Andrew's Chicago Bulls Dynasty (NBA Live 2004)

A collection of memorable Dynasty and Franchise threads.

Andrew's Chicago Bulls Dynasty (NBA Live 2004)

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:09 am

Well, I haven't quite decided which team I'll use this year, so I went for a creative thread title. :wink:

I'm thinking of taking Chicago for the first time since the breakup of the championship team. Though I remain a loyal fan of the real Chicago Bulls, I've used other teams in recent years. But with the return of Scottie Pippen, the Bulls are once again an appealing option in Live.

Rose is probably as good as gone, Pip will be my main man, unless I decide to spice up my Dynasty by having MJ make a comeback. If I do that, he'll have lowered ratings but he'll still be the first option. On the other hand, I might let MJ ride off into the sunset and play with more realistic rosters (though I'll probably make a few moves).

Now, all I need is the game...
Last edited by Andrew on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby thaKEAF on Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:16 am

The Bulls are pretty good in the game, they're rated a 82 or 83 overall.

When do you plan on getting the game?
thaKEAF

Postby Swoosh on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:52 am

Im also seriously considering takin' the bulls as my first franchise team, i luv the fact Pip is back and he will be me veteran leader(it could be cool to have an MJ comeback but it just aint my cup of tea), i'd trade rose too i think, also fizer/marshall, cuz chicago is kinda loaded on the PF spot and trade them for a solid backup C and some flashy young guy, i could trade for Bron and make him the next MJ but it would really be followin the hype and that's not my thingy :P , maybe trading for larry hughes would be a good idea and make him an all star, i'm still poundering about that, but one thing is for sure, i will try to make e-rob sixth man of the year :wink:
Swoosh

Postby mdiamond on Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:55 am

I've already started my 2 dynastys. I'm running a 28 game season with Dallas as my "fun" franchise. But the on I really comcentrate on is with the Pacers. I've pretty much left the roster how it was (except signing Kenny Anderson) But I created myself to backup Reggie Miller at the 2-guard. I haven't decided if I'll replace Reg in the lineup when he retires or just start Al Harrington. I'll just decide that when I get to it.
mdiamond

Postby thaKEAF on Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:34 am

I just played with the Bulls and they're good, I like Hinrich. :D
thaKEAF

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:02 pm

I'll probably be getting the console version the first week of November (hopefully it will be available here by then), but I'll be getting the PC version around the same time as the North American release. I won't start a Dynasty on the PC straight away though, since I'll take some time to post my impressions and perhaps get an early roster update out there. :wink:
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Nick on Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:27 pm

I'm thinking of using Milwaukee, Utah or Denver because these are teams i never use.

but the thought of making Redd an all star, TJ Ford a solid PG and desmond mason making the highlight reel...i'm almost sure i'll use them.

KG-Spree-kandi is pretty appealing, but i don't like the sound of Cassell running the point. Even though i could just trade him. but i like to keep the rosters the same, and rebiuld with the team's players.

Hey...maybe i could be Minny and trade Wally and Sammy, for Redd TJ and a first rounder. :o

I should stop thinking about this untill i actually get the game. :lol:
Nick
I'm so adjective, i verb nouns.
Contributor

Postby cocobee on Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:33 am

Hmmm--the T-Wolves sound interesting. I like the Heat though--hmm--I'm still undecided. The cavs would be a good--but so would the Knicks. the lakers are too easy.
cocobee
America's Team

Postby Nick on Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:50 pm

Oh yeah, the Heat! They're the kind of team i'm looking for. The reason why i wanted to play with TJ is because i want to play with a rookie that was picked between 4 and 15. The heat would be good because of Wade, and Eddie Jones, Caron, Lamar... i'd probably trade Eddie Jones for a PF or C vet though, like Malone or something.
Or maybe i could play through the year, win my bench player (probably Caron) the 6th man award, then trade Eddie for the top Rookie PF or C. and start Caron...

Shit i'm doing it again. :lol:
Nick
Contributor

Postby Sit on Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:09 pm

Yo! when some1 said something bout trading for Bron (to Bulls) ...isn't there a rule where retired Jersey Numbers can't be used or somethin??? Like MJ's jersey is retired...so does that mean Bron can't use 23?

and if so...does Live 04 have something that prevents this? (Bron wearing 23 in Chicago?)
Sit
Mamba | Superman | Spaniard | MWP | Nashty

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:13 pm

Yes, in real life players cannot wear jersey numbers that have been retired (though I think special provisions have been made in the past). Can't answer in regards to NBA Live 2004 though.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Power And Proud on Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:09 am

Exactly, when Karl Malone signed with the Lakers, Magic Johnson agreed to let him wear #32, and he even handed Malone a 'Malone #32 jersey', but Karl declined to wear the number and went with his olympic number, #11.
Power And Proud

Postby CHHAMP on Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:04 pm

Andrew, you don't have to wait for the game to be released, its on the internet for free!
CHHAMP

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:33 pm

A glance at the rules is in order. :wink:
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:21 pm

I've started my Dynasty, and I have returned to the Windy City for the first time since the championship team broke up. So far, I haven't made any deals, but as I updated the rosters and thus don't have a backup point guard on the active roster (both Williams and Hinrich are on the IR), I'm considering signing Tim Hardaway.

I'm 1-2 thus far, 12 minute quarters, simulation sliders (with altered fatigue and game speed), All-Star difficulty. The games:

Washington 101, Chicago 99

Scottie Pippen had a chance to win it with a 10 foot jumper in the lane, but it bounced off the back of the rim. I basically lost the game early in the 4th when I blew a slim lead and got a little lazy on D.

Atlanta 109, Chicago 103

Similar situation to the first game. I had a small lead in the 4th, but a couple of bad plays gave Atlanta momentum and they pulled ahead. By the time I'd settled down, it was too late. I didn't defend Reef very well, and I shot poorly from the free throw line. Two things to keep in mind next time I play them.

Chicago 111, Milwaukee 106

Tim Thomas was on fire, scoring 31 points and shooting above 70% from the field. Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about that, but I gave him too many open jumpshots. It was close up until the final 45 seconds, when I managed to shut them down and they were forced to put me on the line a couple of times.

Pippen is my leading scorer so far, he's played pretty well in all three games. Rose was disappointing against the Wizards, but he played well in the last two games (though he seems to miss a lot of dunks). The next game is against Houston, in Chicago.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Mark. on Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:48 pm

Sounds awesome
so you havent changed the sliders much??
You should post some stats too,
If you need a back up guard sign Kirk Penny for a little Kiwi magic!!!
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:15 pm

I haven't made too many changes to the sliders. I might play a few exhibition games and tweak them a little more.

Loss to the Rockets (about 120-109)

A few terrible defensive plays cost me this one, as I again blew a lead late in the game. I wasn't running my offense particularly well, and none of my big men could shut down Yao in the fourth quarter. With about 3 and half minutes left, I took all of my starters out and let some of the seldom used reserves play a bit.

Chicago 111, Orlando 93

My best defensive game so far, as I managed to hold T-Mac to 19 points in 39 minutes (8/19 FG, including 2/5 from downtown). Curry had a double-double, and I managed to hold Orlando to 13 points in the second quarter.

I'm now 2-3, same as the real Bulls (though that wasn't intentional :wink:). I'm also up to date with the real NBA, though I'll probably be ahead after the weekend. I probably won't get a chance to play tomorrow, so no games until Saturday.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Boyk on Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:56 pm

sounds great andrew.
and the scores look nice with 12 minute quarters :)

now i see that ya still getting 110+ when ya win, is it coz u are a run n gun type of playr or the game still is a lil easy to score?
Thanks to TEH G.O.A.T for Sig
Formerly known as Laddas
Watch out for Kobe,Melo n the Lakers!
Boyk

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:32 pm

Possibly the difficulty, though further tweaking of the sliders might also lower the scores a little. I'm averaging around 107 ppg, which isn't too bad - there are CPU teams averaging more than that in my Dynasty.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Seonadancing on Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:29 am

I'm playing the Bulls too. I'm currently at 17-0 (almost got beat by the Kings on a 2 OT game, Chandler was injured).
all-star level
default settings (except for fatigue=45)
7 minute quarters

I have Chandler leading my team in points 21.0, blocks 4.1 and rebounds 6.2, he is currently an MVP candidate. :)

Kirk Hinrich is a pretty good back up pg.
Seonadancing

Postby Ruff Ryder on Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:00 am

Andrew, are you going to restart this franchise after the pc version comes out?

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:50 pm

I might restart this one, or I might start an entirely different one. I'll definitely be playing plenty of games on the PC once I get that version. :wink:
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Ruff Ryder on Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:14 pm

Any transactions yet, or anyone on your mental trading block?

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:31 pm

Still thinking about signing Tim Hardaway. I was considering moving Rose, but he's been playing better since the first couple of games.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:56 pm

Played a couple more games.

Chicago 116, Philadelphia 111

I had an unbelievable start, and was leading 36-13 at the end of the first. I had so much confidence in my lead, I had my starting five sit for the entire second quarter, and finished the half leading 52-40. The Sixers mounted a huge rally in the third though, as they shot 88% from the field thanks to subpar interior defense on my part.

(I must pause to mention how great the commentary is. Marv and Mike referenced the big lead, the way I jumped out to an early start, and the resulting comeback of the Sixers. A huge improvement over 2003. (Y))

The Sixers actually took the lead briefly during the fourth, but I managed to pull ahead in the final two minutes and hold on to win it 116-111.

New Orleans 92, Chicago 87

Another good defensive game, but in places my defense wasn't good enough, specifically as we battled midway through the fourth. At times I had a double digit lead, but only Rose was effective on offense in the second half, finishing with 37 points. However, with the Hornets leading 88-87 with less tha 2 minutes left, he failed to score in consecutive trips down the floor.

The Hornets then scored making it 90-87, and after another failed attempt at evening the score I had to foul Baron Davis. He made both, sealing a 92-87 victory for the Hornets. Still, I couldn't complain. It's nice to have these close games where strategy actually comes into play, and you can actually play defense.

So I'm 3-4 now, but it's very early in the season so I'm not worried. I haven't made any transactions yet, but if I keep on hovering around .500, I might look to make some changes. Right now, I like my roster and can attribute the four losses to adjusting to the game and failing to execute on key plays.

Fact of the Day:

Scottie Pippen missed his first free throw of the season against Philadelphia. I think he made about 18 or 19 in a row before his first miss. He's now 29/32 for the season.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Boyk on Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:17 am

andrew. does the cpu foul in the last 30secs or so in a close game???
coz that was a very annoying bug in 2003
Formerly known as Laddas
Boyk

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:30 am

The end of game AI has been greatly improved. The CPU no longer just jacks up threes from three feet behind the arc (making most of them), and they will aggressively double team and foul in the final minute of a close game.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:59 pm

Chicago 102, Denver 98

Andre Miller had a pretty good game with 22 points, 9 rebounds and about 7 assists, and Melo chipped in with 20 points and 5 assists, but Rose scored 33. Denver held the lead just once, 78-77 with about 8 minutes left in the fourth. They cut into a ten point lead and had a chance to tie in the final minute. They were forced to put me on the line a few times, and I managed to seal the victory.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby chipper on Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:42 pm

Andrew wrote:The end of game AI has been greatly improved. The CPU no longer just jacks up threes from three feet behind the arc (making most of them), and they will aggressively double team and foul in the final minute of a close game.

Wow great news!

Andrew, can you also post standings and some league leader stats, say, every 2 weeks?
chipper

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:33 pm

Sure. (Y)
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby kp4life on Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:24 am

so andrew do u agree with those people who say that the graphic in 2004 in worse than 2003? or the same?
kp4life

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:55 am

For the most part, they're the same or better. Some cyberfaces are better than others, but the game looks much better than many of the early screenshots. I have no complaints about the graphics.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Pirate on Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:12 pm

Andrew these reports are great...
I can't beleive how realistic the scores are one game 100 some 87 points. It's great. Thanks
Pirate

Postby Se7en>>Dimension on Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:21 pm

I have to tweak with sliders more. :( I score 120+ every game.
Se7en>>Dimension

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:18 pm

Pirate wrote:Andrew these reports are great...
I can't beleive how realistic the scores are one game 100 some 87 points. It's great. Thanks

My style of play probably has a lot to do with it. If I chose to run and gun, I'd probably get much higher scores. However, I don't have to force the game to play realistically. I could always get realistic scores in previous Lives (except Live 2003) on 12 minute quarters, but I had to force the game to do so.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Power And Proud on Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:25 pm

I may have to turn down my sliders and the CPU sliders. I've got them down in the high 30's, and both the CPU and me are still scoring 120+
Power And Proud

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:00 pm

Played a couple more games.

Chicago 99, Boston 96

Another one that was close to the finish. Boston was forced to put me on the line where I sealed the victory.

Chicago 93, Minnesota 86

For the first time in a while, I didn't get off to a great start while Minnesota did. They led 21-19 at the end of the first, and held on to the lead through halftime (46-42) up until the end of the third (66-63). About midway through the fourth I took the lead, it switched hands a couple of times but I took the lead for good with about 3 minutes left. The final margin is larger as they put me on the line a few times in the final minute. With 20 seconds left, I didn't want to draw the game out so I just passed the ball around to run out the clock.

I'm now 6-4. I think I'll move up to Superstar difficulty, but I'll play a couple of exhibition games first to see if I need to make any tweaks to keep it realistic. The way I play usually results in realistic scores anyway, but the sliders will ensure I don't have to try too hard to keep the results and stats realistic. :wink:
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Boyk on Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:38 am

Seasons Stats my friend??

im interested in how Curry and Chandler are doing :)
Formerly known as Laddas
Boyk

Postby Mark. on Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:42 pm

Hey Andrew it would be really great if you could post your slider settings.

Oh yeah have you got the PC version yet because i just got mail saying mine has been sent to me today, and if its arrived in NZ it must have arrived in Australia.

Ohhhh i cant wait!!

btw you doin pretty good to be sitting on 6-4 with the bulls, hows pippen going??
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:57 pm

I haven't got the PC version yet - hopefully I'll have it soon.

Pippen's averaging about 21 ppg, 4 rpg and 5 apg. He's also bailed me out a few times when no one else could buy a basket.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby CHHAMP on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:28 pm

Andrew, can you tell me your game speed and fatigue thx?
CHHAMP

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:37 pm

Game Speed: 50
Fatigue: 50

Additionally...

User Sub: 0 (I never use auto subs)
CPU Sub: 50
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby CHHAMP on Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:42 pm

Andrew wrote:Game Speed: 50
Fatigue: 50

Additionally...

User Sub: 0 (I never use auto subs)
CPU Sub: 50

Cool, all those are the same as my own settings. Except I'm playing on superstar level, but I think the main difference in my higher scores (130-140) could be attributed to a run-and-gun style as you mentioned earlier.
CHHAMP

Postby trey1343 on Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:13 pm

Seonadancing wrote:I have Chandler leading my team in points 21.0, blocks 4.1 and rebounds 6.2, he is currently an MVP candidate. :)

so chandler somehow got .7th of a block? and .4th of a rebound??

if you're going to make up stats, have them make sense

(basing on the fact you said you were 17-0)

of course I could be a complete fool if he's getting some remainder # past the .1...like 4.1576482 (made up number) or he has been injured for 7 games, playing only 10
trey1343

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:07 pm

Played three more games.

Chicago 120, Seattle 115

I shouldn't have won this one, but Seattle went cold in the fourth and some of my guys who had struggled through the first three quarters finally made some shots. Ray Allen proved difficult to defend - first he managed to score on a couple of penetrations, then he hit some long jumpers in Rose's face. Crawford was the top performer in the game though, with 32 points, 6 rebounds and 8 assists. He also had not one, but two four point plays.

Phoenix 106, Chicago 105

The Suns ended my winning streak at four, in a game I probably shouldn't have lost. Marion and Marbury were both on fire, so I had to use double teams sparingly so as not to leave one of them open. As we battled back and forth in the final period, the Suns gained the upper hand and with 16 seconds left, held a 104-102 lead. I had little choice but to foul, hoping Marbury would hit one of two. He made them both, so I had one option - a four point play.

Crawford made two four point plays against Seattle, so he was the natural choice. I failed to draw the contact from Marbury, but still made the three to make it a 106-105 loss. I kind of wish I'd missed it. :wink:

Chicago 138, Los Angeles Lakers 127

As you can probably guess, defense was an afterthought in this game. :wink: Expecting to be crushed by the Lakers' four stars, I tried to get everyone involved early, and it worked. I jumped out to an early 17-5 lead, causing cyber-Phil to call a timeout. I finished the first quarter leading 40-28, and never looked back. Since I was heading for a high scoring affair anyway, I left Rose, Crawford and Pippen in the game and tried to achieve some of the tasks to earn some extra points. Rose scored 45, Crawford had 27 and Pippen added 22.

The road trip continues in Sacramento, then Dallas and San Antonio (or possibly San Antonio then Dallas). Even with the win over LA (they're only 7-6), I'm not taking anything for granted.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby trsba on Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:58 pm

Yep I enjoy reading your dynasty Andrew... It just appears though that your scoring has become pretty migh as of late... More running & gunning?
trsba

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:22 pm

I have been playing a little more up-tempo as of late. I've also been a bit lazy on defense, so I've been drawn into shootouts to win the game.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:42 pm

Dallas 134, Chicago 112

I failed to slow the tempo of the game, which worked in the Mavs' favour. Steve Nash had a 20-20 game, tallying 29 points and 20 assists. Antawn Jamison scored around 40, and I lost Eddy Curry to injury. To be honest, I was kind of hoping he'd be out for more than the Dallas game, as I've yet to have anyone miss more than a quarter, a few minutes or the remainder of a game due to injury.

Since I wasn't really focused enough to make the comeback, I let my bench play the final quarter. Needless to say, Dallas took advantage and a large lead became a larger lead. Still, I got to see how some of my seldom used reserves play given the opportunity.

Chicago 119, San Antonio 116

I'm still playing these up-tempo games. I think it's my defense. I've been switching a lot on D whereas I used to control my big men. My opponents have been getting too many easy points and then I've had to make a huge run to take back the lead. The result? These high scores. I should probably make further changes to the sliders, too.

Anyway, San Antonio jumped out to the early lead, and were in control 26-20 at the end of the first. The second quarter was much of the same, though I managed to outscore them by a point to cut it to a 58-53 deficit at the half. Duncan only scored 9 points in the first half, but he proved to be a thorn in my side as I battled them to an 85-85 tie with one quarter left to play.

The Spurs scored the first four points of the final period, but as usual the game turned into a dogfight. I managed to pull ahead in the final seconds as they were forced to foul. They made a costly error though. The score was 119-116 with about 7.5 seconds left, and San Antonio had possession. Rather than calling timeout, they rushed the ball up the floor and DerMarr Johnson (I believe they signed him a few days into the season) jacked up a trey from about three feet behind the arc. It missed, I grabbed the defensive board and time expired.

Notes:

I've been exploring trade possibilities including draft picks. Some of my players are attracting quite a lot of interest. I've been looking at some of the teams at the bottom of the league. Milwaukee (whom I play next as it happens) is quite interested in Jay Williams, and are interested in deals involving picks. As they're currently 1-13, I expect them to stay at the bottom of the league for the season and consequently get no lower than the fourth pick. That's an appealing option, especially if Pip retires.

Milwaukee are also under the cap, which makes them an attractive trading partner.

Hinrich has been playing better as I've increased his court time, so I won't be signing Tim Hardaway. I've tried playing Crawford at shooting guard with Hinrich at the point for short periods of time, and it seems to be fairly effective.

Curry and Chandler both play well in spurts, but neither of them are averaging double figures in rebounds. Curry had 13 boards against the Spurs; hopefully he'll continue to come up with rebounds and prevent some of those second chances my opponents have been getting.

After 16 games, my record stands at 10-6. My starting five of Curry, Chandler, Pippen, Rose and Crawford have each played and started all 16 games thus far. I don't think I'll be making any changes unless I need to shake things up a little, or one of them falls victim to injury.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Nick on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:11 pm

Try sending Rose to Milwaukee for Michael Redd and a 1st round pick. :?:
Nick
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:21 pm

Rose is my top scorer though. I'd rather trade Jay Will or someone else who's a little more expendable.
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Next

Return to Dynasty & Franchise Hall of Fame