Hov's Kings - Retired

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: Hov's Sonics (22-39) - Talkin' 'bout the Rookies

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 am

Nice article Hov, and great to see Splitter with solid numbers.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Houndy on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:09 am

Wall is rapin
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby |)e8* on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Turner is actually decent!! :O
Thank you maksie for this kick-ass sig
|)e8*

Postby Valor on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Blake needs to start playing more like his real life counterpart (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Mandich on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Evan Turner is doing really well in your association . . . too bad Cousins isn't in the race for the ROY
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby dare on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Valor wrote:Blake needs to start playing more like his real life counterpart (Y)

2k underestimated him, in mine I edit the tendencies so that he grabbed more rebounds and score more points.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Sit, thx, bro. I'm sitting at an article for you now ;)

Thierry •, Splitter's doing well, a bit too many fouls maybe.

Houndy, actually I don't like his numbers that much, he is not very effective. But that may be because he is playing so much.

|)e8*, so far, my ROTY. He's putting up great all-around numbers.

Valor, well, maybe you get enough interaction points to let him develope a solid post game over the course of the offseason :)

mandich, Cousins not even close. I really hope I can improve him.

dare, ye, he is. I already upped his shooting tendency as it was anywhere in the 50ies. Still, he is not a decent scoer in the game. (I guess that is because pure explosiveness is not too effective in 2k.

Thx for all the comments, added the pic of Turner to the article.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks man. Don't work too hard on it.

I am enjoying your D very much!
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Valor on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:51 pm

hova- wrote:well, maybe you get enough interaction points to let him develope a solid post game over the course of the offseason :)

naw man, any points i earn will be for my beloved Rose :)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Kubik on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Very nice article !
Kubik

Postby The X on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 pm

|)e8* wrote:Turner is actually decent!! :O

It's no surprise really, Evan Turner is a very good player IRL
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Re: Hov's Sonics (3-12) -

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:42 pm

███ Shock for the Trailblazers: Roy out for season
PORTLAND (AP)

Things just don't get better for the often injury-plagued Portland Trailblazers. Four time All-Star Brandon Roy has broken his foot in Portland's 104-106 loss @Charlotte and will be out for the complete 2010/11 campaign, including Playoffs.

"Brandon will undergo surgery on his broken foot", Blazers GM Rich Cho said and added "that he will also get his meniscus repaired on both knees". The latter will cause Roy to miss the post season.

Brandon Roy is averaging 22.1 points, 4.1 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game. At 37-31 the Blazers are 2nd in the Northwest Division behind the Thunder (41-26) and stand at 7th in the Western Conference, one game in front of the Denver Nuggets.

███ Seattle signs Vassilis Spanoulis
SEATTLE (AP)

The Seattle Supersonics organization today announced that they have signed Greek point guard Vassilis Spanoulis for the remainder of the season.

With Beno Udrih and Pooh Jeter out due to injury, the Sonics only had Luther Head left as point guard.

"We tried to add some depth and we think Vassilis can really help us with his well-experienced play", Coach and GM Chris Hova said.

The 29 year old Greek played one season for Olympiakos and averaged 10.1 points and 5 assists per game in the Euro League. Spanoulis hopes to get a follow-up contract if he convinces and wants to show his skills to other team.

"Vassilis feels like it is time to have another try in the NBA", his agent told media.

███ Rondo, Cs on fire
BOSTON (AP)

The Bostons Celtics have been on a run recently and one big reason for their success is five year point guard Rajon Rondo.

The Celtics have won nine of their last 10 games and Rondo is averaging 16 points and 13 assists over that span. In their last game vs Indiana (111-126W), Rondo had 19 points, 9 rebounds, 13 assists and 5 steals. Paul Pierce added 37 points.

The Cs have the 2nd best record in the East with 45-21 with only Miami being better at 54-14. Rondo is averaging 13.1 points, 5.9 rebounds and 9.9 assists as well as 2.2 steals per game.

███ Streaking Spurs are still there
SAN ANTONIO

The often written off San Antonio Spurs are back in the title contention race after winning 9 of their last 10 games and five in a row.

At 40-27 the Spurs managed to grab the fourth spot in the West only two games behind the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Greg Popovich's team only lost to the Heat in the last two weeks but were able to take revenge yesterday with a 101-99 win @Miami. The Spurs also beat the Lakers, Rockets and Thunder in that ten game span.

A big reason for the recent wins is Tim Duncan. The four time NBA Champion scored posted 39/19 vs Los Angeles and 41/16 vs the Sonics. He had at least 12 boards in his last six games and is averaging 12.1 boards per game, the best since 2003-2004.

███ Meredith starts NCAA Tournament off well, Spencer's already out
MANSFIELD (AP)

The top favorite for the College Champ title, the UConn Huskies, were able to win their first round game against Louisville behind a solid performance of the sure-fire number one pick of the upcoming draft Lance Meredith.

The 6-11 big man scored 14 points and grabbed 8 rebounds and also dished out 5 assists and blocked three shots to lead his team to a 56-70 win.

The Huskies will face Marquette in the 2nd round.

The 1st round did not start well for Darryl Spencer. Wake Forest lost the first game and was knocked out by Wisconsin 60-66. Spencer had 11 points and 8 assists.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics (22-39) - FIVELINER: SRY BLAZERS FANS

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:12 am

Spanoulis, I thought he was dead :lol:
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Kubik on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:34 am

It will be hard time for Blazers. But they have also Aldridge, not everything is lost : :)
Kubik

Postby hova- on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:50 am

Thierry •, Spanoulis rocks. Chris Hova's euro affection is in full effect :)

Kubik, They will make the Playoffs, but there's no chance for making noise in there.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Pistol on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:54 am

Hova, this looks great mean. The picture everyone always has are nice and all, but I really appreciate a story like this. You can tell your putting forth a lot of effort into it. Very detailed articles, love it man.
Pistol
You have to want it as bad as you need to breath.

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:56 am

Another solid update (Y)

Come on man, let's get to the draft already!
Fresh8

Postby Martti. on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:00 am

Spanoulis, interesting choice. I'd have thought there are like 20 better PG's in the FA pool. :lol:
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby dare on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:34 am

I'm sure Lamrock loves that first news
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Haven't been commenting recently, but great to see this one back in action. (Y) I hope Evan Turner wins ROY, that'd be nice. Very shocking to see Roy get injured. :P
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby hova- on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Agent420, thank you very much, definitely appreciated.

Sit, I feel with you, I am also looking forward to the offseason, but I will also cover the Playoffs, so it might take some time ;)

Martti., I upped his rating a bit, because he was a 49 which is ridiculous. Spanoulis is one of the best PGs in Europe in my opinion. So he's more like a 59 now (not very good either).

dare, I first wanted to headline "SRY LAMROCK", but I thought that would be too direct.

Axel., thanks. I hope that Turner will be given the award. He's the most effective rookie by far. If you look at the field goal numbers, those are pretty shocking. Most rookies shoot well below .500. Turner's around .48 which is good.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby hova- on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:58 am

Team Focus

Wes Johnson is only one reason for the Wolves drastic improvement writes Carl Column in his NBA.com team focus.

Running with the wolf pack
By Carl Column, NBA.com
Posted on March 20th 2011 8:50PM

Wolves are group-living animals. Within the pack, there's a balanced hierarchy and you will never ever see a wolf hunting alone except when all of his family members died or have disappeared.

It might sound a bit too much biological, but what the Minnesota Timberwolves are experiencing this season, seems to fit exactly into that biological explanation of a wolf's behaviour.

It seemed like there was no hope for a team that only won 15 games last year, ending the season as the worst team in the West and only 2nd worst in the league thanks to the New Jersey Nets and their horrid record (12-70). David Kahn was maybe the most misunderstood General Manager in the league, and honestly, there was no reason for understanding him.

Drafting two point guards with consecutive picks in 2009 with one being the infamous Ricky Rubio, who has not yet found his way overseas and instead is playing for Barcelona in Spain. Or how about four-year contracts for Darko Milicic and Luke Ridnour. Or signing Nikola Pekovic? The draft choice of Wesley Johnson with already Martell Webster and Corey Brewer on the wing? And don't forget about the acquisition of Rip Hamilton in mid-season for basically no reason.

So what has this guy done right? At the moment, it seems like a lot. Not that these Wolves are a very good team in this league right now, they still won't make the Playoffs and have another trip to lottery land.

But something is clicking on this roster. And this "something" is reminding me of a wolf pack. The Timberwolves have already more than doubled their wins from last year (15-67 -> 31-40), ten games before the end of the season. And their key is their well-balanced hierarchy.

This team is stacked with talent and no one tries to make himself a superstar when he really isn't. Six guys are in double figures in scoring, the 7th, Luke Ridnour scores 9.3 points per game.

The triangle offense used by coach Kurt Rambis is working quite well because with Rip Hamilton, Wes Johnson, Kevin Love and Michael Beasley, the Wolves have four guys next to their point guard Jonny Flynn who can handle the ball and work together in triangles via passing, setting screens and running plays effectively.

Rip Hamilton's acquisition has also paid off so far. The 12-year veteran brings locker room leadership and the experience of six Eastern Conference finals with the Detroit Pistons to one of the youngest teams in the NBA. After playing for Larry Brown and Flip Saunders, Hamilton knows how to defend well as a team, and is doing everything to teach it to his talented team mates. And he still can score from mid range, especially hitting open shots when Michael Beasley draws a double team or Jonny Flynn kicks it out after driving to the hoop.

With Kevin Love, the Wolves also have one of the best rebounders of the NBA on their roster (7th in rebound% with 18.3% - Dwight Howard leads the league with 19.8%).
Wes Johnson is in the ROTY race and has so far bloomed in his first NBA year, hitting the three (.371%) and grabbing boards (7.2 rpg - sixth among small forwards)

So what's the next step for the T-Wolves?

Basically, these guys have everything it needs to grow by theirselves. A Ricky Rubio would definitely not hurt, but at the moment it seems unrealistic that he will leave Spain for the icy Minneapolis.

After some more inquest I found out that a wolf pack indeed has a well-balanced hierarchy, but it also has a leader, who everybody is looking up to and whom you can trust in difficult situation.
The T-Wolves don't have such a leader, and in NBA basketball just like in the animal kingdom you need someone who can step up when the game is on the line.

Let's hope that one of these several gifted players can bring his game to the next level and be such a leader for the Wolves. If so, postseason is nearing Minnesota next year. If not, best luck, David Kahn.

hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics (22-39) - Running with the wolf pack ...

Postby Fresh8 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:47 am

Very nice informative article on the Wolves.

I hope you can get Ricky there... I like the Wes pic also :)
Fresh8

Postby Houndy on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:48 am

Nice article
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby dare on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Love the article. Even though the Wolves ain't going to the playoffs still they are going on the right track.
dare
True kings have rings

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame