Denver Nuggets - The Next Level [Game 3 + 4]

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Re: Denver Nuggets - The Next Level? (NBA Live 10)

Postby Kenny on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:54 pm

The Playoffs

Playoff tree

Denver Vs Houston

Key matchups

Yao Ming Vs Nene:

Both players earned spots in the All-NBA teams this season, with Nene just pipping Yao for first team honors. Both players have a lot to prove.

Carmelo Anthony Vs Trevor Ariza:

Trevor Ariza came up huge in the NBA Finals last year, but with a different team, can he emulate the same heroics? As for Melo, this series is really a chance for him to prove that he deserves to be mentioned with the likes of fellow draft classmates Dwyane Wade and Lebron James.

The X-Factor

Denver's big shot makers:

Despite sitting as a bench warmer for the regular season, Robert Horry in the past has proven to be one of the biggest clutch players of all time in playoffs. Will the greatest hits tour continue? As well as this, Chauncy Billups is known for the big occassions and is known for leading his teams deep into the playoffs.

Tracy McGrady

He hasn't been on the court much the last few years, but once considered as one of the game's elite, T-Mac should not be taken lightly by the Denver defense.

The Other Games of Interest

Two series' I will keep a particular eye on will be Cleveland vs Charlotte and Phoenix vs Golden State.

The Bobcats have never made the playoffs, and this year they go in as the 5th seed. However Cleveland have the experience and the firepower to suggest they can easily account for them, but we'll see.

And of course, coming in at the 7th seed in the West is Golden State and if anyone can knock off a competition favourite, it's them.
Last edited by Kenny on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:01 am

How come you stopped posting standings in the final month? Either way, I love your pics. Andrew was right about Live's sim engine, with Mo Williams and JR on the all-NBA second team (and your 45 win team having 4 people spanning the all-NBA teams), as with the champs being the 8th seed. Good luck against Houston.
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:45 am

Lamrock wrote:How come you stopped posting standings in the final month? Either way, I love your pics. Andrew was right about Live's sim engine, with Mo Williams and JR on the all-NBA second team (and your 45 win team having 4 people spanning the all-NBA teams), as with the champs being the 8th seed. Good luck against Houston.

I have noticed after getting an update that some players are taking speculators from almost half court, and Antoine Walker isn't even in the game. However, I was enthusiastic to start my dynasty as soon as possible because I had waited so long. Apart from those statistical anomalies, the gameplay is pretty damn good I think. As for the standings, I guess was too eager to get into playoff mode that I just went right past it. It's something I'll remember for my next year though.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Will have some results from my playoffs series soon :)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:31 am

The pictures and replays look awesome. (Y) What kind of stats are J.R. Smith and Chris Andersen averaging? By the way, how in the world did J.R. get the start over Kobe in the All-Star Game? :o
[Hyperize]

Postby Kenny on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:21 am

XxHyperDunk24 wrote:The pictures and replays look awesome. (Y) What kind of stats are J.R. Smith and Chris Andersen averaging? By the way, how in the world did J.R. get the start over Kobe in the All-Star Game? :o

JR Smith finished the season 4th in scoring with almost 19 points a game (keep in mind I play 7 minute quarter). As for the Birdman, he was pulling down about 7 boards a game and 1.5 blocks... all of which saw him in the top 10. He was getting about 8 points a game, which was an improvement for him too.

As for the JR starting over Kobe thing... I did remember reading that Kobe was injured at one stage of the season, so that could have been a factor... and perhaps his scoring was down a bit because the computer was distributing points to Ron Artest as well. I guess the whole thing was a bit of an aberration, but JR Smith's playing style really suits the way I tend to use my shooting guards.

More pictures and replays to come soon with recaps of my first three playoff games :)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Lol already in playoffs? Slow it down man! :P
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Kenny on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Lol already in playoffs? Slow it down man!
Here are the recaps for the first three games:

Game 1: Denver take first game of the series

In the first quarter, Denver ran out to an 8-1 lead. Despite Chauncy Billups getting into early foul trouble, Denver were able to maintain it through the first half with Ty Lawson filling in for him (including this sweet play).

Yao Ming's dominant inside game (28 points, 14 rebounds) assured that Houston stayed in it. However, he didn't have enough help on the night, as JR Smith sealed his side's fate by knocking down 2 big three pointers to help get his side the first win of the series.

Despite Yao's dominance, Nene picked up the Sprite Performer of the Game, with 10 points, 14 rebounds and 2 blocks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
GAME 1: HOUSTON @ DENVER

DEN 84 [Anthony 27, Smith 21, Billups 13]
HOU 72 [Yao 26, Brooks 10, Ariza 10]

Sprite Performer of the Game: Nene 10 pts 14 rebs 2 blks

Rebounds

Denver: Nene 14
Houston: Yao 14

Assists

Denver: Billups 7
Houston: Lowry 7
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 2: Houston clinch thriller in Denver

After a gruelling double overtime, the Houston Rockets leveled the series. Denver were losing by 10 at the start of the fourth quarter, but a comeback was amounted, and with little time left, Houston were up by three, and guess who stepped up... Mr Big Shot himself hits this to send it into an overtime period. It was hotly contested for through the first overtime and Carmelo Anthony was unable to hit the game winning shot, so another overtime was needed. Some nice plays by both teams, including a dunk by Denver's reserve Louis Williams. Tracy McGrady hit two clutch free throws to give Houston a three point lead. With the last play of the game, Billups had another 3 point shot to send it to a third overtime, in which he missed.
GAME 2: HOUSTON @ DENVER
[2OT]
HOU 99 [McGrady 30, Brooks 23, Yao 17]
DEN 96 [Billups 25, Anthony 21, Smith 16]

Sprite Performer of the Game: Yao Ming 17 pts 19 rebs 4 asts

Rebounds

Denver: Andersen 13
Houston: Yao 19

Assists

Denver: Nene 4
Houston: Lowry, Brooks, Yao 3
Game 3: Denver go to 2-1 lead

After the heartbreaking game 2 loss in double overtime, Denver were eager to arrest back the momentum in the series. With Melo stone cold in the first quarter, Houston took a 5 point lead. However the game was quickly taken over by JR Smith, who scored a game high 22 points. Despite Billups only getting 5 points, he set up the players around him beautifully with 9 assists.

Even though Yao got another double-double (12 points, 13 rebounds), his influence on the game was somewhat halted because of double teams being sent his way. Nene ended up having the better night, getting the Sprite performer of the night, with a double-double as well (16 points, 11 rebounds). But the double-doubles didn't stop there, the Birdman got one of his own, with 10 points and 13 rebounds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
GAME 3: DENVER @ HOUSTON

DEN 71 [Smith 22, Nene 16, Anthony 13]
HOU 62 [Ariza 17, McGrady 16, Yao 12]

Sprite Performer of the Game: Nene 16 pts 11 rebs

Rebounds

Denver: Andersen 13
Houston: Yao 13

Assists

Denver: Billups 9
Houston: Brooks, McGrady 2
------------------------------------------------------

So with a 2-1 lead, can Denver take the series? Or will Houston come back? Either way, one of these teams will have to go back to being labelled a first round casualty. A lot is at stake in this one. Stay tuned
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:28 am

Nice start. Yao playing, lol.
× Watching:
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby |)e8* on Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:21 am

Love your pics (Y)
Thank you maksie for this kick-ass sig
|)e8*

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:44 pm

thierryhenry50 wrote:Nice start. Yao playing, lol.

yeah, and he's been a pain in the ass! Dominating the boards in just about every game!

De8 wrote:Love your pics (Y)

Thanks mate :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game 4: Houston tie series with impressive win

Houston picked up a valuable win at home to tie the series at 2-2 by beating Denver 79-68. Tracy McGrady (19) and Aaron Brooks (15) were hitting absolutely everything, and Yao supported them nicely by almost getting another double-double (14 points, 9 rebounds). Despite a 28 point effort from Carmelo Anthony, the Nuggets were never in this one, as he lacked support. Billups was the only other player to reach double figures and key scorer JR Smith was restricted to just 3 points.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAME 4: DENVER @ HOUSTON

HOU: 79 [McGrady 19, Brooks 15, Yao 14]
DEN: 68 [Anthony 28, Billups 18, Nene 8]

Sprite Performer of the Game: Tracy McGrady 19 pts 9 asts 7 rebs

Rebounds

Denver: Andersen 8
Houston: Yao 9

Assists

Denver: Nene, Allen 4
Houston: McGrady 9

Game 5: Denver toppled at home

After another dominant display from Rockets Centre Yao Ming, Denver will now look to win away in Houston to keep their series alive, losing by 3 points. Achieving yet another double-double with 19 points and 13 rebounds, Denver will have to keep Yao in check the next game if they want any chance of advancing this year.

Down by 10 at the beginning of the fourth, Denver needed a revival and it came at the hands of Chauncy Billups, as they got to within 1 at the end of the game. He ended up with 19. However, it proved to be the Houston point guard, Aaron Brooks who was lights out beyond the arc, having a game high 21 point game. Along with support from Tracy McGrady, who hit two free throws at the end to extend the game. With the last shot to send it into overtime, Billups missed.
GAME 5: HOUSTON @ DENVER

HOU: 84 (Brooks 21, Yao 19, McGrady 16)
DEN: 81 (Billups 19, Smith 16, Melo 16)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Yao Ming 19 pts 13 rbs

Rebounds

Denver: Nene 5

Assists

Denver: Billups 8
Houston: Brooks 7
Game 6: Denver keeps series alive

Denver in need of a win this game, ran over the top of Houston in the final quarter to win 96-85. Chauncy Billups was on fire in the first half, coming up with 24 points to keep Denver's hopes alive in the series, as they were losing by 12 at the half.

Reducing that deficit down to 4 at the end of the 3rd quarter, Denver needed a spark to carry them home and they found one... in the Birdman! He came up huge, getting 12 of his 16 points in that final quarter. He also picked up 8 of his 15 rebounds in the same quarter. It could be said it's the best quarter of the Birdman's career... or atleast the most important one, with Denver's series on the line.
GAME 6: DENVER @ HOUSTON

DEN: 96 (Billups 30, Anthony 19, Andersen 16)
HOU: 85 (Brooks 28, Yao 18, McGrady 17)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Chauncy Billups 30 pts 8 asts

REBOUNDS

Denver: Andersen 15

Assists

Denver: Billups 8
Houston: Brooks 7

This series has gone right down to the wire, needing a 7th and deciding game. Which team will go off to the next round? Will Denver go to the next level? Or stumble at the first obstacle?
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee. on Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:48 pm

An Ouch?
Dee.

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:51 pm

TheDee wrote:Image
An Ouch?

Haha, when I took it I thought it looked like Malik Allen was getting kicked in the balls. Thought it was a good reflection of what it's like when Yao's dominating the game.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:15 pm

Game 7 at Colorado or at Texas?
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:43 pm

thierryhenry50 wrote:Game 7 at Colorado or at Texas?

Game 7 will be in Colorado.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:28 pm

And looking at the playoffs tree in the game, I actually came 4th during the season. I shall amend that sometime soon.

Edit: On the tree I'm 4th, but in the season standings I'm 5th in the West. Did I get a better seed because I won my division?
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:51 am

Yeah, you do. Winning your division gives you a guaranteed top 4 seed. You shouldn't have homecourt advantage though. :?
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:24 pm

The all important game 7 has been played and here's how this tense series has ended:

Denver scrape through

After a hard fought series, Denver have made it to the next round by a solitary point, winning 72-71. Signs looked ominous for Denver in the first quarter, with JR Smith in foul trouble early, Louis Williams scored 9 of Denver's 14 first quarter points, which saw them down by 10. In the second, Denver pulled that lead back thanks to some hot shooting from Carmelo Anthony and tough defense from Nene and the Birdman (as shown in this replay). Chris Andersen ended up with 7 blocks.

In the 4th, Denver went on a run that saw them up by 15 points, but if anyone thought the game was over there, they would have completely forgotten about the rest of the series. By the final 10 seconds, Houston were within 1 of Denver. Looking to stop the clock, Aaron Brooks intentionally fouled Chauncy Billups and he went to the stripe to hit his 2 free throws. Tracy McGrady hit the last shot of the game, but he strayed inside the perimeter, meaning it was only a 2 pointer.

Now with the conclusion of this series, Denver will go on to meet San Antonio, who beat the Lakers 4-1.
----------------------------------------------------------
GAME 7: HOUSTON @ DENVER

DEN: 72 (Anthony 23, Andersen 16, Smith 11)
HOU: 71 (McGrady 20, Yao 16, Ariza 13)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Chris Andersen 16 pts 9 rebs 7 blocks 5 asts

Rebounds

Denver: Andersen 9

Assists

Denver: Andersen, Anthony, Billups 5
Houston: Brooks 6
----------------------------------------------------------

Click here for the slideshow of the series:
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:41 am

Didn't notice... Wizards 2nd seed and Warriors 7th seed :shock: Good luck against the Spurs.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Martti. on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 am

Nice job beating the Rockets! Pretty low score though. :P (I know it's 7 minutes.)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Kenny on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 am

thierryhenry50 wrote:Didn't notice... Wizards 2nd seed and Warriors 7th seed :shock: Good luck against the Spurs.
\

Yeah, the Bobcats at 5 was the biggest surprise for me though. I would have loved to have seen them go through. Anyway, here's hoping Denver becomes enemy number one in Texas with a win against the Spurs :)

Martti. wrote:Nice job beating the Rockets! Pretty low score though. :P (I know it's 7 minutes.)

Thanks mate. Winning against them was extremely satisfying.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cartar on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 am

It would be quite funny if you would beat all 3 Texas teams to reach the Finals, it could actually happen. Good luck against the Spurs, especially as I kind of hate them. Chris Andersen's arm looks quite bizarre on the Game 6th pick.
Cartar

Postby Kenny on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Cartar wrote:It would be quite funny if you would beat all 3 Texas teams to reach the Finals, it could actually happen. Good luck against the Spurs, especially as I kind of hate them. Chris Andersen's arm looks quite bizarre on the Game 6th pick.

It would be fantastic if I could do that. I'd prefer to play the mavs over the suns, coz I can't stop Steve Nash. The Spurs are actually my second favourite team, but for now, they are my enemies!
------------------------------------------------------

Denver Vs San Antonio
---------------------------
OVERVIEW: To pick a player from the Spurs in which I need to focus my defensive attention onto is an impossible task. You have the greatest power forward of all time in Tim Duncan, who you'd think would be the primary focus. However, they also have a finals MVP in Tony Parker, a man whose abilities (when fit) are downright freakish (Ginobili) and not to forget their two off season acquisitions in Antonio McDyess and Richard Jefferson. So to focus on one player could easily lead to an early exit for Denver. Now that's out of the way, here are the results from the first 4 games:
---------------------------

Game 1: San Antonio belt Denver in first game

San Antonio started the game off with a bang, going on a 14-4 run. If someone was to say this would be a flattering lead for Denver during the game, they might have copped some criticism, but they would have been right, as they were down by as many as 21 in the 3rd quarter. After beginning the quarter down by 18, they reduced the deficit to within 9 in the fourth. However this was not enough to disrupt an experience playoff team like the Spurs as they went on to win 91-78.

Tim Duncan picked up the Sprite Performer of the Game, with a dominant display ending with a double-double (29 points, 13 rebounds). Richard Jefferson supported him excellently, showing a soft shooting touch from outside with 27 points of his own. For Denver, Carmelo Anthony scored 18 points, while three players (Billups, Smith and Andersen) all registered 14 points each.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAME 1: DEN @ SAN

SAN: 91 (Duncan 29, Jefferson 27, Ginobili 17)
DEN: 78 (Anthony 18, Billups 14, Smith 14, Andersen 14)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Tim Duncan 29 pts 13 rebs

Rebounds

Denver: Nene, Andersen 6
San Antonio: Duncan 13

Assists

Denver: Billups 7
San Antonio: Parker 6

Game 2: Denver even the score in San Antonio

After going down by 13 in game 1, Denver made the adjustment to win by 13 this time, winning 84-71. JR Smith came up as the top scorer in this game, with 23 points. He's been relatively inconsistent through the playoffs and his performance will be key for the rest of the series. Despite Smith's great performance, it was Nene whow as judged the best picking up a double-double (16 points, 10 rebounds) and 5 assists to go with that. If he had an omen that it was going to be his game, it was this. Unfortunately for him and the Nuggets, he got the shot off after the buzzer.

For San Antonio, both Parker (22) and Duncan (20) had 20 plus games. They were close enough early, but Denver proved to be too good.
DEN: 84 (Smith 23, Nene 16, Billups 13)
SAN: 71 (Parker 22, Duncan 20, Jefferson 17)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Nene 16 pts 10 rebs 5 asts

Rebounds

Denver: Andersen 12
San Antonio: McDyess 11

Assists

Denver: Nene, Anthony, Billups 5
San Antonio: Parker 7

Game 3: San Antonio surge past Denver

A game winning shot by Matt Bonner has given San Antonio the series lead, defeating Denver 65-63. Denver were up by 8 at the beginning of the quarter and were looking set for the series lead heading into their next home game. However a 10-0 run to finish the game had halted the momentum they had in the series.

With San Antonio having an unlikely hero in Matt Bonner at the end of the game, Denver also had one at the beginning. After JR Smith went on a cold streak, Louis Williams provided a spark off the bench with 14 points, which ended up being the game high for Denver.

Now 2-1 down, Denver will have to regroup in their next home game to avoid being down 3-1.
GAME 3: SAN @ DEN

SAN: 65 (Duncan 16, Jefferson 15, Parker 10)
DEN: 63 (L Williams 14, Anthony 13, Andersen 12)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Chris Andersen 12 pts 12 rbs

Rebounds

Denver: Andersen 12
San Antonio: Duncan 9

Assists

Denver: Billups, Andersen 2
San Antonio: Parker 7

Game 4: San Antonio embarrasses Denver at home

A combination of a hot shooting display from San Antonio (particularly Richard Jefferson) and elementary mistakes by Denver saw the Spurs go up 3-1 in the series. After his inspired effort off the bench, Louis Williams was promoted to the starting lineup in this clash. Unfortunately it yielded little result, with Denver getting thumped 92-75. 5 Spurs players hitting double figures, including bench player Matt Bonner. Denver had 4 double figure scoring players, but only Billups (20) and Anthony (17) got 15+ points.

But once again, the key factor of the game ended up being Tim Duncan, as he picked up the Sprite Performer of the Game with his impressive all round stat line. For Denver, the Birdman picked up a double-double (10 points, 13 rebounds).
GAME 4: SAN @ DEN

SAN: 92 (Jefferson 23, Parker 21, Ginobili 18)
DEN: 75 (Billups 20, Anthony 17, Smith 13)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Tim Duncan 14 pts 15 rebs 4 ast 3 blk

Rebounds

Denver: Nene 16
San Antonio: Duncan 15

Assists

Denver: Billups 4
San Antonio: Parker 9

Denver now face an uphill battle to make it to the next stage of the finals. Can they take this one to 7 games as well? Results for the concluding game(s) will be up soon.
Last edited by Kenny on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 am

Ouch, 1-3. It's gonna be hard to go to 7 games again.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Kenny on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Game 5: Denver stay alive

Denver have given their hopes of a series comeback a boost by winning against San Antonio 92-84. Denver fans however could have felt as if their season might be ending in the first quarter, as San Antonio started with a 15-0 run. But both Denver's star wingmen were on the task, as JR Smith and Carmelo Anthony both netted 22 points each. But the Sprite Performer of the Game belonged to the Birdman, as his toughness on the boards in addition to 19 points of his own proved to be the key factor in this game.
-----------------------------------------
GAME 5: DEN @ SAN

DEN: 92 (Smith 27, Anthony 20, Andersen 19)
SAN: 84 (Jefferson 24, Duncan 19, Ginobili 19)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Chris Andersen 19 pts 11 rebs

Rebounds

Denver: Andersen 11
San Antonio: McDyess 11

Assists

Denver: Billups 12
San Antonio: Parker 10

Game 6: So close, yet so far...

Denver came agonisingly close to forcing a 7th game, but unfortunately were beaten by 4 points at home. Tony Parker was intentionally fouled in the dying seconds of the fourth quarter. He hit both free throws to put San Antonio up by 4, with only enough time left for Denver to put up one more shot. A disappointing end to the season, but it's one to be learned from.
GAME 6: SAN @ DEN

SAN: 91 (Duncan 21, Ginobili 21, Parker 18)
DEN: 87 (Smith 22, Anthony 22, Nene 14)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Tim Duncan 21 pts 7 rebs 4 asts 5 blks

Rebounds

Denver: Nene 9
San Antonio: McDyess, Duncan 7

Assists

Denver: Andersen 6
San Antonio: Parker 12
Click the picture to see the slideshow of the series

With one season down, I feel like I know what it takes to win it all, just a matter of getting the right mix of talent. Hopefully in the off-season I can get some depth on my bench. Final playoff results to come as well as my off-season.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:10 am

That sucks :P Hope you can add some quality FA's.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame