2013 in Film

This is the general discussion area for all topics that don't belong anywhere else.

2013 in Film

Postby benji on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 am

This isn't really intended to be a catch-all thread for any and all movies (somebody else could helm a reboot there) but instead to have a focus on current and upcoming films centered around 2013.

Here's a useful list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_film

How about some random poster/teaser images:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Here's a list of some sequels:
A Good Day to Die Hard
The Last Exorcism Part II
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Scary Movie 5
Iron Man 3
Fast and Furious 6
The Hangover Part III
Monsters University
Kick-Ass 2
Despicable Me 2
Grown Ups 2
The Smurfs 2
300: Rise of an Empire
RED 2
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
Paranormal Activity 5
Thor: The Dark World
UNTITLED The Best Man Sequel
A Madea Christmas

However new releases aren't the only things coming,
Four box-office hits (Jurassic Park, Top Gun, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith) will all be re-released in 3D and IMAX.
Last edited by benji on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
benji
now that's how you paint fruit

Re: 2013 in Film

Postby Qballer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 am

NICE the sin city movie is coming out this year. loved the first one
Qballer
NBA Live 15 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 am

Interested to see Man of Steel, hopefully it will turn out to be to the Superman franchise what the Dark Knight saga was to Batman.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube Channel

Thanks to TheDee for the signature!
Andrew
Old School Rose
Administrator

Postby Dc311 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:25 am

Paranormal Activity 5
A Good Day to Die Hard
Scary Movie 5
Fast and Furious 6
The Hangover Part III
Wow really?That is horrible.
I am pissed that they remade Evil dead.
Dc311
"F@*K YOU WHALE!!!F@*K YOU DOLPHIN!!!"
Contributor

Postby el badman on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 am

Yeah, I can't believe they're still trying to milk the Hangover stuff, one should have been enough.
I'll probably watch A Good Day To Die Hard at some point because I used to really like those movies when I was younger, and I'll definitely see the new Anchorman. I saw the preview for Oblivion at the theater, it might be alright too, but mostly because I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff.
The last two Pixar movies were a bit of a letdown, but the new Monsters might be fun.
The original 300 being one of the worst movies ever made, I have no reason to believe that the sequel won't blow.
El Badmanator III: Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz, OCZ Vertex4 256GB SSD, ASUS P8Z77-V LX, Galaxy GTX 660Ti 2GB, G.Skill F3 12800CL9D 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 RAM, Samsung SyncMaster 3D LED 27" S27A950D, Thermaltake 750W PSU, Smilodon Dirk-Tooth case, Creative 5.1 Surround sound, Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit, Gigabyte Aivia Osmium mechanical keyboard, Windows 8.1 Pro
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby velvet bliss on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Yeah some of those sequels don't make sense just for the sake of extending it. Reminds me of Prison Break on TV.

Going to say it again that Pacific Rim will be terrible.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
Kenny on Create A Legend mode wrote:I was fumbling around with the controls and making a lot of mistakes. If you’re about realism in NBA games, but you lack the experience in this type of game mode, I’d suggest starting with a player like Kwame; it really does feel like an authentic experience straight off the bat.
velvet bliss
NLSC's Jefferson Davis/The Questioneer

Postby dei. on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:39 am

What is with fairy tales being reimagined or something. Like that Hansel and Gretel one.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
dei.
Batdirk and Monbin

Postby Qballer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:30 am

people have run out of ideas for characters & stories so nowadays any movie is either a remake or "based off true events"
Qballer
NBA Live 15 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dc311 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Qballer wrote:people have run out of ideas for characters & stories so nowadays any movie is either a remake or "based off true events"

So you mean "Paranormal Activity" and "Passion of the Christ" are not true?

"Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"
Dc311
"F@*K YOU WHALE!!!F@*K YOU DOLPHIN!!!"
Contributor

Postby Oznogrd on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 am

dei. wrote:What is with fairy tales being reimagined or something. Like that Hansel and Gretel one.

its a big fad right now i'd like to blame on the graphic novel series Fables.

Probably more based on Once Upon a Time's success though.
Oznogrd
Here I am torn between my loyalty to the boss and my desire to piss with the lights on

Postby Phil89 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 pm

phpBB [video]
Phil89

Postby Qballer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:07 am

phpBB [video]

and featured at the end of the trailer is the freeway I take to get to work every day
Qballer
NBA Live 15 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby dei. on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:33 pm

phpBB [video]
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
dei.
Batdirk and Monbin

Postby benji on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:09 pm

phpBB [video]

Apparently will be another trailer this week.

Looks a hell of a lot more like he's Khan in this one.

Maybe I should read the prequel instead of being a dope on here.

Other trailer:
phpBB [video]
Last edited by benji on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
benji

Postby dei. on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Is the first film worth watching to familiarize myself into anything Star Trek? I have never watched any Star Trek related before in my life and the new movie seems interesting enough.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
dei.
Batdirk and Monbin

Postby velvet bliss on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 am

Those redshirts look pissed.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
Kenny on Create A Legend mode wrote:I was fumbling around with the controls and making a lot of mistakes. If you’re about realism in NBA games, but you lack the experience in this type of game mode, I’d suggest starting with a player like Kwame; it really does feel like an authentic experience straight off the bat.
velvet bliss

Postby benji on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:01 pm

phpBB [video]

dei. wrote:Is the first film worth watching to familiarize myself into anything Star Trek? I have never watched any Star Trek related before in my life and the new movie seems interesting enough.

No, other than appropriating the characters and basic setting for dumb action films, the first one and probably this one have nothing really to do with Star Trek.
ImageImage
benji

Postby benji on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 pm

I like how the images in the OP keep changing.

also, lol at JJ Abrams's team what a bunch of maroons
ImageImage
benji

Postby Manni on Fri May 10, 2013 8:56 am

Oh man i can't wait for this movie to come out.So much comedians
phpBB [video]
Visit the NBA ACTION 14 Official website at: http://nbaaction14.tk/
Visit the NLSC Forum at: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=88443
Manni
Executive Producer for NBA ACTION 14

Postby Qballer on Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am

this would've worked a little better had it come out in December 2012. but it still looks hilarious
Qballer
NBA Live 15 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Oznogrd on Sun May 19, 2013 12:46 am

saw iron man 3 and gatsby this week. Both good. Little disappointed Iron Man 3 wasn't more epic but not everyone goes insane like Christopher Nolan did.
Oznogrd
Here I am torn between my loyalty to the boss and my desire to piss with the lights on

Postby Lean on Tue May 21, 2013 6:32 pm

I think it's pretty good. The Mandarin twist was quite nice but I hope the 'paid actor' gig was done in better taste. I don't know, I kinda felt the Mandarin character was put to waste. I kinda wished they'd stick with having the Mandarin as a terrorist.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Oznogrd on Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Lean wrote:I think it's pretty good. The Mandarin twist was quite nice but I hope the 'paid actor' gig was done in better taste. I don't know, I kinda felt the Mandarin character was put to waste. I kinda wished they'd stick with having the Mandarin as a terrorist.

Yeah i kept expecting the "actor" to be an act and Mandarin to actually be a terrorist just fucking with Tony Actually though, the further away I get from seeing it, the more I like Iron Man 3. It was what it needed to be and developed Tony's character more than the other two movies combined.
Oznogrd

Postby benji on Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Star Trek Into Darkness commits a lot of unforgivable crimes, and still is written like complete shit with no care for much of anything in terms of tone, consistency, characterization, coherence, etc., but it's waaaay better than the first one.

Hopefully for the third one they will do something original and not waste a potentially great villain. He fucking sucks as Khan, but could have been a decent original character like Nero if you know they BOTHERED TO PUT ANY BACKSTORY IN THE FUCKING MOVIE INSTEAD OF CUTTING OFF ANY ACTUAL CHARACTER MOMENTS BY DOING BORING ACTION BULLSHIT AND LOL REMEMBER THIS DUDE AND THIS PART WE CAN'T WRITE MOVIES WHAT IF WE REVERSE THINGS

also, there's more ways than killing or threatening to kill someones family to make them a sympathetic villain...also, they don't have to pretend to be sympathetic, they can be total jerks, the Dark Knight seemed pretty successful Another film that was pretty successful at this? The Wrath of Khan.

also, why did we waste the first half hour of the film on demoting Kirk, bringing him back, shifting Spock off, then bringing Kirk back as Captain and then bringing Spock back. Like literally almost all of the first part of the film was unnecessary. We couldn't have just had Kirk and Spock showing up at some fancy meeting without it?

I can't tell if the games plot is inherently worse than either of the two films. I'll be headlining my review "a faithful adaptation" based on what I saw in the two films and the comics. (The dodging debris in a space suit was way better in the movies version though. Maybe because I didn't have to do it five times.)

Okay, I was going to do that anyway.

Why does Carol Marcus have an english accent? And why was she taking her clothes off?
ImageImage
benji

Postby velvet bliss on Wed May 22, 2013 1:22 am

Fan service.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
velvet bliss

Postby benji on Wed May 22, 2013 4:44 pm

A lot of the film seems to be there on that justification. Which is odd because Abrams has been insistent he doesn't care about Trek fans and wanted to remake Star Wars, er I mean, "make films for everyone." And thus I could see value in remaking Wrath of Khan to be more accessible and with a modern budget, although not this soon but this is in many ways almost the opposite. All that included fan service is basically irrelevant and shoehorned in with no thought to it. So, like the first film with its needless ties to the original continuity (which introduces at least half the plot holes) you again wind up with a film that's both insufferable in its plot construction and utterly baffling in design.

Consider you don't know about Khan, then why is the reveal that Harrison is Khan any kind of shocking reveal? Isn't mystery terrorist John Harrison just as frighting? Notice that they bring back Old Spock not just for the fan service but to emphasize that Khan is bad because they never explain WHO Khan is and why he's got some SEKRET EVAL PLAN. (Which involves him magically teleporting to the Klingon homeworld to help start a war even though he wants to stop Marcus because...) You know despite Starfleet probably having a buttload of records about the Eugenics Wars and all. Plus Kirk even looks up something in the film, he didn't think to pull up Wikipedia again?

Spock's gambit with the torpedoes is maybe the best part in the film. And really the only aspect that comes close to TWOK since that film is all about trying to OUTSMART Khan, not OUTPUNCH him.

Oh, and Kirk telling Scotty to immediately stun Khan. Actually that entire section of the film (from Robocop telling Kirk he would have killed his entire crew anyway to when Spock detonates the torpedoes) is probably the best part of the Abramsverse so far except for the Old Spock shit. Spock should have just logic'd it out and prepped a contingency ala VI.
That section is close to Bane's heist in TDKR as the "yesssss, we're so close here dopes why are you going to screw it up?" moment where I start to disbelieve and think they might accident themselves into a good [whatever the IP is] film and good film together.

This wasn't as bad as I expected, but also in someways even worse. (My spoilers are pretty spoiler but do explain why I hope if you've seen it.) Final Score: I'll say...three stars out of five. Or 9.5/10 on my upcoming video game review site scale. (9, 9.25, 9.5, 9.75, 10)

One weird part is that it comes in just a little over two hours, but unlike many other modern films that feels like they'll never end I wouldn't have minded another 15-20 minutes of this. Another weird part? TWOK is less than two hours long. (VI and First Contact are even shorter!) But it doesn't feel that way. Something something good scripting something something understanding pace.

If you aren't a Trek fan, and/or thought the first Abrams Trek was a four or five star (or think similar things for stuff like The Dark Knight), this is a four star at least. (And boy do I have a five star film for you with the same characters...)

And I should go back to bump my old stupid thread about film franchises to update the rankings.

Looking forward to Man of Steel in a couple weeks. I'm interested in how that plays out because Superman is such a difficult character to make emotionally relevant and after mainlining his pre-Flashpoint post-Infinite Crisis canon a couple months back I'm still sorta wondering how you can truly pull off such a thing especially without the context New Krypton lived on. Donner seemed to have some understanding of it, and despite the hate Returns gets now, I thought it had some useful components. The one thing is I don't think this needs to be the "Nolan" reboot, it should be the "Burton" reboot. Once you figure out the core character then everyone else can rip it off or toy with it.

I have some dumb ideas that I think would be pretty hot follow ups to this first one taken from a couple of the comic storylines. (I wouldn't resolve it at the end of the third part personally, but you could call Bale back up and rip off parts of The Dark Knight Returns along with other stories to tie the two together and send the Nolanverse off with a fifty billion dollar gross film. Then Warner could finally put their shit together for a Justice League one in a new universe ala Marvel's.)
ImageImage
benji

Postby velvet bliss on Thu May 23, 2013 7:53 am

Since I had already read the plot from Wiki even before the movie was out thanks to some dope, I decided to read that link.

Hilarious. :lol:

My reaction was the same when I read the part where Kirk's hanging around the warp drive room up to the switcheroo.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
velvet bliss

Postby Lean on Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 am

Oznogrd wrote:
Lean wrote:I think it's pretty good. The Mandarin twist was quite nice but I hope the 'paid actor' gig was done in better taste. I don't know, I kinda felt the Mandarin character was put to waste. I kinda wished they'd stick with having the Mandarin as a terrorist.

Yeah i kept expecting the "actor" to be an act and Mandarin to actually be a terrorist just fucking with Tony Actually though, the further away I get from seeing it, the more I like Iron Man 3. It was what it needed to be and developed Tony's character more than the other two movies combined.

Plus the fact that there's this couple that talks about the movie as it happens made me not enjoy the film fully. Girl asks what's happening when Pepper fell to the explosion then the son-of-a-bitch replied "oh she's still alive because of Extremis" made me react and told them to shut up. It didn't stop them though. :lol:
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Fri May 24, 2013 8:31 pm

If you've seen "Into Darkness", see "Wrath of Khan" by any means necessary. Especially if you never have before.

Rewatching the latter again I cannot believe how amazing this film is.

It's almost American Psycho levels in terms of rewatch value. It's borderline perfect. I'm wanting to alter my rating seeing the actual comparison. Like holy shit Kirk makes the same offer to Marcus he does to Khan.
ImageImage
benji

Postby benji on Fri May 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Last Man of Steel trailer apparently:
phpBB [video]

Best by far.
ImageImage
benji

Postby velvet bliss on Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Perry Black!
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
velvet bliss

Postby dei. on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:52 pm

I]saw World War Z yesterday. It was enjoyable but not really different from all the Zombie stories that have been showing around lately.

From the title I expected it was going to be a film with a world war 2 setting. Guess you get something different if you don't watch the trailer.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
dei.
Batdirk and Monbin

Postby velvet bliss on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 am

:lol:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
velvet bliss

Postby Oznogrd on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Saw Lone Ranger recently?

Why is it getting slammed? Its literally Pirates again with an old West setting
Oznogrd

Postby velvet bliss on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:55 pm

I'll probably see it just to relive a part of my childhood.
Lone Ranger videogame on the NES also taught me about poker.
Good times.
Last edited by velvet bliss on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
velvet bliss

Postby Sauru on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:12 pm

this place needs way more movie based threads. Sauru demands more movie chat on the NLSC
Sauru

Postby benji on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Oznogrd wrote:Why is it getting slammed? Its literally Pirates again with an old West setting

The last couple films in that series didn't exactly garner good reviews either...

Plus this one has been expected to bomb since it had production troubles and budget problems and got delayed like ten times. They spent close to $400 million expecting to make Pirates type money. Reviewers love to get out in front of existing narratives to show how smart and right they are.
ImageImage
benji

Postby Sauru on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:41 pm

has anyone actually seen the movie? does it suck or is it a movie that bombed even though its fairly good? my guess is it sucks
Sauru

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Sauru wrote:has anyone actually seen the movie? does it suck or is it a movie that bombed even though its fairly good? my guess is it sucks

I saw it with the g/f's family. Sure alot of it makes no sense, and no questions really get answered by the end of the flick but its the fucking Lone Ranger. Yes it's ridiculous. Yes it's over the top, but why would you expect different?

I stand by my original statement: Its literally Pirates in an old west setting without some of the great side characters. The only characters with any sort of interesting arc are Tonto and the Lone Ranger himself. Its a little slower paced than Pirates as there's not 1 amazing character (jack) and a set of not so amazing characters (Elizabeth/Will Turner) with different storylines that end up connecting.

I need to write the review for my blog still, been lazy lately.
Oznogrd

Return to General Talk