Anybody else try NBA Live 09 All-Play for the Wii?

Talk about NBA Live 09 here.

Anybody else try NBA Live 09 All-Play for the Wii?

Postby JumpmanJordan on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:56 am

Haven't seen any topics about this version since it was released, so I was just wondering if anybody here other than myself has tried out NBA Live All-Play for the Nintendo Wii? If so, what are your impressions?

My girl just bought a Wii and picked up Live 09 for me to have something to play, so I've been putting some time in on it. I started off playing an exhibition game without adjusting anything, so initially I was turned off by the game. Childish screens popping up saying "nice dunk!", tips telling you when to dunk, etc. and the rules are turned off. Controls were also somewhat confusing at first, but I got a hold of them about three quarters of the way through my first game. After my first game I found you could turn off the childish screens that pop up during gameplay after you perform a dunk or nice play, as well as turn the in-game tips off. I then turned the NBA rules on, changed the difficulty level to "superstar" and was ready to give the game another shot.

Much more enjoyable after making these adjustments, the game is actually somewhat challenging when increasing the difficulty level to the toughest. Turning off the screens that pop up geared toward children also enhance gameplay for simulation players. I also took an hour or two and manually updated the rosters, as all non next-gen versions of the game need a major overhaul.

There are also a ton of mini-games included in this version, and doing the slam dunk contest, although difficult, is fun... just make sure you have some room because you've got to make some strange movements rather quickly. WNBA players are also featured in the game, doesn't really enhance the game in my opinion but I guess they added them for the children as the Wii doesn't really seem like a system geared towards adults.

Overall I really enjoy this game. It's not touching Xbox 360 or PS3, but it is something fun to play.

The game looks and feels extremely similar, almost indentical, to NBA Live 2004 for the Sony PlayStation 2.
JumpmanJordan

Re: Anybody else try NBA Live 09 All-Play for the Wii?

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:00 pm

I don't have a Wii so I haven't tried it. Sounds alright but not really the experience I look for in basketball games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JumpmanJordan on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:31 am

Andrew wrote:I don't have a Wii so I haven't tried it. Sounds alright but not really the experience I look for in basketball games.

Oh, me too. Best believe I'll be sticking to 2K9 on my 360, I'm just glad to have a somewhat enjoyable NBA game away from home.
JumpmanJordan

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:35 pm

True, sometimes those alternative experiences can be enjoyable. I'm still a fan of the old NBA Jam games and more recently NBA Street, they're different approaches to basketball games and they're fun.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 09