X's Bobcats Dynasty '07/08 (NBA Live 2005)

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Postby The X on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:58 pm

2005 OFF-SEASON COVERAGE

TRADING PERIOD

While making some progress in free agency, there are still some holes. Let's see if I could swing some trades.

AUGUST

Once the trading period started I concentrated on trying to secure a starting PG to lead the team to their first playoff berth. I first looked at getting Sonics' rookie PG Julian Nwanaka, as I noticed they had an excess of PG's on their roster. Unfortunately due to their lack of cap room and roster space I was unable to make a deal that worked for both teams.

I then shifted my attention to Washington and the hope that maybe I could get Larry Hughes after all. Unfortunately, no combination I offered worked, and I eventually threw in the towel on that idea. With hopes dwindling, the unexpected happened when I threw together a different trade offer for the Wizards....

Bobcats Pull a Rabbit out of the Hat to Snare Arenas

Once Larry Hughes was out of the picture, the Bobcats turned their attention to his backcourt buddy, Gilbert Arenas. I offered the Wizards the newly signed Ronald Murray, along with holdovers Jason Hart and Bernard Robinson for Gilbert Arenas. I was surprised when I received the following pda message back:

ImageThis deal was a huge coup for the Bobcats and it saved their off-season from being a disappointment. Gilbert Arenas is a fringe All-Star PG at present and has the chance to develop into one of the top few PG's in the league. Arenas combines big time scoring ability from the point with pesky defensive skills to give the Bobcats something they had been lacking from the PG position, some attitude. Arenas commented at the news conference that 'the Bobcats were gonna take the Southeast Division, and to mark his words on it'.

Before anyone says this is an unfair trade, you have to look at it from the Wizards' perspective. The immediate combined salary savings for the Wizards is $4 million. Once Hart and Robinson come off the books at the end of the season, the Wizards will have an additional $6 million of cap savings. A year later once Ronald Murray's contract is up, the cap savings are about $10.5 million. They will save this money for an additional 2 years that Arenas is under contract.

Arenas had not been the impact player that the Wizards had hoped for as they slumped to the 2nd worst record in the NBA and it was a time for change. Ronald Murray should make an impact at both guard positions, and Hart might get some backup minutes at PG. However this deal was made mostly due to financial reasons for the struggling Wizards.

The Charlotte Bobcats aren't complaining one bit. Whilst they gave up some depth, the only real loss is newly signed Ronald Murray. They have gained backed a PG who could make his first All-Star appearance, and who should make a strong 1-2 duo with 2nd year forward Emeka Okafor.

Check out below for full transactions for the month of August

SEPTEMBER

In September, realising I had very little cap space and flexibility, I tried to clear a little cap space for the future. My main target was to get rid of Primo Brezec. Why Primo Brezec you ask?!? Well, in the off-season Primo Brezec had declined from an overall rating of 50 to 47. I have no reason to believe that he will now be much better than a role player at best. He's probably going to continue to decline which is a shame. What's even more of a shame is that I dbf edited salaries to bring them into line with the NBA as at the start of the '04/05 season, which means that Primo Brezec has an extension of 3 years and $7.5 million dollars. I don't wanna be paying a declining player $2.5 mill per season so I decided to shop him.

There weren't too many teams interested in a C with a rating of 47. One team that was though was the perenially centre-thin Phoenix Suns, who had some mild interest. The guy I wanted off their team was rookie SG Ashon Camby, who I think could be a future star. Unfortunately, due to cap reasons and the Suns' lack of interest in any deals that I could make, this deal never got off the ground.

I continued to shop Brezec and finally found a taker in the Windy City....

Bobcats Move Brezec to Bulls in a Salary Cap Saving Move

Desperate to trade Primo Brezec and his 3 year deal, the Charlotte Bobcats dealt him to the Chicago Bulls for veteran sharpshooter Eric Piatowski.

ImageWith this deal the 'Cats unload Brezec's 3 year deal, $7.5 million deal for Piatowski, who only has 1 year and $2.95 million remaining on his contract. Whilst it was hard to deal Brezec, especially for Piatowski who will probably sit deep on the Bobcats' bench, it was a deal that team owners and GM thought was a good move financially.

The Charlotte Bobcats would like to thank Primo Brezec for a great 2004/05 season in which he led from the front with career highs in most categories.

:applaud:

Primo Brezec's 2004/05 Season:
10.8ppg, 8.6rpg
8.07 Raw Birdie Pts
7.94 Weighted Birdie Pts

Check out below for full transactions for the month of September

After the trading period the roster looks like this:

Salary Cap Info:

NBA Salary Cap Limit = $44.34m
Charlotte's Salary Cap Limit = $33.26m
Charlotte's Current Salary Cap = $31.25m
Charlotte's Remaining Cap Space = $2.01m

As can be seen by the roster, the starting lineup is an improvement over last season, although the roster is now not very deep. I need another backup C/PF although I can see Luke Walton getting a little time at the 4 until I shore up the depth issue. Backup PG's and SG's are a must.

What's on the books for the rest of the Roster?!?

Well first things first, I am going to definitely use that $2 million cap space to sign a SG. I will probably go with one of the combo guards below, Dejuan Wagner or Willie Green, who are both after about $2 million a season. I have made an offer to Wagner of 1 year, $2 million. I chose to offer Wagner first as I think he has a few more PG skills than Green and can help out there if needed. If Wagner knocks back my offer, I'll pick up Willie Green, who's asking for a little less.

To fill out the final 3 roster spots, I am going to sign players to minimum contracts, which is the only way in Live 2005 to do so to go over the cap (due to there being no mid-level exceptions). I will keep an eye on the waivers that come available in the first week or so of the season. At the moment I'll probably sign a big guy like Michael Bradley or something, as well as whatever PG is going.

Well that's all folks, that's the end of my off-season coverage. I can finally get back into season action. :crazyeyes: I am really looking forward to see how Gilbert Arenas fits in. Let me know what you think of my off-season coverage and transactions. It wasn't smooth sailing, but I believe my roster to be better than last season, and I have maintained pretty decent cap flexibility as well. If you have any queries, tips, trade advice, etc then just post away. I'm also keen to see what you guys think of the Arenas trade. I know some of you will think I ripped them, but I think I've helped them salary cap wise.

Anyway, I'm out....
X
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:59 pm

If you've jumped straight to page 4 head back to page 3 for Free Agency coverage to see how I got to where I am now....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Micchy_boy on Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:38 am

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
your off-season coverage is simply the best
it will tough act to follow since i'm almost on off-season coverage :wink:
Micchy's Lakers Dynasty l 2nd Season w/ NLSC BALLERS l
Micchy_boy

Postby Jing on Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:38 am

oh wow. you had a lot of space on your roster...
and superb job getting arenas, he's great. amazng offseason is right.
and the rookie scouting is very nicely done as well
Jing

Postby The X on Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:26 pm

:chug: guys, I can finally have a :beer: ....

don't worry Micchy, I'm sure your off-season will be great....I set the bar high so you can jump over it....I wouldn't expect you to follow suit with such in-depth coverage as it took a lot of work and you do a bucket load with all your recaps....but I'm glad everyone seemed to appreciate it....the only thing I think that could have been better in my coverage was presentation....I don't even want to imagine what cocobee and all you other guys would make it with your great looks and graphics and so on....

I'm gonna get the 2nd season started tonight....will post the last few signings when they happen....

X
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby J@3 on Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:38 pm

Wow... I reckon this is probably the best Dynasty around at the moment. Great work.
J@3

Postby cocobee on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:49 pm

Great Off Season! Arenas will do well for you. (Y)
cocobee
America's Team

Postby Goldberg on Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:05 am

Awesome job!

Arenas was a good deal for both teams for the reasons you mentioned. I would say it was realistic enough.

I noticed B. Knight signed with Heat at 995K for 1 season. He might have been a good backup PG for Arenas for season two.

Good luck. You plan to play every game, or sim a third of them, or something else?
Goldberg

Postby The X on Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:58 pm

Jae™ wrote:Wow... I reckon this is probably the best Dynasty around at the moment. Great work.

haha, I doubt it....it doesn't match up to micchyboy's and cocobee's dynasties IMHO, but either way, I'll take it :cool: I guess it means that my effort on doing off-season coverage paid off....now that off-season is over, I'll just be back to another same old, same old dynasties until off-season time next season :headbang:

cocobee wrote:Great Off Season! Arenas will do well for you. (Y)

:chug: , will be waiting for my guy to get drafted in '10 draft to see another Kiwi take the league by storm (following in the foots of Sean Marks :roll: )

As for Arenas, yeah, he's really nice....it's unusual to have such a profilic scoring PG after playing with Brevin Knight and Jason Hart for the last season....Arenas blew up in the first game of the season (a 4th quarter intervention) as he had a franchise-high 41pts and made a franchise-high 13 FT's....all this in his 1st game as a Bobcats....good things are on the way for the Bobcats I'd say once I can get this team gelling....

But my most surprising and thus, probably MVP has been none other than Luke Walton. I've now got the Great White Hope (and he has been that for me) starting at PF most games (unless Tim Duncan, Amare Stoudamire or some other beasty PF would be his matchup, then Melvin Ely starts)....The Great White Hope has been averaging about 9.5ppg (4th on team), 5.5rpg (4th on team), 4.5apg (1st on team) and he seems to be a clutch 4th quarter player.....

Goldberg wrote:Awesome job!

Arenas was a good deal for both teams for the reasons you mentioned. I would say it was realistic enough.

I noticed B. Knight signed with Heat at 995K for 1 season. He might have been a good backup PG for Arenas for season two.

Good luck. You plan to play every game, or sim a third of them, or something else?

I'll take any compliment I can get from a guy named Goldberg :wink:

but it's good to see a comment on whether you guys thought trade was too lopsided or not....I'm always trying to keep the dynasty realistic....I thought if I posted the trade without showing the Wizards' background (2nd worst record in league, over cap, etc) that it wouldn't look realistic....as for the guys that the Wizards got, Brezec and Robinson aren't playing, however, Ronald Murray is playing a 6th man role (averaging like 13ppg off bench), with Juan Dixon stepping into PG spot and playing real good ball (not as good as Arenas, but not too far off considering)....

yeah, Brevin Knight signed with the Heat....and yes, in hindsight, maybe I should have re-signed him but I concentrated on signing others and he got forgotten :oops: I was hoping I could sign the other free agents first and then get him cheap, but I didn't give him the respect he probably deserved....it's alright though, as you will see below, I signed Steve Blake to league minimum....he'll be the backup PG and should fit in nicely....and I think that Tshibaka kid (undrafted rookie) will develop into a solid PG, but I'm going to give him time....

as with my first season, I am playing 1/3, intervening in 4th quarter in 1/3 (regardless of if I'm up by 3, down by 7 or down by 30), and simming the final 1/3 of them....because the last game of season 1 was a played game, my 1st game of season 2 I intervened in the 4th quarter, 2nd game simmed, 3rd game played and so on....it speeds the whole process up....I'm already half way through November and will definitely finish this season faster than the others....

cheers for all the comments....

regards,
X
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:49 pm

FINAL ROSTER TRANSACTIONS PRIOR TO SEASON OPENER

Bobcats Get Green With Envy (and give a little Green in the process)

The Charlotte Bobcats sign Willie Green to a 4 year, $7.6 million dollar deal.

ImageThe 'Cats originally set their sights on DeJuan Wagner but the 'Cats didn't have the cap space to sign him so they set their sights on ex-Detroit Uni star and ex-76er combo guard Willie Green. After trying to get him to sign a 2 or 3 year deal to no avail, I finally relented and gave him a 4 year deal (he was after a 5 year one) at $1.9 mill per year.

I actually think Willie Green is a better fit to the team than DeJuan Wagner as Wagner was a bit short at SG (6'2") and would have had to play more time at PG. At the moment, Willie Green is a poor man's Bobby Jackson. If Green can get anywhere near Jackson's impact for the Bobcats then they got themselves a steal. I'd say Green will mostly backup at SG, but might swing over to PG at times.

Backup Arrives for Arenas

Charlotte added another ex-Wizard to their roster as they signed PG Steve Blake to a 1 year deal at league minimum, $695,000.

ImageSteve Blake will resume his role that he had with the Wizards in his rookie season, the primary backup PG to Gilbert Arenas. While he won't jump out at you, I think Blake will be steady off the bench, make his open shots and not make too many mistakes. That's all I really need at this point and on this budget, so he fits in well with my gameplan.

Veteran reinforces frontline

Well-travelled bigman Othella Harrington was signed to a 1 year deal at league minimum, $1 million.

ImageHarrington has been brought in to provide solid play off the bench at the PF and C positions. I think the team needed a veteran to help all the youngster on the roster. Harrington should be the 2nd or 3rd big man off the bench, depending upon the starting lineup I use.

Former Villanova star signs with Bobcats

The Charlotte Bobcats sign PF/C Michael Bradley to a 1 year deal at league minimum, $720,000.

ImageBradley is on the roster purely as insurance in case of injury to one of the big men. He likely will sit the majority of the season on the IR. I flirted with the idea of signing SF Trevor Ariza, but eventually decided to add extra depth upfront. If however, one of my SF's goes down with injury, I'll definitely consider releasing Bradley and signing Ariza.

See all the transactions in October below

The Bobcats' opening night roster:

The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:57 pm

okay, so my rosters finalised for now....I wanna see how it pans out....

also, I updated team/player records on page 1, as well as updating the new standings for the Bobby Phills Memorial Medallion (BPMM)....

also guys, anyone else who wants to be in this year's draft, need your cyberface and profile ASAP as I've already scouted Africa....I'll post that update soon....Asia (and MicchyBoy will probably come just after November recap)....

and to any of you guys who I don't have a profile for (Melo & HonorGlow), I need them ASAP, especially your one Melo as Europe will be scouted after Asia....

anyone with cyberfaces for college and European draftees, I would appreciate them immensely so I can add some real-life draftees in there....so far I only got Andrew Bogut's one....

email is just_x@ihug.com.au

if you guys have any requests on how teams are going or certain players etc then post away....

X
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Ataraxia on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:00 am

nice man......cant help but notice u put a Kiwi in there :P......but very good coverage on the off-season.....ive really cut down on watching dynasties/following dynasties and become addicted to general/nba talk.....but its prolly cause at one time their were just too many dynasties popping up.....but its dynasties like yours, micchy_boy's, jae's and sit's(not even sure if Mafia and Cocobee still have running dynasties)....that make someone wanna come and post here. :P (Y)
Ataraxia

Postby The X on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:04 am

yep, definitely had to add the Kiwi in there....well there's actually 2 in there :wink: , me (Andrew Watson, 31st pick in 2005 draft) and Marks....

I think Mafia's is still going on this site and as for Cocobee's, go over to dotorg dynasty forum to see it....it's not as detailed as the one he had here, but still is nonetheless top notch, and he even has video highlights....

on a side note, I love those old-school NZ Cricket team one-day tops....you know the ones I'm talking about, the biege ones....I'm definitely gonna have to get myself one....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Ataraxia on Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:12 am

I revived the cricket thread for u to talk abt Cricket :P
Ataraxia

Postby Micchy_boy on Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:10 am

nice nice players addition.
your rosters don't look impressive in paper but i know they will do good in this season...
Good Luck bro.... Hope you reach the playoffs so we can see another great recap but this time a PLAYOFF RECAP.

by the way... you still need some info about me....
coz its all in the dbf files i gave you....
and to add, make me a SG with good mid-range jumper, great defensive awareness and stealing...
Micchy_boy

Postby The X on Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:01 am

yeah, I did get that info out of the dbf file....although hmmm....Asia's a bit weak on the SG's....although there is one who pretty much fits that bill but he's a projected 2nd rounder and it is a very weak draft this season, so don't want to have NLSC players too low, no lower than 1st Round etc....

has seraph shown how to edit dbf's to increase draftee ratings etc yet?!? I just don't wanna do too much messing so I don't screw it up....but if there is a safe way to edit the dbf to pump up this draftees ratings a tad and move him up the draft order then I don't mind doing that....

let me know....and yeah, although the team doesn't look impressive on paper, I'm running on a 75% cap whereas most others team are running on a 150% cap, and I got 2 star players with role players around them....Korver is playing pretty well too, 3rd on team in scoring so far (14.5ppg) and I think he is 1st or 2nd on the team in steals (1.80spg). Just an example of a cheap role player stepping in nicely....

and if you're reading this HonorGlow, I'm expecting to have a better Birdie Score this season for sure....also next game up is against Honor-ism and the Supersonics....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby cocobee on Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:15 am

Save an extra dynasty "save". Use that as your "experimental" dbf. If it works then use it in your real dynasty.Hope that helps. (Y)
cocobee
America's Team

Postby The X on Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:20 am

yep, I always have 2 backups....yeah, I might play around a little and see what I can do....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:44 pm

Entering the 2005/06 season there are more expectations on this Bobcats' team than in 2004/05. With the acquisition of Gilbert Arenas and others, anything short than a run at a low seed in the playoffs will be considered a disappointment.

NOVEMBER 2005 SUMMARY

The team opened the season well with a 117-113 win over the LA Clippers in which freshly signed PG Gilbert Arenas blew up for a franchise record 41pts. This first up performance created a lot of buzz on how good this team might be. Unfortunately the buzz did not last as the 'Cats dropped 7 straight to fall to 1-7. Although better offensively, the team seemed to lack that defensive cohesiveness that helped it win ball games last season. It should come as no surprise that the owner was none to happy with this.

The kick up the player's backside appeared to work as they played an exceptional game against the Knicks only to fall down at the last hurdle. Again the problem was defense. And to top this off, one of the worst possible situations arose as the Bobcats not only lost Melvin Ely to injury, but also 2nd year sensation Emeka Okafor as well.

This meant that for the rest of the month of November, the Bobcats were playing short-handed as they had to start rookie Guy Dumars and had to activate scrubs Sean Marks and Michael Bradley to help out in the time of need.

These injuries appeared to doom the Bobcats who were playing 2 out of their next 3 games against Shaq and the Miami Heat. However, the opposite happened. The team rallied behind the strong play of rookie Guy Dumars (14.3ppg, 13.7rpg & 2.0bpg in Okafor and Ely's absense), PG Gilbert Arenas, as well as guys like Luke Walton, Kyle Korver and Willie Green. The undermanned 'Cats went on to win their next 2 and were unlucky to lose the last game of the month, a return trip to Miami.

The Bobcats ended the month 3-9, which sounds and is dismally below expectations. However, the inspired play of the last 4 games of the month has the team looking forward to getting back on track. The emergence of rookie Guy Dumars means that he will likely stay in the starting lineup at C, and when Okafor returns, he will return at his natural position of PF, with Luke Walton moving into a 6th man role.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:58 pm

THE MONTH THAT WAS FOR THE 'CATS

Bobcats Among League Leaders

G- Gilbert Arenas - 22.1ppg (14th in NBA), 32 3Pt Made (5th in NBA), 53 FT Made (12th in NBA)
F/C- Emeka Okafor - 12.0rpg (5th in NBA), 2.11bpg (13th in NBA), 54.3% FG (18th in NBA)
G/F- Eric Piatowski - 60.0% 3Pt (3rd in NBA)
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:06 pm

AROUND THE LEAGUE (NOV '05)

STANDINGS

EASTERN CONFERENCE

WESTERN CONFERENCE

AWARDS

EASTERN CONFERENCE

WESTERN CONFERENCE

MVP WATCH

Last edited by The X on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:31 pm

NLSC PLAYER UPDATE (NOV '05)

This is a monthly section that will highlight different NLSC Players each month. As there is only one NLSC Player at the moment (me :P ), for this season it will just be a short recap of what my guy is doing. Once next season (06/07) rolls over, I'd say that this piece will hold a bit more interest to you guys.

SG- Andrew Watson (The X), 6'2", 220lbs (31st pick in the 2005 NBA Draft by Charlotte)

Picked with the 1st pick of the 2nd Round by the Charlotte Bobcats, Andrew Watson is currently buried deep on the Bobcats' bench. At present, Watson only plays in garbage time. The Bobcats expect good things out of Watson and as he learns the NBA game, he is expected to play more and use his limitless shooting range to his advantage in the league.

Andrew Watson's 2005/06 Stats:
1.2ppg, 0.3rpg, 0.3apg
0.80 NBA Efficiency Rating
0.64 Raw Birdie Score
0.32 Weighted Birdie Score
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:38 pm

PIC OF THE MONTH

OKAFOR THE ENFORCER

Okafor owns Rashard Lewis as he gets that soft crap out of there

OKAFOR THE FRAGILE

Okafor injures himself in a loss against the Knicks. He will miss 2 weeks. How will the 'Cats survive without arguably their best player?!?
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:42 pm

Okay, my monthly summary for November is completed....I hope you enjoyed....I'm expecting the team to turn around in December :shifty:

On page 1 of the thread I've also updated the current leaders in BPMM Scoreboard, the Team/Individual Records and my current roster lineup....

I'll probably have a scouting report for Africa in next couple of days I'd say....

X
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Micchy_boy on Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:08 am

nice updates,
okafor's injury looks like a blessing in disguise. maybe with Guy at center and Okafor at PF, things will change positively for your team. Luke will give you a spark from the bench.

Good luk for your next month schedule
Also try giving Watson more minutes to show his stuff, i think he will be okey :wink:
Micchy_boy

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame