NFL Talk

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

NFL Talk

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 am

Its crazy to make a seperate thread for every single time people want to talk about NFL. I didnt see a thread in the search so here we go.

It's playoff time again...and a hell of a start with that cards/pack game. This almost pains me to say..but im sad to see the packers out so early. Would've been one of the best comebacks of all time.

So next week we have

Cards @ Saints
The saints are my team this year. I love drew brees, pierre thomas went to illinois, and its just an all around fun team to watch. I expect a shootout in the dome similar to that pack/cards game. Two all time great qbs: whoever's defense allows less homerun plays wins.
My Pick: Saints

Baltimore @ Indy
I really dont like the colts much but they play damn good football. Few teams can have in their #3 and #4 receivers with a #2 RB and still rock teams like the colts did most of the season. The ravens started really hot and sort of limped into playoffs. I like flacco and ray rice..but...they arent unbeatable. I think the colts show they're the AFC SB favorites.
Pick: Colts

Dallas @ Minny
I truly hate both of these teams. Oddly enough i used to also love both. The 'boys have shaken off their december woes and have been one of the best teams in the league the past month or so. The vikes sorta choked a bit leading into the playoffs losing a few games they shouldnt've. AP has been shut down for a few games and Favre can only do so much. I'm pulling for the vikes..but I see the boys winning this one possibly caused by a coaching misfire by Childress (why the fuck did they extend his contract?)
Pick: Cowboys

NY Jets @ San Diego
I love both these teams. While I hate sanchez, the jets run like hell, play D, and have rex ryan as head coach. All good reasons to like them. San Diego however has phillip rivers. San Diego steps up and knocks the koolaid cup out of Sanchez' hand. Sanchez isnt clutch enough to do it twice as a rookie.
Pick: Chargers
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Re: NFL Talk

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 am

First wanted to say that the Pats loss deeply depressed all of New England today and that Packers/Cards game was simply entertaining.

My picks are

Cards @ Saints
I think the Saints are going to remain in their little rut since they first lost.

Baltimore @ Indy
Fuck Indy

Dallas @ Minny
Local radio guy is a huge Dallas fan, he's hilarious so I'm picking Dallas

NY Jets @ San Diego
Fuck, the, Jets
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby koberulz on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:37 am

JaoSming wrote:that Packers/Cards game was simply entertaining.

Looking at it now, yeah, but giving up a 17-0 lead is never entertaining at the time.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 am

koberulz wrote:
JaoSming wrote:that Packers/Cards game was simply entertaining.

Looking at it now, yeah, but giving up a 17-0 lead is never entertaining at the time.

It is to me. Comebacks/close games, even if due to poor play on 1 team's part, are way better than snoozers where a team coasts and still manages to win. The NFL has become a league of QB duels, and i'm loving every second.
Oznogrd

Postby koberulz on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 am

You're obviously not a Cardinals fan.
koberulz

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:57 am

koberulz wrote:You're obviously not a Cardinals fan.

They won. No need to complain. Yes the D blew a huge lead. But they also won the game for them with the forced fumble.
Oznogrd

Postby koberulz on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Doesn't make watching them give up the lead any more entertaining, though.
koberulz

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm

koberulz wrote:Doesn't make watching them give up the lead any more entertaining, though.

*shrug* i've seen my teams give up many a lead and get in tons of close games. Im still immensely entertained as long as the win happens. You may not be entertained by a blown lead, but i'd rather see my team struggle and come out on top than coast.
Oznogrd

Postby koberulz on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 pm

To be sure, it felt damn good when they won, but that, again, doesn't make the second, third, and fourth quarters suddenly enjoyable. I'll probably enjoy it a lot more next time I watch it, but it wasn't all that fun at the time.
koberulz

Postby Oznogrd on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:34 am

On another note
Pete Carroll as seahawks head coach? If this season showed anything in college Football is that USC is beatable when they dont have 3 possible heisman candidates each year. I think they'll give carroll 3-4 years, he wont do well till the final one, and it wont be well enough to save his job. He'll be back in college soon enough.
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am

Saints up 21-7 early on. Cards have missed tackles pretty regularly. Rodgers-Cromartie is hurt...This could be over already if he's not healthy enough to come back.
Oznogrd

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:34 am

man, Warner got fuuucked up off that interception
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Oznogrd on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 am

JaoSming wrote:man, Warner got fuuucked up off that interception

Yeah..but it wasnt just him. His oline couldnt keep the saints off him and his d couldnt stop brees whatsoever. My favorite play of the game that i saw (stopped watching when it got out of hand) was reggie bush pulling a total Madden move and just running into the defender, spinning, then finishing the ridiculously long run for a TD.
Oznogrd

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:25 am

After a few blowouts are AFC and NFC championships are set. only 50% on my picks but im ok with that.

First up:

NFC
Saints vs Vikings: If the regular season is any indication: go saints. Thats all i can really say. Favre is due for a 4 INT game too...
Pick: Saints

AFC
Colts vs Jets: Peyton is going to get revenge for his bench in an eff you game. The jets only won due to nate kaedings failure. They wont be that lucky against peyton and co.
Pick: Colts
Oznogrd

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:15 am

holy shit..i went 0/4 :shake:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:48 am

JaoSming wrote:holy shit..i went 0/4 :shake:

thats what happens when you pick with your heart and annoyed the belichick/brady era has a chink in the armor ;)
Oznogrd

Postby JaoSming on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:54 am

also the reason why I dont bet
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 am

JaoSming wrote:also the reason why I dont bet

Yeah im with you there man. I played poker for money one time in college. Quickest 10 bucks i ever lost
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 61406.html
According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays.

So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour. As many as 75 minutes, or about 60% of the total air time, excluding commercials, is spent on shots of players huddling, standing at the line of scrimmage or just generally milling about between snaps. In the four broadcasts The Journal studied, injured players got six more seconds of camera time than celebrating players. While the network announcers showed up on screen for just 30 seconds, shots of the head coaches and referees took up about 7% of the average show.

benji

Postby Oznogrd on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:35 am

conference championships today

Pulling for a saints colts SB still..
Oznogrd

Postby Rip32 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:35 pm

looks like you got your wish Oz. I find it ironic that Favre went out in his biggest moment with the Vikings the same way he played his whole career, recklessly. That said, I still would have liked to have seen Favre-Manning in the Super Bowl, but apparently Minny didn't get the memo that this was a Football playoff game, not a hot potato playoff game.
Tweet me, bro. @Brady_Fred
Rip32
Rodney Stuckey's Uncle

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 am

Meh I blame chilly. If he'd ever run the ball early in the game then the saints wouldn't have seen that pass play coming from a mile away. The vikings will never succeed (as in SB) as long as brad childress is coach.

So now the SB is decided: We have a obvious future hall of famer (Manning) and a guy if he puts a ring on the finger he'll be a HoFer (Brees). Im pulling for the Saints myself. Its just a more fun team for me. Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Colston, Meachem, Shockey are all players that make me want to watch football. Then you have the surgeonesque precision out of brees thats completely improbable. Im excited. The colts are great also but they do everything with a subtletly and precision that actually bores me to watch.

My heart pick:
Saints by a FG

My head Pick:
Colts by a TD
Oznogrd

Postby buzzy on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 am

Oznogrd wrote:the surgeonesque precision out of brees

So true ..
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Rip32 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 am

I think the Saints are milking the hell out of hurricane Katrina, I know it was an awful thing that happened, but that was your story line last time you had a deep playoff run. I can't stand Reggie Bush either, he's such a bust as the #2 pick. The career he's had would be very good for a second rounder.

Also, I don't know if it was like, a secret, but are people surprised the Vikings fumbled so much last night? I'm a Lions fan :shake:, so I get to see the Vikings and AP play twice a year and I think close to half of Peterson's fumbles have come against the Lions. Some people were just so surprised at that.

I also think Packers fans who were talking mad shit about Favre need to stop. You're jaded that he had success with your rival, that's understandable. The fact of the matter is, you can't sit there and say, "Look at him Minnesota, he's a bum. This is what we had to deal with in the NFC title game in 07". He's also the same guy who single-handedly restored legitimacy to Packer football when it was dead in the water.

I can only hope that one day I'll get to see Matthew Stafford win an NFC title game...
Tweet me, bro. @Brady_Fred
Rip32
Rodney Stuckey's Uncle

Postby koberulz on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:58 am

buzzy wrote:
Oznogrd wrote:the surgeonesque precision out of brees

So true ..

Bad enough they spend twenty minutes carrying on about how awesome Drew Brees is, then they show Kurt Warner throw an interception...

Please die.
koberulz

Next

Return to Off-Topic