Andrew's 06 Bulls, Part 2 :: 07/08 (October 2007)

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Andrew's 06 Bulls, Part 2 :: 2006/07 (November 2006)

Postby hova- on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Nice to see you back in the Dynasty business, Drew. Your roster is really decent, Granger, Ellis and Ariza all have star potential as we know now. Still, your roster lacks of a real inside scorer imho. But so far it seems like you come along well without an offensive inside presence.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Kenny on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:56 pm

any chance of activating Steve Smith? I'm not a big fan of Monta Ellis :lol:
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Phil89 wrote:So no Rose or Noah then? :wink:

Afraid not, I'll have to make do with the players from the 05/06 rosters and the generated rookies moving forward. :)

hova- wrote:Nice to see you back in the Dynasty business, Drew. Your roster is really decent, Granger, Ellis and Ariza all have star potential as we know now. Still, your roster lacks of a real inside scorer imho. But so far it seems like you come along well without an offensive inside presence.

Thanks hova-, glad to see you following along again! I'm definitely lacking a consistent inside presence though Chandler and Wilcox have their moments (they certainly get the job done on the boards) and Gordon's got outside FSS abilities so if need be I can pull out one of the Scorer layups if I need a high percentage shot. If I do end up making a couple of big trades, I'll be looking to add a better post scorer.

badreligionau wrote:any chance of activating Steve Smith? I'm not a big fan of Monta Ellis :lol:

I activated him for the last game when I held Kemp out but ultimately I didn't play him. He's probably not going to get a lot of time this season barring an injury, but it depends if I end up making a deal and whether Ellis continues to get the job done as a combo guard off the bench. So far he hasn't been too bad.

A note about that Nuggets loss: I was actually kind of relieved when it happened as I was worried that I was going to find the game too easy after those other wins. The Nuggets game demonstrated that if I play badly I will lose however, so I'm optimistic that the game will remain challenging without the need for drastic slider tweaks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Andrew wrote:
badreligionau wrote:any chance of activating Steve Smith? I'm not a big fan of Monta Ellis :lol:

I activated him for the last game when I held Kemp out but ultimately I didn't play him. He's probably not going to get a lot of time this season barring an injury, but it depends if I end up making a deal and whether Ellis continues to get the job done as a combo guard off the bench. So far he hasn't been too bad.

A note about that Nuggets loss: I was actually kind of relieved when it happened as I was worried that I was going to find the game too easy after those other wins. The Nuggets game demonstrated that if I play badly I will lose however, so I'm optimistic that the game will remain challenging without the need for drastic slider tweaks.

Yeah, I find when I think the game gets too easy, I have my losing streaks due to complacency. It's always nice to know that you have to be on your game to win. Losing frustrates the hell out of me, but it motivates me to keep the story going.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:41 am

Absolutely, it does keep things interesting and reminds you to keep playing hard. I once had a 20+ game winning streak in an NBA Live 2002 Franchise and it was quite a challenge to keep it going. I'm not sure if the game actually ramped up the AI the more I won in an attempt to take me down or whether it was simply psychological and there was just more pressure to keep the streak going or I was getting complacent, but every game seemed harder the longer the streak went.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:27 pm

That's odd. Didn't know any NBA series game tried to control your win streak by raising the difficulty.

Anyways, I remember simulating first 3 quarters of the game then playing the 4th to keep things fair for the computer. Otherwise I'd have gone on a crazy winning streak like some of people here do. :wink:

Back to the topic, good luck with your Bulls, Andrew. It's always interesting to see the names like Kemp. I'm keeping my eyes on him.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:09 pm

That's the thing, I'm honestly not sure if the game was ramping up the difficulty of the AI to keep things competitive or whether it was just psychological and I was putting pressure on myself to keep the streak going (orperhaps just getting complacent and a bit sloppy as a result). Either way I found the longer the streak went the more difficult each game seemed to be, so whether it was the game doing it or a bit of gaming/sports psychology coming into play I suppose it was quite realistic.

Thanks for checking in, I'll have some more games up soon. Been occupied with more social activities as of late. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bodz on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:23 pm

I face similar situations like yourself Andrew when I'm on a winning streak (especially 7 or more). The comeback logic is really strong when they're down by as many as 20. Just a few games ago, I was leading by as much as 25 in the 3rd qtr and then my opponent called a timeout and next thing I know, their shots were all falling while I struggled to make even one. Of course, I can't blame it all on the CPU because I got a little complacent and rested a couple of my starters during that time. Subbed my starters back into the lineup in a futile attempt to take back the lead and win the game but lost by 1. My star player's last shot got the bounce but didn't fall through. So I say it's the AI that's trying to keep the season and the games competitive.
Where Hang Time Happens
Bodz
Rise In Pleasure

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 am

I'm not entirely sure that it's in effect from one game to the next in a season and increasing the difficulty as you get on a winning streak, but the comeback logic within a single game can be brutal and NBA Live 06 probably has the most aggressive comeback logic/rubberband AI in the series (NBA Live 10's gives it a run for its money though).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bodz on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Maybe, maybe not. Having played 7 seasons, it gets harder each season to get wins. The CPU players' skills seemed rammed up; defense is tighter and scoring ain't as easy as it was when I first started though.
Where Hang Time Happens
Bodz
Rise In Pleasure

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am

There's other factors as well like Primacy recalculation, player development/decline and CPU initiated trades and injuries (which themselves cause Primacy recalculations) but maybe the game does increase the difficulty to a certain extent. Whether it's the game or purely psychological though, it works in so far as giving us a challenge.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:14 pm

It's definetely better then Live 2003 where when you were up big, you would miss every dunk in fast break.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:21 am

It's been a while since I played NBA Live 2003 but that kind of stuff does happen in 06 as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:07 pm

I've kind of put this to the side as one thing or another has kept me away from it but with all the great Dynasty threads going on right now and a shortage of basketball on TV, I decided to jump back in with another game this evening.

November 25th, 2006
Chicago (97) at Indiana (95)
Bulls escape Indiana with a win

[ Boxscore ]

The Chicago Bulls may have started the night poorly, but they saved their best for last. Despite trailing for almost the entire game, the defending champion Bulls prevailed with a gritty road win over a determined Indiana Pacers team, who led by as many as fourteen after beginning the game on a 13-2 run and withstanding several Chicago runs, before finally succumbing late in the fourth quarter.

Stephen Jackson, who finished with 17 points, celebrated emphatically after hitting a long three to put the Pacers up 91-86 with just under four minutes remaining. His celebration would be short lived however as Ben Gordon answered with a three of his own to cut the deficit to two, then slipped by Jackson for an up-and-under layup to tie the score at 91. After a steal, Kirk Hinrich went strong to the basket for a layup to give the Bulls their first lead of the night at 93-91.

The Pacers were not about to roll over however, as Jermaine O'Neal hit a tough bank shot on a post up to tie the score at 93. Hinrich responded with another tough drive and a layup, followed by a Gordon steal that lead to a fast break which culminated with a Tyson Chandler dunk. Ron Artest then made a layup after an offensive rebound with just under thirty seconds left in the fourth, cutting the deficit back to two and setting up a wild finish.

Chicago ran down the clock but attempted two ill-advised shots, a long rebound off a missed Hinrich three sending a long rebound into the hands of Jamaal Tinsley. Tinsley ran the ball down the court and was forced to heave a shot from 35 feet which just grazed the rim. Artest tracked down the rebound and attempted a desperation putback that came too late and missed hard off the back iron, allowing the Bulls a narrow escape.

"We're thankful to get out of here with the win," commented Gordon, who led the Bulls with 18 points but shot just 8/21 from the field. "We got a huge lift from our bench when were struggling to score in the first half, they kept us in the game. Thanks to them, we were able to make that last run." The Bulls shot just 32% in the second quarter after being outscored 32-20 in the first, before outscoring the Pacers 53-38 in the second half.

Notes: Chicago shot just 7/14 from the free throw line and 2/21 from three point range. The Pacers were 7/18 from downtown...Bulls reserve Danny Granger did not check in until the beginning of the fourth quarter and played just eight minutes, scoring four points...three Pacers reached double digits in rebounds led by Jermaine O'Neal with 13, followed by Jonathan Bender and Ron Artest who eached totaled 10...Jamaal Tinsley and Jermaine O'Neal both recorded double-doubles as O'Neal added 16 points to his 13 rebounds and Tinsley also posted 16 points along with 10 assists.

Gordon celebrates after his three pointer cuts the deficit to two

Hinrich's layup gave the Bulls their first lead of the game

Current Record: 8-4
Next Opponent: Miami Heat; 7-7 (November 27th)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Justine. on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Wow nice writing there. Nice narrow win over Indy, and it feels great that this dynasty will continue again :D
Justine.
Novakaine!

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks. :)

One more for tonight.

November 27th, 2006
Chicago (105) at Miami (98)
Bulls outlast Heat in see-saw battle

[ Boxscore ]

Kirk Hinrich and Tyson Chandler both registered double-doubles as their Chicago Bulls overcame the Heat in Miami for a 105-98 victory. Hinrich found Chandler early and often as the sixth year centre scored 14 of his team high 24 points in the first quarter. Chandler would go on to grab 16 rebounds and block two shots while Hinrich totaled 17 assists along with 12 points.

Perhaps mindful of their slow start against the Indiana Pacers two nights ago, the Bulls came out determined to put points on the board and traded baskets with the Heat through the first few minutes of the game. They appeared to be pulling away when a couple of layups by Dwyane Wade sparked a Heat run that brought Miami right back into the game. Though the Bulls would maintain the lead through the first quarter break, the Heat made a spirited run at the beginning of the second and led by as many as seven four minutes into the quarter. Chicago did not appear fazed however and battled back to lead by four at halftime.

The third quarter saw more of the same, with Antoine Walker keeping the Heat in the game while Ben Gordon led the Bulls' attack. Sloppy turnovers prevented the defending champions from pulling away from the Heat, though deft hands by the Bulls eventually saw them build a ten point lead late in the fourth quarter. Hinrich tallied eight of his seventeen assists in the final period as he found Chandler and Chris Wilcox with a handful of lob passes along with a couple of shrewd passes to Luol Deng along the baseline. Walker and Gary Payton both hit threes that briefly cut into the Bulls' lead but came no closer than a four point deficit in the final two minutes.

Dwyane Wade led the Heat with 23 points while also handing out six assists. Antoine Walker added 18 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists while Jason Williams contributed 16 points. Shaquille O'Neal had 12 points and 9 rebounds. For the Bulls, Ben Gordon had 17 points but shot poorly from downtown, connecting on just one of six three point attempts. Chris Duhon and Nick Collison both scored 10 points off the bench for the Bulls, with Duhon adding five assists.

Notes: Both teams shot 13/16 from the free throw line...the Bulls were just 2/14 from downtown while the Heat shot 5/12 from beyond the arc...Chicago had 25 turnovers to Miami's 21, but handed out 34 assists compared to 19...every Bulls player scored at least one point...the Heat were the only team to defeat the Bulls in last year's Playoffs, falling 4-1 to the Bulls in the second round.

Current Record: 9-4
Next Opponent: Washington Wizards; 9-4 (November 29th)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Hinrich and Chandler had massive games. Nice job getting a couple of wins in close games. (Y)
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Martti. on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 pm

You have some troubles from beyond the arc, which is odd because when I played with Gordon & Hinrich, they were both deadly shooters from outside, especially from the corner.

Nice to see you back of course! :)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks for checking in guys. :) Three point shooting has always been a weakness for me in Live, but yeah, I've really struggled the last couple of games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:05 am

Nice to see you writing again Andrew. Good to see you were winning despite being shooting woes. Three point shooting is generally a problem for me too. I make a lot, but I'm not the most efficient at it generally. I miss NBA Live 06...
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:16 am

Glad to be back at it in between everything else. Thanks for checking in!

Well, I've decided to make some changes to the roster, for a few reasons. First, even though it's 2006 and some of those players aren't developed as they have since in real life, it's getting a bit distracting having all those "names" on the roster. Second, there are some ex-Bulls I feel a bit more comfortable in trading. Third, some players just aren't panning out and fourth, there's an in-game/story reason that I'll get to in a second.

November 29th, 2006
Bulls complete trade for Boozer

CHICAGO, IL -- The Chicago Bulls announced today that they have completed a trade that will send Chris Wilcox, Andres Nocioni and Danny Granger to the Utah Jazz in exchange for Carlos Boozer. Boozer will not be in uniform for tonight's game against the Washington Wizards.

Nocioni, a member of the 2006 championship team, started five games for the Bulls this season and has posted averages of 9.8 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 2.0 apg. He has struggled at times to find his shot and was rumoured to have been on the trading block. Granger, acquired from Indiana earlier this season, has not shot the ball well and has seen his court time diminish in recent games. Wilcox, an offseason acquisition, had started eight games for the Bulls while posting averages of 12.7 ppg and 8.7 rpg.

Boozer has averaged 20.6 ppg, 11.9 rpg and 3.6 apg in 14 games for the Jazz this season.

November 29th, 2006
Chris Duhon traded to Toronto

CHICAGO, IL -- Bulls' backup point guard Chris Duhon has been traded to the Toronto Raptors in exchange for journeyman Mike James, the team announced today. James will not be in uniform for tonight's game against the Washington Wizards.

Drafted by the Bulls in 2004, Duhon was a member of last season's championship team. He has posted averages of 5.7 ppg and 3.4 apg in 14 games this season, including one start. Erratic shooting had seen his playing time decrease this season by nine minutes per game and rumours have persisted since the season's opening week that the Bulls were quietly shopping him.

James, who has played for the Heat, Celtics, Pistons, Bucks, Rockets and Raptors, has since little court time in twelve appearances with the Raptors this season. He is expected to help anchor the Bulls' bench offseason and bolster their perimeter shooting.

November 29th, 2006
Bulls swap Ariza for Korver

CHICAGO, IL -- The Chicago Bulls announced a third trade today, having sent Trevor Ariza to Philadelphia in exchange for Kyle Korver. Korver will not be available for tonight's game against the Wizards but is expected to join the team in Charlotte for their matchup with the Bobcats on December 1st.

Ariza, in his third season and first with the Bulls after spending his first two years with the Knicks, had struggled to find significant minutes in Chicago's rotation. He posted averages of 2.1 ppg and 1.5 rpg, while appearing sparingly in all thirteen games for the Bulls this season. Kyle Korver has also struggled to crack the Sixers' rotation this season but is expected to see more time in Chicago as their main perimeter threat off the bench.

November 29th, 2006
The inside scoop on the Bulls' latest trades

The latest trades by the Chicago Bulls may leave more than a few fans scratching their heads, but it appears there is a method to their madness. Although the defending champion Bulls sit atop the Eastern Conference with a 9-4 record, word has it that there was some dissatisfaction with the performance of the players who now find themselves moving on and the team is confident that they can repeat with the members of the core rotation whose performance has been more consistent, along with the additions of Carlos Boozer, Mike James and Kyle Korver.

Korver's addition certainly makes sense. The Bulls have struggled shooting the three of late and Trevor Ariza's minutes were sporadic and his production inconsistent. Chris Duhon has not shot the ball well and seen fewer minutes as a result; no doubt the team is hoping that James will provide more of a spark off the bench in the backup point guard role. Boozer is clearly the major prize however as he immediately provides the Bulls with a legitimate 20-point, 10-rebound player, something they have lacked since trading Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler in 2001. The team arguably overpaid for him however, sending away Chris Wilcox, Andres Nocioni and Danny Granger; their starting power forward and two of the key forwards in their rotation.

Their willingness to overpay for Boozer speaks volumes about the confidence they have in their new acquisition but also the diminished value of Wilcox, Nocioni and Granger. Granger had not panned out as expected in a sixth man role, often shooting the ball poorly and struggling to fit into the offense. Nocioni and Wilcox were more consistent but were also erratic at times and deemed expendable when Boozer became available.

Chicago has also positioned themselves to have around $17 million in cap space this offseason and may seek to create more cap space with a trade closer to the deadline. Sources indicate that the team expects to once again contend for the championship with their revamped roster then lure a major free agent next year, with the possibility of back-to-back titles being a major selling point. The team will likely try and re-sign Kirk Hinrich this offseason which certainly suggests a further cap clearing trade may be made to maximise their chances of landing a high profile free agent. The team would then likely look to re-sign Ben Gordon and Luol Deng to extensions in the offseason of 2008, which would likely place the team over the luxury tax threshold.

It's an unusual gamble for a defending champion in position to contend for a second straight championship to make, but one they could certainly profit from. If it all pans out, the Bulls will likely have positioned themselves to win or at least contend for championships for years to come.

For the record: LeBron, Wade and Bosh are all free agents in the upcoming offseason. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Clutch on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:35 am

nice to see the defending champs once again on the move (Y)

abysmal 3pt-shooting :lol: but what great games by Capt'n Kirk & Chandler v. the Heat!

love the trades to slim down the roster, espec. the acquisition of Boozer; i found it refreshing to interject a little reality with what's going on virtually, even if the dynasty's not in the same calendar season; actually thinking of something similar taking place in mine, though non-committed atm
Clutch
^ Life... currently :\

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:47 am

Thanks Clutch. :) I think it will be for the best, it also keeps things interesting and bringing a couple of current Bulls on board appealed to me as well. I don't want to overdo it with the trades but I felt a change needed to be made, saw an interesting scenario I could work with and expect I'll be able to see it through, perhaps with just one or two more deals to try and clear a bit extra space if possible.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:59 am

Korver should tremendously help your 3PT shooting. (Y)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Murat on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:51 am

Good trades...
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood