Hov's Kings - Retired

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: Hov's Sonics (17-30) - On hold ... I need your opinions!

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:18 am

Yep, it would be a shame to end this now... I'm with Sit, sim and update with any changes.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 am

Okay -hova, here's what you should do: re-do the trades and everything, and just sim the entire first season. Then, go with the off-season. Things should more or less work out. If a team that is 25-25 in here finishes this sim 26-56, it can be an interesting story.
Lamrock

Postby Houndy on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Agreed with Lamrock. Then we can see if you can get Meredith or the other guys (Y)
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Martti. wrote:Maybe it's the Sonics screwing something up?

It's the Stealth curse ;)

hova- wrote:Thanks for your replies. I may go with starting over then. I don't like it, but it's better than continuing something that I know I can't finish.

It will take some time to get all the editing etc. done ... I will be back sooner or later with this one.

Oh and by the way. I have internet at home now. After three weeks. Felt like ages.

Does this mean I will see you more in my thread man? Also, my gf is in Germany atm. (Y)

And ever thought of starting something completely new? As long as you're motivated to continue, all good but I know that in the past, save crashes have ruined my motivation for past threads. Luckily hasn't happened in 2K9 yet :)
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks for your support, guys.

Martti., I already tried out a new Association with the Sonics and everything was working fine. Maybe it's because my save is prepatch or something like that.

Sit, I'll be your guest more often now, mainly because my inet is working again. Where is your girl friend exactly?

About the completely new thing: in my opinion that seperates the core of this forum from the others. Guys like you and the X and in this term I want to add my name, too ... we just don't want to end story after story but rather build a long-time parallel NBA universe, a dynasty. I don't have the motivation to start over because I already feel like "hopefully I can get this player in the draft", and "wow, Durant is the man in my D".
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 pm

You know that I will enjoy your D no matter what you do. You have great shot at overtaking Martti because he chose the team that he knows I will never support. :P

Girlfriend is on a train to Stuttgart right now. She just spent a few days in Berlin I think. She's there on an 'architecture' trip
Fresh8

Postby The X on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Whatever you do I will be watching. If you start a new one, I suggest editing your first draft class to include the few prospects you like. And I guess adjust story on ones you can't be bothered making (i.e. stays in school, career debilitating injury etc)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Okay guys, I simmed until March and did everything (editing wise etc.) to keep it as close as possible to my first save.

I'm pretty satisfied, almost the same All-Stars (I think at least 18 of 24 were the same), almost the same stats after major editing and almost the same standings with two exceptions (and Sit will kill me for one): The Lakers struggle at 31-30 and the Cavs are still in the Playoff race and above .500. Nothing that could not be change until the end of April though.

Next step will be editing the rookies. I want to include at least the top 10, it may take some time, but it's worth it (for me).

Nevertheless I will post at least my GM's diary chapter, have fun with it.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics (3-12) - Agonizing

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Big Trouble in Hollywood
February 18th, The All-Star Game

Geoff Petrie and I were watching the All-Star Game at the Sonics office lobby.
“Did you just see that?”, Petrie said.
“What?”, I replied.
“Rondo just hit another jumpshot”, my assistant said with his eyes wide open.
“He pretty much seems unstoppable lately. Oh how would I love to have a playmaker like him on my team”, I took another sip of my now 4th beer of the night. The game was still in the 2nd quarter.
“We did the right thing”, Petrie clinked glasses.
“We’re on the run for 30 wins this season. A lottery pick is guaranteed. There was no reason for acquiring Bledsoe. Think about Chase, Graham, Arthur. Dream of Meredith!”.
Petrie was already pretty drunk and my movements felt shaky, too, when I staggered to the restroom.
“Excuse me for a minute”.

I opened the door of the restroom. I held myself on the wall and opened my belt.
“RRRRING”
My cell phone rang, the number seemed to be disabled.
“Hova”, I tried to sound sober.
“Heeeey, Mr. Hova. Aaaahm, I just wanted to tell ya that Demarcus won’t be able to work with the team tomorrow”.
“Who’s there?”, I asked trying to put my shirt back into my trousers.
“I’m a friend of Demarcus, he won’t be with the team tomorrow”, the unknown voice answered. It was tough to understand him with loud music in the background. He must have been in a club or bar.
“What? Why doesn’t he call me by himself? What’s wrong with you?”, I just could not get my shirt back into my pants properly.
“He can’t speak now”, the guy responded.
“You better get Demarcus to the phone right now, for fuck sake”, I yelled into the phone.
“Hey D, he wants to talk to you”, I heard him whispering.
“Okay, D’s coming”, he gave his phone away.
“HEEEEEY, HOOOVEEEEE”, Demarcus shouted into the phone.
“I am sooo sry, but I cannot cum to the party, I mean workout, tomorrow”, he yelled.
“What’s wrong with you?”, I asked him.
I felt like I could smell his alcohol breaththrough the phone, but it was probably my own breath smelling like a brewery.
“I’m a bit fucking drunk, Hooovee”, he said.
“You better get your ass to Seattle tomorrow or I will take care of the situation”, I interrupted him.
“Ohhh coach, I love you. Don’t be soooo rude”, he was sounding high as a cloud in the sky.
“You know what, it’s tough to understand you. Where are you? In a club?”, I wanted to find out where he was. My pants were still hanging to my knees.
“We’re in Hollllyyywooood, coach! Sry, I have to end now”.
“PEEP, PEEP, PEEP”.
“Shit, fucking kid”, I said to myself.
I grabbed my trousers and ran into the lobby to Petrie.

“This kid is killing us”, I yelled with my belt still open.
“Hah?”, Geoff looked surprised to see me struggling to keep my pants over my knees.
“This fucking kid, he’s high like hell in L.A.”, I explained.
“What the fuck you’re talking about?”, he opened a new beer.
“Demarcus Cousins, he’s in L.A., he’s drunken and he won’t be with the team tomorrow, he just gave me a call!”, I said.
Geoff started choking and spilled a half of his beer on the green carpet of the lobby.
“Oh man, that’s shit. Why did he do that?, he asked me.
His shirt was full of beer.
“I don’t know, this kid is just insane”, I answered. Petrie seemed to be more busy to get the blotch out of his shirt than listening to me.
“Shit fuckin’ beer”, he cursed.
“Shit fuckin’ draft choice”, I yelled at him.
“Why did you even draft this moron?!”, I was pretty angry.
I lost my pants and stood there in draws.
“Oh yes, now it’s my fault that you cannot control your players”, Petrie took a shot at me.
“I did not draft this goddam ghetto kid and now stop drinking beer”, I responded aggressively.
“Fuck you, Hova, stop yelling at me”, he slammed his bottle of beer on the floor and it splattered into shards.

At this moment someone knocked at the door. The door opened and it was George Maloof.
It was an absurd scene: Petrie had a big blotch on his shirt and his bottle was broken on the floor, with beer being spilled all over the carpet. I did not wear any pants and we both were pretty drunk.
“What the hell going on in here?”, the owner asked.

hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Mandich on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Gay ? ahha
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby Martti. on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Oh that DeMarcus... :P I hope you don't trade him or anything. Just suck harder and get Meredith.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 am

Yeah, don't trade Cousins man. Meredith / Chase are near!
× Watching:
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: Hov's Sonics (17-30) - Big Trouble in Hollywood

Postby hova- on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:57 am

Well, we are already beyond the deadline, so a trade is definitely not nearing right now.

I made up my mind and had this idea, guys:

I will play with my old save until the end of this (2010-2011) season. Then I will start with the new save and try to trade around the draft picks so they fit to the standings of the old save.

If this works out, you will never ever notice that I play a new game. Sounds pretty good to me, I hope it will work.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Valor on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:26 am

Love the chapter where everybody is drunk as shit (Y)

The idea sounds ok, just means a lot more work for you at the end of the season :wink:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Mandich on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:50 am

Liking the idea , You'll have to work off your ass though , I really hope you can make this work hova (Y)
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 am

If you are committed to the idea then go for it man!

I also hate you!
Fresh8

Postby hova- on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:48 am

Thanks guys, I think it's the best idea. Dealing those picks won't be that difficult I think.

Oh, and Sit hates me?
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:50 am

The new sim had the Lakers at 31-30! Lucky you ain't using that piece of shit sim!
Fresh8

Re: Hov's Sonics (9-20) - What up Seattle? December's over .

Postby hova- on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:55 am

Monthly Recap: January/February Part I

Team Standings

Is Detroit tanking? John Kuester is looking for someone to lead his headless team

In this month's team standings I want to talk about a controversial topic: tanking. No one likes it, no one does it, but it still happens.
This year's major target, the Detroit Pistons. There is nothing going well in Detroit and after sending Rip Hamilton to Minnesota for basically nothing (sry, Sebastian Telfair), it looks like the team has already give up this season - or maybe - has to give up.
Joe Dumars has not been able to rebuild his team since giving up Chauncey Billups and the Pistons are looking for someone who can really help them to get out of their hopeless situation. This "someone" could be Lance Meredith. The 6-11 surefire number one pick of the upcoming draft could be a guy with the ability to turn around a team completely. When Tim Duncan entered the league, his Spurs were able to grab 34 more wins than the season before. When Shaquille O'Neal was drafted by Orlando in 1992, the Magic improved their win total from 21 to 41. So if a guy can do something like this, than it seems to be Lance Meredith.
The Pistons are at 16-48, have lost 9 out of their last 10 and already gave up 23 wins at the Palace. Looking at the names, this team cannot be so weak. It's dubious, when Joe Dumars tries to accuse the media of conspiracy like he did last week when the rumours first came up. It's more dubious when a team looses against the Pacers, Sixers and Wizards by 10+ points on average.
Mr. Dumars should keep one thing in his head: When Tim Duncan entered the league, the Boston Celtics had the best chances for the number one pick. In the 1992 draft lottery, the Minnesota Timberwolves (15-67) had even higher chances. Both did not win the number one pick and would face some tough years in the future ...

Atlantic Division: The Celtics are still leading their Division and are the 2nd best team in the East. The biggest surprise must be the Philadelphia 76ers, who were able to win six games in a row and 7 out of their last 10. After the worst record of the league last season, the Nets still hang in there at the 8th spot in the East, but the Pacers are only two games behind.

Central Division: The Bulls' weak road record (14-17) separates them from the two top teams, Boston and Miami. They even have to watch out for the surging Bucks who are only a game behind them. Indiana still has realistic Playoff chances, while the Cavs and the Pistons have written "rebuild" on them.

Southeast Division: The Heat are the best team in the league. And the only one who is already qualified for the Playoffs. Miami only lost two games at home and is an astonishing 35-6 against opponents from the East. The Magic won 8 out of their last 10 and were able to move past the Hawks. The Wizards are the 2nd worst team in the league right now.

Northwest Division: OKC keeps struggling. Since acquiring Marcus Camby, the team only won 5 out of their 14 games. At 38-24 it seems possible that the Portland Trail Blazers and the Denver Nuggets could surpass them. Home advantage would be very useful for the young Thunder team. The Jazz really feel like "what if D-Will had stayed healthy". Minnesota is already planning another trip to Lottery land, but they also have already 11 more wins than last year.

Pacific Division: The Lakers are back. Back on top of the Western Conference with a 45-19 record. The Suns and the Warriors are fighting for that 8th seed in the West, whilst Seattle and L.A. are already looking for solid pick to boost their roster in the offseason.

Southwest Division: The Dallas Mavericks are on their way to their 11th consecutive 50 win season. Houston and San Antonio complete the Texas trio, which has been to the Playoffs in nine of the last 10 years. The Hornets are battling to reach the postseason and were hoping that their acquisition of Antawn Jamison could help them - bad enough that he injured his toe and will be out for at least two weeks. No Playoff basketball in Memphis is no big news.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Individual Statistics

Is Dwight Howard another sure lock for the Defensive Player Of The Year?

Taking a look at the NBA's individual leaders once again shows the defensive ability of Dwight Howard. The 6-11, 265 lbs big man with the monster wingspan is a game changer on defense. No one wants to drive to the whole when "superman" is standing in the way. At the moment it looks like Howard will take home his third DPOT award in a row. The other two contenders for me are:

Josh Smith: 6.8 drpg/1.8 spg/1.7bpg

Gerald Wallace 8.2 drpg/2.2 spg/1.8 bpg

Take a look at the stats below.

Last edited by hova- on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby hova- on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 am

Monthly Recap: January/February Part II

Race 2 The MVP

With the Heat cruising from win to win, LeBron's chances of a threepeat have well risen lately.

Three MVPs on one team?
By Russ Welluable, NBA.com
Posted on February 28th 12:11

We’re at the end of February and things are shaping up in our beloveliest basketball league on the planet. In this month’ version of the Race, I want to talk about teams having multiple MVP candidates in their lineups.
So basically, I want to talk about the Lakers and the Heat, about Kobe & Pau and the LBJ-D-Wade-CB4-Troika.
The major question for me is: “Should it be to the players’ disadvantage, that they have one or two All-Stars on their side?”
Honestly, I think that it should. You look at Kobe Bryant and his stellar play this season, the Lakers leading the West just once again. Bryant is maybe the number one contributor for them, but their roster is just too balanced and too good to give him the only credit. Pau Gasol is having another monster season (read below) and how about three All-Star calibre players in Lamar Odom (10.6 ppg/6.7 rpg)) and Ron Artest (10.4 ppg/2.1spg) and Andrew Bynum (15.2ppg/8.3rpg).
Those are top notch players who defer to role & key players just for the sake of the Laker success.

In Miami, I find things a little different. I have all of the Thrice in my Race, but for me, it’s once again the King himself, LeBron James, who is the definite MVP of this team.
I’m leaning more on the past than the presence with this one though.
Dwyane Wade is having a wonderful all-around season. Coming back from surgery required on his shooting hand, Wade is back at 100%.
But is he really the MVP of this team? He could not lift an average Heat team to great success in recent times and although he is playing as good as always, I can’t see him as the key for the Heat’s league-best record.

How about Chris Bosh? CB4 is playing very very well. He’s among the league’s three best Power Forwards if you ask me. Superb stats and a 54 points performance earlier this season say it all. But isn’t Bosh the guy profiting from Wade and James? Post players who do not have a body like Shaq or Dwight Howard normally don’t help to create much space for their swingmen. It’s the other way around. And it is so in this case. “Flash” and the “King” create mismatches, drive to the whole and give it up to Bosh, who is shooting a career-high .520% from the field. Further, Bosh has never managed to lift an average team further than round one of the Playoffs. Can he be the MVP on this team? No.

So my vote goes to …… the King! LeBron James has shown it before. Guys forget, that his Cavs were never a really good team. Mo Williams, Larry Hughes or an old Shaq … these teams were no better than the Heat or the Raptors at this time.
Still, the King’s playing style is just perfect to lead a team. He can score at will, he has the height and courtvision to be a playmaker, he grabs boards and he defends. Bron’s numbers are almost as good as last year when he won the MVP, and that despite having two big time All-Stars on his team. So if you ask me, Mr. James is still an top tier MVP candidate, despite his great supporters.

If Kevin Durant and the Thunder pile up losses just like they did lately, LeBron will take home his third trophy. Quote me in June, guys!

Close, but no cigar: Monta Ellis, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Manu Ginobili
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Houndy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:59 am

Wow, Detroit is a fail
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:01 am

R2MVP is back :) I love it man!
Fresh8

Re: Hov's Sonics (17-30) - Officially back - February I + II

Postby Mandich on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 am

Wow, Detroit is a fail

They really are . . (N)
Mandich
Muffin Button

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:06 am

Sucks to see the Pistons like that (N) And KD is bitching everyone.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Lamrock on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 am

I love the R2MVP feature. I'd put Dirk at #1 though.
Lamrock

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame