OKC - Five-peat! Final summary

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Re: Thunder - [20-4] - Rookies star against Warriors

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Yep, back in sync. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Yeah, things are working well at the moment.

I've been downloading my highlight videos and so far I've got all of the season 1 videos, 158 in total. It's nice going back through them and seeing former players. There's some nice highlights in there too.

One idea I had was making a compilation of all of the game winning/game tying shots over the seasons. Or maybe one with all the buzzer-beaters I've managed. :D
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:44 am

15/12/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [20-4] vs Los Angeles Lakers [15-10]

Bryant seals dramatic last second win for Lakers

OKC - 27 29 27 28 111
LAL - 29 35 24 25 113

Player of the Game: Brandon jennings

Video Highlights
Rose is there to clean up after Griffin gets blocked.

T-mac comes up with a fancy dunk.

Rose sinks a step-back three to cut the Lakers' lead late in the game.

Kobe does what he does best.

-----
Looking back I'm pretty embarrassed by my defending of that last play. I actually missed a shot with Durant in the play before this too. :(
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [20-5] - The Black Mamba strikes again

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 pm

That's a tough way to lose, but that's some decent end-game AI shown by NBA Live 10.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm so used to the PG getting the inbound pass and shooting that it didn't occur to me that Kobe would get the ball. Hence the sloppy defending.

I can't complain about close finishes though. I need them to keep the excitement up during an 82 game season. :fruity:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby qfrmcpt310 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:22 pm

And the Black Mamba shows why he is the best closer yet again! Tough loss though lol
qfrmcpt310

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Phil89 wrote:I'm so used to the PG getting the inbound pass and shooting that it didn't occur to me that Kobe would get the ball. Hence the sloppy defending.

I can't complain about close finishes though. I need them to keep the excitement up during an 82 game season. :fruity:

Losses are easier to swallow when it comes through smart execution by the CPU and someone who is actually clutch in real life comes through. It's when someone like Chris Duhon dominates in a CPU victory that you feel a little cheated. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:02 pm

17/12/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [20-5] vs Phoenix Suns [11-14]

Thunder too good for Suns despite slow start

OKC - 20 38 29 36 123
PHX - 31 29 27 28 115

Player of the Game: Aaron Brooks

Video Highlights
Durant hits a three over Gortat.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [21-5] - Brooks scores 45 for Suns

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:54 pm

20/12/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [21-5] vs Portland Trail Blazers [14-11]

Thunder maintain unbeaten road record despite Roy's big night

OKC - 27 21 31 32 111
POR - 28 16 22 34 100

Player of the Game: Brandon Roy

Video Highlights
T-mac nails an open three.

Rose starts the second quarter fired up.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [22-5] - Roy has night out in Portland

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Good wins, nice comeback against the Suns after the rocky start. Seems like the starting five are really in sync.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:44 pm

I think that Rose dunk is one of my favourite highlights so far, right up with this Kevin Love block from last season. (Y)

My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Both very cool. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:18 pm

22/12/12

Blazers and Spurs complete Jefferson trade

Portland and San Antonio have today agreed a deal which sees veteran forward Richard Jefferson and shooting big man Matt Bonner join the Blazers.
In return the Spurs get veteran combo guard Delonte West and young guard Elliot Williams. West will provide much needed cover for the injured George Hill.

The Blazers were left scrambling during the off-season when Chris Paul decided to leave via free agency. They swiftly offered West big money to stay.
Shortly after they did a trade with Detroit for guard Will Bynum, which involved them giving up Greg Oden, but it gave them two solid point guards.
There seemed to be some disagreement between Blazers coach Nate McMillan and the teams front office as to who should fill the void left by Chris Paul.
Most experts around the league were in agreement that Bynum should take over the starting point guard role, but McMillan has favoured Delonte West.
With West now gone though Bynum can assume the role. Steve Nash, who was also signed this season, will surely get more minutes as a result too.

Losing both Chris Paul and Gerald Wallace in one off-season was hard to deal with, but Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge have led their team well.
Jefferson will give the Blazers some much needed cover for the likes of Roy and Batum. They only had Chase Budinger in reserve before today.
Bonner adds some height to their bench, but also an outside shooting option. He could well be used as an impact player with his three point ability.

San Antonio get much needed cover for George Hill in this deal. Currently Hill is out with a bone spur in his ankle and DeMarcus Nelson is filling in.
The Spurs are struggling so far this season despite boasting a talented roster. They currently sit a disappointing second from bottom in the west.
After trading Tony Parker to Atlanta for Josh Smith and DeJuan Blair to the Thunder to get George Hill back, they thought their squad was good enough.
But Hill has had a few niggling injuries this season and has missed multiple games. And Nelson isn't exactly showing starting point guard quality.
Now they have West, who will hopefully provide a good scoring option off the bench, the Spurs will push on for a much coveted playoff berth.

Image Image

Portland receive
Richard Jefferson - 32 - SF - $11.05m - 1 year (76)
Matt Bonner - 32 - PF - $3.50m - 1 year (65)

Projected line-up:
LaMarcus Aldridge - Emeka Okafor - Nicolas Batum - Brandon Roy - Will Bynum
Bench options:
Chase Budinger, Richard Jefferson, Steve Nash, Roger Mason, Matt Bonner, Josh Boone

Image Image

San Antonio receive
Delonte West - 29 - PG - $20.90m - 2 years (79)
Elliot Williams - 23 - SG - $3.21m - 2 years (64)

Projected line-up:
Al Horford - Michael Beasley - Josh Smith - Cameron Hunter - George Hill
Bench options:
Tayshaun Prince, JJ Hickson, DeMarcus Nelson, Delonte West, Elliot Williams
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [22-5] - Blazers acquire Jefferson

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Not a bad move on either side. If nothing else, the Blazers get a couple of expiring contracts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Thunder - [22-5] - Blazers acquire Jefferson

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 pm

22/12/12

Thunder announce Sonics tribute during upcoming Texas road trip

Oklahoma City will wear throw-back jerseys during their upcoming Texas road trip in honour of the 1979 NBA Champion Sonics, they announced today.
The idea was voted for by Thunder fans as part of an online competition aimed at spreading festive cheer. A goodwill gesture towards Sonics fans.
Sportingly the Mavericks, Rockets and Spurs have all happily agreed to the proposal and will also wear their respective retro inspired jerseys.
The Thunder are no strangers to wearing Sonics jerseys though. Over the past few seasons they have worn them on NBA approved 'retro' nights.
But this will be the first time that they have worn them on their own initiative. NBA commissioner David Stern said it was an interesting idea.
The road trip will begin in Dallas against the Mavericks. Ironically the very same team that the Sonics played in their last NBA game in Seattle.

Schedule
23/12/12 - @ Dallas
28/12/12 - @ Houston
30/12/12 - @ San Antonio

-----

Not happy: Gary Payton played 13 seasons in Seattle.

Not everyone was convinced that this tribute was a good idea. Outspoken Sonics legend Gary Payton reacted angrily to the announcement.
"They really don't have the right to wear those jerseys", he said. "I really don't know what the point of this is apart from upsetting Sonics fans."
"We didn’t play in Oklahoma City. In a way it's pretty disrespectful to Seattle fans to see them doing this. It is a privilege that they shouldn't have."
He did admit though that having a team on national TV wearing the green of Seattle could have a positive effect on his efforts to reform the Sonics.
"I suppose a silver lining here is that having Sonics jerseys involved in a televised game could raise awareness of our campaign to get a team back."
"Maybe people will have some nostalgic feelings when they see those jerseys running round again. I guess any publicity we can get is helpful."

The 9-time all-star admitted it was difficult seeing this Thunder team be so successful. "Of course it's hard. Those should have been Sonics' titles."
"Obviously things would have happened differently if the team was still in Seattle. But we had Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka in our last season."

-----

Superstar: Kevin Durant played his rookie season in Seattle.

Thunder superstar Kevin Durant said he understands why Seattle fans might be upset, but thinks that it's a well intended tribute.
"People may have a problem with it, but at the end of the day we're doing this out of respect for those guys that made a lot of people happy."
The 2009-10 league MVP played his rookie season in Seattle. His solid play, averaging 20 ppg, earned him the rookie of the year award.
In the four years since the move to Oklahoma City, Durant has won three championships, being named Finals MVP in two of those.
He was the scoring champion in 2009-10 and twice named defensive player of the year. He's also been All-Star MVP in the last two years.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [22-5] - Thunder announce 'retro' Texas road t

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Nice bit of flavour for the upcoming games. The Glove's reaction is quite true to life.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:13 pm

I figured I couldn't have a Sonics related storyline without Payton having something to say about it. :wink:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:34 pm

23/12/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [22-5] vs Dallas Mavericks [10-18]

Huge third quarter sets up win in first game of Texas triple-header

OKC - 26 20 43 26 115
DAL - 28 25 27 24 104

Player of the Game: Kevin Durant

Video Highlights
A perfect start as Durant dunks within seconds of the tip-off.

Harden misses the shot but Lopez gives him another chance.

Maynor makes a half-court shot on the buzzer.

Griffin makes a rare three.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [23-5] - Game 1 of Texas road trip

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:46 pm

The third quarter run aside, looks like it was a pretty evenly matched game. Good win.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 pm

I was slightly concerned at half time, but my second halves seem to be better than my first halves generally. Which was the case again.

Would've posted the next two games by now but I decided that I'd write an article first. Now I just have to write it. It's too hot to think though. :doh:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 pm

24/12/12

Nike announce new deals for Thunder stars days after Rose's new Adidas deal

Christmas has come early this year for Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose and Blake Griffin. The Thunder stars all signed new shoe contracts this week.
Rose signed with Adidas for another 8 years, earning himself a cool $120m. Griffin also received a healthy pay rise, signing an 8 year/$80m deal with Nike.
Durant was the real winner though. He signed an extension to his current deal which see him receive a staggering $20m per year for the next ten years.

Given Durant's, and more recently Griffin's, role in the Thunder's success in recent seasons, they were due a big reward for helping promote Nike.
Not that Nike needed any help. They dominate the shoe market in the NBA. They've also got Kobe, LeBron, CP3 and D-Wade wearing their shoes.
It's pretty reasonable to think that they must be hoping that the Heat and Thunder meet up again in the NBA finals for the fourth straight season.
Having Durant and Griffin facing off against LeBron and Wade really does wonders for their sales. The rivalry just keeps growing each year.

The timing of Nike's announcement is interesting for two reasons; 1.) Adidas signed Rose just days ago, and 2.) it comes the day before Christmas.
Though according to Durant's agent Aaron Goodwin, talks had been ongoing with Nike representatives over the course of the past several weeks.
"The timing does seem a little coincidental, but in reality we've been working on this deal for a while," he said during a press conference.
Durant has a history dating to back to the eighth grade with Nike. He never for a moment considered even talking to any other brands.
"At the end of the day, Kevin has been with Nike his whole career and he felt comfortable with them and was glad to continue the relationship."

Durant has become a marketing monster. His enthusiasm for the game and humbleness endear him to fans and he has some decent skills too.
He has built one of the strongest and most respected brands in sports without even intending to do so. He's let his game speak for him.
When asked if he wanted to be recognised as the best player in the league in a recent interview with NBA.com, this was his response:
"To be honest with you, I really don't care. It would be cool for most people to know who the Oklahoma City Thunder are. That's what I'm about."

His humbleness off the court has contrasted greatly with one of his biggest rivals on the court, LeBron 'taking my talents to South Beach' James.
The two are undoubtedly both top 5 players in the league today, but fans seem to favour Durant because of his willingness to put the team first.
The next 5-10 years belong to Durant and James. It's humble vs ego-centric, greatness vs fame and, to some, it might as well be good vs evil.

Despite all of his accolades, Durant is still the first to arrive at training and last to leave according to Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks.
"His work ethic is second to none", he said. "I know it's a bit of a cliché, but he really does put the effort in every day to improve his game."
"He is great with our young guys. Rolf [Young] is always asking him for tips and Kevin always has time for him. He's a great guy above all else."

Durant still has 2 years to go on his current Thunder contract worth $37m. He will surely be in for a contract in excess of $100m next time.
He looks to be in contention to be scoring champion again this season. He's averaging an impressive 29 ppg, 5 rpg, 3.3 spg so far this year.

Rose reportedly would have made more money if he was still playing with the Bulls in Chicago, but he's probably happier competing for titles.
Some industry experts speculated earlier in the year that Adidas weren't too happy with Rose going to a market dominated by Durant and Nike.
But being part of a team that plays exciting basketball and is in the middle of a true dynasty has helped curb any potential losses in sales.
Adidas now have both of their marquee players sharing a market with a Nike-signed star, with Dwight Howard and Deron Williams in New Jersey.
According to a source, Rose is Adidas' only counter to Kobe Bryant in China. It's been reported that he already outsells LeBron James there.
Rose currently has 2 years left on his Thunder deal worth $27m. He's in mvp form this season, averaging roughly 20 ppg and 11 apg.

Griffin became an internet sensation during his injury-postponed rookie season with his high-flying dunks and amazing athletic feats.
But he has added much more since his move to his home-town team in Oklahoma City. He's much better at getting other people shots now.
Blake has a large viral following. It is a rare occasion these days not to see him make an appearance on EPSN’s SportsCenter Top 10 each night.
It was this immense exposure, coupled with his on-court performances that forced Nike to offer him a much improved offer this week.
His rookie shoe contract was surprisingly low when compared with recent top drafted rookies. Only $400,000 per season for the top draft pick.
Considering guys like Durant and LeBron signed deals worth tens of millions before they'd even played in the league, it was a bargain for Nike.
Griffin signed a 6 year deal this year worth about $68m. He's still playing well though, managing 19 ppg, 8 rpg, 4 apg, 2.5bpg.

Career

Drafted
#2 in 2007 by Seattle

Teams
Seattle/Oklahoma City (2007-now)

Transactions
02/07/07
Signed a 2 year $8.65 million contract with Seattle.

23/10/09
Signed a 5 year $80m extension with Oklahoma City.

Achievements
NBA Champion (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12)
NBA Most Valuable Player (2009-10)
NBA Finals MVP (2009-10, 2010-11)
NBA Scoring Champion (2010-11)
Defensive Player of the Year (2009-10, 2011-12)
All-Star MVP (2010-11, 2011-12)
All-NBA First Team (2009-10, 2011-12)
All-Defensive Team First Team (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12)
NBA All-Star (2009-10), (2010-11, 2011-12)
Rookie of the Year (2008-09)

Career

Drafted
#1 in 2008 by Chicago

Teams
Chicago (2008-2010)
Milwaukee (2010-2012)
Oklahoma City (2012-now)

Transactions
01/07/08
Signed a 2 year $10 million contract with Chicago.

14/08/11
Signed a 1 year $5.85m contract with Milwaukee.

12/08/12
Signed a 2 year $26.60m contract with Milwaukee.

01/10/12
Oklahoma City traded Russell Westbrook, Andrea Bargnani & Marvin Williams
<->
Milwaukee traded Derrick Rose, Michael Redd & Nenad Krstic

Achievements
Rookie of the Year (2008-09)
All-Rookie First Team (2008-09)

Career

Drafted
#1 in 2009 by LA Clippers

Teams
LA Clippers (2009-2011)
Oklahoma City (2012-now)

Transactions
08/07/09
Signed a 2 year $10.34 million contract with LA Clippers.

28/09/10
LA Clippers exercised $5.73 million team option for 2011-2012 season.

15/02/12
Oklahoma City traded Kevin Love, Serge Ibaka & Shannon Brown
<->
LA Clippers traded Blake Griffin, Ryan Gomes & Eric Bledsoe

12/08/12
Signed a 6 year $67.90m contract with Oklahoma City.

Achievements
NBA Champion (2011-12)
NBA Finals MVP (2011-12)
All-Rookie First Team ( 2009-10)
Last edited by Phil89 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Stories
Phil89

Re: Thunder - [23-5] - New deals for Thunder trio

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Something a little different. Nicely done. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 am

I'm always trying to add more story elements to this dynasty. I feel sometimes it's too focussed on just playing games.

Some of the numbers and achievements aren't quite true to life as well. I had to shoehorn real life ones in with what has happened on this game. Thus no MVP for Rose which meant less money from Adidas. :wink:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:51 am

He'll just have to make do with the $120 mil.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:11 pm

28/12/12

Oklahoma City Thunder [23-5] vs Houston Rockets [15-16]

Rookie Richards struggles against Thunder

OKC - 22 23 30 24 99
HOU - 24 19 22 25 90

Player of the Game: Blake Griffin

Video Highlights
Durant draws the defender then sets up Lopez for an easy finish.
My Stories
Phil89

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame