Hov's Kings - Retired

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: Hov's Sonics (3-12) - Parker, Bradley, Heat, Spencer

Postby hova- on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:57 pm

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'
December 3rd --- Game vs Lakers @Staples Center

Beno stood at the line. Once again. I think we did a good job inbounding the ball to him since he's one of our best free throw shooters. Despite his struggle for most of the game he hit the two freethrows. We were still up by five. Phil Jackson called at time out. "What would the old man tell his guys?", I asked myself.

"Okay guys, we gotta watch out. It's obvious that Kobe's gonna get the ball. Don't bother playing the passing lanes. Just stay with your men and don't leave your feet. Okay guys, 1,2,3 defense!"

We definitely looked in shape to bring this one home. I pulled Reke aside: "Tyreke, you gotta guard Kobe. Don't leave your feet. I don't want to risk a foul. Just try to stay with him and when he gets the ball, play him tight. Don't fall on one of his fakes". "That's what I'm gonna do, Coach", he was still breathing very hard, the game was really exhausting him.

The jumbotron had Reke at 46 minutes. Hell, I did my best to give him a rest, but we simply needed him.

Artest inbounded the ball. 7 seconds left on the clock. Kobe grabbed the ball. He dribbled the ball between his legs twice and pumpfaked, but Reke did not leave his feet. Kobe went up and faded away from two feet behind the three point line. Reke looked like frozen as the ball went over his head. Nothing but net. Kobe was yelling at the ref about some contact made but he did not get the call. With two points up and 4 seconds left I felt like we could bring this to an end.

"Timeout!", I shouted and hold my guys together. "Okay, three seconds left, nothing happened, we just need to hit the next free throws and it will be all but over. So we'll go with Thompson, Carl, Omri, Garcia and Beno. "Reke, you stay on the bench. "What?", "The game's on the line Coach, I gotta be in there", he answered heatedly "Stop talking, dude, sit down. You're totally exhausted, we need some safe hands on the line now."

Evans sat down and put a towel over his head trying to hold back his anger.
Garcia inbounded the ball over Fisher's head with a long, risky pass and found Udrih. Artest came over and checked his elbow into Udrih's chest.

"That's a flagrant, man, what the fuck! Get that Psycho out of the game", I took a shot at Artest, but the refs only called a reaching foul. "One more word and you'll be t-ed up", the ref fired back.

"Fuck you", I mumbled. Artest had a smile on his face and went over to the free throw line.

Beno held his chest and was clearly in pain, but the officials did not allow me to sub him out. Bryant went over to Udrih and had some words for him. Things seemed so one-sided as the Champs were getting away with everything.

"He gotta hit those ...", I prayed. Beno took the first shot ... the ball only touched the back of the rim and fell in." Up by three. Not enough against Kobe & the Lakers", I thought.

He took the second shot, the ball bounced on the rim once, twice ... and also fell in.

"Yeaaaaaah!", I shouted. The Lakers did not have a timeout left and Derek Fisher heaved a shot from half court but couldn't hit.

I was running onto the court like a bat out of hell hugging my guys, who were all chanting "Beat LA, Beat LA". Casspi high fived me. "What a game, Coach", "Oh yeah, but we did it", I answered.

The whole team was celebrating like we had won the Championship, but only one guy sat on the bench with a towel over his head.

"He still got a long way to go", I thought ...
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics (3-12) - California Dreamin' / Five liners

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:59 pm

Nice update.

One thing... Fisher hit that buzzer beater. You're just covering it up like China covered up Tiananmen Square
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby hova- on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 am

Sit, you wanted something bout the Lakers, there you got it ;)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:01 am

Nice idea with the five liners. (Y) And nice win over the Lakers...
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Clutch on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:46 am

good last-second FT save by the Ud (Y) but man i hope 'reke doesn't become yet another headstrong brat :?
Clutch
^ Life... currently :\

Re: Hov's Sonics (4-12) - California Dreamin' / Five liners

Postby hova- on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:25 am

Thierry •, thx, actually I was reading through the Dynasty hall of fame and saw some nice stuff I thought that I could use in my D. Somehow I came up with it. Old Ds are good inspiration.

Clutch, well, I doubt that I can characterize someone like Sit does and honestly, it is not my goal. I want to get some life into my players, but I see the "GMs desk" more as a feature to post my own thoughts integrated into the story. If Evans becomes a brat? I don't know. It depends on how the games are played, in this game ... I did not need him in the end because I hate his signature freethrow :D
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Martti. on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:43 am

Beating a team like the Lakers is a big confidence booster, especially with your current record. Sucks about Tyreke acting out.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Lamrock on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:11 am

Congrats on the win. Hope Reke didn't get too pissed off with the lack of playing time (while he was injured)
Lamrock

Postby Clutch on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:07 am

hova- wrote:honestly, it is not my goal. I want to get some life into my players, but I see the "GMs desk" more as a feature to post my own thoughts integrated into the story.

didn't intend to imply you didn't do it well, hova; only that i hope Evans gets over his bruised ego quickly and gets back to leading as a leader should - by example

the 'GM desk' itself is a nice complement to game recaps and 5-liners and is really well-narrated to boot (Y); i occasionally try to add similar coach's perspectives every now and then in 'journal' format just to give more insight & behind the scenes
Clutch
^ Life... currently :\

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:42 am

hova- wrote:Old Ds are good inspiration.

Yes they are... also saw some things and ended up with the Weekly Rewinds. :)
× Watching:
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: Hov's Sonics (1-2) - Loosing games, loosing players

Postby hova- on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Tyreke Evans' almost triple double helped the Sonics beat L.A.

Advent season starts off well for Sonics
By Carl Column, NBA.com
Posted on December 2010 9:03

Chanukka will start on the 16th of December and is one of the most important jewish holidays, which reminds of the blessing of the temple in Jerusalem.

Omri Casspi does everything to have an even sweeter Chanukka festivity as he does not stop to post big numbers and plays just great for the Seattle Supersonics.

Casspi is averaging 20.2 points and 5.4 rebounds per game after 19 games shooting a more than solid .477% from the field and .400% from the three point line.

The 6-10 Israeli forward seems to have made another big step as he simply does not slow down although playing over 36 minutes per game this season.

"I had to learn how to train the right way. Last season I fell into a big whole after trying to do too much. This year I used the offseason to improve my game and keep it simple during the season".

California Love

The european sophomore is not the only one who seems to be able to lift his game to another level.

When the Sonics visited Staples Center for their first game in December, one guy was extremely motivated: Tyreke Evans.
After missing the first meeting with the Lakers because of an strained achilles tendon, the 21-year old guard seemed to be on fire from the very beginning.

Evans scored 16 of his 26 in the first half and tied the game with a beautiful and-1 play with just two seconds to go in the 2nd quarter to let the Sonics hang in there.

Whilst Evans had a tough time scoring in the 2nd half and facing double teams (he only shot 11-24 over the course of the match), Kobe Bryant just went through with his game.

Bryant had 37 points, 14 of them in the last quarter including two three pointers on the last two possesions.

But the game was simply over before, as Beno Udrih hit all his clutch freethrows and the Lakers struggled to score in the third quarter (only 15 points).

Pau Gasol, who is experiencing another All-Star level season (21 ppg / 10.6 rpg) fought foul problems all game long and ended up scoring 13 points on 4-16 shooting.

Player Of The Game Tyreke Evans had 26 points, 7 boards and 10 assists playing 46 minutes. He had to sit out on the final possesion though, causing a little dispute with Coach Hova.

"The kid is good, no question. He reminds me a bit of myself at that time and I can tell you, he still has a lot of work to do", 5-time champion Bryant said after the game.

Evans did not answer questions regarding his conflict with the coach or Kobe Bryant. "I'm pretty drained now and need some sleep", the sophomore said.

Omri Casspi added 19 points and Carl Landry had 17 and 13 boards as the Sonics surprisingly outrebounded the Lakers 49-37 and won 93-90.

Ups & downs: Mavs visit Sonics

After the pleasent win over the Lakers, the Sonics seemed a bit tired when they hosted the Dallas Mavericks the following night.

After a horrible first half, where he struggled with fouls, Dirk Nowitzki picked up the slack for the 15-7 Mavericks. The German scored 16 of his 24 points in the 2nd half and added 10 rebounds.

Man of the match for the Mavericks was Caron Butler though, who had 30 points and crashed the boards with 9 rebounds, 3 offensively.

Seattle lost the game in the 3rd when they were outscored by 11 points. Tyreke Evans had a team high 29 points but only shot 12-27 from the field. Omri Casspi also struggled with his shot and ended up with 17 points.

A decent outing had Jason Thompson. With Carl Landry being out for most of the game with foul problems, the forward out of Rider chipped in 15 points and grabbed 14 boards off the bench.

All in all, the Sonics were struggling with their shot and the Mavs seemed a tad fresher, especially the ever-hustling Caron Butler, who took it coast-to-coast on one play to jam it in, just to grab the offensive rebound on the next possession and finish it plus the foul. "Tough juice" at his best as the Mavs win it 107-91.

SPALDING shot of the game: Donte Greene vs the Washington Wizards (12/08/2010).

Starting the week in fashion

After the beat up by the Mavs, Seattle headed back to L.A. to visit the other team in Los Angeles. The very unsuccessfull Clippers were not able to get another W vs the Sonics and lost the game 99-88.

Tyreke Evans scored 32 points and Omri Casspi had 16 on 7-8 shooting as the Sonics rallied away before halftime and let the Clippers never come back.

Baron Davis scored 8 points and had 5 dimes in 33 minutes, still looking out of shape after 22 games in the season. "He's not working enough", Coach Del Negro said, heating up the distraction about the distracted playmaker.

On Wednesday, only two days before the game against the Miami Heat, the Sonics hosted the Wizards, who only won 8 out of 21 games this season.

The Sonics just continued their game from L.A. and led by 18 points at the half. Still they let the Wizards come back at times making the game never really relaxing for Coach Hova.

"We gotta finish those opponents. You can't let them get up. You have to knock them out. We let them get back although they were already down for the count", he said after the game.

Omri Casspi scored 27 points, added 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals in only 31 minutes, being greatly effective. Tyreke Evans outplayed rookie John Wall with 19 points and 4 dimes, as the point guard sensation out of Kentucky only scored 8 points and added 6 assists.

Andray Blatche was the game-high man for the Wizards with 22 and 13, Josh Howard added 21 but the Sonics bench scored 33 points to give the Sonics a 89-100 home win.

Donte Green showed some energy off the bench with 6 points and 4 rebounds and a wicked poster dunk on the break.

All in all, a solid 2-0 start into the week for the Sonics, who will face the Heat on Saturday night. The "Thrice" is currently first in the East, dropping only one of their last 10 games (18-6).

Suns send Dragic to D-league, sign Brevin Knight ...
Mavs beat Nets 135-85 at American Airlines Arena ...
Thad Young explodes for 36 against Cavaliers ...
Westbrook has triple double in win over T-Wolves ...

Check Sonics stats and League Standings here ...
Last edited by hova- on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics (4-12) - Picking it up ...

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Sorry man, don't like the Dragonball Z Spalding. :(
Fresh8

Postby dare on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Nice update, goodluck against the cHeat. win man win. Also like the Evans pic it looks real :)
dare
True kings have rings

Postby hova- on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Sit, oh c'mon man, some love for a mixture of realism and art. I went through some old dynasty threads and love some of the artwork in there. Text-based and realistic is one side, but some photoshop action should be in there, too. At least what I think ;) I think you're still offended by the Lakers' loss :D

dare, cHeat will be very very tough. The only reason why I can beat the Lakers is because they have problems at PG which does not cover up my bigger problems at PG. Wade will definitely be a problem when he plays the one.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:49 pm

The idea is good. I like other effects but just not fond of the Dragonball Z look. :)

I'm sure you will impress me with other pictures later down the track.

And fuck man, I said I didn't wanna follow this but look - here I am. :doh:
Fresh8

Postby dare on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Wade always play one in 2k11, he always go for a screen then drives for an easy layup or dunk. The same for Lebron too.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby hova- on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:37 am

Rip Hamilton's days in Detroit are over as he will join Corey Brewer and the T-Wolves in Minneapolis.

Pistons send Hamilton to Minnesota
December 11th, Posted 11:03 am

There aren't many other General Managers in the NBA, who have been in the news as often as Joe Dumars and David Kahn. There aren't two other General Managers in the NBA, who have been made responsible more for the obvious decline of their franchises because of so many questionable decisions.

And those two of all GMs decided to pull the trigger for the first time in this 2010-2011 campaign, as the Detroit Pistons executed a deal which sends SG Richard Hamilton to the T-Wolves in exchange for Sebastian Telfair and a 2nd round draft pick for next year's draft.

Richard Hamilton, the 32-year old sharp shooter out of UConn, is in his 12th year as a NBA pro and after missing almost half of last season, he has yet to miss a game in this campaign. The 6-7 wingman is averaging 17.8 points and 3.2 assists per game on .445% shooting from the field.

Sebastian Telfair has only played in 16 games this season, seeing no more than 4.6 minutes per contest. The streetball legend is in his seventh NBA year, still he's only 25 years old. The 6-2 point guard holds career averages of 7.6 points and 3.2 assists per game. The Detroit Pistons will be his 5th team in his career.

ImageFrom a Pistons standpoint, this deal makes sense and is not much more than a salary dump. Joe Dumars has finally detected that his team is in a major rebuilding process. Further he must have seen that the Pistons were way too loaded with G-F players (Ben Gordon, Tayshaun Prince, Tracy McGrady ... to name a few).

He made the right decision to give away the one with the biggest contract. Hamilton will earn around 36M $ over the next three years. That's not only too much for a player of his calibre and age, it's also too much for the Pistons to be a big spender or contender on the free agent market.

Telfair's contract (2.7M $) will expire after this season, which will leave the Pistons with around 31M $ of guaranteed contracts this offseason. A whole lot to operate with.

GRADE: Good job, Mr. Dumars. This deal was overdue, but I guess it was tough to find somebody dumb enough to pull it through.
B+

ImageDavid Kahn? What the hell was you thinking. Well, here's a little quota from Rip Hamilton's introduction yesterday:

"We are glad to welcome some veteran leadership and fundamental scoring power as well as a good team defender in Minnesota. Rip can help our young squad to develop their game and take responsibility on the court. Richard Hamilton will be our team captain and I hope that we will improve further with him on board".

Aha. Okay. Actually Rip Hamilton will be able to give you all that stuff. "Veteran leadership", "fundamental scoring". For me this sounds like a try to find some euphemisms for "being old", "being not athletic at all". Here are two major flaws I'd like to name for David Kahn.

The Minnesota Timberwolves already have three wingmen with potential. Corey Brewer, Wes Johnson (Rookie of the Month in the West!) and Martell Webster all play on the two-guard or smaller forward positions. These guys can play. If you want them to develop and improve, they need to play.

The Minnesota Timberwolves are ... from Minnesota! It's tough enough to get a big free agent to identify with snow and desert, but there would have been one key for the Wolves to bring in a star: money. Money, money, money.
With Rip Hamilton devouring 12.5M $ for the next three years, the T-Wolves payroll will rise to at least 50M $ (given Kahn pulls the right options, please don't disappoint me), which won't allow the T-Wolves to hand out any max. contract.

GRADE: Veteran leadership, fundamental scoring ... just don't take away playing time from your most talented players. Also, there are already enough overpaid players (Milicic, Pekovic, Ridnour with too long contracts) on the T-Wolves' roster.
D-
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics (4-12) - Trade / Picking it up ...

Postby Lamrock on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 am

Turrible trade for Minny. Rip's old as dirt and kills both their lottery and free agency chances.
Lamrock

Postby Wyze on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:12 am

Not a great trade for Minnesota, but with a team full of young guys, they do need veteran leadership. I suppose that the $12.5 million is quite expensive for a locker room presence though. This deal looks like it should have been made by a contender with a "win now" attitude. Oh well, lets just be thankful the CPU didn't trade Johnson for Hamilton instead :P
Wyze

Postby hova- on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:17 am

I also did not like the trade for the Wolves, BUT, it's Minny and it's David Kahn. And they do not get weaker with this trade since Hamilton can definitely play. It just does not make too much sense. For the Pistons I find it a great trade, that the CPU would have never done in recent 2k games.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:49 am

Hov, you made the trade or let the CPU made it? Terrible for Minny, but I guess Detroit's rebuilding had to start at some point.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Valor on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:24 am

Sit wrote:The idea is good. I like other effects but just not fond of the Dragonball Z look. :)

That :) would've been way better without that effect on the ball man

no comment on the trade, i don't like either team or any of the players involved
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:52 am

It's Donte Greene. (Y)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby hova- on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:12 am

Thierry •, the CPU made it. I give 3-4 days a month for the CPU to make trades and then turn CPU trade OFF again.

Valor, next time, other pic. I like it though. The Spalding shot of the game will definitely return! :)

Martti., typo.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Valor on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:22 pm

hova- wrote: Spalding shot of the game will definitely return! :)

Awesome. I like it with the exception of that ball (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame