Andrew's Chicago Bulls Dynasty - November 2006

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Postby Andrew on Tue May 23, 2006 11:37 pm

Sweetney and Songaila are the highest rated players I'd be willing to part with right now, though Sweetney's playing quite well so I might just make a couple of trades after the Draft if some of the other prospects do turn out to be as good as advertised. Right now I'm looking at a small forward who looks like he might be able to play both guard spots as well making him an interesting prospect. He's got good potential as well so even though it's early I'm leaning towards him right now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Matthew on Tue May 23, 2006 11:40 pm

In madden 06 you can make trades during the draft, can you do that in live 06?

Also, whats sweetneys contract like? You might be able to make some cap room as well if you make the right deal :)
Matthew

Postby Andrew on Tue May 23, 2006 11:55 pm

Nah, no trading of picks and/or players during the draft itself, so I'll either try to snare a pick before the deadline or trade for the player(s) in the offseason.

Sweetney's contract is somewhere around $2.12 million and lasts another couple of years. I've also got Jake Voshkul and Malik Allen earning around $4 million combined, I might try to get rid of them for a late pick or cap room though their deals expire at the end of the year. Wesley Person's contract comes off the books as well so I'll have a decent amount of cap room.

Still debating whether to hex edit to give myself New York's pick though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Donatello on Fri May 26, 2006 6:55 am

Andrew wrote:Still debating whether to hex edit to give myself New York's pick though.

I say go for it. ;)

A good read as always. Malik Allen can be useful, I've seen- but Jake is a bust. Worth getting rid of the both of them, I'd say.
||[b]b]||
Donatello
Dongatello

Postby Andrew on Fri May 26, 2006 7:13 pm

I'm starting to lean towards doing it but if possible I'd like to get another first rounder more legitimately...even if getting the Knicks' pick would actually be true to life.

Definitely agree as far as Jake is concerned. He basically came over to make the Tim Thomas to Charlotte for cap space deal work since they had a full roster at the time and I hoped he might be able to fill in sometimes and at least provide some height but he hasn't been much help. He's a free agent at the season's end so it's not desperate that I get rid of him but I'll try to get something more tangible for him before then.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat May 27, 2006 2:13 pm

January 25th, 2006
Chicago (113) at Toronto (79)
Gordon scores 25 as Bulls rout Raptors

[ Boxscore ]

The Bulls opened strong scoring the first seven points of the game and never trailed as they dominated the Raptors for a 113-79 road victory. Gordon scored 11 of his 25 points in the first quarter and led six Bulls in double figures in scoring. Chris Bosh led the Raptors with 15 points and had six blocks, but managed only four rebounds. In total, the Bulls held a staggering 46-19 rebounding advantage including an 18 offensive boards to Toronto's seven.

"They just beat us up tonight," Raptors' coach Sam Mitchell commented after the game. "They jumped on us early and kept the pressure on all night. Frankly I'm surprised they only beat us by 34." Toronto would come within 20 points a few times in the second half after trailing by 21 at halftime but would not come closer than an 18 point deficit during the third and never trailed by less than 25 points in the fourth quarter.

Chicago were without Luol Deng, who is still recovering from a mild injury to his achilles tendon. Tyson Chandler stepped back into the starting lineup and had a double double with 13 points and 13 rebounds, also blocking three shots in 30 minutes. Deng is expected to be back in the lineup when the Bulls take on the Washington Wizards in two night's time but Jannero Pargo, activated before the game to take Deng's place on the roster will be heading back to the inactive list after injuring his elbow during his first minute of play in almost a month.

Notes: Chicago's 46-19 victory on the boards was a season high margin while Toronto's 19 rebounds was a season low...Darius Songaila hit the first three pointer of his NBA career during the fourth quarter. The three came from the left wing to beat the shot clock and banked in...the Bulls committed only six fouls to the Raptors' 21. They also had the advantage in assists (25-13).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Drex on Sat May 27, 2006 2:27 pm

46-19 on the boards :shock: Shawn Kemp with 8 & 8 (Y) Good win, Andrew :P
Drex
You bastards!!!

Postby Andrew on Sat May 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Thanks Drex. No such luck in the latest game though. :(

January 27th, 2006
Washington (117) at Chicago (109)
Wizards overcome foul trouble, beat Bulls in United Center

[ Boxscore ]

Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas were plagued by foul trouble and played only 21 and 25 minutes respectively. It didn't seem to matter though as Jamison scored 14 points and grabbed 5 rebounds and Arenas added 16 points and 3 assists as the Washington Wizards stole a 117-109 victory over the Chicago Bulls on the road. All five Wizards' starters scored in double figures and Jarvis Hayes added 15 points in 19 minutes off the bench and the team combined to shoot an impressive 55.6% from the field.

After Washington scored the first four points of the game the Bulls came alive and appeared to be in control of the tempo until Antawn Jamison's three pointer put the Wizards up 14-11 halfway through the first quarter. Chicago did not appear rattled however and while the Wizards would not relinquish the lead the deficit would be cut to two after a couple of three pointers by Chris Duhon to end the first period.

In the second quarter the Wizards would take control of the game and while Chicago had some success going small and running a three guard lineup with Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon and Duhon on the floor at the same time, Washington again pulled away and held an 11 point lead at the half. The Bulls attempted another run in the third but Washington seemingly had an answer for every basket matching the Bulls' firepower and extending the lead to twelve heading into the final quarter.

The Bulls managed to outscore the Wizards in the fourth but the burst would come too late. The Wizards led by as many as 21 in the quarter and though Eric Piatkowski would provide a late spark scoring 8 points in the final four minutes and brought the Bulls within eight, Washington protected the ball and sealed the game from the free throw line after the Bulls were forced to foul.

Caron Butler led the way for the Wizards scoring 18 points, dishing out 10 assists and grabbing four rebounds. Chucky Atkins also had a fine game with 12 points and 8 assists. Gordon top scored for the Bulls with 22 but was 9/22 for the game and 0/7 from downtown.

Notes: The rebounding battle ended in a tie at 37. Chicago had 18 offensive rebounds to Washington's 15. The Wizards are the top offensive rebounding team in the league...the Wizards handed out 34 assists to the Bulls' 21. The Wizards' starting five accounted for more assists than the entire Chicago team.

Current Record: 26-17
Next Opponent: Atlanta Hawks
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Moop_Moop on Sat May 27, 2006 9:54 pm

Wow. How many games in are you now?

By the way, still one of the best dynasties going (Y).
"I showed so much passion, I cared about the game so much, I didn't want to lose."
Moop_Moop

Postby Ruff Ryder on Sun May 28, 2006 3:38 am

Moop_Moop wrote:Wow. How many games in are you now?

Ploughing? I had to look that one up. Turns out its the same as plowing which I'm more acustomed to seeing.

Real balanced scoring for both of you, especially the Wizards where everyone scored except Ruffin. You were throwing up bricks from 3, 4/21 :o .

'Retired'

"You can’t drive a knife into a man’s back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it progress."-Malcolm X
Ruff Ryder

Postby hova- on Sun May 28, 2006 5:20 am

I really love your recaps, its a good read !
For the game I have to say it seems like you pretty depend on Ben putting up big numbers, I would like to see a win-loss stat with Gordon over 30 and under 30 points.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Moop_Moop on Sun May 28, 2006 5:46 am

The Black Death wrote:
Moop_Moop wrote:Wow. How many games in are you now?

Oops. Brain fart :oops: :wall:.
"I showed so much passion, I cared about the game so much, I didn't want to lose."
Moop_Moop

Postby Its_asdf on Sun May 28, 2006 7:41 am

Holy smokes, Shawn Kemp played like the Kemp of old that game. What are his current stats?
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Andrew on Sun May 28, 2006 5:21 pm

The Black Death wrote:Ploughing? I had to look that one up. Turns out its the same as plowing which I'm more acustomed to seeing.

Yep, the variant we use in Australia, like colour and centre. ;)

The Black Death wrote:Real balanced scoring for both of you, especially the Wizards where everyone scored except Ruffin. You were throwing up bricks from 3, 4/21

It's definitely a weakness of mine, has been in every game. On top of that, my controller's also gone a bit funny lately with the left stick refusing to be calibrated properly so a lot of the time I find myself moving left when I don't want to...which has led to some open jumpers turning into leaners and a couple of frustrating travelling calls.

hova- wrote:I really love your recaps, its a good read !
For the game I have to say it seems like you pretty depend on Ben putting up big numbers, I would like to see a win-loss stat with Gordon over 30 and under 30 points.

To a certain extent, he's definitely the player I go to most when we're in a jam. But more than anything I simply didn't defend the Wizards well enough and they kept out of reach. The more balanced attack with Gordon at the forefront has worked better than Gordon averaging 30+ as he was earlier in the year.

Its_adsf wrote:Holy smokes, Shawn Kemp played like the Kemp of old that game. What are his current stats?

He's averaging around 13 and 8 I believe. He's been working out great but still doesn't make things too unrealistic in my opinion, since I made sure to alter his ratings to account for his age and declining athleticism.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:26 pm

January 28th, 2006
Atlanta (87) at Chicago (96)
Bulls overcome poor start, late run to defeat Hawks

[ Boxscore ]

After the first 12 minutes, it appeared Chicago would be in for a rough night. The Hawks had begun to pull away after the game remained close for the first seven minutes and the Bulls just couldn't put the ball in the basket shooting a woeful 27.3% from the field in the quarter. But the home team were not about to wither away in front of their fans.

Though Atlanta would remain in control of the game for the first five minutes of the second quarter, Chicago began to show signs of life and finished the quarter on a 23-15 surge and tying the game at 46 on a dunk from Tyson Chandler before Joe Johnson made a layup with four seconds left in the half to put Atlanta back up by one entering halftime. A Kirk Hinrich three early in the third quarter gave Chicago a 51-50 lead and they would not trail again, leading by as many as 15 in the period.

Chicago continued to hold a double digit advantage for most of the fourth quarter. The Hawks at times cut the lead to 8 and appeared poised to make a final push but were ultimately unable to topple the Bulls, who triumphed 96-87.

Notes: Atlanta shot a franchise low 3/8 from the free throw line...Chicago had the advantage on the glass 49-43. Four players were in double digits for rebounds; Shawn Kemp (10), Andres Nocioni (11), Al Harrington (16) and Zaza Pachulia (10)...while the Bulls had a clear advantage in free throws, both struggled from downtown (4/22 for Atlanta, 4/23 for Chicago).

January 31st, 2006
Chicago (97) at Dallas (90)
Dirk scores 34 but Mavs fall 97-90

[ Boxscore ]

Chicago seemingly had no answer for Dirk Nowitzki, who scored 34 points on 17/26 shooting, but held his teammates to a combined 40% from the field as they picked up an impressive 97-90 victory against one of the league's top teams.

The Bulls once again struggled in the first quarter trailing by as many as 12 before narrowing the gap to seven by the end of the period. They would not be denied in the second quarter however, outscoring Dallas 32-21 led by Ben Gordon who had nine second quarter points and finished the half with 14. Nowitzki scored 16 first half points for the Mavericks who suddenly found themselves trailing by four.

Dallas did not seem rattled as they began the third quarter strong, evening the score and trading buckets with the Bulls throughout the period. Gordon and Nowitzki continued to duel throughout the third, each finishing with 8 points. It would be Chicago who would take a 73-68 advantage into the final quarter.

Nowitzki and the Mavs still refused to quit, taking a 77-75 lead during a furious run to begin the fourth. It didn't take long for Chicago to recover however and the lead seemed to change on every possession until the Bulls pulled ahead for good at 87-86. Gordon struggled in the fourth shooting 1/6 and scoring only two points but Chris Duhon carried the load scoring 8 of his 17 points in the final stanza.

Chandler blocked a Nowitzki layup, but the All-Star forward still finished
with 34 points on 65% shooting

January Recap

Record: 28-17
Player Stats through January

February 1st, 2006
Francis, Yao named Players of the Month

NEW YORK, NY -- The NBA announced that Steve Francis of the Orlando Magic and Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets have been named the East and West Players of the Month for January. Francis averaged 23.3 ppg, 5.8 rpg and 6.9 apg as well as 2.8 spg for the Magic, who went 7-9. Yao Ming had a fine all around month for the Rockets averaging 25.3 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 5 apg, 1.6 bpg and 1.2 spg as Houston went 9-7 despite Tracy McGrady missing five games due to injury.

February 1st, 2006
Williams and Paul top rookies in January

NEW YORK, NY -- The New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets' standout point guard Chris Paul has been named Western Conference Rookie of the Month for January. Paul averaged 19.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.3 apg and 1.9 spg as the Hornets went 5-10. Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month honours went to the Atlanta Hawks' Marvin Williams, who tallied 18.3 ppg, 9 rpg and 2.9 apg while the Hawks went 4-11.

Leaders through January

Rebounds

Assists

Steals

Blocks

Field Goals

Free Throws

Three Pointers

Minutes

Standings through January

Northwest

Southwest

Pacific

Atlantic

Central

Southeast

February 1st, 2006
Chicago (111) at New Orleans (94)
Hinrich sets assist record in blowout victory

[ Boxscore ]

The Chicago Bulls began February in style with a 111-94 road victory over the New Orleans Hornets thanks to a spectacular performance by Kirk Hinrich. The fourth year guard set a new record for assists in a single game with 31, one assist higher than the mark set by his former coach Scott Skiles. Hinrich also contributed 10 points, 5 rebounds and 2 steals while containing Chris Paul, January's Western Conference Rookie of the Month.

"It was incredible," Ben Gordon said of his teammate. "He seemed to find everyone in the right spot every time. It felt like every time he made the pass, we made the shot. Incredible." Gordon finished with 17 points in one of the few games he has not led the team in scoring this season. Andres Nocioni led all scorers with 20 points in addition to grabbing 9 rebounds. Seven Bulls scored in double digits and the whole team combined to shoot 54.4% from the field.

Chicago scored the first six points of the game before the Hornets made a small run to even the score at 10. It would be the closest the Hornets would come the rest of the way however as the Bulls scored the next four points and finished the quarter with a six point lead. The Bulls pulled further ahead in the second quarter before blowing the game wide open in the third. Chicago's defense was extremely stingy allowing New Orleans only one point through the first eight minutes of play.

New Orleans would never challenge the lead again but managed to reduce the deficit late in the quarter as JR Smith threw down a huge dunk on Hinrich and freed himself up for a long two and a three pointer on consecutive possessions. Hinrich registered his 31st assist with just over two minutes remaining on a layup by Darius Songaila before the two teams went basket for basket the rest of the way.

Notes: The Bulls totalled 36 assists, twice as many as New Orleans...Tyson Chandler had all five of Chicago's blocks...Eric Piatkowski was the only Bulls player not to make a field goal. He was scoreless in the contest...every Hornets player scored at least two points.

Image Image
Chandler was once again impressive in the paint

Current Record: 29-17
Next Opponent: Phoenix Suns (25-21)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 pm

Sweet wins, big team efforts, like in the first game no one above 20.

And Kirk Hinrich sets a new record ... incredible !
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Mark. on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:05 pm

Awesome record with Hinrich.

I have to commend you on how realistic your stats have got, i'm always looking forward to seeing a nicely filled boxscore :D
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby rongotai on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:10 pm

HINRICH :shock:

Nocioni is coming along very nicely, Keep up the good work (Y)
rongotai

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:44 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, glad you enjoyed the latest update. :) I'm definitely enjoying this Dynasty, it's just a matter of finding time to play the games. Nothing else to report today but I'm sure I'll find time to play at least a couple of games over the weekend.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:20 am

Wow hell of a game by Hinrich. He did great, amazing win.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:47 pm

February 4th, 2006
Chicago (99) at Phoenix (91)
Gordon injured in Bulls' victory

[ Boxscore ]

Even though Ben Gordon was forced to leave the game due to injury, the Bulls were not about to let the game slip away. Kirk Hinrich scored 8 of his 26 points in the fourth quarter as Chicago overcame a determined Phoenix Suns team and 10 fourth quarter points from Steve Nash, holding on for a 99-91 road victory.

The first quarter was a defensive chess match with Chicago holding Phoenix to two points through the first seven minutes of the game while only scoring six of their own. Both teams would find their rhythm but the first quarter ended with the Bulls ahead 18-14. It was more of the same in the second with Chicago leading by double digits most of the way until the Suns cut into the lead in the closing minutes of the half trailing by eight. Chris Duhon was forced to the bench two minutes into the second after he appeared to injure a finger but would later return.

Phoenix opened up the third quarter with a 14-5 run to take a 49-48 lead early in the period. The Bulls recovered quickly and appeared to be back in control of the game running of seven points for a 55-49 lead but the Suns didn't back down, scoring 7 straight of their own for a 56-55 advantage. Chicago quickly recaptured the lead behind Darius Songaila's 8 third quarter points and finished the third up 63-61.

Duhon returned at the beginning of the fourth but the Bulls would soon be dealt another blow as Gordon injured his wrist halfway through the period, allowing the Suns to gain momentum and a two point lead. Chicago answered every Phoenix basket however and tied the game at 91 with a minute and a half remaining.

Andres Nocioni would then come up with the defensive play of the game, blocking Stoudemire's shot and sparking a fast break that led to a fast break basket to put the Bulls up 93-91. Nash then committed a careless backcourt violation, turning the ball over. Hinrich found Chandler underneath for a dunk to give Chicago a 95-91 advantage. Grant was called for a three second violation on the Suns' next trip down the floor forcing them to foul Hinrich on the next play. He made both free throws then Person intercepted a pass at the other end and was put on the line where he made both, putting the game well out of reach.

Gordon scored 21 but left the game with a wrist injury

Nocioni's rejection sparked a late Bulls run

February 5th, 2006
Gordon to miss six weeks; Duhon out against Jazz

CHICAGO, IL -- Bulls' guard Ben Gordon is expected to miss up to six weeks with a broken bone in his wrist, sustained in a collision with Jim Jackson in last night's 99-91 victory over the Suns in Phoenix. Gordon is averaging 27.5 ppg, 3 rpg and 5.5 apg in 46 games this season. The Bulls are also expected to be without Chris Duhon for tomorrow's game against the Utah Jazz due to a mildly sprained finger.

Jannero Pargo and Malik Allen are expected to replace Gordon and Duhon on the active roster. The Bulls have a full roster with 15 players but with Gordon out for more than a month they are expected to make a move to bring in another guard. With Gordon and Duhon out, the Bulls have only three guards on the active roster.

Coach's Diary
February 5th, 2006 - Tough times ahead

Even though we're 30-17 thanks to the run through January, spirits aren't exactly high right now. The loss of Ben is going to be tough, especially in our next game since Chris will be sitting as well. Once we get him back he'll be starting alongside Kirk in the backcourt but I'd like to make a couple of moves to try and get another guard, preferably someone who can give us some minutes at both guard spots until Ben's ready to come back. I expect it might take a few games before we sort ourselves out and replace Ben's scoring but we're playing at a high level right now and we're not about to fall in a heap. Still, it's going to be tough times ahead.

February 5th, 2006
Breaking news: Bulls, Bobcats complete four player trade

CHICAGO, IL -- The Chicago Bulls and Charlotte Bobcats have completed a trade that will send centres Othella Harrington and Jake Voskuhl to Charlotte in exchange for guards Matt Carroll and Kevin Burleson.

Caroll is expected to get some minutes in the absence of Ben Gordon, who will miss up to six weeks with a broken wrist, while Burleson is expected to be cut. The move will give Chicago over $4.5 million in cap room. Harrington and Voskuhl will add depth in the middle for the Bobcats as they now have four centres on the roster.

February 6th, 2006
Bulls cut Allen, Burleson; sign Campbell, Wagner

CHICAGO, IL -- The Chicago Bulls announced the release of point guard Kevin Burleson, acquired yesterday in a trade with Charlotte, as well as power forward Malik Allen who will be a free agent this summer. Chicago also announced the signing of veteran big man Elden Campbell, who won a championship with Detroit in 2004, and guard Dajuan Wagner who will likely fill in at both guard spots while Ben Gordon is out with a broken wrist.

Both players will be in uniform when the Bulls take on the Jazz in Utah tonight.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Matthew on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:15 pm

I would say tough break with the gorodn injury, but i love it when a player of mine gets injured. it adds to the drama and challenge of the season. looking forward to the next update (Y)
Matthew

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:18 pm

February 6th, 2006
Chicago (90) at Utah (99)
Depleted Bulls collapse in second half

[ Boxscore ]

Playing their first of several games without their injured leading scorer Ben Gordon as well as reserve point guard Chris Duhon, the Bulls found themselves unable to cope with a balanced attack from the Utah Jazz. Andrei Kirilenko scored 16 points and added 8 rebounds and 5 assists while Carlos Boozer had 19 points and 15 rebounds as Utah defended their homecourt with a nine point victory.

The Jazz scored the first 9 points of the game as the Bulls looked sluggish, finally getting onto the scoreboard after Luol Deng made a pair of free throws. Deng continued to lead the charge through the first quarter as Chicago stormed back and took the lead, holding it until the break. The Bulls kept the momentum at the start of the second but were soon slowed by the defense of the Jazz. Despite 20 first half points from Deng the Jazz had tied it up at 50.

Utah was the aggressor in the third quarter opening with a 14-4 run that had the Bulls back on their heels. Chicago couldn't buy a basket while the Jazz's offense was in high gear, scoring 25 points in the quarter to ring up a nine point advantage heading into the fourth. The Bulls would come within four but fell apart late in the game. Kirilenko scored 10 points in the fourth including a 30 foot three pointer that banked in to beat the shot clock as Utah overwhelmed the shorthanded Bulls and picking up the 99-90 victory.

Notes: Elden Campbell, Matt Carroll and Dajuan Wagner all made their debut for Chicago. They contributed 5 points, 5 assists, 2 steals and shot a combined 2/8 from the field and 1/2 from the line...Utah outrebounded Chicago 49-41 including 21-14 on the offensive glass.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hova- on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:21 pm

Tough injuries, the moves werent bad, I like them, but seems like the three debutants couldnt find their rhythm yet. I hope you get it done without Ben, but it will definitely hard !
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Matthew on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:23 pm

Are you concerned with the loss?
Matthew

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame