2k9 Moves List

Talk about NBA 2K9 here, as well as all previous games in the NBA 2K series.

2k9 Moves List

Postby BadWolf on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:57 pm

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/nba-2k/272310-official-moves-list.html

for ps3 substitute:

L2=LT
R2=RT
L1=LB
R2=RB
square=X
triangle=Y
circle=B
X=A

Here are some of the in game tutorial moves.

The Tutorials are:
-Movement & Shooting (basic stuff).
-Isomotion (Important so I didn't skip anything).
-Post Moves (I might do this later today. Typing helps me remember. lol.)
-Passing & Defense
-Dual Player & Coaching.
and
-Off-Ball Control.

***SHOOTING***

-Bank shot
Pull and Hold LT and move the RS (or press X) to direct the ball towards the backboard for a bank shot. The player will only use bank shots from within proper angles to the basket.

-Layup
When dribbling towards the basket, move the RS either to the left or the right side of the basket.

-Floater
when dribbling towards the basket, move the RS away from the basket to throw a floater.

-Reverse Layup
When dribbling towards the basket along the baseline, you can reform a reverse layup by moving the RS toward the baseline direction.

-Reverse Dunk
While dribbling towards the basket, pull and hold RT and move the RS away from the basket.

***SHOT STICK EXTREME***

-Changing Shot
You can change your shot while in midair to avoid a potential block. while the player is in the air to preform a dunk or layup, quickly move the RS in any direction to change your shot.

***ISOMOTION***

-Crossover
Pull and hold RT and quickly move the LS towards the opposite ball hand to perform a Crossover. For example, with th ball in the right hand, quickly move the LS toward the player's left hand.

-Double Cross
Pull and hold RT and quickly move the LS towards the opposite ball hand and then back to the ball hand direction.

-In & Out
Pull and hold RT + LT and quickly move the LS towards the opposite ball hand and then back to the ball hand direction.

-Half Spin
Pull and hold LT + RT, nd move the LS toward the player's facing direction. Then quickly move the LS to the opposite direction.

-Spin
Pull and hold RT, and rotate the LS in a half-circle starting from the ball hand to the opposite hand (going around the player' back).

-Behind the Back
Pull and hold LT + RT, and rotate the LS in a half-circle starting from the ball hand to the opposite hand (going around player's back).

-Sizeup
While standing, pull and release LT to perform a Sizeup move.

-Stutter
While standing, pull and release RT to perform a Stutter move.

-Quick Hesitation
Same as stutter just moving.

-Hesitation Drive
Same as Quick Hesitation just driving to the basket.

-Hesitation Cross
While moving, pull and release RT and quickly move the LS towards the opposite ball hand.

-Stepback
While moving, pull and hold RT, and quickly move the LS in the opposite direction of the player's movement.

-Stop & Go
While moving, pull and hold RT, and quickly move the LS in the opposite direction of the player's movement. Then, move the LS in the initial direction that the player was moving.

-Hop Step
While moving to the basket press Y.

-Hop Step Spin
While moving towards the basket, pull and hold RT, and then press Y.

-Hop Step Away
While moving towards the basket, quickly move the LS to the opposite direction and press Y.

***TRIPLE THREAT***

-Protect Ball
With the ball and an unused dribble, pull nd hold LT + RT and move the LS opposite the player's facing direction.

-Jab Step
Same as Protect Ball but move LS toward the player's facing direction. You can Jab Step in various directions away from the pivot foot.

-Launch Left/Right
With the ball and an unused dribble, pull and hold RT and move the LS to either left or the right side. You can also use either Jab Step or Protect Ball to set up the launch moves and fake out your defender.

-Spin Launch
with the ball and an unused dribble, enter the Protect Ball stance. Pull and hold RT and move the LS opposite the player's facing direction to perform a spin.

***POST OFFENSE***
-Post Up
Pull and hold LT, then move towards the defender to post him up.

-Faceup
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While holding the ball, move the LS away from the defender.

-Hold Ball High
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While holding the ball, move the LS towardes the defender.

-Shoulder Fake
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While holding the ball, move the LS to the left or right of the defender.

-Pump Fake
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While dribbling or holding the ball, tap X or quickly move the RS in any direction. If no pivot foot has been established, you can Pump Fake to either right or left side by quickly moving the RS to the left or the right side of your player, or move the LS to the left or the right side of youe player and tap X.

-Hop Step
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While dribbling or holding the ball, press Y to perform a Hop Step.

-Dropstep
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While dribbling or holding the ball, release LT and move the LS to either the left or right side of the direction the player is facing.

-Spin
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While dribbling or holding the ball with an unused dribble, pull and hold RT and move the LS towards the opposite direction your player is currently facing.

-Pump Fake to Hop Step
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While holding the ball with an unused dribble, tap X or quickly move the RSin any direction to Pump Fake. Once the Pump Fake starts, tap Y to follow up with a Hop Step.

-Pump Fake to Hop Step Spin
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While holding the ball with an unused dribble, tap X or quickly move the RS in any Direction to Pump Fake.Once the Pump Fake starts, pull and hold RT and tap Y to follow up with a Hop Step Spin. Only players with a high Post rating (OPOSY) can perform this move. Lower rated players will perform a regular Hop Step.

-Pump Fake to Hop Step Spin (opposite side)
Same as above but once the Pump Fake starts, move the LS to the direction behind the player and tap Y to follow up with a Hop step spin. Only players with a high (OPOST) can do this.

-Pump Fake to Drive
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While holding the ball with an unused dribble, tap X or quickly move the RS in any direction to Pump Fake. Once the Pump Fake starts, release LT, pull and hold RT and move the LS towards the basket for the drive.

-Faceup Jumpshot
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While holding the ball, move the LS away from the defender to Faceup. Once the Faceup starts, press X or move the RS down and release for the jumpshot.

-Post Package Shot - Hook
Post up a defender by pulling LT, Move the RS towards the basket to perform a Hook Shot.

-Post Package Shot - Fadeaway
Post up a defender by pulling LT, Move the RS away from the basket to perform a Fadeaway.

-Post Package Shot - Roll Left
Post up a defender by pulling LT, Move the RS to the left of the player's facing direction.

-Post Package Shot - Roll Right
Post up a defender by pulling LT, Move the RS to the right of the player's facing direction.

-Up and Under (Shot Stick)
Post up a defender by pulling LT, While holding the ball, move the RS to either left or the right side of your player to initiate a Pump Fake. Once the Pump Fake starts, quickly move the RS to either left or right, towards the basket, or away from the basket to follow though with th shot. Different Up and Under moves can be performed by moving the RS in various directions after the Pump Fake.

-Up and Under (Button)
Post up a defender by pulling LT. While dribbling or holding the ball, tap X to initiate a Pump Fake. Once the Pump Fake starts, move the RS to either left or right, towards the basket, or away from the basket and then press X to follow through with the shot.

***OFF-BALL CONTROL - DEFENSE***
-Post - Fight Off
When playing off- ball defense in the post and being backed down, move the LS towards the offensive player to attempt to push him away from the basket or to prevent him from gaining a position. The effectiveness of this depends on post ratings and weight differences of both players.

-Post - (Steal (onball)
While playing on-ball defense in the post, press X to attempt a steal. You have a higher chance of success if it is timed correctly when the offensive player initiates a post move or shot.
BadWolf

Postby RayZLAL on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:53 pm

(Y) (Y)
All the rest tryin to be best in this west but only we got the man with numba #24 on the chest!

RayZLAL

Postby Scotty on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Wayne wrote:Image
How to do this first step blow-by move like D-Wade did in the game?

lol all you do is click RT and move real quick. Alternatively jab one way and move the other way real quickly is real effective for blowing by...

Wooo 2000 posts

Go Nuggets!
Scotty

Postby JWL3 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:02 am

Badwolf, you da man!
JWL3

Postby karposter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:55 am

i am buying a XBOX360 controler for my pc so i will play it like it is.
i am not buying PS3 it cost 700$ (in israel) and xbox360 i around half price but still alot.
and the game a fu**ing expansive in israel
karposter

Postby JWL3 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:19 am

JaoSming, can we sticky this topic so that people can contribute to the list of moves that can be pulled off in the post and off the dribble? It took me 10 minutes to find it again under search. Badwolf did a great job to start it off.
JWL3

Postby joejam999 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:21 am

I am in the tutorial in practice mode but I cant seem to change to the next "tip" anyone figured that out?
joejam999

Postby JaoSming on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:44 am

Split and Stickied
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby buzzy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:33 am

joejam999 wrote:I am in the tutorial in practice mode but I cant seem to change to the next "tip" anyone figured that out?

Direction pad?

I'm loving that pump fake - pump fake - up and under move. And it's really easy. When you're drivng to the basket for instance, slightly press the shot button (or slightly push the shot-stick) and while he's doing the fake, push the shot-stick in any direction and he'll do the rest of the animation. Don't do it too far away from the hoop, it will always be a hook shot.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:34 pm

joejam999 wrote:
I am in the tutorial in practice mode but I cant seem to change to the next "tip" anyone figured that out?

Direction pad?

Nope, doesn't work. You actually need to go to the main menu, select "tutorials", and it will show which one you're on right now. Select another one with the space bar.
I'm very eager to play more of the game since I had never ever played NBA 2K before and it looks very promising, but I must say the interface is already pissing me off. If you really want to make a PC port, make sure the interface is not some crappy console bullshit and is actually suited for PC controls...
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Angelo on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:00 pm

@elbadman

Dont worry if there is someone that can make some tools to edit the 2k files then we can edit those frontends that you dont like just like what we did with 08 and the other past lives
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby bensss on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:02 am

what if i don't have any gamepad or other controllers except my keyboard? can anyone post a list of moves for people like me? can i still use the triggers and shot sticks etc?

i just played my first game and seems like it's very difficult to pull off a dunk, much more, an alleyoop.. :|
bensss

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:28 am

Yes, the shot stick is on the numpad, you use 2, 4, 6, and 8. Two of the triggers are the "," and ".", but I don't know what the other two are.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby el badman on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Anyone else with a Logitech Rumblepad 2 having difficulty performing those moves?
I know the game is optimized for a 360 type of pad, but still, it recognized all my buttons and everything. However, I was going though the list of moves from the first post (thanks BadWolf (Y) ), and none of the isomotion moves seem to work, even though my "triggers" (R2 and L2 in this case) are properly mapped...What the hell?
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby mr2ksports on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:13 pm

i have no problem using my ps controller. and how do you do pro hop? i know it's triangle (Y) but the player just keep from spinning.
mr2ksports

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:31 pm

el badman, isomotion is different from years past, not sure if you played those , though. Some moves take very delicate precise movements, others take alot more movement. As long as you are holding the turbo button down, you should be able to try something on the left thumbstick similar to Live's freestyle. Try performing the moves in practice mode. I found that turning the quickness slider down made it easier for me to perform a move, as it seemed to make the movements less sensitive.

mr2ksports, tap the shoot button while in motion to perform a hop step or hop spin. You can use the left thumbstick to point where you want to make the move.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby el badman on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the advice Pdub. It must really be sensitive then, because I've been trying for a long time in pratice and I'm not achieving any of the moves that require RT and/or LT...

Just out of curiosity, is anything supposed to happen when you just press/tap/hold either RT or LT while dribbling on one spot without moving (or having still one unused dribble for that matter)?
And you mentioned using the turbo, is this actually required for those isomotions moves (the manual does not mention that), or can you perform them without it?
Thanks for any additional tip, I'm dying, here, not being able to do any fancy moves at all... :cry:
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:27 pm

Yes, tapping R1/turbo whether moving or idle should do a hesitation move which you can link with other moves like a crossover, drive, spin, behind the back, etc. Tapping L1/backdown should do a size up move when you are not moving and a quick "burst" drive while moving. I believe there are some basic isomotion moves without using the trigger like 2k8, but I am not sure of that.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Cindicate on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:53 pm

would anyone mind to post what's RT/LT/LB/RB in the config menu ?

im using a ps controller and i want to map it nicely so that i can follow the tutorials..

quick question, is the XBOX 360 controller can be connected to the computer without using any tools ? or it needs a converter or something?
Cindicate

Postby JaoSming on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:09 pm

it can be plugged right in without issue.

B1- A
B2- B
B3- Y
B4- X
B5- Left Bumper
B6- Right Bumper
B11- Left Trigger
B12- Right Trigger

From http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192251
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby cj_miranda23 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:24 pm

pls state the corresponding action of xbox 360 controller buttons

L2=LT =?
R2=RT =?
L1=LB =?
R2=RB =?
square=X = jumpshot
triangle=Y = ?
circle=B ?
X=A= pass

I want to base my controller on xbox360 so pls help me (Y)
cj_miranda23

Postby JaoSming on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:46 pm

you really need to try searching, lucky for you this is going to be the one nice thing I do for someone today.

L2=LT =backdown
R2=RT =turbo
L1=LB =offball
R2=RB =icon passing
square=X = jumpshot
triangle=Y = rebound/spin
circle=B = charge / crossover
X=A= pass
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Kobe ftw on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:34 am

How to make alley-up? what buttons? thx.
Kobe ftw

Postby mr2ksports on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:43 am

hold the post up button + pass :D

PDUB! Big thanks for answering my question now i can play the damn game with the moves
mr2ksports

Postby el badman on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:25 am

Yes, tapping R1/turbo whether moving or idle should do a hesitation move which you can link with other moves like a crossover, drive, spin, behind the back, etc. Tapping L1/backdown should do a size up move when you are not moving and a quick "burst" drive while moving. I believe there are some basic isomotion moves without using the trigger like 2k8, but I am not sure of that.

Thanks, and that does answer my initial question: I'm really out of it :lol:
I've been trying to pull off these moves using R2/L2 instead of R1/L1, I didn't realize that it was the turbo and backdown buttons that you to use for that...But I guess you must have a PS2-type of gamepad as well, right Pdub? Because from Jao's post:
L2=LT =backdown
R2=RT =turbo

But for me, it's assigned to R1/L1. That's why I got confused... :oops:
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Next

Return to NBA 2K9 & Older