Bless my palm with SILVER baby..<Summer break...>

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Bless my palm with SILVER baby..<Summer break...>

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:45 pm

September 25, 2003

Dear Diary,

My name is Mark Morrison , but my friends call me M&M ( pronounced em – in – em ). I am 32 years old and have just graduated from my MBA class in Sports Management in Stanford. I decided upon this career after failed early attempt as a rapper ( none of the agents in the music business thought I’d make it , being a white boy nicknamed Eminem ) and a basketball player ( got cut from my varsity team after failing to pass the ‘jumping over a twice folded newspaper’ test ). This is a diary I have decided to keep so as I can keep track of things in my life as time goes on… Or maybe it’s just an excuse for me not trying enough to get a girlfriend…

January 7th, 2004

Today was a great day indeed. After 4 months of job-hunting the phone rang this morning. It was no other than Knicks VC and GM , and former NBA legend Isaea Thomas, wanting me to join him as an assistant GM for the team. Naturally, I was dumbfounded… what kind of experience or credentials do I have to warrant such a position… No matter, as the say you shouldn’t look at a gift horse in the Mouth, so I hastily accepted and got on the first bus to New York. What? No plane first class? What, you think I had more than two pennys to rub together prior to this?

January 11th, 2004

I finally arrive in New York… Taking a broken down decrepit bus from California to New York can result in rather excessive time delays… not to mention the Pakistani bus-jacker that had us roaming the rural streets of Kansas until he received compensation from the government regarding his being fired from his job a week ago…

January 12th , 2004

I met Isaea Thomas this morning… He went into full detail describing my duties as an Assistant GM for the Knicks. Let’s see: the photo copier was busted, the espresso machine was dripping machine oil instead of coffee, and Isaea’s shoes needed polishing the old fashioned way. Needless to say, I was thrilled to be a part of the Knicks organization.

April 20th, 2004

What do you know, the team actually made the playoffs… Here’s to not getting sweeped on the first round… By the way, I have come to the conclusion that Isaea is a… how shall I put it so that I do not seem disrespectful towards his playing career… hmmmm…. oh yes, a complete moron and diphit, that doesn’t have a clue about running any sort of business, much less a living and breathing organizations such as a basketball franchise… and a complete jackass for not listening to a word I say… There, I hope that didn’t come out as too harsh…

September 21st, 2004

Oh boy, Isaea is really walking on a thin line now… He has just made some questionable, to put it mildly, trade moves. First he acquires Nazr Mohammed from the Hawks, to get a true center, even if a bit undersized. And then trades him to the Spurs to get even more undersized PF Malik Rose and his bloated contract. Okay , we can live with that. Next move: Signing rebounding PF Junk-Yard-Dog Williams… another PF with a big paycheck due… Crap… Next up: Signing perennial underachiever Tim Thomas for over 10 m a year… Holy mother… It’s not over: trades Vin Baker and Moochie Norris to the Rockets for Mo Taylor, which would have been great had Mo Taylor NOT BEEN A FRIGGIN’ PF WITH A BLOATED CONTRACT!!! Maybe I’ll go beat him up right now… Yes, I’ll do that…

September 24th, 2004

With Isaea in the hospital sporting quite the number of broken bones and barely recognizable due to facial reordering, courtesy of yours truly, the New York Knicks ownership called to inform me that I was the consensus choice to be the teams’ next GM, due to my outstanding credentials… WTF??? What credentials? All I ever did in my stint here was serving coffee, fixing malfunctioning machinery and the pinnacle of all, beating my boss into a pulp… Hey, maybe that’s why. Looks like I was not the only one hating Isaea…

Next Up: Meeting the team (hmmm.. make that ‘Meeting the Power Forwards” ) and the first days in my new comfy chair…
Last edited by AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:53 am, edited 41 times in total.
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby cklitsie on Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:20 pm

Is this a fucking joke? :roll:
And it's Isiah...
cklitsie

Postby The X on Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:11 pm

:lol: classic....good luck with the cap and all those undersized, overpaid PF's :wink:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Fitzy on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:48 am

What is this?
Fitzy

Postby The X on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:59 am

Fitzy wrote:What is this?

my guess would be an NBA Live dynasty :wink:

but knowing dweaver already has a dynasty going, I'd say this is a simmed one....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:03 pm

Okay, here goes:

Is this a fucking joke?

Damn, don't be so sensitive with your Knicks, I'm trying to restore them here...

And it's Isiah...

The Hebrew original sounds and looks better... :lol:

good luck with the cap and all those undersized, overpaid PF's

Aye,now where's Luke Walton I wonder? :lol:

What is this?

Indefinable. Results may wary, depending on alcohol amount in blood stream. 8-)

dweaver already has a dynasty going, I'd say this is a simmed one....

Partially. Some games will be intervened and maybe 1 game played in whole each month.
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby COOLmac© on Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:36 pm

this is the shit.......even though i have no clue what's all of this is about :lol:
MY FORUMS [u pinoy? go here!]/YES COOLmac's WHITEmen DYNASTY!!!
coolmac's weekly random lyrics #23 I'm dumb she's a lesbian. i thought i have found the one
coolmac's law of plain logical events #479 use common sense, you need to sleep to live
COOLmac©

Postby John WB on Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:44 pm

Good luck. Make NY proud.
John WB

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:28 am

October 1st, 2004

I met the team today. What a sorry excuse for a basketball team. The talent is there, alright, but their mentality seems to be that of the fly being caught in a spider web. Nobody appears motivated enough, most of the guys are paid way too much for the things they bring to the table… Hmmmm, looks like a roster reordering must take place soon if we don’t want the Madison Square Garden faithful throwing tomatoes or other unidentifiable flying edible objects to the players during the season.

October 31st, 2004

It took almost a month of careful planning and constant phone talking for our organization to convince another franchise to actually take a player from us. I had heard about a week ago that Jamal Magloire of the Hornets was not too happy about his teams’ dealing Baron Davis to the Warriors for spare parts and cap relief, and had demanded a trade. Looks like the big Canadian didn’t want to sacrifice his prime playing for a rebuilding team, so I got on the phone today and closed a deal involving him. The price was not small, but given the fact that the Knicks had no centers whatsoever, I do believe he’s worth it. Kurt Thomas had already told me that he did not want to play center this season, while Mike Sweetney’s constantly expanding rear end would bring about a local solar eclipse one day. So those two guys along with somebody named Jermaine Jackson ( who? ) found their way to New Orleans to help in the rebuilding process, while Jamal Magloire came to the Big Apple to solidify New York’s inside presence.

AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:59 am

November 2nd , 2004

1. Today is the NBA’s opening day and we face the Wolves in Minneapolis. But at the last moment, yesterday night, the phone ranf and it was Chris Mullin, GM of the Golden State Warriors, calling to offer us a trade of personnel. He said that after trading from Baron Davis, they thought that Derek Fisher would not get the minutes he expected and would soon get unhappy wanting out, so they decided to shop him around to get a rebounding big man to bring some hustle to their team. I immediately had an answer, with Jerome Williams being one of those overpaid/undersized PFs I loathe so much. We offered Junk Yard Dog, along with Jackie Butler and Bruno Sundov to the Warriors in exchange for D-Fish. Here’s hoping that out team makes the playoffs this season so that Derek’s crunch time performances are worth his steep contract.

2. The aforementioned two trading extravaganzas left the Knicks with a 10-man roster, so I went all out last night and potentially broke a Major Sports signing time record after finalizing 5 free agent deals in less than two hours. The New York Knicks acquired , all signed with minimum contracts:

- Veteran C Derrick Coleman. This is probably his last active year. I’ll inform his parole officer first and then get him to sign…
- French PF/C Jerome Moiso. He has never really lived up to his 11th pick selection a few years back, but should provide athleticism for our frontcourt. Plus, he’s a PF with a low contract and 6’ 10” tall, quite the novelty for our franchise
- Veteran PF Tyrone Hill. A bruiser and a warrior, should bring passion whenever he is called upon. Probably his last year as a pro, as well.
- Sophomore PG Troy Bell. Another mid-first round pick that failed to impress. Bell gets another chance in Manhattan, but his minutes behind Marbury and Fisher will be close to zero.
- Veteran C Cherokee Parks. Actually, Parks himself called me to propose that we sign him, saying that he always wanted to open a tattoo shop in New York. I gave him the chance.

Here’s the New York Knicks’ finalized opening day roster for the 04/05 season:

AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:28 am

3. Minnesota 117 - New York 104
We had 7 new players on the roster , 5 of which were with the team half a day and suffering from jet-lag. Despite that, the Knicks put up a good fight in the Wolves’ den and had 6 players in double digits, with Magloire having a fine debut with 16points and 12 rebounds on 7-11 shooting. Minnesota’s Sam cassell was on fire though, and with 29pts – 10rebs – 5ast led his team to victory.

November 6, 2004

New York 120 - Boston 93
In our first game in The Garden for this season, we thrashed the Celtics big time. Led by Tim Thomas’ 19pts and 12 rebounds and Jamal Crawford’s perimeter shooting display, the Knicks cruised to their first win of the season and brought early smile to the Garden faithful.

November 9, 2004

New York 91 - Philadelphia 104
The Alen Iverson – Chris Webber duo proved too much for the Knicks to handle. AI had 24pts – 12ast and C-Webb 21pts – 16rebs for the Sixers, while all New York had to show in the end were Marbury’s 25pts- 7ast – 5rebs.

November 12, 2004

New York 116 - LA Clippers 95
Another home blowout win with Marbury and Crawford catching fire from the perimeter and a vintage performance by Magloire with 18pts and 8rebs. Allan Houston seems to have embraced his role as the team’s sixth man off the bench and really led the Knick’s second unit in this game with 16 points.

November 13, 2004

Indiana 98 - New York 100
A classic Eastern Conference rivalrly, and it was decide in the end by none other than Maurice Taylor, who hit his 2 free throws with 12 seconds to go to give his team the away victory. Crawford led in scoring with 33 points, while Marbury racked up 11 assists. The guy that made the difference in the 4th quarter though, was Jamal Magloire who posterized Jeff Foster and kept the Knicks in charge until the end. Indiana’s scoring was the courtesy of JO, who finished the game with 33 points.

November 16, 2004

San Antonio 68 - New York 97
A great and unexpected W for the Knicks in the usually impregnable SBC center, against one of the model franchises of this league ( hmmm, I wonder where we rank in that category…). Mo Taylor once again went on a rebounding spree grabbing 17 boards, scaring off the paint even The Big Fundamental in the process.

November 18, 2004

Houston 96 - New York 100
Another fine road win in Texas, with the usual suspects of Crawford ( 25pts- 10ast ) and Early season surprise Maurice Taylor (17pts – 13rebs) being the main reasons behind it. T-Mac was silenced by the defense while only Bob Sura’s 25 points threatened to steal the win away from New York, but to no avail.

November 19, 2004

Dallas 96 – New York 74
We went in this one with the commitment towards a third straight road win in Texas, but the Mavs proved too much for us. Five of their players hit double-digits in scoring, with the main difference being made by Keith Van Horn coming off the bench and scoring 18points in limited minutes.

November 21, 2004

New York 98 – Cleveland 85
Another 4th quarter charge saw the Knicks improve their regular season record to a promising 6-3. This time it was Tim Thomas who carried the offense with Penny Hardaway having glimpses of his old self, while LeBron James’ 33 points and all around effort were not enough to reverse the momentum late in the game.

November 23, 2004

New York 99 – Atlanta 88 (Record: 7-3)
It was a close call in the end, with the Knicks meeting unexpected resistance from the 1-8 thus far Hawks. It was Marbury’s near triple double of 21pts – 11ast – 9rebs and Jamal Crawfords 22 points that turned the tide for the home team, while Atlanta’s game was based around rookie sensation Josh Smith’s 21 points, most of which came through dunks.

November 24, 2004

Toronto 95 – New York 106 (Record: 8-3)
A Central division battle that took place in Canada, with the Knicks edging out their opponents mostly due to their pluralism on offense, with 6 players scoring double figures, led by Marbury’s 22. Toronto had no help from their bench whatsoever, and despite Bosh’s 28 and Rose’s 25, they had no chance of winning this one on their own.

November 27, 2004

New York 118 – Toronto 107 (Record: 9-3)
Jalen Rose must be secretly vying for a trade to New York, cause he lit up the Garden his his 36points and 9 assists, but once again he was too alone, with Bosh hiding behind a locker in the MSG somewhere… Spike Lee and the rest of the Knicks’ fans must have been excited seeing Jamal Magloire downing 22 rebounds and scoring 14 points to go along.

November 30, 2004

Atlanta 111 – New York 113 (Record: 10-3)
Tim Thomas from the Knicks and Al Harrington from the Hawks were on a battle of their own in the final quarter of this contest, with the former finishing with 34points( most of them courtesy of Starbury’s 11 assists) and the latter with 33. Pretty even, but in the final strtches of the game, New York had extra help from Alan Houston and (surprise-surprise) Derrick Coleman. The Hawks are now 1-13 in the season and things are looking anything but good…

Coming Up: November Diary Recap...
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby John WB on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:23 am

You've made some horrible trades. Magloire wasn't worth that much and Fisher wasn't either.
John WB

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:25 am

I got rid of 3 undersized PFs and got the team scorching through November. That means success in my book. Plus, it's always good to have a C rated 71 in your team... :wink:
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby cklitsie on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:08 am

For a dynasty with goals like yours, the trades are alright. In real-life they would be horrible (at least to me and I'm a fan). Like you said, you got rid of some of the PF's and that's what you wanted. The free agent signings seemed a bit much to me though, will you even use those guys?

ps. I guess you've experienced how good Maurice Taylor is in NBA Live, just like I did...
cklitsie

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:21 am

In real-life they would be horrible (at least to me and I'm a fan).

Assuming Magloire had no injury concerns, I do not believe the Hornets would trade him for K. Thomas and Sweetney. A good, up and coming young Center is hard to find nowadays...

Now the Fisher one is open to debate... but I hate JYD and his 20m dollar deal... Gimme Fish and his 30 m deal anytime... :lol:

The free agent signings seemed a bit much to me though, will you even use those guys?

I needed ti fill up the roster... Moiso and Coleman will be used if one of the main 3 big men (Magloire, Taylor and Rose) gets injured or in garbage time. Troy Bell is a PG, and you have to have a third PG in you roster incase of an emergency. Probably won't play a minuthe, though, as both JC and Penny can play the point if need be. Now the Chief and Ty Hill are probably going to spend their season in the IR. But all in all I've got a pretty deep roster, don't you think? :wink:
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby The X on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:27 am

luvin' those trades dweaver (Y) those are the type of deals that I'd make if I was in New York's situation :mrgreen:

the thing that I think a lot of people forget about Jamaal Magloire is that when he played in the Eastern Conference he was one of the top 3 or 4 big men in the Conference and a fringe All-Star....a nice move (Y)

although in real life Isaiah wouldn't have given up Sweetney, but he should really, as Knicks don't need a bunch of undersized PF's....would have preferred to see you deal Malik Rose but ahh well....good to see Fisher in town, although sad to see the Junkyard Dog leaving :(

overall, nice moves....can't believe knicks are winning so much though :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:32 am

the thing that I think a lot of people forget about Jamaal Magloire is that when he played in the Eastern Conference he was one of the top 3 or 4 big men in the Conference and a fringe All-Star

My point exactly. In the end, if someone got fleeced with this trede, it's the Hornets...

would have preferred to see you deal Malik Rose

Me too, but if I was the Hornets' GM I would demand Sweetney if I was going to give up Magloire. So... Malik stays... he'l even get minutes at C :lol:

can't believe knicks are winning so much though

And to think I only intervened in 5 of the 13 games... (Y) let's hope this keeps up...
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:38 am

December 1, 2004

This is my short recap of what took place around the league in November.

First of all, let’s see how our New York boys did in the first month:

Jamal Crawford has really been the leader in the early days, scoring near 20ppg and having good numbers in other categories as well, racking up 5assists and almost 2 steals per game, earning his salary all the way down to the last penny.
Stephon Marbury has been a pleasant surprise, seeming to have transformed himself into a pass-first team player all of a sudden. When I discussed this with him, he told me that he was tired of always being the best player on losing teams, and would like to help his teammates get better in order to experience a winning season for a change. Maybe the kid is actually growing up, you never know. I won’t put my finger on it so early, though…
Pleasant surprises of the season include Tim Thomas and Maurice Taylor. Thomas is a constant 3rd choice on offense, while Mo has been putting up great numbers in scoring and rebounding. In addition, new addition Jamal Magloire has been slowly learning to play in our system and under the constant scrutiny of the NY media.
Here’s hoping that our 9-man rotation can get us winning throughout the regular season and beyond… :chug:

Eastern Conference Review:

The Eastern Conference looks like once more the weaker of the two, with many teams piled up around the .500 mark early on.

UP: (Y)

- New York Knicks ( 10-3 ) : The surprise out of the Big City, nobody expected the Knickerbockers to come out blazing so early in the season, especially regarding the fact that 7 of their 15 players were added at virtually the last moment. Team play has brought them on top so far, causing joy and smiles all over the MSG.

- Orlando Magic ( 9-4 ) : After an abysmal record last season being the worst team in th entire league, the Magic have been resurrected from the dead, being led by the resurgent Grant Hill who is putting up numbers in the vicinity of 22 – 7 –5 , after nearly 4 seasons worth of rehabbing. The incredible HS rookie Dwight Howard is impressing early on, putting up 17 ppg and 9rpg, being the third option in Orlando’s offense behind Hill and Steve Francis, who may be erratic, but can light up the scoreboard.

DOWN: (N)

- Atlanta Hawks ( 1-13) : With only Al Harrington putting up great numbers and rookies Childress and Josh Smith trying to keep up, this team is a mess and is already considered a lock-on for th eworst record in the NBA this season. Unless something unexpectedly dramatic occurs, look for things to be even more depressing in the Phillips Arena.
- Philadelphia 76ers ( 4-9 ) : Despite rookie sensation Andre Iguodala’s 13ppg and 5rpg, the Sixers are going nowhere with Allen Iverson stuck at 18ppg. To make things worse, newly acquired Chris Webber seems to be a defensive liability, and the SF position is lacking with only frequently injured Jamal Mashburn manning the spot adequately

Western Conference Review:

There were quite a few teams from the West that took the league by storm in November, while most of these 15 teams dominated their eastern counterparts on most occasions.

UP: (Y)

- Minnesota Timberwolves ( 13-0 ): The Wolves started strong and never looked back in November , not losing a single game, and blowing out most of their opponents. KG is having an identical season as the one that got him the MVP award last year, while veterans Cassell and Sprewell have kept their games on high levels, despite their age. Factor in Wally Szczerbiak’s contribution and the Kandiman’s defensive presence and you got yourself a pretty nice 13-0 record to start the season…
- Phoenix Suns ( 12-2 ): The addition of Steve Nash’s incredible numbers of 23ppg and 9apg seems to have transformed last years less than 30 wins team into a contender. Stevie seem to be making everyone around him better, and taking into consideration his supporting cast of Marion and Stoudemire, this team’s limit can only be the sky.

DOWN: (N)

- Denver Nuggets ( 3-11 ): A rough start ti the season for the young Nuggets, who might live to regret Kenyon Martin’s acquisition, despite his monster numbers, as there seems to be a clash between him and Carmelo Anthony, with each one needing a ball of his own. Teamplay has gone down the drain in the Mile High City, and the Nuggets should get serious soon if they want to make a run at the playoffs.
- LA Clippers ( 3-12 ): Looks like another disappointing season in the works for the Clips, who haven’t seen playoff action sonce their san Diego days, almost 30 years back. Despite a nice roster, they seem to choke in the 4th quarter, when it matters the most, not to mention the locker room grumbling that doesn’t help make things any better
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:59 am

December 1, 2004 (cont.)

New York 93 – Memphis 109 ( Record: 10 – 4)
Pau Gasol’s 24 points and 9 rebounds, most of which at crucial moments when the Knicks were trying to mount a comeback, along with the unexpected help Andre Emmett provided off the bench with 13 points in 15 minutes, didn’t leave much room to the home team for victory. Crawford had a fine game with 23points, but Marbury’s 2-17 from the field buried New York’s chances in the end.

December 3, 2004

New York 95 – Orlando 90 (Record: 11 – 4)
Stephon Marbury recovered from his abysmal last performance and led the Knicks in this one with 18 points and 10assist, on great percentage, being a true leader on the court. He had a lot of help from Magloire’s 19pts – 10rebs, and they both turned it up a notch in the 4th quarter to stave off an Orlando comeback led by Hill and Howard.

On a side note, I have just been informed that Steve Nash suffered an Achilles injury today and will be sidelined for two weeks minimum. It would be interesting to see how the Suns cope with their leader’s absence….

December 4, 2004

Charlotte 92 – New York 101 (Record: 12 – 4)
Another excellent team performance by the Knicks, with 6 players around the 15 point area. Marbury nearly posted a triple double, while Allan Houston’s points off the bench in the second half proved to be the deciding factor in a game which the Bobcats never had the lead in their hands.

December 7, 2004

Memphis 84 – New York 92 (Record: 13 – 4)
Marbury led the Knicks once more to a road victory, putting up 24points and providing crucial baskets and free throws during the crucial final stretches of te 4th quarter. Big men Magloire and Taylor did their rebounding job with each bringing down 13 boards, also helping their team slow down Pau Gasol’s offensive activity.

December 8, 2004

New Orleans 89 – New York 118 (Record: 14 – 4)
Another vintage team performance by the New Yorkers, helped by Jamal Magloire who went on a rampage agains his former team, scoring 24points and bring down 14 rebounds. The real monster performance belonged to Jamal Crawford though, who put up a career high of 41 points torching the Hornets from the perimeter hitting 7 out of his 12 attempted 3pointers. Casey Jacobsen also had a career high with 29 points and 6 treys, but it wasn’t enough to stop Crawford’s rampage.

December 10, 2004

Washington 105 – New York 98 (Record: 14 – 5)
Marbury led a 4th quarter charge for the visitors and finished the game with 26points and 9 assists, most of which in that period, but he wasn’t able to single0handedly take on Washington’s trio of usual scoring suspects. Arenas had 35, Highes 25 and Jamison 24 points for the Wiz, which made it really hard for the knicks to find their way back into the game in the end.

December 12, 2004

New York 123 – Denver 112 (OT) (Record: 15 – 5)
This was a great spectacle for the lucky fans in the stands, as the two teams took it to each other offensively and never looked back. It took overtime to decide the winner. And ince again New York’s team mentality proved to be the deciding factor. The Knicks had 3 players scoring 20 points or more, with Maurice Taylor’s 20pts – 15rebs – 5ast and Tim Thomas’ 20pts – 16rebs standing out. Carmelo Anthony scored 32 pts and K-Mart Grabbed 21 rebounds for Denver.

December 14, 2004

New Jersey 92 – New York 101 (Record: 16 – 5)
This local rivalry went down to the last seconds, resulting in a free throw contest which New York eventually won. To get there the Knicks had to rely on an immense inside game by Magloire who not only scored 18 points, all in the paint, but grabbed 18 rebounds to go along, many off which were offensive. Starbury seconded him with 20 points and 7 assists, while Richard Jefferson’s offensive prowess and J-Kidd’s leadership were all thin-benched New Jersey had to show in the end.

December 15, 2004

New York 95 – Detroit 101 (Record: 16 – 6)
Detroit were 14 – 6 coming into this game and wanted a win to close the gap between themselves and the Knicks. They succeeded relying on the wallaces. Ben was a monster in the key with 15pts – 20rebs and Rasheed scored 20 more points to second him. Allan Houston’s amazing 6th man performance putting up 21 points in 25minutes was not enough to tip the scale in New York’s favor.

December 17, 2004

Philadephia 108 – New York 88 (Record: 16 – 7)
The Knicks never really showed up for this game , leaving the struggling Sixers with an easy win down the stretch. Allen Iverson and Chris Webber played fantastically both individually and as a duo, with each of them nearing a triple double figure in the end. New York, on the other hand, received no help from the bench and was doomed to defeat relatively early in the contest.

Lamar Odom broke his index finger in practice today and will miss the next 3 weeks or so in rehab. This is a definite blow for the Lakers who had been doing well likely having improved their record to 14 – 9 and sitting in the 6th spot in the Western Conference standings.

December 19, 2004

New York 95 – Utah 92 (Record: 17 – 7)
This wasn’t a pretty game to watch, with both teams shooting around .420 and a lot of turnovers, which did not usually evolve inti fast breaks and transition baskets. Marbury led the Knicks with 24 points and 7assist,while the Jazz had 3 players on 17 points. In the end, it was Magloire’s hustle and defensive presence that turned the scale towards New York.

December 21, 2004

New York 88 – Dallas 99 (Record: 17 – 8)
It was New York’s second defeat at the hands of Dallas this season, mainly courtesy of Dirk Nowitzki’s 4th quarter heroics, which helped him finish the game with 25 points, 12 rebounds and 5 assists, while Keith Van Horn’s nomination for the 6th Man of the Year only got more solid with his 19 points off the bench in limited minutes. Malik Rose had a great game off the bench as well with 13pts – 17rebs, but the Knicks’ starters were way below their usual standards throughout.

December 22, 2004

Boston 121 – New York 119 ( OT ) (Record: 17 – 9)
Another overtime ethriller, but this time the Knicks couldn’t escape with the win, resulting in their 4th loss in th elast 5 games. The game was a sight to behold, with Ricky Davis scoring 30 coming off the bench, while Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker had 23 and 28 respectively, both nearing triple doubles. On the Knicks’ camp, Mo Taylor scored 25 and Magloire had 19 points and 21 rebounds. In the end, it al went down to the wire and it took a Davis’ shot with fractions of a second left to clinch this one for the Celts.

December 26, 2004

New York 102 – Charlotte 85 (Record: 18 – 9)
The Knicks had no trouble chalking up another home W against the expansion Bobcats, once again playing excellent team basketball and finding scoring and defensive solutions off the bench. Marbury led with 24 points, and Tim Thomas was a close second with 19 points and 9 rebounds, occasionally manning the PF spot. From the Bobcats, Okafor was trying and the bench provided assistance, but in the end New York’s experience proved too much to handle.

December 27, 2004

Orlando 89 – New York 67 (Record: 18 – 10)
An excellent defensive game plan being executed to perfection by the Orlando players resulting in shutting down nearly every offensive weapon the Knicks had in their arsenal, except Marbury who scored 21. But the team’s FG percentage of .364 was telling th ewhole story. Orlando’s scoring was equally spread among Hill, Howard, Christie and Francis, all of which had about 16 points.

December 29, 2004

New York 96 – Minnesota 103 (Record: 18 – 11)
The Wolves were an incredible 23 – 3 prior to this contest, and they proved that they are worth their record so far without a shred of a doubt. Mo Taylor’s 18 rebounds and Jamal Crawford’s 24 points were not enough to give New York a chance, especially taking under consideration that KG had a monster game with 25pts – 15rebs while Spree and Fred Hoiberg had 21 each.

December 30, 2004

I received a memo from the team’s owner this morning while at my office, saying : “I am pleasantly surprised with your progress thus far. I like the way you’ve been running things around here.”
Looks like I have made a good first impression on the big boss. Or maybe he just woke up on th eright side of his bed today. Time will tell…
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby John WB on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:08 am

Lots of games. Nice update! (Y)
John WB

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:04 am

December 31, 2004

Today I decided upon another trade to bring the franchise closer to its short and long term goals. I figured that we currently needed a player with hustle that could man both the PF but most importantly, the C position for when Magloire is on the bench.

A veteran tall guy would be preferable, because, as things were up until the time, 6’ 7” Malik Rose was forced to play quite the number of minutes at center, having great trouble man-marking 7 footers despite his strength and passion.

In addition, I found Penny Hardaway being only a shell of his former self (no kidding…) and actually having no clear cut position now at 33 years of age. He had become too sluggish to play the point, too inconsistent from outside to be a SG, and too skinny to play at the 3, not to mention that he was stealing away minutes from Trevor Ariza, whose upside I really like.

Furthermore, Penny’s salary of 14.63m would go off the books at the end of this season, but that wouldn’t mean anything for the Knicks as we would still be over 30m above the cap. Most of the team’s huge contracts ( Houston, Taylor, Rose, Thomas ) expire in 2-3 years, so I was willing to take on a 10m+ contract for a big man that would expire in 2-3 years, so that I can effectively hit the FA market in 2007 (LeBron?).

So I reviewed all the teams’ roster along with the financial details and something stroke my fancy: Antonio Davis of the Bulls was stuck in the bench behind Chandler and Curry , Chicago had just signed PF prospect Marcus Haislip for 5 years, and they were desperately looking for a backup SG/PG to take some pressure off youngsters Gordon and Hinrich. The deal was finalized within minutes: Knicks ship Penny Hardaway and PF/C Jerome Moiso to the Bulls for PF/C Antonio Davis and SG/SF Eric Piatkowski.

Piatkowski’s contract is about 6m for the next 2 years, and while it is too much for his rating(50), his shooting off the bench is something that will prove useful in the long run, hopefully.

Here’s the new team roster/depth chart after the last trade:

AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby John WB on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:07 am

Nice deal. would be a good deal in real life too. Penny's been useless on the Knicks and he other guy, I have no clue.
John WB

Postby AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:34 am

Hey John, do you know if #34 is retired by the Knicks? If it is, I'd better change Antonio's number...
AlwaysWhat,NeverWhy

Postby COOLmac© on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:35 pm

may i ask how'd you get to half such handsome palm pilot?
MY FORUMS [u pinoy? go here!]/YES COOLmac's WHITEmen DYNASTY!!!
coolmac's weekly random lyrics #23 I'm dumb she's a lesbian. i thought i have found the one
coolmac's law of plain logical events #479 use common sense, you need to sleep to live
COOLmac©

Postby cklitsie on Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:24 pm

I'm starting to like this dynasty because it's more about management and the last trade was much, much better than the ones before. (Y) I knew about Magloire being an All-Star last year, but IMO that was more because of the weak big men in the East than his own qualities. Anyway you've got a pretty good record right now so keep it up, too bad about last month when you were 16-5 at one point while you ended 18-11.
Dr. DWeaver99027 wrote:Hey John, do you know if #34 is retired by the Knicks? If it is, I'd better change Antonio's number...
No, it's not, Antonio McDyess wore it when he was with New York and after that only Ewing's #33 was retired.
cklitsie

Next

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame