Official NBA Live 10 Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 10 here.

Re: Official NBA Live 10 Impressions Thread

Postby Axel The Great on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:38 am

True, but I'm not good at creating players even if I have a picture of them right in front of me. I agree, I think the graphics in Live 10 are top-notch, I don't know how people can complain about them.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:58 am

I feel both games get the job done for the most part graphics wise, but as I've said numerous times before I'm not the harshest critic in that area.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bee-boy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 pm

I just got back into playing live 10 now on the ps3 and i have to say i am glad i did. I love how the offense works with the authentic plays and the overall gameplay is good. Some things still do bother me such as at times the CPU's ability to make every single shot (on Superstar level) for a long stretch of time and i continue to miss badly and also how they call fouls when you jump to block a shot sometimes. Overall it's a great game and i like it.
ImageWhether you Love him or Hate him you gotta Respect him.
bee-boy
U-Mad!!!!

Postby Lamrock on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Operation Sports is doing a feature on Live vs. 2K, and began with Live 2005 and 2K5, with 2K5 developing more realistic gameplay, but Live being far more polished. Now, five years later, it seems to be the other way around, with Live having slightly more realistic gameplay, but no polish whatsoever.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:46 am

I think no polish whatsoever is going a bit too far, though that's not to say there isn't room for improvement. Where NBA 2K10 really leaves NBA Live 10 in the dust in my view is Association vs Dynasty. Dynasty Mode's broken sim engine and lack of depth pales in comparison with what Association Mode currently has on offer. I think NBA Live 11 will be at least satisfactory from a gameplay standpoint if it builds upon what was on tap in NBA Live 10, it's the game modes that need to be brought up to speed now. Without that immersive and addictive experience, the replay value isn't there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jubigala on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:01 pm

This is by far the best NBA Live i've played, it's a great sim in my mind. I'm really enjoying it, though i can see all the negatives raised here are sound. It needs a bit more polish. I'm english, and it's great to have england in the game, though it's in a GB jersey.. the most dissappointing thing i can say is that you can't edit FIBA teams. I'm sorry, but having Ronnie Baker as the starting PG, after he retired like 5 years ago is so far off right, it's just unbelievable.

It is the 2006 Commonwealth games squad from what i can tell. 2006. 2010. Can you spot the dilberate mistake?

I'm obviously used to patching/modding and i'd love to work on this game, but i assume there isn't a way to do so. It's the only reason why i hate consoles. Hate Hate Hate.

But this game is nearly awesome. :D
jubigala

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:36 pm

The FIBA rosters are definitely outdated all around. It's times like that when we really miss a PC release, no question.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby rudyjuly2 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:14 am

These are my initial impressions after playing 15 to 20 Play Now games (at 7 minute quarters) and yes I know this is VERY late lol. I don’t have any franchise impressions. I’m really happy I bought Live 10. It’s two years old but was only $10.55 on Amazon and I have spent time updating the rosters to a reasonable level. I had Live 09 in the past and enjoyed it but the gameplay was a bit shallow and didn’t hold my interest after awhile. I had checked out the 2K demos and even played a game of 2K12 at my brother’s house but it never stuck out to me like a big upgrade over Live and there were things in Live 10 that I like better – the court spacing and passing. 2K12 seems to have passes intercepted everywhere (could be a learning curve admittedly). I also prefer the control scheme with the r-stick being the dribbling moves.

I really like the feel and spacing of Live. I like the rebounding, shooting and everything else including defensive assist when I need it. The game did need a lot of slider adjustments for me. After reading about many complaints on Superstar I figured my mediocre skills were best left on Pro and I just boosted the cpu skills in many areas to compensate (started out with something between King James on NLSC and LeftforDead’s on OS and then tweaked as I saw fit). Everything about the game is just fun. I don’t have any major complaints. There is a good inside vs. outside game. I feel I have to mix up my shots between the post and outside. I call plays and get shots off screens which are more successful when open. The pick and roll is good and driving to the hoop results in a realistic number of outcomes. Contested shots don’t fall as much while open shots aren’t missed at frustrating levels. Ratings are huge and the personalities of the players are evident. Good players get more touches and shoot or drive accordingly. Ray Allen lit me up from the outside one game while Billups was mixing up his outside shots by driving the lane and creating all kinds of contact and foul calls. Amar’e Stoudamire pounded me on the offensive glass while Carmelo torched me in a variety of ways including some spectacular dunks. The animations of some players after making contact or hustling for loose balls are a nice touch. While the better teams score more I found myself in a low scoring game with the Pistons against the Bobcats as we both struggled to score. The Bobcats got to the line ten times in the first quarter but missed every shot from the field.

The complaints I do have are related to the lack of a transition game and weak post game. There aren’t enough fast breaks and the moves in the post are limited. That’s where the shot stick in 2K would be better but I would rather have smoother dribbling controls on my r-stick than left trigger combos that don’t feel natural (again, could be a learning curve issue). Other minor annoyances are too many cpu alley oops that are just turnovers. The fatigue model isn’t very good unless you play a ton of minutes. At 7 minute quarters and the fatigue slider maxed out its pretty good but I would like it more if fatigue was still a bit heavier. Overall though the negatives are small and far outweighed by the positives.

I don’t have a problem with the graphics. I’ve never been a graphics whore but they look fine, especially with the more zoomed out camera angle. The presentation is good and the commentary is fantastic. I love Marv Albert and Steve Kerr. They work great. It’s almost shocking to hear EA produce such good commentary with how weak it is in the current football games. I can’t truly compare this to NBA 2K12 or any of their NBA games other than a short amount of time with the demos. The only thing I can really say is that I really enjoy NBA Live 10.
rudyjuly2

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:37 pm

While I've grown more used to the controls in NBA 2K the last couple of years, I still prefer EA's approach with dribbling on the right stick. That's why I feel there's still a market for two NBA sims, if EA can get their next game up to scratch with gameplay and game modes, it'll be good to have a viable alternative in terms of control schemes and such. With 2K12's online issues, they've also got an avenue to win some people back if the online features and gameplay is appealing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 10