Your thoughts, one month later

Talk about NBA Live 09 here.

Your thoughts, one month later

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:27 pm

So NBA Live 09 has been out for just over a month and we've had a couple of weeks of NBA Live 365 updates. What are you thoughts? Has anyone's opinions changed?

My thoughts on the PS2 version haven't changed, that version is a complete mess and with all due respect to people still playing games on the PS2, it needs to be scrapped. I still like the Xbox 360 version very much though, it's not perfect and there are still things that can be added and elements that can be improved but it is the best NBA Live on the current generation of platforms to date. Some people might say that's not saying very much but I feel that NBA Live 09 plays a good game of basketball and remains customisable enough to give satisfactory results to a good number of even the geekiest of us. I'm sure not everyone will agree, but I really like this year's game.

NBA Live 365 has been a bit of a mixed bag so far. In terms of providing us with the latest lineups and DNA updates, it's been working fairly well after that initial hiccup (which was pretty unfortunate for EA as I'd say it lost them some face given the hype surrounding 365) but even so it hasn't been all smooth sailing. As of today, all newly added players have correct bio data (instead of all being 6'6") but those corrections have come a littler slower than expected and there are still database issues with Oklahoma City's team name and the previous season records for the Bulls and Bobcats. I understand those issues are known and should be fixed up though. The real injury status aspect of the updates had good intentions but is totally unsuitable for Dynasty play, I hope they correct that in future updates as well. I still think 365 is a worthwhile feature and far superior to the official roster updates in previous years but those issues really do need to be ironed out.

In short, I remain impressed and find myself enjoying the game, as well as hoping that the hinted at return to PC will involve a port of this version and not the broken down game that PS2 users are getting. 365 still needs polishing up but I remain optimistic that it will fulfil its potential in the long run.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Your thoughts, one month later

Postby fjccommish on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:23 am

I want to try it before I would buy a 360 Console and the game, but nobody has it to try because of the issue with Live 365 being connected to gamertags and only being free for people who own the game.

So now what? How does someone considering buying a console to play this game try it?
fjccommish

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 am

An in-store demo console is about the only thing that comes to mind, unless there are some other Xbox 360 games you'd consider buying the console to play (thus your decision wouldn't be based on NBA Live 09).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby fjccommish on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:49 am

"An in-store demo console is about the only thing that comes to mind, unless there are some other Xbox 360 games you'd consider buying the console to play (thus your decision wouldn't be based on NBA Live 09)."

Stores around here aren't showing it because they don't want to open a box. It's the 365 issue of only being free for the original owner.
fjccommish

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:25 am

Well, yeah, it's kind of difficult to get a proper demonstration of NBA Live 365 in a few hours gameplay but if it's simply hands-on time with the game you're after, they needn't enter the 365 activation code. It's possible to play NBA Live 09 without activating NBA Live 365.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby fjccommish on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:18 am

Four different Gamestops would not load the game on PS3 or XBox 360 for me to see. One had an open copy, but would not load it. They offered to show me the box.

Three different Walmarts won't load it to try.

None of these places accept returns, but none of them will let someone try it. For someone who is looking to purchase a 360 or PS3 based on this game, there don't seem to be options to try it.

...Found a solution...

igames.org lists game centers. There's one near me where I can download the demo to try it.
fjccommish

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:40 am

Jeez, so much for going out of the way to get your business, especially given that they don't have to enter the code and render it useless for someone to try out the game (and the console).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby fjccommish on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 am

At the last store the guy who offered to let me see the box said "I'm sorry." I replied "you should be, because you're the one losing the business."
fjccommish

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:07 am

Well said. I guess if you're a big enough chain/franchise you don't worry about one customer here or there, which is a shame. Surely it couldn't have put them out too much and even if you don't end up buying the game, you still come away impressed with the service. It's not the guy's fault if he just works there and is following procedure but it's a procedure that they should perhaps re-think nevertheless.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby planbzimp on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:38 am

Now that I have nba2k9 on PC I can compare these games hands-on. Without any trashtalking Ill get straight to comments on live09.

Live09 was a fantastic game coming out of the box. I was really impressed by the nba academy drills, being able to warmup as the game opens up or when its loading and especially graphics. The large range of animations for layups was also something that was much improved from the previous titles. Sig shots make players different from one another, which also affected the release of shooting with different players - made shooting jump shots more fun by having to concentrate on the way the player shot the ball.

Thanks EA for releasing the patch for fixing shooting %'s and the delayed blocking animations. This fix took care of some of the issues that I had with the game.

Here are a couple of draw backs of live09 that in my opinion makes 2k9 have a slight edge over live09 this year. First of all, I have to share that I do have fun with playing both games and I do feel that they are really different games. Anyway one of the main things that live needs attention on is AI defense - in particular to helpside defense. I often find that my AI teammates don't provide enough of help on defense (ie. recover or switch on defense when I'm beat off the dribble). Double team effectiveness is pretty poor aswell. Rarely do ball carriers get pressured enough to stop their dribble or get pressured into commiting turnovers. Ball carriers completely ignore double teams and often make shots in these situations which is unrealistic and frustrating.
planbzimp

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:26 am

I'd have to agree, though Playmakers has said that with a bit of tweaking to the ratings and sliders you can improve the helpside defense somewhat.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 09