A LEGEND IS BORN III

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: A Legend Is Born III - Chapter 9: Welcome AI

Postby dare on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:14 am

I'd say 79, he isn't better than Kobe :)
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Houndy on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 am

Why Moses Chara isn't what everyone thinks he is
By Willie Lewis, Senior Point Guard at LSU
I had been thinking about not doing this interview with Moses Chara as apart of ESPN's Draft Class Journalism Program, but I accepted, knowing that I could learn some things from the self-proclaimed MVP.
As I stepped inside Arco Arena, I could see some of the other King Players shooting around. But all of the cameras, people, and fans were looking at Chara. He was nailing shots left and right. I approached him.
"Hey Moses!" I Yelled out to him.

"You're Willie Lewis?" said Chara, running over to me.

"Yup." I replied.
We walked to the locker room, painted a solid Purple with the King Logo everywhere. Moses first showed me around, then pulled two stools up.

Chara spoke about his college rival, Reshawn Tyson,[TOP] and showed off the picture which was taken at the All Star game by Woody Haynes[BOTTOM]
"Gatorade?" He asked, pulling 2 Grape Gatorades out of Fridge.

"Thanks." I replied, shocked by how polite he was off the court.

"Well, let's get right to the subject bro. Do you still want to do over that championship game?" I asked.

"Hell yes brother. That was one of the times I regretted getting an injury. I felt powerless to see my team lose. I felt like a fool, bafoon, failure." replied Chara, obviously emotional.

"Next question. When you were drafted number 1 overall, how did you feel?"

"It felt like I was in heaven. Of course, by the look of Mr. Stern, he looked at me like I was a total immature joke. Which was true, I acted bad. Not professional."
I felt like this guy was regretting his past. Like he was a different person, a smarter person. He wasn't the Moses Chara the media knew. He was someone else.

"I have a question. Why do you act so cocky, you never acknowledge anything about any other player, and you criticize others for an All-Star Game, which is as meaningless as crap. What's so special about criticizing others? Is it fun?"

Moses opened his mouth, obviously to object claiming he wasn't any of those. But he stopped, and thought.

"You know, you make a point kid. There was no point of criticizing people during an All-Star game. I guess since LeBron was criticizing me...."

"You're the one who went up to him and challenged him, he didn't even say anything." I interrupted boldly.

"Yeah. Kid, you would be perfect for Sacramento. Demand for a trade if you don't make it here."

"Hell no. I would rather get drafted by the Mavs." I said chuckling.

"Anyway, another question. What do you think of the situation between-"

"Reshawn Tyson and Kevin Durant?" Chara interrupted, "It's hell there. I feel bad for them."

"Do you think they can bring it together?"

"Hell no. Those guys will never be on the same page unless they get plastic surgery and one becomes shorter." said Chara, as we both shared a chuckle.

"Well Mr. Chara, it's time for me to go. Thanks for the interview."

"No Problem Bro, just remember, the Kings are the place to be."

We left the locker room, shaking hands, as Chara handed me a Kings Jersey. "Imagine us, Number 31 and Number 33, the kick ass duo." He said smiling.
"Hell yes." I said.

We both shook hands, and left. Chara had given me tickets to see a Kings game, so I prepared to watch a show by him. He lit it up, scorching the opponent for 40 points and 5 rebounds, not to forget his 3 assists and blocks.
Maybe Chara isn't a bad guy after all. I mean, it only took a future rookie to get his true feelings out, right?

Willie Lewis is a professional basketball player entering the NBA Draft. He went to Louisiana State University, where he averaged 20 points and 9 assists as a Point Guard, leading his Tigers to the Elite Eight, only to be knocked out by the Duke Blue Devils. In his spare time, Mr. Lewis likes to play NBA Elite 13 (Most of the time on Dynasty Mode) and read books.
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 am

Houndy66 wrote:ESPN's Draft Class Journalism Program

I didn't know ESPN had journalist.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 am

Lamrock wrote:I bet Ty ends up scoring just 60 before Karl decides to commence garbage time. Will consider another article.

Sit

And Hondo, good attempt at an article but doesn't fit in with the association. You make Chara sound way too nice and those views of Durant/Tyson are totally not reflecting how I have portrayed him. Sorry!
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Houndy on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Sit wrote:
Lamrock wrote:I bet Ty ends up scoring just 60 before Karl decides to commence garbage time. Will consider another article.

Sit

And Hondo, good attempt at an article but doesn't fit in with the association. You make Chara sound way too nice and those views of Durant/Tyson are totally not reflecting how I have portrayed him. Sorry!

But doesn't everyone in Curseland, I mean Cleveland hate Lebron, and the rest of the world doesn't. Different views :D
Houndy

Postby Mark. on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:57 pm

I dont live in cleveland and I hate LeBron :P
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Mark. wrote:I dont live in cleveland and I hate LeBron :P

Agreed, always thought he was a jerk.

Houndy66 wrote:
Sit wrote:

Sit

But doesn't everyone in Curseland, I mean Cleveland hate Lebron, and the rest of the world doesn't. Different views :D

Not possible to have this different view of Chara. He could be portrayed differently but some things can't. He hates Durant and he hates Ty. And he is arrogant and cocky as portrayed in the story.
Fresh8

Postby Houndy on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Sit wrote:

Houndy66 wrote:
Sit wrote:

Sit

Not possible to have this different view of Chara. He could be portrayed differently but some things can't. He hates Durant and he hates Ty. And he is arrogant and cocky as portrayed in the story.

In the story, though not the article. Chara is a cockass on the court but what about off?
Houndy

Postby Clutch on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Ty for 76. Stamp it.
Clutch
^ Life... currently :\

Postby Lamrock on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Sit wrote:Not possible to have this different view of Chara. He could be portrayed differently but some things can't. He hates Durant and he hates Ty. And he is arrogant and cocky as portrayed in the story.

Eh, I don't know. He played at Duke all four years and never engaged in any superdickery like KD. Houndy's interpretation may be extreme, but he's a lot more likable than the Durantula.
Lamrock

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Lamrock wrote:
Sit wrote:Not possible to have this different view of Chara. He could be portrayed differently but some things can't. He hates Durant and he hates Ty. And he is arrogant and cocky as portrayed in the story.

Eh, I don't know. He played at Duke all four years and never engaged in any superdickery like KD. Houndy's interpretation may be extreme, but he's a lot more likable than the Durantula.

Look for any of the matchups between Chara and Tyson from ALIB I. I think I have somehow made Durant a dick of epic proportions though. But Chara would never give a shit about Seattle. He just wants to kill them.

Houndy66 wrote:
Sit wrote:

Houndy66 wrote:
Sit wrote:

Sit

In the story, though not the article. Chara is a cockass on the court but what about off?

He and Durant had an altercation in the last Olympics and also in the Western Conference Finals. And also after a regular season game he was being an ass. :)
Fresh8

Re: A Legend Is Born III

Postby |)e8* on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Ty for 80
Thank you maksie for this kick-ass sig
|)e8*

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Any other guesses? Answer is coming very soon! :)
Fresh8

Postby Justine. on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Ty scored 84.
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:44 pm

What if I get it right, can the points be given to the NLSCer of my choosing?

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:11 am

shadowgrin wrote:What if I get it right, can the points be given to the NLSCer of my choosing?

Yeah, that's a good idea :)

You can participate in all the competitions and give your points away. Who's your favorite NLSCer?

NOTE: What follows is what I feel is my best article that I've written for my associations. I know it might be a little long but it's supposed to be an ESPN.com feature article. :)

Let me know what you guys think!
Last edited by Fresh8 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh8

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:12 am

Updated: February 27, 2013
The Tragic Tale Of Tyson
Many believe that a sport star’s money and fame are all they need in life but Reshawn Tyson knows the truth
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before it all fell apart: Making his All-Star Game debut, Tyson threw down the play of the game

By Woody Hannes
ESPN.com Writer

This article was supposed to have been published two days ago. However, in light of a magical performance from the subject of this piece, I was forced to postpone. It was only appropriate for me to fix this story accordingly to reflect the event in Seattle when Washington visited town. I’ve met Reshawn Tyson numerous times and the last time I did was when I wrote this article. In hindsight, I must say that this time was the most rewarding and meaningful interview I’ve ever had with him but that should come as no surprise after he came out to the media last week. My aim is to share with you everything that I learned about Tyson. His story is remarkable and one that reinforces the reality that all of those famous people we put high on a pedestal are human as well...

When Reshawn Tyson’s agent approached me to do an interview with his client, I thought it was just another run-of-the-mill jobs. You know those ones where I meet the player, talk to them about some issues (like how the team is going, how they are improving, their outlook on their game, etc.) and then try and manufacture something for you folk to read. But when I arrived in Seattle and joined a pack of media in the Stealth boardroom, I was bracing for the worst.

But the worst was even worse than what I expected; what I thought could have been ‘the worst’.

In my mind, I envisioned Tyson saying the following: I’ve decided to test free agency when the season is over. I’ve had it with Seattle (Even though there were those undertones during the press conference and also in my interview with him afterwards). The reality was far worse than that as he gave an emotional explanation and run down of his life. He wanted his fans to know. And he wanted the world to know.

In recent days, I have heard that many people are calling him an ‘attention-seeker’ for holding the press conference. I could not disagree anymore with that. People say that ‘he is a millionaire, he should suck it up.’ What I want to tell these people is that this guy would have found it a heck lot easier keeping it in then letting it all out. I asked him why he felt it necessary to let everyone know and I felt that he justified it legitimately. He said, “I just wanted to show everyone that I am human and that I can connect with them. I’ve been through a lot and it got to the point where the most important thing for me was to let it out and admit that I have a problem. I wanted to feel in control. When you are who I am, everything has to be said in public. I might as well do it all at once.”

I believe that his reasons were valid. And all I have is admiration for him. He has shown everyone a human quality that no sporting stars show off – love. I know that 99% of NBA players would not have come out like Tyson did because it would be construed as a sign of weakness attracting ridicule. I’m glad that he did this – not only for himself but for everyone. He’s showing that to fight battles like his, one has to speak out loud. Any other player would be in denial and convince themselves that their riches and status are all that matter in their lives. For Tyson to come out and admit that loved ones trump all the material things; I just believe that’s a beautiful message.

The Press Conference

Tyson elaborated on why he decided to open up to the world. It was at the urging of some of his closest friends and his psychologist, “I actually stopped seeing my shrink a long time ago,” Tyson explains, “But when everything happened in the past fortnight, I knew I had to go back. She (his psychologist) told me that I had to confront this sadness by being strong and feeling in control. I guess I have always had control issues, I’ve never felt myself to be in total control and I’m scared to lose control.”

Tyson thought back to how every time he would cope with a personal tragedy by blaming himself. The guilt that he built up in himself was the root of his depression. He would not perform on the basketball court as a result of his emotional state. “Many players say that basketball is a retreat,” Tyson said, “I tried it (playing basketball during bad times) but I always knew my mind was somewhere else.” The explanation holds true as I think back to the start of this month. Tyson was playing exceptionally and then was named to the All-Star team. During that game, Tyson didn’t play much but when he did; he absolutely brought cheers from the crowd (despite the fact the game was played in Sacramento). Then a week later, Tyson was a different player in a win against the visiting New Jersey Nets.

He walked me through the night that he picked up four personal fouls in the first half, “I just wasn’t there that night. My body was there but my mind wasn’t. The funeral was only a few days before the game. There was a small window between the All-Star game and that game against the Nets. I know that I was frustrated and I really should not have played. I wasn’t right.”

Two nights later, Tyson would hold the press conference to tell everyone the truth. “I really wanted to get it off my chest,” he stated to me, “It was imperative that I did. I felt a lot of anger and a lot of guilt. I felt like it was my entire fault. Saying it out loud was my way of coping. I’m not a very comfortable guy when it comes to discussing all of what I had said so I figured that doing a press conference was going to allow me to let it all out and also to let people who cared know.”

I pointed out that there was some criticism with his decision and he was accepting of it, “I can understand that people may call me selfish for doing this. For me, it was important. It’s my way to honor these people that I loved so much and were so important in my life. Without them, I would not be here right now. This was my chance to show people that money isn't everything. Money doesn't buy happiness. Money doesn't bring back your loved ones."

"People can say whatever they want but I did the right thing for me. It’s not for them.”

Tyson’s Tragedies

The story of his deceased brother, mother and girlfriend was touching. His tale is one of courage and the battle he has fought with his depression has been admirable. The fact that everything was bottled up in him for so long and he still was able to perform so well on the court is just amazing. Tyson thought it was no big deal but I disagreed with that notion. I told him that for someone so young to be so mature and to be able to hold themselves together like he has is something that many wouldn’t be able to do. And with that, he pleaded, “If anyone is going it tough, then they have to talk to those closest to them because they care. I shut out a lot of friends and in fact a lot of friendships were lost because I was too scared to talk.”

Tyson’s brother passed away due to a heart condition while he was in his freshman year at North Carolina. Tyson spoke fondly of Washington’s Stephon Marbury who had been a mentor of sorts to him after visiting his brother in hospital, “He (Marbury) really made an effort to connect with me and guide me through a tough time. We lost contact when I got into the league; I guess he had issues of his own. I just want to thank Stephon for everything he did for me. He was the one who convinced me to stay focused and go pro because it’s what my brother would have wanted to see.”

A year later, his mother passed away after a long battle with illness that was not disclosed. Tyson didn’t speak much of his mother as well as mentioning that his father was dead to him. He did admit that his mother was never in the best health after a stressed life trying to feed their family of three. “She got me through high school and to college,” he spoke fondly of her, “I only wish she was around so that I could repay her.”

The most recent tragedy was the death of his girlfriend and high school sweetheart Maria Newman. This was the trigger for all of the bad emotions coming back. And this was the one tragedy that he would always blame himself for. “How could I now?” Tyson asks me when I ask him why he is so hard on himself.

He recalls that on the night of the car crash, they had made up over a romantic dinner. The details were sketchy but he claims that he was tired and it was dark. His car swerved onto the other side of the road. The car flipped. The police report stated the cause of the crash was excessive speeding. Both driver and passenger were admitted to hospital. The driver was fine. The passenger would spend the rest of her life in a coma.

As he recites the story, he starts to cry. His tone was of true remorse and regret. “It just hurts so bad. I always knew that (our relationship) was going bad. I didn’t think it would last much longer. But you never knew what you’re missing until it’s gone. And I never had a proper chance to say goodbye and tell her how much I loved her.”

Tar Heel And Stealth Days

Tyson was never the player he is today. He exploded onto the national scene at the tail end of his freshman year with UNC. Although the Tar Heels won the tourney, their star scorer was never regarded as a consistent enough threat to constitute a solid NBA player. He kept hearing concerns about being ‘too raw’ and ‘too weak’. He would spend a second year at college and once again helped UNC make the NCAA final. There they would fall to Moses Chara and the Blue Devils. (He spoke briefly on his college rivalry with Chara, “It (the rivalry) was real. I had a lot of fun matching up against him. It cut me deep every time we lost to him but trust me, we really celebrated hard all the times we beat them.”)

When Tyson declared for the NBA Draft, many people questioned why his production and influence had dropped off so much in his sophomore year. Gone were the gaudy point totals. Tyson looked like a solid starting two-guard and that’s it. Nothing else, nothing special. And of course, nobody knew about the fact that he was going through hell with his mother in hospital whilst coping with the recent loss of his younger sibling.

Luckily for him, he had caught the eye of one GM (now his coach) who thought so highly of him that he traded away athletic point guard Russell Westbrook and the pick that turned into versatile swingman Mark Moore for the number three pick. That pick would be Tyson and boy did GM Sit cop a lot of criticism for making it go ahead. As Moore flourished in Charlotte and the Stealth had to slow down the pace with Kidd signed as their point guard instead of playing up-tempo if Westbrook was still around, Tyson was a fringe player on the rotation. But as is always with NBA managers, Sit had a plan and he is lucky that Tyson has panned out over the past four years.

Tyson’s numbers (25-5-5-2) are All-NBA first team worthy at his position but he has still somehow gone under the radar. He may be a fan favorite with his jaw-dropping dunks but many cite Kevin Durant, Andrew Bogut and Jason Kidd as the biggest reasons for the Seattle’s success. Many forget how hard Tyson has worked to hone his jump shot and harness his amazing athletic ability. “I’m used to being forgotten, that’s really the story of my life,” he tries to convince me that he is ok with the lack of attention.

Free Agency

I asked him during the press conference whether he wanted to play elsewhere. He gave an interesting answer about not wanting to commit to one location (i.e. Seattle). With free agency looming, Tyson can have a change of scenery next season. It’s no secret that his biggest suitor should be the New York Knicks are interested in bringing the native back home. Tyson’s comments hinted that a new team could be welcome at this stage of his life.

There hasn’t been much fanfare about his free agency; players like Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, Josh Smith, Moses Chara, Andrew Watson and Mark Moore are the ones getting all of the attention. But be comforted by the fact that many front offices hold him in high esteem and they are not stupid to not know that he is one of the top free agents of the coming Summer. As one Eastern Conference scout glowingly reviewed, “Reshawn Tyson is probably the most underrated player in the NBA if you can even call him that. His talent is being wasted as Kevin Durant’s sidekick. This guy would tear up the league if he was the man on any team.”

Another scout mentioned, “Reshawn Tyson is the most exciting player in the NBA and he has potential to be a perennial scoring champion. I hear comparisons to Tracy McGrady but I have to really stretch it a lot further than that. Call me crazy but this guy could be better than Kobe Bryant in his prime.”

He didn’t divulge any more information other than that he was solely focused on the next few months but I did ponder what teams would be making a run for him in the Summer and there are a few viable options. The Houston Rockets, Charlotte Bobcats and Knicks should have cap space. The Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards might have the pieces to do a sign and trade deal. If he landed on any of those teams, I’m putting all my money on him to win MVP.

The Promise

No matter what the future holds, Tyson is focused on one short term goal: a championship with Seattle.

“It’s time to move on though,” he would say at the end of our long session together, “I’m ready to come out and focus on basketball. I want to win here while I’m still around. We have a great team and I owe it to guys like Jason (Kidd), David (Lee), George (Karl) and Coach (Will) Sit to play hard. And I’m going to play hard starting from now.”

He would make good on his promise when the Washington Wizards visited the Stealth in Seattle the following night. Reshawn Tyson played a career game in front of a national audience. In a 154-129 destruction of the hapless Wizards, Tyson led the game with an incredible 60 point haul. To show that he is not a one-dimensional player, he added 6 rebounds and 7 assists. He did not miss a three all game (8-8) or a free throw (16-16). He missed just 6 shots all night (18-24 from the field). He left the game to a standing ovation at the end of the third quarter and Stealth fans were chanting for him to be put back into the game.

In our talk, he admitted to me that he had not been genuinely happy since his first year of college when he had won an NCAA championship with the Tar Heels. It was, after all, just a little prior to the passing away of his brother and the beginning of the chain of unfortunate events in his life. After this game against Washington (and for the record, Marbury actually dropped by and wished Tyson well after the game) though, Tyson called me up. He told me that he was happy for the first time in years.

All I could do was smile for him. If there was anyone in the World who deserved to feel the happiness he felt that night; it was Reshawn Tyson.
Fresh8

Re: A Legend Is Born III - Woody Hannes and Reshawn Tyson

Postby dare on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:55 am

Nice article by Woody (Y)

Missed the prediction badly...
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Houndy on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:20 am

Same. I feel bad for Tyson. He's been through a lot.
Houndy

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:26 am

Who cares. It's Durant's team, bitches!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Houndy on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 am

shadowgrin wrote:Who cares. It's Durant's team, bitches!

Yeah but it ain't Durant's team unless he has a big sidekick :P
Houndy

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:54 am

Or Wu's?

Houndy66 wrote:

Yeah but it ain't Durant's team unless he has a big sidekick :P

That does not make sense at all Hondo :P
Fresh8

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:11 am

Sit wrote:

Or Wu's?

I've accepted the fact that he won't get much burn because of his coach that boxes his talents. :P
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Houndy on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Yeah I know Sit :P But every batman needs a Robin, even if they both hate eachother.
Houndy

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:39 pm

It's good you have accepted the truth Shadowgrin. His coach is old-school and prefers the steady head of Jason Kidd. (y)

Hondo, if Ty isn't the sidekick, it's still Durant's team...
Fresh8

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame