A LEGEND IS BORN III

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: A Legend Is Born III - Woody Hannes and Reshawn Tyson

Postby Martti. on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Damn, I knew Ty would sit for the fourth, just didn't think he would sit the entire fourth quarter.

Great, great job with the article! (Y) Enjoyed it a lot!
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Lamrock on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:02 am

Great article. Long, but very very good. Woody has really developed as a writer. :P Also pretty sick that I nailed the prediction.
Lamrock

Postby Houndy on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:50 am

I failed Sit :P I would pay to see Sacramento @ Stealth Game 7 WCF that goes into OT :cheeky:
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:23 am

I have to agree man. Your best article ever. Really enjoyed it. I must admit that's the direction I want to point in my journalism classes.

Clap clap clap for you.
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
X-Men: The Animated Series ×
× Watched:
Thief (1981), The Pigeon Tunnel (2023), Kindergarten Cop (1990) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Martti. wrote:Damn, I knew Ty would sit for the fourth, just didn't think he would sit the entire fourth quarter.

Great, great job with the article! (Y) Enjoyed it a lot!

Thanks man. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Lamrock wrote:Great article. Long, but very very good. Woody has really developed as a writer. :P Also pretty sick that I nailed the prediction.

Woody Hannes should take over some of those 'writers' at ESPN right this moment!

Yeah, you have 124 points to use now!

Houndy66 wrote:I failed Sit :P I would pay to see Sacramento @ Stealth Game 7 WCF that goes into OT :cheeky:

That Game 7 wasn't a very good game unfortunately.

Thierry. wrote:I have to agree man. Your best article ever. Really enjoyed it. I must admit that's the direction I want to point in my journalism classes.

Clap clap clap for you.
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I finished my major in journalism and I have to say that nothing I learnt contributed to this... it's a piece of shit degree.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:36 pm

March 1, 2013
Kidd: Second Greatest PG of All-Time?
By Willard Smith

Jason Kidd reached 1400 games last night after the Seattle Stealth did battle on their home court against the defending NBA champion Atlanta Hawks. Kidd finished with 11 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists in the 116-105 win. After the game, he brushed over a question about his new milestone and instead opted to look ahead to April, “I’m looking forward to the playoffs.” That’s the true modesty of a future Hall of Famer right there. Kidd’s future remains unclear. He is to turn 40 at the end of this month and he comes off contract after the season. Many pundits believe that he will retire and I believe that would be true if he were to win a championship with the Stealth. However, what happens if the Stealth fail to do that. Would Kidd come back for another season?

This brings me to a little bit of fun. If Kidd were to return, where could his numbers end up? This is a big deal – it could determine where Kidd ranks on the list of all-time great point guards. We will take a quick look at where he’s at:

Rebounds: 8,997
    Assists: 13,141
    Steals: 2,685
    Games: 1,400

Say that Kidd plays another 2 seasons (including the remaining 23 games of this season) and is at full health, he would be playing an additional 187 games. For the purposes of our estimations, let’s say he plays another 175 games before calling it quits. Where will his numbers be when it’s all said and done?

Points: He is definitely able to go over 20,000 for his career. If Kidd were to average 7 ppg to close out his playing career, he’d get to 20,374. That’s good for a place in the top 40 on the all-time scorers’ list.

Rebounds: His 8,997 rebounds ranks him in the top 50 on the all-time rebounding list; not bad for a point guard. Getting to 9,500 would be a nice milestone and achievable as it would require him to grab 2.9 rebounds over 175 games.

Assists: Stockton’s 15,806 assists will not be broken by Kidd unless he averages more than 15 assists over the next two years. However, he is a firm second place all-time. He should pass 14,500 if he averages 8 dimes over 175 games. That sounds possible given the scoring talent in Seattle.

Steals: As mentioned above, Stockton is going to be impossible to catch. The Jazz legend had 3,265 for his career. If it’s much consolation, Kidd ranks ahead of Michael Jordan’s 2,514. Just 1.8 steals over 175 games will get Kidd to 3000 steals. That might not happen with Kidd being a lot slower than he used to be.

Games: Kidd won’t reach Robert Parish’s 1611 games unless he’s going to play till he’s 44/45. However, if Kidd plays another two years and as injury-free as possible; Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s 1560 games is a very possible achievement.

If Kidd’s career were to end how I have predicted, where does that put him on the list of all-time great point guards? I got a definite top 3 in my mind (some of you may digress). I always have Magic Johnson as number 1 and I think it’s a very firm spot at the top. You cannot argue against his 5 NBA titles. My top three is rounded off by John Stockton and Jason Kidd. That’s where the problem arises; who is better?

Let’s compare the two of them with the numbers I have estimated for Kidd, if he were to play another 175 games:

John Stockton: 19,711 points/4051 rebounds/15806 assists/3265 steals/1504 games/19 years
    Hypothetical Kidd: 20,374 points/9609 rebounds/14541 assists/3000 steals/1575 games/21 years

Stockton is the all-time leader for assists and steals but Kidd is the better all-around point guard. How relevant is it to his argument if Kidd ends up second in assists, steals but wins in points, games, seasons played and doubles Stockton in rebounds? Will the fact that Stockton playing for one team over his entire career matter? Picking one ahead of the other isn’t easy. There is one thing that would tip the scales in the debate between the two players and that would be an NBA championship. And we all know only one of these two can change that. If Kidd wins a ring, I’m picking him as the second best point guard of all-time – even if he doesn’t end up with the numbers that I’ve guessed above.

The final verdict? If Kidd wins a ring before he retires, I would call him the second greatest point guard of all-time. If he doesn’t, Stockton pushes him to third. But the margin between the two of them is thisclose.

Thoughts?
Fresh8

Re: A Legend Is Born III - Ball Don't Lie: JKidd

Postby Eirsej on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:12 pm

John Stockton is what I call, a natural point guard. He doesn't score much, but his court vision and passing ability is beyond amazing. Jason Kidd is more like an all around point guard. Cause aside from passing he can also rebound. From a pg standpoint I would say Stockton is still the better one based from his stats, but Kidd is a better all around player. But i think, like you said, a ring for jason would be the difference for them.
Eirsej

Postby Houndy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 am

1000th post :D Gratz on that Sit Do I get something for getting 1000th post on
this :cheeky:
Houndy

Postby rise on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:12 am

Do I get something for the 1000th reply? :P
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:37 am

Sit wrote:I finished my major in journalism and I have to say that nothing I learnt contributed to this... it's a piece of shit degree.

I love it when people preach the truth. :lol:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 am

Sit wrote:I finished my major in journalism and I have to say that nothing I learnt contributed to this... it's a piece of shit degree.

Didn't know you were on journalism too man! Despite the wonderful articles, I had to figure. :shake: Or it was a joke? (after reading shadow's post) :lol:

No doubt Kidd is in the Top 5 PG's ever.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby dare on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Nice article again, I'm bias here Kidd is on of my favorite player so I think Kidd is definitely no.2.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Martti. on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Nice article, though I doubt Kidd can still go for two years. I think he'll call it quits after this season.

Congrats on reaching 1000 replies as well. (Y)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Thierry. wrote:

Didn't know you were on journalism too man! Despite the wonderful articles, I had to figure. :shake: Or it was a joke? (after reading shadow's post) :lol:

No doubt Kidd is in the Top 5 PG's ever.

It wasn't a joke. A lot of my journalism graduate friends don't even get jobs in the industry. Tough to break into. And a lot of stuff learnt in Uni doesn't give you the real skills. In fact, one said that their boss laughed at them. You don't learn anything in journalism. I did it for a bit of fun because I do Law as well as Economics. Too bad it won't get me anywhere - same with economics because an economist is not really a professional position.

Martti. wrote:Nice article, though I doubt Kidd can still go for two years. I think he'll call it quits after this season.

Congrats on reaching 1000 replies as well. (Y)

I hope he does play on but unsure. It's pretty cool because it's the computer that decides... hopefully he will sign a new contract. :)
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:30 pm

Thank You!

I would like to extend a big thank you to everyone who is reading and following this story. After 6 months, I have made it past 20 pages, 1000 replies, 10000 views. I feel that it is an achievement, seeing that it is the second largest association after the story that is a prelude to this one and just ahead of Lamrock’s one: Nellieball.

I also extend a warm welcome to everyone who has just started to follow this story. There are a few of you in here and I will say that I won’t name any of you in this post but please do not feel like I have forgotten you. It is more of a fact that the others I name have been there from the beginning and I would like to honour them first; maybe if you are all still around by the end of this story, you will get a shout out too.

The first person I must thank is Lamrock. As you all would know, this story really hit a bump in the road. I was a bit ambitious with skipping one whole season and trying to recap it. After all of the recaps and then the season previews, I lost my motivation for it. It was Lamrock who held the fort for the 2k story section and that inspired to make my comeback; conveniently just after he retired Nellieball. He’s also been the most avid follower of this association story and I must thank him for his following; since the ALIB days back in 06/07.

Now there’s a bunch of you here that I must acknowledge together. Mark, Hova, Martti, Thierry, Valor. These guys have been following since ALIB II. Big ups to you guys. I know Hova, Mark, Valor don’t post as often but I do know for a fact that they are still following. So thank you very much. Thank you to Hova for your kind words that I am taking this futher than any other story. If anyone on these forums knows me (and that would be The X), I’m sure they would agree that I love a challenge.

My challenge here is to continue drawing your attention and giving you this story. I hope that this is the case with the current edition, which I must say is my last!

Special mention also to Thierry. You make it look impossible for anyone to make this milestone so I really look like I’ve pulled off quite a feat. Thanks brother! :P (You know I’m just pulling your leg)

I know that there’s others here and I acknowledge that I know who you are. Thanks for following and hopefully I can lead the Stealth to an NBA title. We’re heading into the final third of the season and it won’t be long to the playoffs! (I must note that I am taking a small break from this. Updates have been pretty regular but I do need some time to recuperate and we will get back into it for the most exciting part of the season with your Seattle Stealth.)

I hope you all enjoy!

Stay fresh, keep it real,

Sit
Fresh8

Re: A Legend Is Born III - Milestone Post: Thank you!

Postby Houndy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Goooo
Stealth
Houndy

Postby puttincomputers on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:08 pm

I follow everyday as well!
Dynasty: Puttins Bobcats yr1 http://manfrednba2k11bobcatdynasty.blogspot.com/
taking draft applications!
2010-11 Playoffs - Cats beat Celtics in 5!

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”
Arthur Schopenhauer- German philosopher (1788 - 1860)
puttincomputers

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:43 pm

puttincomputers wrote:I follow everyday as well!

Sorry Manfred, forgot to mention you! :)
Fresh8

Postby |)e8* on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 am

Me too lol anywayz gratz man
Thank you maksie for this kick-ass sig
|)e8*

Postby Houndy on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:29 am

I follow everyday... For points :? Just kidding :mrgreen:
Houndy

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am

Sit wrote:A lot of my journalism graduate friends don't even get jobs in the industry. Tough to break into.

Yep it's also tough around here. But it's my passion, and hopefully something will come around. :D

Brother, also thanks a lot for the special mention. Hopefully, someday I'll do a tenth portion of this milestone you already did like 4 times. Look out for my 2k11 story! :bowdown:
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby dare on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Congrats on the milestone, now it's time for the Stealth to have a title (Y)
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Lamrock on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Congrats on another 1K+ reply dynasty, and cheers for the shout-out. Truly the best dynasty story ever.
Lamrock

Postby Houndy on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 pm

When I saw "999 replies" I was like Holy Shit, I can get 1000th
Houndy

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:31 pm

De8 wrote:Me too lol anywayz gratz man

I know you follow. (Y) Don't worry about that. Your rookie will be rewarded with your loyalty.

Thierry. wrote:
Sit wrote:A lot of my journalism graduate friends don't even get jobs in the industry. Tough to break into.

Yep it's also tough around here. But it's my passion, and hopefully something will come around. :D

Well, I hope you don't treat it like a dynasty/association story. :P

dare wrote:Congrats on the milestone, now it's time for the Stealth to have a title (Y)

Thanks dare! :)

You are also one of the more regular followers, I am happy to be one of those who inspired you to make dynasty stories.

Lamrock wrote:Congrats on another 1K+ reply dynasty, and cheers for the shout-out. Truly the best dynasty story ever.

Thanks man. So which of the trilogy do you prefer? :P

I've really tried to make ALIB III the neatest one in terms of presentation and story-wise. The fact I'm winning so well is an added bonus. However, I do think ALIB II was pretty epic because it lasted so long and had a few decent playoff runs... with your buddies Nash and Blazers standing in the way each time.

Houndy66 wrote:When I saw "999 replies" I was like Holy Shit, I can get 1000th

Good on you. :lol:
Fresh8

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame