Official NBA Live 08 Demo Thread

Talk about NBA Live 08 here.

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:25 pm

If you get the game, just play around with the sliders. If you play on superstar you better play a slow down game cause the computer wil; probably blow you out!!!

Thanx Andrew for the response!!! It'll be alot of work, but the dunks suck so it's worth it
ThaLiveKing

Postby Angelo on Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:47 pm

Ive tried the demo but i felt dissapointed because there is still a pg domination but i really like the graphics a lot (Y)
Angelo
Holy Tits
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dramacydal on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:03 pm

WOW, nice...uhm...traveling!
Dramacydal

Postby Vlizzle on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:17 pm

GOOD

- the quikstrike ball handling feature really improves the realism of the game
- the frame rate is much better
- the cpu defensive AI is great, very realistic
- very good shooting movement

BAD

- a lot of slip-ups in the flow of the movement(players travel)
- the dunks are poor
- players jump 2 high
- player's faces are really "cubic", the 07 PC version has more realistic cyberfaces & headshapes (!)

There's a definite improvement from last year but it's still far, far away from NBA 2k7...with the 2k8 game coming out i really think that anybody mentally sane will choose the 2k title over Live...i really had high expectations but it's turning out 2 be another disappointing game. :(
Vlizzle

Postby -Young Buck- on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:22 pm

I still enjoy the demo. I think its stupid they added that palming move (stand still and press up on the right analog) Why would they add that when you can clearly see its a violation, though it doesnt get called?

I think some players move too fast, Ilgauskas has cat like reflexes. Dunks are too fast. But overall its fun to play. I wouldnt go wasting 60 bucks on it, i mean there is a reason EA limits us to only 2 minute quarters. Im sure they are trying to hide something. We wont totally know how good the AI is unless we play the full version for at least 1 to 2 weeks.
-Young Buck-

Postby Arthas86 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:32 am

We have the key for a good CF Vlizzle :mrgreen:

Uto, King James, A-Nuke
Arthas86

Postby will658761 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:25 am

[quote="-Young Buck-"]I still enjoy the demo. I think its stupid they added that palming move (stand still and press up on the right analog) Why would they add that when you can clearly see its a violation, though it doesnt get called?quote]

yea that is clearly violation, but at least it looked nice lol :lol:
will658761

Postby cyanide on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:01 am

I watched the gameplay video on YouTube. The animations are very similar to Live 07. In other words, it looks really bad.

For example, watch the passing, and look at how terrible it still is. This is how it works:

1. Player passes the ball.

2. The ball unrealistically moves sloooow to the receiver. Notice how the player waiting to catch the ball is set frozen in his position.

3. Once the receiver finally catches the ball, he takes a second to hold on to his precious, and while he's in the process of holding it, he's thinking, "Must... not... have... butterfingers."

4. Once he recollects himself, he turns around to do a simple 5-foot jumper, and awkwardly stumbles forwards.

5. He then shields his head to avoid getting hit by the ball while the opposing team's player relieves his worries by snatching the ball with magnet hands.

See example at 3:05: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYhuFC_rrNY

They're all a bunch of robots. Ah well, 2K8 it is, regardless of anything Live could do to convince me otherwise.

Edit:

EAcrazylegs wrote:Guys, the PG's are NOT dominant this year unless your PG is naturally dominant. Parker is slashing to the hoop and taking shots because that is what he does. Do you see Gibson doing it? If you did, then that would be a sign that PG's are dominant. Plus, you're playing in a very short demo.

Right, Tony Parker takes 60% of the Spurs shot because he's dominant, and if signs show that Gibson is dominant, then I trust every PG in the league is dominant. The demo is short, so it's unfortunate that Tony Parker will not be able to surpass his projected total of 50 points. Your point?
if you were killed tomorrow, i WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN THE MOTHA FUCKER THAT KILLED U!
......|..___________________, ,
....../ `---______----|]
...../==o;;;;;;;;______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:24 am

I was playin the demo again today against the Cavs and sometimes, Daneil Gibson, won't even pass the ball, he'd hold the ball and then drive to the basket!!! I should play against Spain a bunch of times to see if Calderon does the same thing
ThaLiveKing

Postby fjccommish on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:10 pm

"I was playin the demo again today against the Cavs and sometimes, Daneil Gibson, won't even pass the ball, he'd hold the ball and then drive to the basket!!! I should play against Spain a bunch of times to see if Calderon does the same thing"

Sounds like PG domination. Parker never getting the ball to Duncan is PG domination. LeBron hardly getting the ball in favor of drives and jumpers by Gibson is PG domination.
fjccommish

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:33 pm

I noticed that the cpu seems to pass the ball more on All-Star.

I did an alleyoop with Tony Parker and the ball went through the hoop without being touched, and it wasn't counted.

I'm not too sure about the quickstrike feature, it seems like a more contextual version of freestyle with simpler controls. I'm probably just too used to freestyle and of course I am only playing a very short demo. So far the spin move seems to be unstoppable when I use Tony Parker.

Is there an easy way to call for help defense or double team? I haven't found it if there is a way.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:49 pm

yeah the double team feature is a little inconvenient with 2 button pushes and i don't like the new direct pass how you have to hold it because the alley oop button's mapped onto the same button. they should have put the hotzones at L3 and moved alley oop to L1.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SHAFT23 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/v/273cQjWj8Do
this looks pretty good to me[/url]
SHAFT23

Postby Madsnyb on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:04 am

Isn't the demo available in any European country? Playstation Store doesn't have it here in Norway. Does anybody know when or if it will be available?
Madsnyb

Postby Ruthless Outlaw on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:36 am

The ally-oops suck. They are so hard to do, because they never throw it the first time you press R1, you need to tap it. If you do throw an ally-oop, they never catch and finish the play, but once in a while you can execute it perfectly but the animations of the ally-oops suck, so you don't even feel rewarded for the play.

By the way, this is on the PS3.
"If you investigate you'll find out where it's coming from, look through our history, America is the violent one."-2Pac
Ruthless Outlaw

Postby nba_baller on Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:17 pm

Wow, my game is totally different to all you guys. When I play Cavs vs. Spurs as cavs on superstar and a litte bit of tweaking the sliders i get paker to pass to duncan, oberto, finley, etc... and when ginobli comes on he sometimes domiates, but thats what he does and he still passes.

(This is on PS3)
nba_baller

Postby pape245 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:34 pm

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT!!!

This demo LOOKS great, but it f-ing sucks. Did you try throwing Alley-oops. I want EA to do well cause they got visuals down packed but you people are day dreaming. Why do all the players have skinny ass legs. Why does Lebron barely jump to dunk, and when he does why does it feel so soft. It's almost as if no one who makes the game ever played basketball. Damn this makes me mad

Madden isn't that good
Fifa is marginal
Live is terrible

This is after 20 plus years of EA making games, and that's the best they can do!
pape245

Postby Donatello on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:46 am

I recently bought an Xbox 360, and downloaded the NBA Live 08 demo. I must say... I am genuinely excited about the new Live. I'm not sure if I swore off ever buying another NBA Live game after last year's debacle, but if I did... screw it.

I've played about 10 2-minute quarter games now, and I'm confident in (at the very least) the "fun factor" of NBA Live 08. I'm buying this game.

Some of the concerns noted by other posters here are valid, however. Little bit of a "chicken legs" thing going on, and the dunks are a bit fast. But... alley-oops being too hard? Last time I checked, they aren't too easy in the NBA, either. ;)

Oh, and it looks gorgeous (I do have an HDTV, can't vouch for how it would look on a standard)
||[b]b]||
Donatello
Dongatello

Postby SHAFT23 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:20 am

i just downloaded the demo and played about 5 games. the game looks great and plays decent.

alley oops are hard and doen't look too good. Some do, but most don't.

Didn;t notice anything weird going on. parker takes it to the hole if you get on his ass, but that's normal. You lay off him, then he will pass it around. I had everyone score on the spurs against me.

The dunks look a little weird, but that's about the only thing i think is wrong witht he demo for now.

I gotta get used tot he xbox controls ofcourse and the dribbling, but they look good. Also the defense is great.

the only dumb thing that happened was that oberto went for a reverse scoop shot and Lebron jumped from the other side to tap it off of the rim. In european games it's legal and it looked really good. Only thing is this was the NBA game and his hands went through the rim. The tap itself looked really nice as did the block in the game.

if they smooth it out even more, it will be great. I'm buying this game for sure.
SHAFT23

Postby Ruthless Outlaw on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:27 am

Playing the demo again and decided to tweak some sliders. I made the speed a little bit quicker and I have to say that it makes a big difference in terms of the dunking, lay-up, and ally-oop animations.......On the PS3
"If you investigate you'll find out where it's coming from, look through our history, America is the violent one."-2Pac
Ruthless Outlaw

Postby SHAFT23 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:41 am

here is a sendspace link where i put 5 plays randomly that i thought looked okay in the short demo game i just played. The more i play it, the more i get used to it and itplays great.

i threw a couple of alley oops to see how they were and they are pretty realistic. if you throw them too late or with a bad passer or to a mediocre dunker, then they won't go well.

i ill make some more for you guys lateron

http://www.sendspace.com/file/58gdz2
SHAFT23

Postby nba_baller on Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:56 pm

Dont double post
nba_baller

Postby SHAFT23 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:57 pm

nba_baller wrote:Dont double post

sue me...
SHAFT23

Postby nba_baller on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:32 pm

just saying :roll: