Official NBA Live 10 Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 10 here.

Official NBA Live 10 Impressions Thread

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:11 am

Once you've got the full version, feel free to post any impressions here. I'll be posting some detailed initial impressions in the not too distant future, followed by a review once I feel I've had enough hands-on time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Official NBA Live 10 Impressions Thread

Postby LaughOutLoudist on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:20 am

I just got the game and I am new to this site. I haven't played it yet, but I will post my impressions soon.
Andrew, can you tell me what is a patch and how to use it? I made a thread and it is under the name-LaughOutLoudist. Just answer it there.

Thanks for your help
LaughOutLoudist

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 am

I've replied in your other thread, if you have any additional questions about patches please post them in there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kevin02 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 am

i just played my second online versus game and dominated both until a about a minute left in both when my opponets quit and i couldn't do anything about it and everything i had done didn't matter. I dissapointed that this wasn't fixed but i really happy with everything else. I think that dynamic season is probally what i am most excited about. I'll porbally spend most of my time here once the season starts. I already played game 1 of the eastern conference finals against the magic and i had the same problems as the real cavs. Basicly i could focus on stopping the quards or Howard but not both. I lost by over 20 :oops: Playing in a play now game as the cavs vs orlando i did alot better and lost in OT 114 to 109. The game is a huge improvement though from live 09 and i though 09 was pretty good too.
kevin02

Postby ItsLEELAN! on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:17 pm

i got mine today and this is the best nba live i've ever played the only problem is they dont call travel like they should to me thats the only problem every thing else is pretty good coulda did better with the shoes but i aint trippin :D
ItsLEELAN!

Postby imefimef on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 pm

from the gameplay footage ive seen, theres sstill pg dominance, the players models are still weird(saggy and all look like monkeys) but ovevrall a step up for EA sports
They say "b!tc#" is the new black, well i say black is the new president b!tc#.
imefimef

Postby Kenny on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:56 pm

It seems to be a fair bit more difficult than the one I previously played (08). I really have to work for my shots and do a lot more jump shooting in this one, but in the same token, it seems to reward you for making good plays. I'm really impressed with it so far.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby bee-boy on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:07 pm

After playing Nba 2k10 i didn't feel the excitement like i felt when i played 2k9. I see everyone saying live 10 has really stepped up this year and it does look very good. Don't get me wrong 2k10 is a great game but it looks like i might have to get live 10.
ImageWhether you Love him or Hate him you gotta Respect him.
bee-boy
U-Mad!!!!

Postby buzzy on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:44 pm

bee-boy wrote:After playing Nba 2k10 i didn't feel the excitement like i felt when i played 2k9. I see everyone saying live 10 has really stepped up this year and it does look very good. Don't get me wrong 2k10 is a great game but it looks like i might have to get live 10.

It's definitely refreshing. I've been playing 2k the last two years but when I popped in 2k9 a couple of weeks ago I couln't stand it any more.
In Live, you won't find yourself abusing the pick and roll system to the fullest and get a huge dunk every play down the court, neither will you see the CPU throw ridiculous passes into the paint for an undefendable bucket.

I've been enjoying the hell out of Live 10 so far.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby bee-boy on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:06 am

buzzy wrote:
bee-boy wrote:After playing Nba 2k10 i didn't feel the excitement like i felt when i played 2k9. I see everyone saying live 10 has really stepped up this year and it does look very good. Don't get me wrong 2k10 is a great game but it looks like i might have to get live 10.

It's definitely refreshing. I've been playing 2k the last two years but when I popped in 2k9 a couple of weeks ago I couln't stand it any more.
In Live, you won't find yourself abusing the pick and roll system to the fullest and get a huge dunk every play down the court, neither will you see the CPU throw ridiculous passes into the paint for an undefendable bucket.

I've been enjoying the hell out of Live 10 so far.

yeah you are so right buzzy. i just ordered my live 10 and can't wait to get it.
ImageWhether you Love him or Hate him you gotta Respect him.
bee-boy
U-Mad!!!!

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:44 pm

So far, I'd say that NBA Live 10 delivers a very satisfying gameplay experience on the whole, though the issues with the simulated stats in Dynasty Mode have me a little worried about the single player replay value. However, I'll have to wait until I've seen Dynamic Season in action before I completely make up my mind on that, it might be a satisfactory substitute for Dynasty Mode for me until next year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Joe K on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:16 pm

I don't have any problems with the simulated stats. Okay, it's just 10 games into the season but Lebron averages 39 ppg, rebound leaders have 12-13 rpg and the assist leaders have about 12 apg
Joe K

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Which version are you playing? I've yet to get results like that with the Xbox 360 version.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Joe K on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:07 am

I play on the ps3 and I'm now 20 games into my dynasty. The scoring has dropped 4-5 points but it seems rebounds and assists will stay like that
Joe K

Postby kevin02 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:32 am

I also play on PS3. I simmed through a season including offseason. The Cavaliers won the championship over the Lakers. The teams in the playoffs were realistic (accept for memphis making it over denver) but the teams seeding was off. The West all star game selections was very realistic the East was terrible though with Lebron and wade being the only to that would of been there for sure. In the Offseason the only major player not to resign with their team was Chris Bosh (sorry New York). The draft was ok player sizes were better but their were still players looking the same or maybe different hair color. The stats were good as far as how many points rebounds ect the leader averaged but The wrong players were leading the leauge. Rip Hamilton is dominating dynasty mode just like last year. This year he is even better winning MVP. (Pau Gasol finished 2nd for MVP and Kobe finished 4th.)
kevin02

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:07 am

Joe K wrote:I play on the ps3 and I'm now 20 games into my dynasty. The scoring has dropped 4-5 points but it seems rebounds and assists will stay like that

Have you had a glance through each team's stats? The league leaders don't necessarily look too bad, but there are issues with players like Dwight Howard only scoring 8 ppg and starters not getting enough minutes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby gobluen07 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 am

After playing live 10 since release day on ps3, I'd have to say the honeymoon is definitely over. I was loving it at first playing on allstar 12 min quarters. Now I'm finding hard to even finish a game sometimes because of the ridiculous amounts of steals and putback dunks by the cpu. This is with the cpu steal and interception slider turned all the way down. I swear at times its like you can't even dribble the ball against certain players without it resulting in a strip. I'm not tryin to do And1 mixtape moves either just simply dribbling the ball. I'm really trying my hardest to enjoy this game because it has loads of potential, so I'm gonna play around with some player/slider editing for my dynasty rosters and see what happens. If that combined with the upcoming patch doesn't fix things then, back to gamestop it is for live 10. I'm downloading 2k10 for pc to have a backup option
gobluen07

Postby kevin02 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:43 am

gobluen07 wrote:After playing live 10 since release day on ps3, I'd have to say the honeymoon is definitely over. I was loving it at first playing on allstar 12 min quarters. Now I'm finding hard to even finish a game sometimes because of the ridiculous amounts of steals and putback dunks by the cpu. This is with the cpu steal and interception slider turned all the way down. I swear at times its like you can't even dribble the ball against certain players without it resulting in a strip. I'm not tryin to do And1 mixtape moves either just simply dribbling the ball. I'm really trying my hardest to enjoy this game because it has loads of potential, so I'm gonna play around with some player/slider editing for my dynasty rosters and see what happens. If that combined with the upcoming patch doesn't fix things then, back to gamestop it is for live 10. I'm downloading 2k10 for pc to have a backup option

I've had the same problem it seems like when the cpu starts playing good and goes on a run you can't stop it. If you try to dribble past the 3 point line it will get stripped out of your hands no matter who you or the defender is. If you take a jumpshot your going to miss it because you don't have any momentum.
kevin02

Postby gobluen07 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 pm

1goal wrote:
gobluen07 wrote:After playing live 10 since release day on ps3, I'd have to say the honeymoon is definitely over. I was loving it at first playing on allstar 12 min quarters. Now I'm finding hard to even finish a game sometimes because of the ridiculous amounts of steals and putback dunks by the cpu. This is with the cpu steal and interception slider turned all the way down. I swear at times its like you can't even dribble the ball against certain players without it resulting in a strip. I'm not tryin to do And1 mixtape moves either just simply dribbling the ball. I'm really trying my hardest to enjoy this game because it has loads of potential, so I'm gonna play around with some player/slider editing for my dynasty rosters and see what happens. If that combined with the upcoming patch doesn't fix things then, back to gamestop it is for live 10. I'm downloading 2k10 for pc to have a backup option

I've had the same problem it seems like when the cpu starts playing good and goes on a run you can't stop it. If you try to dribble past the 3 point line it will get stripped out of your hands no matter who you or the defender is. If you take a jumpshot your going to miss it because you don't have any momentum.

Yeah the cpu momentum was certainly an issue too, but i dropped the shooting sliders for both human and cpu and it seems to cut down on the extent of the runs a little bit, but this thing with the steals is really starting to bug me. At first i was thinkin, "ok maybe i just suck right now", but after playing it non stop im pretty sure this is just an issue with the game. Granted i am playing with the Knicks but there is no way guys should be getting ripped 4 out of 10 times down the floor.
gobluen07

Postby kevin02 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:58 am

gobluen07 wrote:
1goal wrote:

Yeah the cpu momentum was certainly an issue too, but i dropped the shooting sliders for both human and cpu and it seems to cut down on the extent of the runs a little bit, but this thing with the steals is really starting to bug me. At first i was thinkin, "ok maybe i just suck right now", but after playing it non stop im pretty sure this is just an issue with the game. Granted i am playing with the Knicks but there is no way guys should be getting ripped 4 out of 10 times down the floor.

yea there is for sure alot of problems with the game hopefully the patch fixes some of the major ones.
kevin02

Postby Srbija on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:35 am

After reading very briefly on various sites, it seems as though NBA Live is actually good this year compared to 2k10, where I have read that 2k is pretty much the same game whereas Live has really worked on improving itself compared to their last year's product.

Ok so question is, after switching to 2k since 07, is it time to go back to Live?

note I have not done any serious in depth reading (havn't even really read this thread tbh :lol:) about either of the two games, just some light skimming through, so I'm sure someone on here can give me a good explanation of which is better to help me make a choice on which one to buy.
Srbija
Jayceon Taylor ™

Postby kevin02 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:47 am

Srbija wrote:After reading very briefly on various sites, it seems as though NBA Live is actually good this year compared to 2k10, where I have read that 2k is pretty much the same game whereas Live has really worked on improving itself compared to their last year's product.

Ok so question is, after switching to 2k since 07, is it time to go back to Live?

note I have not done any serious in depth reading (havn't even really read this thread tbh :lol:) about either of the two games, just some light skimming through, so I'm sure someone on here can give me a good explanation of which is better to help me make a choice on which one to buy.

I've only played live but I couldn't say 2k is the same game a new feature was added in my player mode or something like that but then live has dynamic season. I can't say which one is better because i haven't really played 2k but i hope this helps a little.
kevin02

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 am

If in doubt, rent both or at least check out the demos.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby gobluen07 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:39 pm

1goal wrote:
Srbija wrote:After reading very briefly on various sites, it seems as though NBA Live is actually good this year compared to 2k10, where I have read that 2k is pretty much the same game whereas Live has really worked on improving itself compared to their last year's product.

I've only played live but I couldn't say 2k is the same game a new feature was added in my player mode or something like that but then live has dynamic season. I can't say which one is better because i haven't really played 2k but i hope this helps a little.

I own both, Live 10 on Ps3 and 2k10 on the pc, and as you can see from my comment above , live was alot of fun at first because it was a breath of fresh air initially. After playing more though, a lot of underlying issues started to appear, such as unstoppable cpu scoring runs on allstar and superstar levels(ie shooting 35% through the first 3 quarters then shooting 75% in the 4th). Way too many steals, blocks and offensive rebounds also by the cpu. Unbalanced foul calls also going in favor of the cpu(scheduled to be fixed in the november patch btw). I know it all sounds bad but this game really does have a lot of potential. I haven't tried this yet but people are saying that they are having better games on PRO level, with adjusted sliders of course.

In comparison to 2k, Live plays much, much smoother. 2k is still a little herky, jerky in my opinion and the iso motion dribbling is far inferior to the right stick dribbling in Live. 2k has the advantage in graphics, animations and presentation. the association mode still has the upper hand over Live's franchise mode, simply because Live's sim engine is STILL broken after all these years. I cant really comment on 2k's Online capabilities because, well, the pc version's seem to be broken LOL. Live has the Dynamic season feature which seems like a cool concept but since the season hasnt started, we dont know yet. I havent tried 2k's My Player mode on pc yet because i keep reading that there is just too many bugs.

I know this is a little all over the place, but its late and i have been staring at computer screens all day at work LOL. I hope it helps though. On a side note 20 bucks for 2k10 is still a great price for a game that is just as fun as last years version. And once this great community digs its claws into it im sure we can look foward to some great mods :headbang:

Edit: One thing i forgot to add about 2k10 is, the backdoor passes to the paint still seems to be an issue unfortunately. Im gonna play around with some sliders and see what happens.
gobluen07

Postby Lamrock on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:01 pm

I played the demo and it just felt... off. I liked the last two Lives games. Not as much as 2K, but they were fun and that control/gameplay system had its place. Taking away the beloved dunk/layup button was the first disappointment. Also, it may just be me, but the court seemed way too small. It felt like I was getting up the court in 2 seconds time. Maybe I'm just used to My Player.

Additionally, the graphics looked horrible. The lighting effects seemed about three times too intense, and Dwight Howard among others looked bizarre. Worst looking Live of this generation in my opinion.

I only played one game though. Are these problems in the final version? Am I totally biased?
Lamrock

Next

Return to NBA Live 10