playoffs

Someone with 4 rings. You got none. And no minutes.
Fresh8

Postby newc on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:17 am

I'm gonna support my fellow from Baltics - stop hating on Martti :P :D
newc

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:24 am

newc wrote:I'm gonna support my fellow from Baltics - stop hating on Martti :P :D

Ah, Janis Kalnins joins the debate huh?
Fresh8

Postby hova- on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 am

Those three news are top notch - making this D just the best ever ;) I love the interactive thing. I hope that the Bucks rather take me and not the X :)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 am

hova- wrote:Those three news are top notch - making this D just the best ever ;) I love the interactive thing. I hope that the Bucks rather take me and not the X :)

Thanks Hov. I dunno if I'm more harsh on Martti or Valor. :lol:

And Bucks already got Mike Conley who is doing very well... They do need an upgrade at SG but I don't think they have the cap space to sign anyone. Got some really big contracts... Jamison might be off books this season though. :)
Fresh8

Postby newc on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:36 am

Sit wrote:
newc wrote:I'm gonna support my fellow from Baltics - stop hating on Martti :P :D

Ah, Janis Kalnins joins the debate huh?

Yeah, the new-Dirk wants to remind everybody about himself, although he is not playing in the play-offs :D
newc

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame