King James

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

King James

Postby unstoppable on Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:12 pm

unstoppable

Postby Rens on Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:41 pm

"People ask me if it's a hard decision going to the NBA, but I've made harder decisions," he says. "Decisions about smoking or going to school, or stealing from a store or not stealing. Those are harder decisions. Yeah, I smoked weed. When it's around family, around friends, of course you want to try it. I tried it a couple of times. But when you get on the court and your wind ain't there, that's when you've got to just stop doing it. So the NBA decision ain't a hard decision compared to that."

Deciding wether to steal or not is hard?? Oh dear...
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby unstoppable on Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:17 am

Well i'm supporting whichever team Lebron James goes to next season, so which team does everyone think will get him? I'm PRAYING for the Knicks...
unstoppable

Postby Rens on Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:33 am

Raptors :wink:
Rens

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby Nick on Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:35 am

He goes out in public reluctantly, with a Celtics cap tugged low over his eyes, but at least he's reachable. He's got a two-way pager on one hip and two cell phones on the other -- because he never knows when Antoine Walker might call. "Shoot, we were at Applebee's one day, and Antoine Walker did call," says a buddy named Frankie Jr. "And he put him on hold. How can you put Antoine Walker on hold?"

Hehehe.

This is a good article find, unstoppable (if that is your real name :shock:) I'm still reading it now...
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby unstoppable on Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:36 pm

Yeah, one of the most interesting articles of the year.

Not my real name, but it helps psyche me up for games to know that i'm
U-N-S-T-O-P-P-A-B-L-E 8)
unstoppable

Postby Willie M. on Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:41 pm

unstoppable wrote:Well i'm supporting whichever team Lebron James goes to next season, so which team does everyone think will get him? I'm PRAYING for the Knicks...

I wouldn't be suprised if he ends up with the Knicks. Would be food for those who claim the NBA aids big market-teams if the Knicks get pick one over Denver, Memphis and Clevetown.
Willie M.

Postby Nick on Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:56 pm

Well the teams in the running at the moment are:

1. Cleveland (4-19)
2. Memphis (5-18)
3. Miami (5-16)
4. Chicago (6-15)
5. New York (6-13)

He would fit in nicely of at Cleverland-that-aren't-too-clever (yes, i made up that name just now. yes, i know, it's stooped.)
Memphis? good god no...i'd hate to see him there... ewak!
Can you imagine him with Miami?...that had never crossed my mind before...but at the rate they're going, it's possible.
Chicago...hmm...that would be pretty nice...at the height and weight he is now he would fill a needed spot in Chicago.
Personally, i hope he ends up with NY. I can imagine it more and it's for his dad :)...but sprewell will get traded away. :(
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby :digerati: on Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:32 am

I hope LeBron goes to a team where he can be mentored (Miami is probably the best choice of the five Barnsey listed) or else he's going to have a lousy career. He currently is in a horrid enviroment, where everyone including his own mother is exploiting him. While he won't be alone like Kwame was, his people could be worse than alone Kwame. I suspect it'll be years before he surpasses Garnett, Kobe, McGrady and Amare. He needs to lose the cocky attitude (that you know he has regardless of what people say) and think he's not the best. Kobe may seem that way in public, but you look at how his game develops and you can see he wants to learn. Garnett was the same way his first few years, despite being thrust into the position of the being the star of the team. If LeBron thinks of himself as the best and does not work to improve. If he buys into all this hype, if the team that picks him expects too much from the hype, that will be his downfall.

If you expect LeBron to turn any of these franchises around instantly, if you expect him to truely dominate, if you expect him to be the greatest and if you expect him to hit his free throws. I expect you to be disappointed next year.
:digerati:

Postby Nick on Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:24 pm

That's a good point...i understand the logic there.
He has the perfect attributes to be a star and to (have a cigar, you're gonna...) go far...but his biggest challenge will be not to get too arrogant and think he has nothing left to learn...when there's everything to learn...the sky is the limit.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby f.t.w. on Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:00 pm

I was the most skeptical mofo around about this kid. Until tonight.
f.t.w.

Postby Clinton on Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:26 pm

Totally agree with your point Ben. That is the absolute truth. he is gonna be very shocked if he thinks he can come in and play his game and be the best. That's not going to happen. It might be happening at the moment, but he has a long road ahead of him. He can't think he is going to come in to the leaguer in his rookie year and dominate. I don't think it will happen. The highest scoring average for a high schooler in his rookie year is 10.4ppg, by Garnett. I don't see James scoring much more. He needs to adjust to the NBA game, even more so because he won't have played college ball.
Clinton

Postby unstoppable on Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:48 am

Nobody is saying he will come in and dominate the league in his rookie year. We are saying that he will probably be the best in the NBA, not in his rookie year but eventually. Although i am willing to bet he will average more than 10ppg.
unstoppable

Postby :digerati: on Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:13 am

Clinton wrote:. The highest scoring average for a high schooler in his rookie year is 10.4ppg, by Garnett. .

Actually, It's Moses Malone at either 18.8ppg (ABA) or 13.2ppg (NBA - 2 years later). Amare is looking to break that number of Garnett's this season. (Amare sits at 10.2ppg and 8.4rpg in 28.7 minutes (12 starts/22 games, Garnett had 10.4ppg and 6.3rpg in 28.7 minutes (43 starts/80 games), plus Amare has a much better body over Garnett who entered the league a bit-twiggy (and thus why he played SF) while Amare has legit size to play in the post)

I think LeBron can get 15-20 easy. He'll be on a team that will defer to him and I doubt he'll hesitate to jack up a bunch of shots. After all, Jordan is his idol.

Postby EGarrett on Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:35 am

I think LeBron can get 15-20 easy. He'll be on a team that will defer to him and I doubt he'll hesitate to jack up a bunch of shots. After all, Jordan is his idol.

Unless his jumper develops a lot I don't see him averaging more than 12 or so. He's going to be forced to shoot those jumpers if he can't make them and it's going to be harder to get them off when the guy defending him is his size. He can rebound with his athleticism then run the break, but I don't see him being a big time scorer until he gets his shot down.
EGarrett

Postby :digerati: on Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:35 am

At 240lbs he's bigger than most SF's and pretty much all guards. That's the only reason I think he can get that many points, he's a scorer, not a shooter true. Then again, he can't hit his free throws and that's the biggest weapon for a scorer (see Stackhouse, Jerry) which could be his downfall. But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since he'll be most likely landing on a offensively deprived team and will be given the green light.

Postby Clinton on Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:46 am

Amare is looking to break that number of Garnett's this season.

Amare will break that number. He is playing like a veteran. He definately has a more NBA ready body then Garnett did. He is putting up solid rookie numbers and having some great games.

But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since he'll be most likely landing on a offensively deprived team and will be given the green light.

Someone like Dallas could take an intrest in him (Very likely. What doesn't Cuban want?). They could offer someone like Denver, Memphis, Cleveland or Chicago an established veteran and draft picks for him.
Clinton

Postby :digerati: on Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:06 am

Clinton wrote:Someone like Dallas could take an intrest in him (Very likely. What doesn't Cuban want?). They could offer someone like Denver, Memphis, Cleveland or Chicago an established veteran and draft picks for him.

Clinton, put yourself in their shoes. The person hyped as the greatest prodigy in history of the NBA and with massive marketing potential or a veteran and future picks. Even the amazingly smart Jerry Krause, Kiki Vandewighe and Jerry West wouldn't do that deal.

Postby Clinton on Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:19 am

Clinton, put yourself in their shoes. The person hyped as the greatest prodigy in history of the NBA and with massive marketing potential or a veteran and future picks. Even the amazingly smart Jerry Krause, Kiki Vandewighe and Jerry West wouldn't do that deal.

Yeah I know, but it is Mark Cuban :wink:
Clinton

Postby :digerati: on Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:27 am

I don't see how that would change what the other teams would do.

Postby Clinton on Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:49 am

He just has a way of getting what he wants. I know he wouldn't pull this off I was just pondering the thought.
Clinton

Return to NBA & Basketball