nba live 09 vs. nba 2k9

Talk about NBA Live 09 here.

nba live 09 vs. nba 2k9

Postby wargreymon54321 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:32 am

I'm just wondering you people think about these two games. which one do you think is better?
i've been live fan for a long time until last 2 years.. then i switched to 2k series and found it better at gameplay and more real.
this year, it seems that its a close game between the two. i haven't played the demos yet and the games are already out.. im wondering what every one of you think about these two games since its already out and you've prbaboly tried it..
wargreymon54321

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:39 am

I haven't picked up 2K9 yet but you can read some impressions other people have posted in the NBA 2K Series section. We'll be doing an NBA Live 09 vs NBA 2K9 comparison at some point in the near future.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby afive on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:25 am

You know, I used to play nothing but Live on PC. After getting PS3 and buying 2k7, I have never looked back, I was amazed by how much better the gameplay was; just how many more features it had.

Coming from NBA2k8 to NBA2k9 is ....wow..... Graphics are better, post play is top notch, inside game is just as good as it gets. Association mode has got a major boost, MAJOR. They created a website type blog for your dynasty, where there are news left and right, with screenshots from EVERY game, not just yours. During the intermissions, fouls, you get to see awesome replays of players that are hot and such; this is a terrific feature.

From playing NBA Live 09 at buddys house, I have to tell you this... 2k9 is leaps and bounds ahead of it. While Live 09 is way better than previous Lives, it's still not even remotely close to the level of the 2k9. For one, it's missing many features in Dynasty mode which NBA 2k9 has.

Live 09 has plenty to offer, but the gameplay doesn't feel very authentic. Post game is still pretty basic, dunking is very easy. Gameplay in 2k9 has got a major boost. From extra moves, to in-air control. More crossover moves allow for realistic shots which great players can really hit.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, NBA 2k9>NBA Live 09 in every aspect. I know that this is a live forum, you will have more live fans here. But, if you are looking for the best Basketball sim game, you can't go wrong with 2k9.
afive

Postby kingjames23 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:04 am

LIVE09 dribble control on right analog stick > 2K9 shooting on right analog stick

pretty much sums up my feelings there
kingjames23

Postby ps3owner on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:17 am

i never liked the cameras that the 2k series have.
ps3owner

Postby xKrNMBoYx on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:29 am

kingjames23 wrote:LIVE09 dribble control on right analog stick > 2K9 shooting on right analog stick

lol if that was your only problem you could have known you can switch it so that the dribble control is on right analog instead of using at a shot stick..if u truly would have tried it..

but right now 2k has a lot of glitches..until they are fixed it wont be a full game

ps3owner wrote:i never liked the cameras that the 2k series have.

you also if that was the only problem and you really tried 2k out you would also know that there is over 10 different types of camera angles on 2k basketball games..they have all the views of live..and more
xKrNMBoYx

Postby ps3owner on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:26 pm

xKrNMBoYx wrote:
kingjames23 wrote:LIVE09 dribble control on right analog stick > 2K9 shooting on right analog stick

lol if that was your only problem you could have known you can switch it so that the dribble control is on right analog instead of using at a shot stick..if u truly would have tried it..

but right now 2k has a lot of glitches..until they are fixed it wont be a full game

ps3owner wrote:i never liked the cameras that the 2k series have.

you also if that was the only problem and you really tried 2k out you would also know that there is over 10 different types of camera angles on 2k basketball games..they have all the views of live..and more

i have already tried it man. when i first got 2k w/c is nba 2k4 you can never edit the roster particularly the number. how realistic is that. the moves are realistic but the numbers aren't. second i never liked their camera settings. until now. i'm sorry man but to each his own.

fyi i bought 2k5 and 2k6 when i was still in the philippines and i never liked them. although a lot of people are saying that the moves are realistic.
ps3owner

Postby ps3owner on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:30 pm

the past versions of nba live have a broadcast camera similar to the past and present versions of nba 2k. it got to the point that the camera's became bad particularly in nba live 2002. it's a good thing that they came up with pressbox in nba live 2003. i don't know if nba 2k9 has also the same type of camera. that's the camera that i prefer. based on the demo that i played on nba 2k9 i didn't like their camera settings.
ps3owner

Postby xKrNMBoYx on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:25 am

What do you mean "edit the roster particticularly the number."

and the the camera i dont know why you wouldnt like the camera settings if it has the live ones also..

the cross overs are a bit harder i admit that..they have more signature styles for 2k..atleast the superstars..but they have a tutorial now in the game for practice so they teach you how to do every types of layup, plays, defense, boxing out, etc..just takes a long time..

the demo only gives one type of camera settings..in the full game..i just counted and there is 15 different type of views..and each one you can change the zoom, height, key zoom, make it reverse angle, auto flip, fix height..they have 2 or 3 different types of broadcast views but the 2 are called different ..you can edit them and make it the view you want..
xKrNMBoYx

Postby xKrNMBoYx on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:26 am

These are the camera type names

Broadcast
Parametric
Press
Player Lock
Action
Nosebleeds
Skybox
Side
Drive
Showtime
Wire
High
(l)Iso
Coach View
xKrNMBoYx

Postby Morzikei on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:33 am

You are all very lucky... Even if I wanted to buy an NBA 2k game, I couldn't, because all we have here in Lithuania is NBA Live (but I sometimes do find NHL 2k games)... I don't know, maybe this is something we agreed to (a monopoly) for having Sabonis featured on the cover of NBA Live 2001 (good game, but tends to crash my PC)... right now, however, even if I had a PS3 or Xbox360 and had the choice, I would take NBA Live 09 - national teams... I bought UEFA Euro 2008 for them, even with Lithuania's roster all fake and stuff (luckily, almost fixable(9 letters max)... guess EA really cared about not getting the licenses, all with the grammatically correct names and the edit function)...
Morzikei

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:45 pm

You could always import 2K if you were keen to have it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby xKrNMBoYx on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:06 pm

import?...u mean him import 2k for pc?

oh wait you mean import the game from another country..

btw Andrew

im a bit worried..this forum has been getting smaller and more quiet lately..i remember when I came here first in live 07 after learning how to "use" the pc..it was so active
xKrNMBoYx

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 pm

I don't know what you're talking about, by the numbers there's been more activity in this section in the past week then there has been in the last couple of months. There's probably a little less than normal given there's no PC version but getting "smaller and more quiet"? Quite the opposite, I have no idea where you've got that idea from. :?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Playmakers on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:31 pm

IMO all fans of basketball should have both titles this year.

But coming from huge NBA Live fan, 2K9 is the better overall game. In fact i'll go out on limb and say it's the best basketball game i've ever played to date.

But again both games are most owns in you love B-Ball
Now Playing

Madden 10/NCAA Football 10

Currently working on NCAA Football 10 Alumni Rosters
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/n ... sters.html
Playmakers

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 pm

Playmakers wrote:IMO all fans of basketball should have both titles this year.

But coming from huge NBA Live fan, 2K9 is the better overall game. In fact i'll go out on limb and say it's the best basketball game i've ever played to date.

But again both games are most owns in you love B-Ball

I completely agree. 2K9 has a learning curve that can cause frustration to users who like the pick-up-and-play factor of NBA Live 09 and it's simpler control, but 2k9 can be rewarding you once you are familiar. I still hope a nice patch or two is on the way. I will probably be using NBA Live for online play mostly, and running an association in 2k9.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby megidoflare on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:02 am

xKrNMBoYx wrote:What do you mean "edit the roster particticularly the number."

i think he means the jersey numbers of the players.

YUP, I AGREE that you cannot edit the jersey numbers of the players, which is a real pain in the butt for me. in 2k7 when i put iverson in the nuggets, i didn't know that dermarr johnson had the #3, so iverson had the number 6 (i think) . i wanted to edit the jersey number but sadly, i could not.

is it still like it this year? if it is then it sucks. i agree that 2k is more realistic, though. :shock:
megidoflare

Postby ps3owner on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:32 am

xKrNMBoYx wrote:What do you mean "edit the roster particticularly the number."

and the the camera i dont know why you wouldnt like the camera settings if it has the live ones also..

the cross overs are a bit harder i admit that..they have more signature styles for 2k..atleast the superstars..but they have a tutorial now in the game for practice so they teach you how to do every types of layup, plays, defense, boxing out, etc..just takes a long time..

the demo only gives one type of camera settings..in the full game..i just counted and there is 15 different type of views..and each one you can change the zoom, height, key zoom, make it reverse angle, auto flip, fix height..they have 2 or 3 different types of broadcast views but the 2 are called different ..you can edit them and make it the view you want..

i'm referring to the jersey numbers.
ps3owner

Postby ps3owner on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:34 am

xKrNMBoYx wrote:These are the camera type names

Broadcast
Parametric
Press
Player Lock
Action
Nosebleeds
Skybox
Side
Drive
Showtime
Wire
High
(l)Iso
Coach View

i'm sorry but i never liked them. I believe that this thread is about posting one's opinion on both games. Like I've said to each his own.
ps3owner

Postby xKrNMBoYx on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:29 am

ok you dont like them and i totally except your opinions and others. Otherwise I'd be going crazy here like it is in the 2K forums.

btw yes you can edit the player jersey numbers, I dont know why you would think you cant..unless a previous version that i have not played had it so it was not possible

i just edited mario chalmers number from 0 to 6...like 3 days ago or 4
xKrNMBoYx

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:54 am

Apparently it wasn't possible in 2K7, I didn't play that version though so I can't speak from experience.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby megidoflare on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Andrew wrote:Apparently it wasn't possible in 2K7, I didn't play that version though so I can't speak from experience.

Ohhh ok... Well I'll just have to see for myself.

BTW, I'm talking about the PS2 version here, so if it is now possible to edit the jersey numbers in 2K9, that would be awesome (Y)
megidoflare

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:54 pm

I'd be surprised if you still couldn't but I've only played the 2K9 demo for the 360 so I'm not actually sure about that.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby xKrNMBoYx on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:45 am

yea im not sure of the ps2 version i can try asking at the 2k forums.unless ur already registered there then i dont have to
xKrNMBoYx

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:28 am

I don't post at any 2K Forums myself, perhaps someone else around these parts does or has the answer to the question already.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 09