Disc Read Errors (Xbox 360)

Talk about NBA Live 09 here.

Disc Read Errors (Xbox 360)

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:53 am

I went to play last night and ran into a disc read error for the first time (with Live 09 or any game on my Xbox 360) and upon checking my disc I did notice a few scratches, despite the fact I take good care of DVDs and CDs. After a few troubleshooting attempts failed I resolved to get a replacement under the disc guarantee I got at EB for an extra $5 and swapped my original copy - which had been working since October without any problems - for a new copy, while also renewing my guarantee. Unfortunately, the same disc read error is popping up with the brand new disc, which is frustrating to say the least.

I've tested out my other games and have no problems (I've been playing Fallout 3 for hours at a time without any trouble) so it seems unlikely that the drive itself is damaged. I've contacted EA about it and hopefully will get a response soon but I was wondering if anyone else is encountering similar problems at the moment or if anyone has had any problems with a bad run of discs and replacement discs? I thought perhaps there was an error with the ESPN content or maybe even a saved file or the Live 365 roster but it seems unlikely and disabling those features didn't seem to resolve anything.

If anyone has had problems after the most recent 365 update though I'd be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing problems after downloading the latest updates as that's something we should report to EA ASAP. If you've got any experiences with disc read errors (particularly with NBA Live 09 and getting new discs) then please let me know too. It's quite frustrating, especially with the brand new disc doing the same thing and the fact I've had no problems up until now.

UPDATE: Gave troubleshooting another shot and this time clearing the cache fixed things up. If anyone else has similar problems, I'd certainly recommend that. Note that it clears any official updates you've downloaded for all games though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Disc Read Errors (Xbox 360)

Postby Greazy Beast on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Actually, i have
it's so weird the only way i can prevent it is if as soon as the game starts and im done loading into the academy i quickly go to where i need to go like dynasty or quick game for example, and if i take to long it keeps happening
can you explain how i can prevent this or what's causing this, cause this is terribly ruining my gameplay.
Greazy Beast

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Sure, these are the steps that EA's tech support gave me:

1. Locate the System section of the Xbox 360 Dashboard.
2. Select Memory, select Hard Drive, and then press Y to view the device options screen.
3. On the Controller, press the X, Left Bumper, and Right Bumper buttons in this order: X, X, LB, RB, X, X
4. You will be prompted to confirm system maintenance, select Yes by pressing A.

Again, if you've downloaded any mandatory official updates for any of your games, they'll all be deleted. You'll be prompted to download them again next time you play the game however.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Greazy Beast on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 am

oh alright, but does that mean all my saves will be deleted as well?
such as game saves or replays for games like 2k9 or live 09
Greazy Beast

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 am

Oh no, those are saved to your hard drive so those aren't cleared unless you go in and delete them yourself. That's one of the other things they suggested to me though, that sometimes a corrupted saved game or settings file is causing the problem. Clearing the cache will most likely fix it though, unless the disc itself is badly scratched or otherwise damaged; it sounds like you're having the same problem I did though so I'd recommend clearing the cache before anything else.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby tech670 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:31 am

I noticed this thread and wanted to post to help anyone having trouble with this error. The xbox 360 disc read error effects many people. And, It isn't that hard to fix. There are some tutorials online, but I prefer the guides since they go over many common Xbox 360 errors and make things very simple and easy to understand. Here is a resource regarding this error and xbox 360 troubleshooting:

Xbox 360 disc read problem and how to fix it yourself
tech670

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Of all the bot posts, that one might be the most helpful. :lol:

If anyone does run into the problem again though, the solution I tried all those months back should fix the problem.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 09