Comics Thread?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Comics Thread?

Postby Oznogrd on Sun May 09, 2010 9:05 am

benji wrote:Is that season eight or the non-canon comics that were published while the show was still on?

didnt realize they were non canon but the ones that were published while the show was going. And an adaptation of joss's original screenplay
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby benji on Sun May 09, 2010 9:10 am

IIRC, they're only canon to the point where the show does not contradict them. It's a two-tier canon.

First tier: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Season Eight/Five.
Second tier: The video games, novels and comics published during the run of the shows.

Counterexamples would be Star Wars, where everything is canon, and Star Trek where only the shows/films are canon.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 am

Read Marvel Civl War over the past week or so: Marvel Verse sure is a clusterfuck nowadays.

Got me back into Spidey though so picked up back in black story arc

Also, got some of The Mask comics. sorta underwhelmed by them.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:07 pm

I've decided that Civil War is terrible. It spawns all over the damn place and basically makes no sense as it wanders off in these random directions. It doesn't really explain anything either. The sides people choose are basically random and nobodies motives seem sincere in anyway and they could flip at anytime. Planet Hulk and World War Hulk that ran at the same time and shortly after are infinitely better. They actually make Civil War better, as does everything else after Civil War because actually comes to explain things.

Actually haven't read much lately. Blackest Night (meh) was the last thing.

Oh, and The Losers. Which was awesome. Movie bombed but Ebert liked it so maybe I'll see if it's anywhere near as good as the comic when it comes out on DVD.

Still got massive backlog. Not even caught up on The Walking Dead which I had been doing despite reading nothing else.

Should use this summer to clean it out.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:56 pm

benji wrote:I've decided that Civil War is terrible. It spawns all over the damn place and basically makes no sense as it wanders off in these random directions. It doesn't really explain anything either. The sides people choose are basically random and nobodies motives seem sincere in anyway and they could flip at anytime.

It took you to finish the arc to know that?
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:22 am

No, that's standard Marvel crossovers. I read Civil War a while ago (see earlier in the thread) but every-time it comes up these days and I think about it I just realize it's not bad, it's terrible.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Yeah i liked it when i was reading it but benji's right about civil war...there wasnt much logic behind the chosen sides and the like.

Been reading Scott Pilgrim series...its...interesting and i haven't really decided if i like it or not yet.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:55 pm

Should read Planet/World War Hulk which happens during and IMMEDIATELY after Civil War. What Hulk went through is so much more than all the people in Civil War did. Then he comes back and takes it out on them.

Fuck, I need to start reading comics again. Such a backlog.

Like video games and...well, I cleared out TV mostly. Finally.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:49 am

Just finished Planet Hulk, Good shit. Awesome shit to be exact.

On to World War Hulk/Hulk aftersmash.

Honestly, after Civil War, I'm pretty much ready for everyone but Spidey to get their heads smashed.
Oznogrd

Postby Jeffx on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:41 am

Oznogrd wrote:Just finished Planet Hulk, Good shit. Awesome shit to be exact.

On to World War Hulk/Hulk aftersmash.

Honestly, after Civil War, I'm pretty much ready for everyone but Spidey to get their heads smashed.

Damn, you got a ways to go(Secret Invasion, Siege, Fall of the Hulks). We finally find out who the Red Hulk is(I won't spoil it for you).
Jeffx

Postby Its_asdf on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:37 am

Bump for great justice.

Anyone read Irredeemable and or Incorruptible? Irredeemable is great, but Incorruptible is kind of the lame spin-off in order to milk a fairly good premise from Irredeemable.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:37 pm

finished scott pilgrim. Got better as it went on. Comic isnt as good as movie though.
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:23 am

Bumpage because i didnt want to make a new thread. Deadpool movie script is leaked. Wont post it here since im not sure how leaked scripts fit in the rules, but so far its pretty funny and very much what Deadpool should be.
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:40 am

got back into reading some lately

Death: High Cost of Living
Not a bad little spinoff the Sandman arc. Read it while girl was sleeping one day (she owns it)

Top Ten
Was pretty great, havent gotten to the spinoffs yet but this is a series i was disappointed to finish

Deadpool: Merc With a Mouth
Most disappointing thing i've read in a long time.

Lucifer
Got back into after a bit just as good as I remember. Will finish sometime over thanksgiving possibly
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Actually read some stuff recently:
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
Red
American Century
Y, The Last Man

All pretty good to great.
American Century is so fucking stupid and "edgy" (and probably has an Author Avatar) it's great. Even has a shitty out of place ending to boot.
Y, the Last Man ends with a dud too. But the ride to get there was more than worth it.
The Doom Patrol run ends like anything by Grant Morrison and like anything he does runs the gambit from awesome to wtf.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:55 pm

So finally got into Buffy Season 8, through about issue 28: good stuff, wish it would hurry up and finish though.

Finished Joker's Asylum a couple of days ago. Not great but, good enough stuff. I think my favorite was Killer Croc's.

Got 3 weeks off from school so there may be a good bit of time to read some stuff coming up. Still need to read sin city, rest of Lucifer, some Moore, Seaguy, The Losers, and other stuff i have d/led. May delete the marvel stuff I have since its been so disappointing lately
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:22 am

Bumping this again. About 5 books into Sin City. I must not get it. Not that I'm not enjoying them but i dont understand why these are supposedly "greatest comics evar" Maybe i'm biased against frank miller.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 am

Frank Miller sucks. Sin City sucks.

There's a reason people write so much about his new stuff, and it's entirely based around mocking him.

There's also a reason there hasn't been a second Sin City film. Related to this.

If someone says they like Frank Miller ask them what their three favorites are, if they say "Year One" and "The Dark Knight Returns" you're fine. IF they name 300, you then have to ask them to name a top five. If they can name anything else, they have instantly failed and you must prevent them from spreading into the populace.

Read Seaguy and The Losers. Even if there's better stuff you've got you can bang those out easily and get rid of them. I like them, but even if you don't at least they're out of the way.

The Losers is a better series than a film. Wanted I could at least see as a film even if it failed, The Losers? No chance.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 am

benji wrote:If someone says they like Frank Miller ask them what their three favorites are

Ronin and TDKR. The unfinished All Star Batman and Robin for the lulz.

benji wrote:There's also a reason there hasn't been a second Sin City film. Related to this.
In October 2010, Rodriguez stated that his plan is to start working on Sin City 2 after the completion of Spy Kids 4. He also mentioned that the character Hartigan (Bruce Willis) could potentially reappear in the sequel. He also stated that there is a possibility that the “Hell & Back” storyline from Miller’s original books could show up in Sin City 2.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Oznogrd on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 am

Well just finished seaguy slave of mickey eye...cant find the first one anywhere, oh well. Wasnt bad despite a lot of "what the fuck is going on?" for the first ish. I like Chubby da Choona though.

Edit:
Also finished Sin City. Hell and Back and That Yellow Bastard are the only two storylines worth anything at all, and thats possibly just because they look good compared to the other shit in the series.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:30 am

In October 2010, Rodriguez stated that his plan is to start working on Sin City 2 after the completion of Spy Kids 4

He said the same thing before Spy Kids 3 and Grindhouse I think.

Last I knew Rodriguez and everyone else in the world didn't want to shoot them in one order and instead do it like the first film and Miller refuses to do it in any other way than hardcore lockstep with what he wrote. And casting has to be a real clusterfuck. And it's Miller with the veto on the entire thing. Based on how, as you note, he can't put out All-Star Batman even though THE ENTIRE SERIES was supposed to end years ago with All-Star Superman, by the time they shoot Sin City 2 it'll probably be fifteen years from now. And All-Star failed so bad they're rebooting it with a plan to put out six issues this year, something that DC has to know is not going to happen when Miller AND Jim Lee are involved, since All-Star only did ten issues over four years. And they're keeping the continuity and calling it Dark Knight: Boy Wonder. And Miller claims it'll finish the story. Even though there is no story, there is no finish and barely a start, and he wasted four books half a decade ago on driving back to the Batcave. It's the goddamn greatest and worst comic of all time.

Frank Miller did a bunch of stuff in the 1980s that nobody else had yet. And while it wasn't all even that good (I'd argue Year One and Daredevil are the only good things he actually did, The Dark Knight Returns is mediocre) it set this standard that justified the existence of Rob Liefield and Todd McFarlane even though nobody wanted either. And it raised a bunch of other fools. So now we live in a situation where Miller either has to overstyle (everything post TDKR), self-parody (the brilliant All-Star Batman and Robin) or issue absolute trash no sane person can justify (The Dark Knight Strikes Again, The Spirit). Where the adaption of his seminal self-created work is carried by people not him. Where a book he wrote with about 15 minutes of content got stretched into a two plus hour film and was also overstylized and exaggerated to capture the book properly in the course of appending the greatest failure of a subplot in modern times.

And he wrote RoboCop 3. And his RoboCop 2 script was somehow worse than the one that was filmed, and despite this someone paid him to adapt it to a comic series.

The sane Frank Miller went out with Reagan.

Oz, PMs.
benji

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:31 am

benji wrote:
Oz, PMs.

Thanks man. Read it. Nice little series as strange as it is.
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Finished The Losers

was a little disappointed in the "twins" aspect of max...was hoping for something more epic. Ah well.

FUCK YOU COMPANY MAN!
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:34 am

read some updated Deadpool

Wade Wilson's War under the "marvel knights" imprint was awesome.

Also got every ish of amazing spiderman from #1 to like 620 or something. Fuck Stan Lee is a wordy bastard. Cant wait till he leaves the series.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:38 pm

I see I didn't say The Losers has a flaw. I apologize for not warning of the dud. Although that is hard to do without ruining the rest since you're always expecting the dud then.

Speaking of duds.

Read Y, the Last Man.

Fantastic, with a dud ending but maybe only because of the way it is compressed. And there's a...well...most people seem to like it but I hated it.

With bile.

There's a reason The Walking Dead will forever be both maddening and brilliant.
benji

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic