A New Hope: LA Clippers 2009-10.

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

A New Hope: LA Clippers 2009-10.

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:07 am

A New Hope: LA Clippers 2009-10 Season.

I will be using NBA2K10s opening night roster. The season Blake Griffin was drafted.

Here is my alternate reality of what could have happened if just a few things changed that fateful summer of 2009 when Griffin injured his kneecap in the preseason. Who knows what effect that will have on the future of the NBA and the Clippers. So many superstars entered the league in that season and the Clippers had seemed to get the best one.

I want to try and get multiple season's out of this, so I will swap between individual game recaps to weekly to monthly recaps to speed the process up.

I hope you follow my story, and I hope it helps some of you walk down memory lane as Griffin and the Clippers try to ascend to greatness in an alternate reality.

NBA2K10 Association Settings
Roster: 2009-10 Opening Night (Mine)
Sliders: All Star
Draft Classes:2010 Draft Class edited by me.
Season Length: 82 Games
Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Normalized Played to Sim Minutes: Off
Normalized Played to Sim Stats: Off
Conference Quarterfinals: 7 Games
Conference Semifinals: 7 Games
Conference Finals: 7 Games
NBA Finals: 7 Games
Last edited by RMJH4 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:10 am, edited 10 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Clippers win draft lottery.

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:20 am

Clippers win draft lottery.

SECAUCUS, N.J. -- For most of the past 25 years, the Los Angeles Clippers have had to travel across the country every spring for the NBA draft lottery.

Maybe Blake Griffin can help save them the trip.

The Clippers won the lottery Tuesday night, moving up from the third-best chance to earn the top pick and the right to draft Griffin, the national college player of the year from Oklahoma.

"We're going to do our diligence and then we're going to pick the best player in the draft. A lot of people think that's Blake Griffin," Clippers president Andy Roeser said. "He's a terrific athlete, he's athletic and he's strong. Any franchise would be happy to have Blake Griffin for a long time."

Griffin appears happy that he could be heading to Los Angeles.

"I know nothing is set in stone, but L.A. is a great opportunity and if they do want me I'll do the best in whatever way I can," Griffin told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday night. "I know it's a little bit different [with the No. 1 pick in this draft]. I've heard rumblings that this draft is weak and stuff like that so it does put me at ease a little bit. But at the same time I know I still have to perform at the level expected of me."

And perhaps someday the All-American power forward will be part of a Clippers team doing what the Lakers, its Staples Center co-tenants, were doing Tuesday night: playing in the conference finals.

"I'm not sure we've stolen the spotlight [from the Lakers]," Roeser said. "A couple of years ago we were playing in the playoffs and I would rather be in that position, no questions."

Memphis vaulted to second and Oklahoma City will pick third.

Sacramento, which had the best chance to win the lottery after finishing with a league-worst 17-65 record, fell to fourth, and Washington dropped from second to No. 5.

The Clippers won the top pick for the third time in their mostly dismal history. They last had the No. 1 selection in 1998 and, perhaps predictably, blew it, taking eventual bust Michael Olowokandi.

They stand a better chance of getting it right this time if they go with Griffin, who led the nation with 30 double-doubles and 14.4 rebounds per game, while also averaging a Big 12-best 22.7 points as a sophomore.

Roeser, who represented the team on the podium, wouldn't confirm that the Clippers will choose Griffin, though they could certainly use a power forward after former star Elton Brand left before last season as a free agent.

"I think five years from now Blake Griffin will be hitting his stride in the NBA and he will be an impact player wherever he is," said Roeser, whose sports jacket was lined with a Clippers uniform with a No. 1 on the left side and a 23, Griffin's number, on the other. "He is an athletic player. He can do all sorts of things and has a ton of talent, and I think any team will be happy to have him."

Oklahoma's Blake Griffin appears to be the consensus No. 1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft. Joe Murphy/Getty Images
Former All-Star Chris Webber, who represented Sacramento on the podium, seemed to agree Griffin is the way to go.

"I love Griffin's game. I think there is a lot of upside to his potential," Webber said. "He is a hardworking player. I love the guy."

The top three teams all moved up, making the 25th lottery as unpredictable as most of its predecessors. Not since 2004, when Orlando took Dwight Howard, had the team with the best chance to win ended up with the No. 1 pick.

And though Sacramento desperately needed the help, Webber said he loved the system.

"The worst team shouldn't always get the best player," he said. "You can do a lot of losing for that. I really like the system, it is fair."

The draft is June 25.

Minnesota has the sixth pick followed by Golden State, New York, Toronto, Milwaukee, New Jersey, Charlotte, Indiana and Phoenix.

The Clippers also picked first in 1988, drafting Danny Manning. This was their 20th appearance in the draft lottery, which is supposed to help bad teams get better quickly. They can only hope that will finally be the case this time.

"Our goal is to be playing next year at this time," Roeser said.

The lottery had a much bigger buzz in the past two years because there were two players who seemed worthy of going No. 1. Portland went for Greg Oden over Kevin Durant in 2007, and the Chicago Bulls moved up to get Rookie of the Year Derrick Rose last season, with Michael Beasley going second to Miami.

That wasn't the case this year, since Griffin seems like the only possible choice at No. 1. Spanish guard Ricky Rubio and Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet are also considered top-three choices, but come with question marks: Rubio is still a teenager and Thabeet isn't polished offensively.

The lottery determines the top three picks, with the rest of the first round going by inverse order of a team's record. It began in 1985, when the New York Knicks selected Patrick Ewing.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

NBA Draft 1996

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Hornets select G- Kobe Bryant with #13 pick.

The Hornets could not let this young man slip any further. Despite not getting a work-out with Bryant, GM Bob Bass took a stab in the dark and selected another high school phenom. Bass listened to the word of mouth reviews of Bryant's workout with the Lakers and decided he would plump for the Lower Merion star. Bryant signed with agent Arn Tellem earlier in the season. Tellem has been carefully selecting workouts in the lead up to the draft in the hope's of routing Bryant to the Los Angeles Lakers this offseason. Bryant was almost selected by the Nets earlier at #8 by the New Jersey Nets, but apparently John Calipari opted against drafting the high schooler at the last moment.

There are a lot of whispers around the NBA in that Bryant may not last as a Hornets past this week. The Lakers have been trying to trade Centre Vlade Divac for the #13 pick in the lead up to draft night. Nobody can confirm if this has been agreed upon yet. That draft could solve some problems for both basketball clubs. The Hornets need a centre, something which they have needed since they traded away former star Alonzo Mourning to the Heat last season. They have the cap space to absorb Divac's contract. For the Lakers the rewards are two fold. Grab the high school phenom who decimated Michael Cooper in a workout last week, and clear cap space to make a run at this offseasons prized big man Shaquille O' Neal.

Lakers GM Jerry West is apparently extremely high on Bryant, and see him as they key to returning the Lakers back to glory, along with O' Neal. So do the Hornets stick or twist? I know the Charlotte fanbase are majorly excited with this pick and absolutely want to see him stay. Bryant could be part of a new younger bench mob along with Point Guard Derek Fisher who is a similar player to current Hornet Muggys Bogues. Fisher is a tough lefty guard who defends well and can spot up and shoot. The 6'1 Guard will add some much needed size and scoring to the point for Charlotte, and will hope to try and earn some minutes early on if Kenny Anderson does not re-sign.

Lastly in the second round the Hornets drafted undersized Centre/ Forward Ben Wallace out of Virginia Union. Wallace projects as a back up who will fight on defense and rebound the ball well. Wallace will do well to make the final roster cut for opening night.

Here is the full video of tonight's intro to the #13 pick for the Hornets:

phpBB [video]

Full draft results:
Round 1.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Meeting with GM Bob Bass

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 pm

"Please Kobe, take a seat."

I sat down in the leather seat, only a few feet away from the big television situated on the mahogany cabinet. I watched as a continuous loop of Hornets season highlights flashed in the background.

"Not a great season was it?" asked Bass.

"It sure wasn't, 9th place isn't what you had hoped for" I said.

"That's exactly why I wanted to meet with you today. We need make some changes if we want to bridge that gap. We need changes, and fast. "

"Well, I'm glad you think I'm capable of making a change."

Bass got up, and walked towards the plate glass window looking out over the city.

"I'm an honest man Kobe, so I'm gonna shoot straight with you. First and foremost, I would like to keep you here long term. I know your agent Arn want's us to push ahead with the Lakers trade but I'm not so sure. I'd like you to meet our new head coach Dave Cowens today. Dave know's a lot about winning rings, I'm sure you know that. I believe he can help get us one. But we will need you to help us with that."

Yeah I see what you mean Mr Bass. I'm undecided as to what to do. My preference is to play for the Lakers though. I want a franchise that's committed to winning and has a history of winning. I am a winner. If you can give me that commitment I might reconsider.

Good. I can commit to that. I can talk to our owner and ensure we are all heading on the right path. Trading away Alonzo last season was us course correcting. We couldn't get out of the second round, so we had to change it up. Glen Rice is a knockdown shooter who we needed to add to go deeper in the playoffs. Now we've drafted a tough young guard in Derek Fisher, I think you'd get along great with him. We are in heavy talks at the moment to trade for a very promising 2nd year big man. We're getting younger Kobe."

He took a drag from the cigar in his hand, and continued to look out at the city.

Hey Kobe, what are you doing in here without me? Stop this meeting now Bob.

Excuse me Arn, that's my door and you can't just burst in here like that.

Kobe we're out of here. I told you to keep your head down and we'll get this sorted quickly. Bob you made a promise to Jerry, and I know you're a man of your word.

Arn, I'm a man of my word. If Kobe doesn't want to be here, to take up the challenge of turning this into a winning franchise, then we're done here, and you can have your trade.

Whatever Bob. Jerry is expecting a call back today at midday. You need to get the conference call to the league sorted asap.

With that I followed Arn out the door, but something was niggling at me. I damn sure want to play for the Lakers. I want to be a part of showtime, but a part of me is intrigued that Bob Bass just challenged me to prove my worth with this lowly franchise. I like a challenge.

"Don't worry about your contract, we'll figure it out shortly Kobe." He said, half laughing in between checking his pager. "We're just not signing it in Charlotte.""

I smiled and thanked him, and made my way into the car. A lot to think on.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Lakers set to trade Divac to Hornets for #13 pick.

Postby RMJH4 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:21 am

Lakers set to trade Divac to Hornets for #13 pick.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) _ Los Angeles center Vlade Divac has a decision to make. He needs to agree to be traded to the Charlotte Hornets in exchange for the Lakers acquiring the rights to 17-year-old Kobe Bryant, Divac’s agent said today.

Divac, the Lakers’ starting center, has threatened to retire rather than leave Los Angeles, where his wife is an aspiring actress.

"Vlade has yet to decide to go ahead with the trade. He’s unsure whether to start a new chapter in his life,″ Divac’s agent, Marc Fleisher, told The Associated Press from his office in New Canaan, Conn. "It's a very tough decision on his part, but he will make it this week. We are almost ready to move forward.″

Bob Bass, the Hornets’ vice president of basketball operations, refused to comment on the trade, which cannot be finalized until July 9, when a moratorium on all negotiations and trades expires.

Divac has been in Europe training with the Yugoslavian national team for the Olympics. Fleisher said Divac was flying to the U.S. today and would speak with reporters Tuesday in Los Angeles, where the Yugoslavian team is scheduled to play an exhibition this week.

Trading Divac would allow the Lakers to clear money to offer Orlando center Shaquille O’Neal, creating $8.53 million worth of salary cap room if they want to at least try to re-sign free agent Elden Campbell or $11.98 million if they renounce Campbell.

The Atlanta Hawks also expressed interest in Divac, offering a future first-round pick.

"Once he decides to continue playing,″ Fleisher said, "the incredible fan base in Charlotte could have a big influence in his decision.″

The Hornets have sold out all of their games at the 24,042-seat Charlotte Coliseum for seven consecutive seasons. Charlotte drew 985,722 fans last season, tops in the NBA for the sixth year in a row and the third-highest total in league history.

The Lakers acquired Divac with the 26th pick in the 1989 NBA draft. He averaged 12.9 points, 8.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocks this season.

Charlotte used the 13th pick in last week’s draft to take Bryant, who bypassed college to enter. The Hornets drafted Bryant as a future talent, but rumors have shown this not their own pick. The Lakers, who did not pick until the 24th selection, were one of several teams to express an interest in Bryant.

Bryant's agent Arn Tellem made it known that he had no intention of playing for the Hornets.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Vlade Divac set to retire from NBA.

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:34 am

Vlade Divac to retire from NBA.

L SEGUNDO, Calif.,-- Vlade Divac, one of the NBA’s most popular centers and one of the first European players to have a major impact in the NBA, announced today that he will retire from basketball.

A 7-year NBA veteran, Divac, began his career with the Lakers when Los Angeles selected him in the first round (26th overall) of the 1989 NBA Draft. In his seven NBA seasons with the Lakers, Divac averaged 12.5 points, 8.7 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 520 games. In 51 postseason games with Los Angeles, he increased his scoring average to 12.8 points while pulling down 7.0 rebounds per game.

Named to the 1989-90 NBA All-Rookie First Team, Divac helped the Lakers reach the 1991 NBA Finals in his second season and increased his scoring average in each of his first six seasons, recording a career-best 16.0 points per game during the 1994-95 campaign.

In the last two week the Lakers have been trying to trade Divac to the Charlotte Hornets in exchange for #13 pick Kobe Bryant. With Divac's wife's aspiring career as an actress starting in in Hollywood, Vlade decided he wanted to stay put in Los Angeles. The only way that would happen would be if he retired from the NBA. Divac will still compete for Yugoslavia at this summers Olympics games.

“Vlade enjoyed an excellent yet very short career in the NBA and was one of the most popular players we’ve had, both with the fans and with team management,” said GM Jerry West. “His playing style was defined by his wittiness and creativity on the court and we think those talents will benefit him in his new off-court career as well.”
Last edited by RMJH4 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Knicks, Bullets, Blazers and Hornets complete major trade.

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:42 am

NEW YORK, July 14 -- In the space of a few minutes late Sunday afternoon the New York Knicks went from an old, weary team to a rejuvenated contender in the NBA's Eastern Conference. Following a press conference announcing the signing of their new backcourt tandem of free agents Allan Houston and Chris Childs, the Knicks made public the long-rumored acquisition of Larry Johnson from Charlotte. New York gave up forwards Anthony Mason and Brad Lohaus in the exchange.

This was also part of a massive four team deal. The Washington Bullets took a giant leap forward by shedding sophomore forward Rasheed Wallace and gaining experience in guard Rod Strickland and forward Harvey Grant. The Bullets will bec0me Eastern conference contenders with this move. Strickland will hope to get the best out of recently re-signed Juwan Howard and his college alum Chris Webber.

Portland swapped vet Strickland for another veteran in Anthony Mason. Mason was beloved in Madison Square Garden and will be equally loved in the Rose Garden. His toughness and defense will add an extra dimension to the Blazers alongside Sabonis down low. This move free's up enough space to chase Kenny Anderson who has settled on leaving the Hornets.

The Charlotte Hornets moved off Johnson's long term salary and grab an interesting prospect in Rasheed Wallace. Wallace averaged 10.1 ppg and 4.7rpg in D.C, but he was stuck deep on the bench behind the MIchigan duo Juward Howard and Chris Webber. Wallace could get an opportunity to play big minutes in Charlotte who are struggling for big men. Their recent move to try and add Vlade Divac at center has fallen through, Matt Geiger looks set to start at centre alongside possibly Wallace this year. Hornets have a big mix of vet's and young players now.

The Johnson deal, which continues Charlotte's offseason roster shake- up, was much-anticipated and reportedly was held up while the teams finalized details of a trade bonus in Johnson's contract. It was eventually expanded from the original Knicks and Hornets deal to include Portland and Washington this week.

'Once we get into camp, build some chemistry together, there is no limit to how good we can be,' Johnson said. 'There's no place like New York. There's nothing like the New York fans. You go out and give 110 percent, that's what I intend to do.' Johnson, 27, gives the Knicks a second All-Star player to complement star center Patrick Ewing. He averaged 20.5 points and 8.4 rebounds last year for the Hornets. The 25-year-old Houston, a shooting guard who played the first three years of his NBA career with the Detroit Pistons and emerged as one of the league's rising stars, agreed to a seven-year contract worth $56 million, according to the New York Daily News. 'Hopefully, we can take a lot of pressure off each other and compete for a championship,' said Houston regarding Childs.

Despite losing the player expected to be the cornerstone of the franchise's future (Wallace), Bullets general manager Wes Unseld was upbeat. 'We have upgraded our backcourt with the addition of Strickland,' Unseld said. 'He is a proven top point guard in this league.' 'Strickland is an outstanding point guard who is one of the league's best perimeter shooters,' said head coach Jim Lynam. 'He's the type of player who makes his teammates better, because of his ability to penetrate the defense and create.' Strickland had a falling out with Portland coach P.J. Carlesimo during last season, coming at odds with Carlisemo's half-court offense. Strickland was suspended in the middle of the season, but averaged 18.8 points and 9.6 assists in 67 games last season. His assist total placed him fourth in the league. He helped the Trail Blazers push Utah to five games in the first round in the Western Conference playoffs, but had only 10 points and eight assists in the deciding game, a 102-64 humiliation at Utah. Strickland is returning to the Atlantic Division, where he played for the New York Knicks in the 1988-89 and part of the 1989-90 season.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

1996 Offseason Recap

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:55 am

Shaq left the Magic to join the Lakers this offseason.

WINNERS

Shaquille O’Neal. Signed a $120 million deal, richest contract in pro sports history.

Alonzo Mourning. Was a bust in the 3-0 playoff loss to the Bulls, but it didn’t hurt him in open market. Miami had to pay $112 million to keep him around for 7 more years.

David Falk. NBA superagent got his high-profile clients - Michael Jordan, Mourning, Juwan Howard, et al. - more than $200 million, and he gets 4 percent.

Washington Bullets. Thought they lost Howard, so used his cap money to get Rod Strickland and Harvey Grant. Then got Howard back after the league voided his deal with Miami - and got to keep the other players.

Dennis Rodman. The player nobody would touch two years ago is now overexposed. Oh, and he signed a one-year, $9 million deal to remain with the Bulls, too.

Jordan. Signed a one-year contract for $30 million, setting himself up for a increasing one-year deals until he’s had enough.

Jim McIlvaine. Averaged 2.1 points and 2.5 rebounds in two seasons as a Bullets backup, then got a mind-boggling seven-year, $33 million deal with Seattle.

LOSERS
Orlando Magic. Offered Shaquille O’Neal as much money as the Lakers, maybe a little more. Obviously, he wanted to leave.

Oliver Miller. Opted out of a $5.3 million contract with Toronto, turned down Raptors’ $19 million, refused to let Utah weigh him and ended up getting league minimum at Dallas.

Miami Heat. The NBA said it broke salary-cap rules by signing Juwan Howard after it had agreed to terms with Alonzo Mourning. Coach-GM Pat Riley said the league was out to get him, but gave in and returned a dominating player.

John Calipari. Forget the fact the former UMass coach got $15 million from the New Jersey Nets. It’s one of the more depressing franchises in pro sports. His career is going downhill.

Reggie Miller. Although he got the money he wanted to re-sign with Indiana, he had to suffer the humiliation of being virtually ignored on the free agent market.

Shawn Kemp. During NBA Finals, he proved to be one of the best no-quit, clutch players in the league. But he sullied his questionable reputation by holding out and claiming he’s underpaid.

Front Office and Coaching
John Gabriel promoted to Orlando Magic general manager.
Pat Croce takes over as both Philadelphia 76ers owner and president.
Tom Thibodeau and Ron Adams fired as Philadelphia 76ers assistant coaches.
Jeff Van Gundy promoted from interim to head coach as New York Knicks.
Danny Ainge hired as Phoenix Suns assistant coach.
John Calipari hired as New Jersey Nets head coach and president.
Pete Carril hired as Sacramento Kings assistant coach.
Johnny Davis hired as Philadelphia 76ers coach.
Phil Jackson signs a one-year, $2.5 million deal with the Chicago Bulls.

FA Signings
New York Knicks sign Allan Houston to seven-year, $56 million deal.
Chicago Bulls sign Michael Jordan to a one-year, $30.4 million contract.
Miami Heat sign Alonzo Mourning to a seven-year, $105 million contract.
Indiana Pacers re-sign Anthony Davis and Dale Davis to seven-years and $80 million, combined.
Houston Rockets re-sign Hakeem Olajuwon to a five-year, $60 million contract.
Atlanta Hawks sign Dikembe Mutombo to a five-year, $50 million deal.
Portland Trail Blazers sign Kenny Anderson to a seven-year, $50 million deal.
Orlando Magic re-signs Horace Grant to a five-year, $50 million deal.
Atlanta Hawks re-sign Steve Smith to a seven-year, $50.4 million deal.
Washington Bullets sign Juwan Howard to a seven-year, $105 million deal.
Chicago Bulls re-sign Dennis Rodman to one-year, $9 million deal.
Detroit Pistons re-sign Otis Thorpe to three-year, $15 million deal.
Utah Jazz re-sign John Stockton to a three-year, $15 million deal.
Indiana Pacers re-sign Reggie Miller to a four-year, $36 million contract.

Trades
Mark Jackson, Ricky Pierce and a first-round pick traded from Indiana to Denver for Jalen Rose, Reggie Williams and a pick that turned into Erick Dampier.
Dallas deals the sixth pick in the 1996 draft (Antoine Walker) and a 1997 overall pick (Ron Mercer) to Boston for the ninth pick (Samaki Walker) and Eric Montross.
Charlotte Hornets trade Larry Johnson for Rasheed Wallace and Mitchell Butler.
Washington Bullets trade Rasheed Wallace and Mitchell Butler for Rod Strickland and Harvey Grant.
Portland Trailblazers trade Rod Strickland for Anthony Mason.
New York Knicks trade Anthony Mason for Larry Johnson.
Los Angeles Lakers trade Anthony Peeler and George Lynch to Vancouver, along with two second-round draft picks, for two future second-round draft picks.
Phoenix Suns trade Charles Barkley and a second-round pick to Houston for Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Chucky Brown and Mark Bryant.

Retirements
Magic Johnson retires.
Vlade Divac retires.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

1996-97 Pacific Divison Preview

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:53 am

1996-97 Season Preview
Western Conference
PACIFIC DIVISION

Seattle SuperSonics
Coach: George Karl

Last Year:
64-18, 1st, lost to Chicago in NBA Finals

Coming: C Jim McIlvaine, G Greg Graham, G Craig Ehlo, F Joseph Blair, G Drew Barry

Going: G Vincent Askew, C Ervin Johnson, C/F Frank Brickowski

The good: McIlvaine, a legit shotblocker, makes the Sonics' swarming defense even scarier. Ehlo adds more maturity and fire to the locker room.

The bad: Gary Payton has grown up, but Shawn Kemp's holdout brings back questions about his head.

The X factor: Sonics kept everybody they wanted to: Payton, Hersey Hawkins, Sam Perkins, Karl.

Los Angeles Lakers
Coach: Del Harris
Last Year: 53-29, 2nd, lost to Houston in West first round

Coming: C Shaquille O'Neal, C Sean Rooks, F Jerome Kersey, G Byron Scott, G Rumeal Robinson

Going: C Vlade Divac, G Anthony Peeler, F George Lynch, G/F Magic Johnson, F Derek Strong, F Fred Roberts, G Sedale Threatt

The good: Getting Shaq while retaining Elden Campbell was another Jerry West coup.

The bad: Nick Van Exel and Cedric Ceballos are accidents waiting to happen; no one has depth anymore, but L.A. has less than most.

The X Factor: Eddie Jones can't be allowed to disappear into the background, as almost happened last year.

Phoenix Suns
Coach: Cotton Fitzsimmons
Last Year: 41-41, 4th, lost to San Antonio in West first round

Coming: F Robert Horry, G Sam Cassell, F Mark Bryant, F Chucky Brown, G Steve Nash, F Marty Conlon, G Rex Chapman

Going: F Charles Barkley, G Chris Carr, G Elliott Perry

The good: Another deep team,now a younger one, thanks to Barkley trade. It should revolve around Danny Manning and Michael Finley.

The bad: Horry and Cassell thrived off Hakeem Olajuwon; now they'll play off the awesome presence of Hot Rod Williams and Conlon.

The X factor: Every bone and muscle in Kevin Johnson's body. Cassell and Nash will have to excel.

Sacramento Kings
Coach: Garry St. Jean
Last Year: 39-43, 5th, lost to Seattle in West first round

Coming: G Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

Going: G Sarunas Marciulionis

The good: Abdul-Rauf adds instant offense and help for Mitch Richmond; soph Corliss Williamson adds to deep (but small) frontcourt.

The bad: Frontcourt is too short and, at center, too limited; team mostly stood pat and couldn't sign No. 1 pick Predrag Stojakovic.

The X factor: Did rest of shook-up West leave Kings standing in the dust (and in the lottery)?

Portland Trail Blazers
Coach: P.J. Carlesimo
Last Year: 44-38, 3rd, lost to Utah in West first round

Coming: G Kenny Anderson, G Isaiah Rider, F Anthony Mason, C Jermaine O'Neal, G Marcus Brown, G Sasha Djordjevic

Going: G Rod Strickland, F Harvey Grant, G James Robinson, F Buck Williams, G Rumeal Robinson

The good: They're loaded at every position, at least talent-wise. With 35 minutes a game, C Arvydas Sabonis could be an All-Star.

The bad: Putting these troubled stars together will severely test Carlesimo. And Clifford Robinson's still unhappy with his contract.

The X factor: Success might depend on how many late-night calls GM Bob Whitsitt gets.

Golden State Warriors
Coach: Rick Adelman

Last ear: 36-46, 6th

Coming: G Mark Price, C Todd Fuller, F Marcus Mann

Going: C Rony Seikaly (did not report), F Jerome Kersey, C Kevin Willis, G Jon Barry

The good: Not many teams can say they have an edge at two positions almost every night; the Warriors have Joe Smith and Latrell Sprewell.

The bad: Price and Chris Mullin are fragile; so is the chemistry. Summer-long attempts to trade Seikaly might yield nothing.

The X factor: The lack of an experienced center means they have to be active, cohesive and unselfish at both ends. The last time they did that was 1975.

Los Angeles Clippers
Coach: Bill Fitch
Last Year: 29-53, 7th

Coming: C Lorenzen Wright, C Dwayne Schintzius, C Kevin Duckworth, G Darrick Martin

Going: C Brian Williams (unsigned)
The good: Fitch has recovered nicely from heart-bypass surgery. F Loy Vaught still loves the game.

The bad: Too many out-of-shape, unmotivated centers, trying to replace the one good center (Williams) they can't sign. Brent Barry has an injured thumb.

The X factor: Keeping Williams and having luck with Barry would give people a reason to watch this team. Oh well.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

1996-97 Atlantic Divison Preview

Postby RMJH4 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:52 am

1996-97 Season Preview
Eastern Conference
ATLANTIC DIVISION

New York Knicks
Coach:Jeff Van Gundy

Last Year: 47-35, 2nd, lost to Chicago in East semifinals

Coming: F Larry Johnson, G Allan Houston, G Chris Childs, F Buck Williams, F John Wallace, F Walter McCarty, F Dontae Jones, G Scott Brooks

Going: F Anthony Mason, G Derek Harper, G Hubert Davis

The good: Maneuvering to get in position to do this overhaul. At this time last year, Knicks were being measured for a chalk outline.

The bad: Patrick Ewing's knees, Childs' broken leg, Johnson's defense (compared with Mason's), John Starks' shot selection.

The X factor: To challenge Bulls, F Charles Oakley must have flashback to the Pat Riley years, when he did everything needed of him when Knicks needed it.

Orlando Magic
Coach: Brian Hill

Last year: 60-22, 1st, lost to Chicago in East finals

Coming: C Felton Spencer, G Gerald Wilkins, F Brian Evans, F Derek Strong

Going: C Shaquille O'Neal, G Brooks Thompson

The good: Penny Hardaway, who could make the Magic look a lot like the Bulls if he's used right.

The bad: Hill might not be the one to figure out how to use Hardaway and his mates.

Shaq-spurned Magic are introducing a new mascot: Welch, the Sour Grape.

The X factor: How good are Dennis Scott and Nick Anderson without Shaq to take the heat off? Against Chicago, they didn't look good with Shaq.

Washington Bullets
Coach: Jim Lynam

Last year: 39-43, 4th

Coming: G Rod Strickland, F Harvey Grant, F Tracy Murray, C Lorenzo Williams

Going: F/C Rasheed Wallace, G Mitchell Butler, G Mark Price,

C Jim McIlvaine, G Brent Price, G Robert Pack

The good: The ruling that kept Juwan Howard from going to Miami and let the other Bullets' deals stand.

The bad: Their luck until this summer. We're not convinced it's changed forever yet.

The X factor: Chris Webber hasn't played a full season since he was a Warrior. If he does it this year, the jinx is officially off.

Miami Heat
Coach: Pat Riley

Last year: 42-40,

3rd, lost to Chicago in East first round

Coming: F P.J. Brown, G Dan Majerle, F Martin Muursepp, G Gary Grant, F Ed Pinckney

Going: F Chris Gatling, F Walt Williams, G Rex Chapman, F Tyrone Corbin

The good: Riley's attempt to corner the market was pretty brassy; maybe he knows this executive stuff after all. Tim Hardaway isn't washed up.

The bad: Riley's probably right in saying league had it in for him on Howard ruling, but let's face it: After his ugly departure from New York, he was asking for it.

The X factor: Alonzo Mourning is being paid like an all-world center. He'd better start playing like it, which he didn't against Chicago.

Philadelphia 76ers
Coach: Johnny Davis

Last year: 18-64, 7th

Coming: G Allen Iverson, F/C Michael Cage, F Don MacLean, G Lucious Harris, F Mark Hendrickson, F/G Ryan Minor

Going: G Vernon Maxwell, F Richard Dumas, F Ed Pinckney, G Trevor Ruffin, G/F Sean Higgins

The good: Iverson and Jerry Stackhouse will sell tickets in the new Spectrum. Davis, Pat Croce and Brad Greenberg hosed out practically the entire stable.

The bad: As of now, Nets got the better of the Shawn Bradley-Derrick Coleman deal. Not-so-bold prediction: Iverson won't lead the NBA in assists.

The X factor: Run-and-gun backcourt had better remember they've got a legit 3-man in Clarence Weatherspoon.

Boston Celtics
Coach: M.L. Carr

Last Year: 33-49, 5th

Coming: F Antoine Walker, F/C Frank Brickowski, F Fred Roberts

Going: C Eric Montross, F Doug Smith

The good: The hallowed parquet floor of storied Boston Garden. Too bad it's laid down in the cavernous, antiseptic FleetCenter.

The bad: The basketball acumen of everyone in the organization below Red Auerbach.

The X factor: Everyone is praying nothing goes wrong with Walker, the best Celtic No. 1 pick since Len Bias and Reggie Lewis.

New Jersey Nets
Coach: John Calipari

Last year: 30-52, 6th

Coming: G Kerry Kittles, F/G Vincent Askew, G Robert Pack, F Xavier McDaniel

Going: F David Benoit (tore Achilles tendon, out for season), F P.J. Brown, G Chris Childs, F Armon Gilliam, C Rick Mahorn, G Vern Fleming, G Greg Graham

The good: Shawn Bradley is no longer a complete joke; rebounder Jayson Williams is more than a good punchline.

The bad: If you're counting on the aging, ornery X-man to give your team a lift, you're counting lottery balls already.

The X factor: Wise move in bringing in Don Casey to help Calipari with the transition from college. Why didn't Jerry Tarkanian think of that?
Last edited by RMJH4 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

1996- 97 Season Preview Midwest Division

Postby RMJH4 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:03 am

1996- 97 Season Preview
Western Conference
MIDWEST DIVISION

Houston Rockets
Coach: Rudy Tomjanovich

Last Year: 48-34, 3rd, lost to Seattle in West semifinals

Coming: F Charles Barkley, G Brent Price, F/C Kevin Willis, F Othella Harrington, G Randy Livingston

Going: F Robert Horry, G Sam Cassell, F Mark Bryant, F Chucky Brown, G Kenny Smith, G Eldridge Recasner, F Tim Breaux, F Pete Chilcutt

The good: Three superstars (Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Barkley) for a title run.

The bad: Part of Rockets' secret was depth, chemistry and great role-playing.

The X factor: It says here that Rockets could have returned to Finals last year if they had been healthy. Same goes here, even with aging stars and thin bench.

Utah Jazz
Coach: Jerry Sloan

Last Year: 55-27, 2nd, lost to Seattle in West finals

Coming: G Brooks Thompson

Going: C Felton Spencer, F David Benoit

The good: Karl Malone, John Stockton and Sloan get you 50 wins guaranteed. Jazz are the NBA's Stonehenge.

The bad: Stockton showed his age in West finals against Gary Payton. Jeff Hornacek was unusually hot and cold against Sonics. They'll actually miss Spencer.

The X factor: Can't somebody, anybody, step up from among the other starters and the bench to help shoulder the load? Probably not.

San Antonio Spurs
Coach: Bob Hill

Last Year: 59-23, 1st, lost to Utah in West semifinals

Coming: F Dominique Wilkins, G Vernon Maxwell

Going: G Doc Rivers (retired), F Chuck Person (back surgery, could miss entire season)

The good: David Robinson will again dominate in the regular season, as will his team, which changed virtually nothing in the offseason.

The bad: Robinson is likely to again punk out in the postseason, as will his team.

The X factor: Hill failed in attempts to get contract extended past this year; he's banking his future on the contributions of the ancient Wilkins and the volatile Maxwell.

Dallas Mavericks
Coach: Jim Cleamons

Last Year: 26-56, T5th

Coming: C Eric Montross, F Samaki Walker, G Derek Harper, F/C Chris Gatling, G Jimmy King, C Oliver Miller

Going: F Popeye Jones, C Lorenzo Williams, G Lucious Harris, G Scott Brooks

The good: Cleamons has bagged the Three Js concept, a blot on last season. Harper brings badly needed leadership.

The bad: Toni Braxton's judgment in getting involved with either Jason Kidd or Jim Jackson. What, she couldn't find enough knuckleheads in the music business?

The X factor: Gatling, Montross and Walker could be perfect antidote for team with too much flash and too much ego.

Denver Nuggets
Coach: Bernie Bickerstaff

Last Year: 35-47, 4th

Coming: G Mark Jackson, G/F Ricky Pierce, G Sarunas Marciulionis, C Ervin Johnson, G Jeff McInnis, G Eric Murdock

Going: C Dikembe Mutombo, G Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, G Jalen Rose, F/G Reggie Williams, F Don MacLean

The good: Bickerstaff cleaned house on a team he thought wasn't serious about winning; Jackson and Marciulionis are more his type. So are Antonio McDyess, LaPhonso Ellis and Bryant Stith.

The bad: They'll never admit it, but they'll miss Mutombo's intimidating presence.

The X factor: Few teams turned over personnel as much as Denver; if chemistry develops, it will do so slowly.

Minnesota Timberwolves
Coach: Flip Saunders

Last Year: 26-56, T-5th

Coming: G Stephon Marbury, G James Robinson, C Cherokee Parks, G Chris Carr, C Stojko Vrankovic, G Shane Heal

Going: G Isaiah Rider, C Andrew Lang, G Spud Webb, G Darrick Martin

The good: Everyone's thrilled to be rid of Rider, and to have Marbury and Kevin Garnett. Core, including Tom Gugliotta, is young and exciting.

The bad: Like most teams, Wolves have gaping hole in middle. And who gets the blame if team still stinks and Rider's in Portland?

The X factor: GM Kevin McHale will make or break his front-office rep in the next two years. Good start, though.

Vancouver Grizzlies
Coach: Brian Winters

Last Year: 15-67, 7th

Coming: F Shareef Abdur-Rahim, C Roy Rogers, G Lee Mayberry, G Anthony Peeler, F George Lynch, F Tim Breaux, F Pete Chilcutt

Going: G Gerald Wilkins, F Ashraf Amaya, G Byron Scott, G Eric Murdock, F Chris King, F Anthony Avent

The good: This draft could be dawn of franchise's success.

The bad: Played like a brand-new team last year; had no idea how to get out of a bad streak. Probably won't do it any better this year.

The X factor: There are a lot worse forward-center combos than Abdur-Rahim and Bryant Reeves.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

1996- 97 Central Division Preview

Postby RMJH4 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:19 am

1996 - 97 Season Preview
Eastern Conference
CENTRAL DIVISION

Chicago Bulls
Coach: Phil Jackson

Last year: 72-10, 1st, beat Seattle in NBA Finals

Coming: C Robert Parish

Going: C James Edwards, C Jack Haley, C John Salley

The good: The price Jerry Reinsdorf paid to keep Michael Jordan ($30 million), Dennis Rodman ($9million) and Jackson ($2.5 million) around this year.

The bad: The cap next year, and the prospects of giving Scottie Pippen a market-value contract the year after.

The X factor: They're the best until someone proves otherwise. Anointing the Knicks, Sonics or Rockets is premature.

Indiana Pacers
Coach: Larry Brown

Last year: 52-30, 2nd, lost to Atlanta in East first round

Coming: G Jalen Rose, F/G Reggie Williams, C Erick Dampier

Going: G Mark Jackson, G/F Ricky Pierce

The good: Who stayed -- Reggie Miller, Dale Davis and Antonio Davis, free agents the Pacers kept around. Pistons, take notes.

The bad: Rik Smits' foot won't be healed by opening night. Second-year guard Travis Best takes over at the point, with Brown's blessings (for now).

The X factor: Rose defines this category. Good guy, still growing up, great skills but in search of a niche. Could take team to next level or strand them.

Atlanta Hawks
Coach: Lenny Wilkens

Last year: 46-36, 4th, lost to Orlando in East semifinals

Coming: C Dikembe Mutombo, F Tyrone Corbin, C Priest Lauderdale, G Jon Barry, G Eldridge Recasner

Going: F Grant Long, F Stacey Augmon, G Craig Ehlo, C Sean Rooks

The good: The starting lineup, which includes Mutombo, Christian Laettner, Mookie Blaylock and Steve Smith.

The bad: The depth everywhere, especially at small forward. They're the quintessential victims of the new cap rules, cleaning house to get Mutombo.

The X factor: The winningest, yet still most underrated, coach ever, Lenny Wilkens. May he finally be blessed with talent in Atlanta.

Cleveland Cavaliers
Coach: Mike Fratello

Last year:

47-35, 3rd, lost to New York in East first round

Coming: C Mark West, C Vitaly Potapenko, G Reggie Geary

Going: C Brad Daugherty (retired), G Dan Majerle, C Zyndrunas Ilgauskas (foot surgery, out for season)

The good: Fratello has coached brilliantly, but let's give the likes of Terrell Brandon, Bobby Phills and Chris Mills their due. They can play.

The bad: Center is a mystery. They have no depth, they're boring, and uniforms are hideous.

The X factor: We hereby apologize to GM Wayne Embry for knocking him in this space last year. He managed to win while rebuilding and losing Price, Daugherty and the rest.

Detroit Pistons
Coach: Doug Collins

Last year: 46-36, 5th, lost to Orlando in East first round

Coming: F Grant Long, F Stacey Augmon, G Kenny Smith, F Rick Mahorn, F Jerome Williams

Going: G Allan Houston, C Mark West

The good: Grant Hill, who actually is determined to get meaner. John Bach, prime-time assistant, picked Collins over Jim Cleamons as his new employer.

The bad: Collins' handling of Houston's negotiations, as well as his pursuit of Juwan Howard and Dikembe Mutombo. They're going with center by committee.

The X factor: The roster's full of scrappy, overachieving types, but Collins the GM made the job harder for Collins the coach.

Milwaukee Bucks
Coach: Chris Ford

Last year: 25-57, 7th

Coming: G Ray Allen, C Andrew Lang, F Armon Gilliam, G Elliott Perry, G Moochie Norris

Going: G Lee Mayberry, C Benoit Benjamin, C Kevin Duckworth, F Marty Conlon

The good: VP Mike Dunleavy's moves always look good when he makes them, but these might really pay off. Vin Baker and Glenn Robinson are anchors.

The bad: Robinson hasn't exactly been an ambassador (much less a well-rounded player) so far. Last year's top pick, Shawn Respert, has been a bust.

The X factor: Ford's return to coaching is long overdue, and everyone should find out why when Bucks improve by 10-12 games.

Charlotte Hornets
Coach: Dave Cowens

Last year: 41-41, 6th

Coming: G Kobe Bryant, F Rasheed Wallace, G Derek Fisher, C Ben Wallace

Going: F Larry Johnson, G Kenny Anderson, C Robert Parish

The good: If Kobe actually suits up for the Hornets they have a hell of a prospect on their hands. Rasheed Wallace is another stellar prospect and should play big minutes now he's not stuck behind Webber and Howard. Glen Rice can stroke it with the best, as can Dell Curry.

The bad: Still a soft team. Tom Chambers could help immensely at both ends if he can stay healthy. Muggsy Bogues, injured last season, heads weak point.

The X factor: Cowens merely has to impose his will, his insistence on defense and his Celtic mystique on a patchwork, gap-filled roster. Good luck.

Toronto Raptors
Coach: Darrell Walker

Last year: 21-61, 8th

Coming: F Marcus Camby, F Popeye Jones, G Hubert Davis, F Walt Williams, C Benoit Benjamin

Going: F Tracy Murray, C Oliver Miller, G Jimmy King

The good: Camby is for real, no matter where he plays. Davis could shine away from the pressure of New York. Who knew about Damon Stoudamire?

The bad: No defense, which Walker will strive to correct. A completely inexperienced coach -- who corrects that?

The X factor: VP Isiah Thomas may have pulled off the best series of moves of this offseason in putting the foundation in place. So much for inexperience.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Phone Call from GM Bob Bass.

Postby RMJH4 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:46 pm

Phone Rings...

"Hello Kobe, its Bob Bass here."

"Hey Mr Bass whats up?"

"Good, good. Listen with Vlade retiring we are out of options to trade you to Los Angeles."

"I kind of guessed that Mr Bass, so how does that leave things now?."

"Well look, if you come to training camp, meet the guys, we will actively look for other options for you. We still need a centre. Find us a team with a center, and we can move you out of here."

"Yes, but what are the chances of that? I have to admit you have made some solid moves this offseason Mr Bass. Rasheed Wallace is going to be a good player."

"Yeah we needed to shed some salary and get younger. And a wonderful opportunity to do both just materialised. Its the beauty of staying patient and working the phones."

"Got to admit I'm impressed Mr Bass. Hey look I'll come down and give training camp a chance. Need to keep in top shape for the season ahead."

"Well I appreciate that Kobe. Look forward to seeing you. Heaven forbid you get on with the guys. We've got some wonderful vets here who will challenge you and try to put you in your place as a rookie."

"Wow. Put me in my place? We'll see how that goes down!"

"Like to hear that fighting spirit Kobe. We love that here and Coach Cowens embodies that spirit. See you next week."

Put me in my place? Man I got to show these guys what I'm all about. I can't see anyway I'm playing in Los Angeles anytime soon. I ain't gonna go play in Italy either. Best lace em up and go to work.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

NBA Draft 1996

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:06 pm

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /><link href="http://dynasties.operationsports.com/css/osdyn.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></head><body><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" class="osdyn" width="575"><tr class="masthead_alt"><td bgcolor="#F30910" colspan="6"><span style="color:#1C9FEE">NBA Draft 1996</span></td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="10%">Pick</td><td width="33%">Team</td><td width="33%">Player</td><td align="center" width="8%">Pos</td><td align="center" width="8%">Ht</td><td align="center" width="8%">Wt</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>1</td><td>Philadelphia 76ers</td><td>Allen Iverson</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>2</td><td>Toronto Raptors</td><td>Shareef Abdur-Rahim</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>3</td><td>Boston Celtics from Vancouver Grizzlies</td><td>Stephon Marbury</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>4</td><td>Milwaukee Bucks</td><td>Ray Allen</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>5</td><td>Minnesota Timberwolves</td><td>Antoine Walker</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>6</td><td>Vancouver Grizzlies from Dallas via Boston</td><td>Marcus Camby</td><td align="center">F-C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>7</td><td>Los Angeles Clippers</td><td>Lorenzen Wright</td><td align="center">F-C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>8</td><td>New Jersey Nets</td><td>Kerry Kittles</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>9</td><td>Dallas Mavericks from Boston Celtics</td><td>Samaki Walker</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>10</td><td>Indiana Pacers</td><td>Erick Dampier</td><td align="center">C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>11</td><td>Golden State Warriors</td><td>Todd Fuller</td><td align="center">C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>12</td><td>Cleveland Cavaliers </td><td>Vitaly Potapenko</td><td align="center">C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>13</td><td> L.A. Lakers from Charlotte Hornets</td><td>Kobe Bryant</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>14</td><td>Sacramento Kings</td><td>Peja Stojaković</td><td align="center">G-F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>15</td><td>Phoenix Suns</td><td>Steve Nash</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>16</td><td>Charlotte Hornets</td><td>Tony Delk</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>17</td><td>Portland Trail Blazers</td><td>Jermaine O'Neal</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>18</td><td>New York Knicks from San Antonio Spurs</td><td>John Wallace</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>19</td><td>New York Knicks from Miami Heat</td><td>Walter McCarty</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>20</td><td>Cleveland Cavaliers</td><td>Žydrūnas Ilgauskas</td><td align="center">C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>21</td><td>New York Knicks</td><td>Dontae Jones</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>22</td><td>Vancouver Grizzlies from Houston Rockets</td><td>Roy Rogers</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>23</td><td>Denver Nuggets from Indiana Pacers</td><td>Efthimios Rentzias</td><td align="center">C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>24</td><td>Los Angeles Lakers</td><td>Derek Fisher</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>25</td><td>Miami Heat from Utah Jazz</td><td>Martin Müürsepp</td><td align="center">F-C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>26</td><td>Detroit Pistons from San Antonio Spurs</td><td>Jerome Williams</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>27</td><td>Orlando Magic</td><td>Brian Evans</td><td align="center">F</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>28</td><td>Atlanta Hawks from Seattle Supersonics</td><td>Priest Lauderdale</td><td align="center">C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>29</td><td>Chicago Bulls</td><td>Travis Knight</td><td align="center">F-C</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr></table></body></html>
Last edited by RMJH4 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Nets trade Thornton for Jack

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Nets, Cavs and Celtics exchange players.

Cleveland could be giving LeBron James something to think about, thanks to the Brooklyn Nets and Boston Celtics.
The Cavaliers will ship guard Jarrett Jack to the Nets in a three-team trade, according to multiple reports. The deal would clear enough cap space for a serious run at James, who left Cleveland for Miami in 2010. ESPN’s Marc Stein was first to report the deal.

Brooklyn would also get Sergey Karasev, reports said. General manager Ronnie Hobbs would be giving up guard Marcus Thornton to the Boston Celtics and the rights to three prospects to the Cavaliers.

Here are the details:

Boston Celtics get: Marcus Thornton-Tyler Zeller, Cavs 2016 protected pick. Top 10 in '16, '17 or '18. Unprotected in '19.

Brooklyn Nets get: Cleveland's Jarrett Jack and Sergey Karasev.

Cleveland Cavs get: Draft rights to Nets prospects: Karaman/Drejer/Bavcic. And cap space -- more than the $20.7M needed -- to sign James.

The Cavaliers have been trying to clear enough cap space to lure a big-time free agent — James, anyone? — with a max contract. This certainly opens the door to that possibility. Or could it be to Carmelo Anthony? Keep tuned as LeBrons Decision 2.0 looms large.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

James to Heat or Cavs?

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 pm

LeBron to choose between Cavs and Heat

In an juicy twist of irony, free agent LeBron James will choose between his home state team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, that he scorned four years ago by bolting to Miami, or return to the Heat.

The Cavs sure are making the effort to attract James; they will trade guard Jarrett Jack to the Brooklyn Nets in a three-team deal that will free up more money under the salary cap to offer to James. Yahoo! Sports reported that while James’ agent has met or had discussions with the Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets, the league’s premier player will either return to the Heat or rejoin the Cavaliers.

Miami president Pat Riley flew to Las Vegas, where James is hosting his annual basketball camp, to meet with the superstar on Wednesday. It was Riley who convinced James to leave his home team and chart new territory in Miami, where the Heat won two titles and made it to the NBA Finals all four of James’ years there.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Nets have agreed to take on the contracts of Jack and young player Sergey Karasey from the Cavaliers in a swap that also will see the Celtics acquire Brooklyn’s Marcus Thornton, Cleveland’s Tyler Zeller and a future first-round pick from the Cavaliers. The Cavs will have to acquire at least one future second-rounder from either Brooklyn or Boston to complete the transaction.

The moves would give the Cavaliers $21.7 million in cap space. Meanwhile, ESPN’s Chris Broussard reported that the Cavaliers are also now trying to strike a deal with Heat free agent guard Ray Allen as a means of enticing James even more into a return to Cleveland.
Riley is working, however. He reached agreements to sign center-forward Josh McRoberts and forward Danny Granger on Monday.
The meeting with Riley on Wednesday is believed to be the last meeting James has participated in since opting out of the final two years and $42 million of his Heat contract.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Phone call with Sam Presti

Postby RMJH4 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 am

Phone Rings...

"Hello Ronnie, its Sam Presti here."said Presti

"Hey Sam how are you? Didn't expect to hear from you!" said Hobbs

"Yeah I wouldnt have thought so. Have you talked to Paul and KG yet?"said Presti

"Just a little this morning. Why?" said Hobbs

Just gauging if you are keeping them and they are happy with Jason leaving." said Presti

"Yes they are fine, just wondering what direction i'm heading in. Upgrades etc, but happy enough here." said Hobbs

OK. Are you happy to stand still? I might have an intriguing offer for you. There are several different variations of this one." said Presti

"Hmm. Go on fire away Sam." said Hobbs

"Well we didnt progress how we wanted this year. Our roster doesn't fit properly anymore. I think we've hit a road block that wont be moved in San Antonio. We'd be interested in taking on Deron." said Presti

"Wow. Well with all the bad media coverage out there about his ops I didn't expect to hear that. But I'm listening" said Hobbs

"Well two ball dominant guys aren't working for us. I would like to take KG and Paul off you aswell." said Presti

"OK i see where you are going here. If you're going to offer me Russell in return I can certainly guarantee you those two guys. I really like Paul and KG, but man we could do with Westbrook over here. Any interest in a Deron and Brook package?"said Hobbs

"Lopez? Well i'm not sure. I'd have to think about that. I think Deron can hit top form with us again, but Brook i'm not sure about. Tough injury to recover from. So what i'd like is, Deron, KG, Paul and something else draft pick or international rights maybe?" said Presti

"So let me guess you are giving up Westbrook, Perkins, Collison and who?They almost match up salary wise. I'll talk to Paul about what he'd be willing to take salary wise. I think we can work something out. The Mini MLE would work out salary wise for you. 3.33 mil S&T?" said Hobbs

"Ok, let it sit with me. Em something like Perry Jones as the 4th guy? That contract would be perfect, a player option in the 2nd year too, we can resign him for more the following year." said Presti

"I think that's about even talent wise." said Hobbs

"Now we're making progress. Deron, KG, Paul (Contract Dependent) for Westbrook, Perkins, Collison and Jones. Any chance we can take next years Bucks 2nd Rounder too?" said Presti

"Hey why not! I don't really want it, you don't have much faith in J-Kidd either!" said Hobbs

"OK I'll run this through upstairs. Keep it quiet, we both could take some backlash from this one." said Presti

"I'll run it by Lionel, see what he thinks. Cheers Sam" said Hobbs

Is he serious? Russell Westbrook for anything we have? He could have the keys to the Barclays Center for him if he wanted! Wait til Lionel and Mikhail hear about this. KG and Paul will be big losses, but they are almost 40 and on the downhill. They get to join the 2nd best team in the west, they have to be interested. Daylight Robbery for me though! Its Winning Time baby!
Last edited by RMJH4 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

LeBron signs with Cavs

Postby RMJH4 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:01 pm

LeBron James sign with Cavs

The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed free agent forward LeBron James, Cavaliers General Manager David Griffin announced today. Per league policy, terms of the contract were not released.

"We could not be happier to welcome LeBron James home. Yesterday, LeBron, through his essay, told us he wasn't going anywhere except Cleveland and that 'Cleveland is where he always believed he would finish his career.' These words and commitment put all of us, including LeBron, in the best position to build our franchise the right way and achieve the kind of goals we all know are possible. Expectations will be at the highest levels but no one should expect immediate and automatic success," said Griffin.

"LeBron's motivation to return home is clearly fueled by the kind of emotions and ideals that we can and should embrace. The contract and those details are secondary to his commitment to Northeast Ohio and the Cavaliers. It extends well beyond the boundaries of basketball and speak to his love and passion for his family, home, and our fans. He communicated his role and growth as a husband, father, teammate, community leader, and business person. This resonated in a special and personal way for all of us. LeBron put it well when he stated; 'In Northeast Ohio, nothing is given. Everything is earned.' We can't wait to get started and look forward to his leadership, on and off the court, for many years to come."

The Akron, Ohio native returns to the Cavaliers where he remains the franchise's leader in points scored (15,251), scoring average (27.8 PPG) field goals made (5,415) and attempted (11,403), free throws made (3,650) and attempted (4,917), steals (955) and minutes played (22,119). He also ranks second in team history in three-pointers made (771), second in assists (3,810), third in defensive rebounds (3,183), fourth in blocks (482), fifth in total rebounds (3,861) and is tied for seventh in games played (548).

An advocate for change and community responsibility, James launched the LeBron James Family Foundation in 2004 with a mission to positively affect the lives of children and young adults through education and co-curricular educational initiatives. In 2011, in partnership with the Akron Public Schools, his foundation launched its pillar program, "Wheels for Education", with its mission to improve graduation rates in Akron. In 2012, James pledged $1 million to renovate his old stomping grounds at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School as the completion of The LeBron James Arena had its ceremonial grand opening on December 14, 2013. He and his foundation also work regularly with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, renovating a local Boys and Girls Club in every All-Star host city each year, an initiative that began in 2008 in New Orleans.

James is a four-time MVP (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013), a two-time NBA champion (2012, 2013) and a two-time Olympic gold medalist (2008, 2012). The 6-8 forward has also garnered other numerous achievements over his career including: Ten-time NBA All-Star (2005--2014), two-time NBA All-Star Game MVP (2006, 2008), eight-time All-NBA First Team selection (2006, 2008--2014), two-time All-NBA Second Team selection (2005, 2007) and five-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selection (2009--2013). James was originally drafted by the Cavs with the first overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft and went on to earn the NBA's Rookie of the Year Award in 2003-04.
James has played in 842 games (841 starts) with career averages of 27.5 points, 7.2 rebounds, 6.9 assists and 1.7 steals in 39.5 minutes per game with Cleveland and Miami. LeBron has the third highest scoring average in NBA history to go along with 37 career triple-doubles and 267 career double-doubles. He has scored in double figures on 834 occasions, including 701 games with at least 20 points, 339 games with 30-or-more points, 52 40-point performances and 10 50-plus efforts. James will begin the 2014-15 season having scored in double figures a career-high 572 consecutive games, a streak that began on Jan. 6, 2007. He has scored over 2,000 points in nine of the last 10 seasons and has averaged at least 20 points in all 11 of his NBA seasons.

This past year, James was selected to the All-NBA First Team and All-Defensive Second Team after averaging 27.1 points (ranked third in NBA) on a career-best .567 shooting from the field (fourth in NBA), 6.9 rebounds, 6.3 assists and 1.6 steals in 37.7 minutes over 77 games (all starts). He was the only player in the league to average at least 20 points, six rebounds and six assists. The two-time NBA Finals MVP also led Miami to its fourth straight NBA Finals appearance during the 2013-14 season. For his postseason career, he has appeared in 158 playoff contests with averages of 28.0 points, 8.4 rebounds, 6.4 assists and 1.7 steals in 42.5 minutes per game.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Rumors

Postby RMJH4 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:55 am

RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Blockbuster shot down by OKC

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:55 am

D- Will and Westbrook Blockbuster Trade shot down by OKC ownership

In a trade that would have shocked the NBA world, Russell Westbrook and Deron Williams almost swapped teams. The OKC Thunder needed to make some changes to beat the NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs this coming season. Nobody could have foreseen this change. Williams looked shaky all last season for the Nets and struggled to perform consistently all season. OKC wanted to do this trade to add the championship experience of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Incase that wasnt enough the Nets threw in the rights to Bojan Bogdanovic, the promising European player.

It was due to be a big but risky haul for the Thunder. The Nets were slated to get back the expiring contracts of post defender Kendrick Perkins, and Nick Collison. Perry Jones III was an interesting throw in. Neither Perkins nor Collison hold a lot of value for the Nets, but the Brooklyn franchise needed a major shakeup. And it looks like GM Ronnie Hobbs almost did it, but you wonder if he has been reading the Billy King handbook. He didn't give up any future draft picks (Not like they have any to give...) but adding in Bogdanovic to get the deal done could have come back to haunt them.

The Thunder on the other hand were really banking on Pierce, Williams and KG stepping up to the mark of their once outstanding careers. Their experience will be vital, but they need to contribute to make this worthwhile. An unprecedented risk by GM Sam Presti, who has still been trying to make up for the James Harden trade.
When Presti presented the trade to OKC ownership, they were at first intrigued. But when they asked Kevin Durant's opinion on the trade, it was game over for Presti. Westbrook and Durant are very close, and they believe they can win together. You have to think that Presti will be on shaky ground after this attempted trade.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

#thefallout

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:06 am

Williams, Pierce, Garnett unhappy in Brooklyn

With the dust settling on the failed blockbuster trade between OKC and Brooklyn, several players have been extremely unhappy. Durant on the OKC end, is sticking up for his buddy Russell Westbrook. Obviously Westy is pretty unhappy that Presti thought Deron Williams could get it done in OKC instead of him.

On the Brooklyn side, Paul Pierce who is technically out of contract was apparently only going to resign with the Nets to make this trade go through. Pierce seems set on a reunion with Doc Rivers in Los Angeles. KG is also keen to follow Doc to LA LA land and is believed to be asking GM Hobbs to find a way to make this happen.

Hobbs who is obviously disappointed his major roster shakeup has been rebuffed is said to be exhausting every avenue to give new coach Lionel Hollins more to work with. Hollins has his idea of the talent that he needs to work with and Hobbs seems to be keen to give Hollins a clean slate to work with ASAP.

Surely Brooklyn is now at risk of losing Pierce to free agency. Who else might follow him out the door?!
Last edited by RMJH4 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Livingston signs with Warriors

Postby RMJH4 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:23 am

Livingston signs with Warriors

The Golden State Warriors have signed free agent guard Shaun Livingston to a contract, the team announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

Livingston, 28, appeared in a career-high 76 games with the Brooklyn Nets last season, averaging 8.3 points, 3.2 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 1.22 steals in 26.0 minutes per contest. The 6’7” guard established single-season career-highs for games started (54), minutes played (1,974), points scored (629), rebounds (246), and steals (93). He scored in double figures a career-high 27 times, including a career-high four games of 20-or-more points. The Nets posted a 35-19 mark with Livingston in the starting lineup and a 19-4 record when he played 31 minutes-or-more. In 12 playoff games, he averaged 9.7 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.3 assists, while shooting 51.2 percent from the field.

“We are very happy that Shaun made the decision to join our team,” said Warriors General Manager Bob Myers. “He is a veteran player who, we believe, adds a lot to our roster with his versatility. He possesses the size and skills to play both backcourt positions, which will provide Coach Kerr with added depth and options throughout the season.”
Last edited by RMJH4 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

NBA Summer League Orlando 2014

Postby RMJH4 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:15 am

Orlando Summer League Highlights 2014

Game 1 Brooklyn Nets 101 - 81 Indiana Pacers

Plumlee throws down the jam off a Gutierrez pass.

Brooklyn Nets
M. Teague
M. Brown
S. Karasev
J. McAdoo
M. Plumlee

Nets Leaders
Pts - M. Plumlee - 23
Rebs - J.McAdoo - 9
Asts - Gutierrez - 6

Game 2 Miami Heat 101 - 91 Brooklyn Nets

DeQuan Jones with the break away slam.

Brooklyn Nets
J. Gutierrez
M. Brown
D. Jones
J. McAdoo
M. Plumlee

Nets Leaders
Pts - M. Plumlee - 18
Rebs - S. Karasev - 6
Asts - M. Brown - 6

Game 3 OKC Thunder 91 - 81 Brooklyn Nets

Markel Brown was superb at attacking the rim.

Brooklyn Nets
J. Carson
M. Brown
D. Jones
J. McAdoo
M. Plumlee

Nets Leaders
Pts - M. Plumlee - 14
Rebs - M. Plumlee - 7
Asts - J. Gutierrez - 5

Game 4 Philadelphia 76ers 92 - 86 Brooklyn Nets

Markel Brown was fearless again tonight.

Brooklyn Nets
J. Carson
M. Brown
S. Karasev
J. McAdoo
M. Plumlee

Nets Leaders
Pts - M. Brown - 17
Rebs - M. Plumlee - 15
Asts - J. Carson - 3

Game 5 Houston Rockets 101 - 75 Brooklyn Nets

Brown throws it down. He was a highlight reel all weekend

Brooklyn Nets
J. Carson
M. Brown
S. Karasev
J. McAdoo
A. Omic

Nets Leaders
Pts - M. Brown - 19
Rebs - J. McAdoo - 6
Asts - M. Brown - 3

Brooklyn Nets Summer League MVP 2014

#22 Markel Brown 15.5ppg, 3.0rpg, 2.5apg
Last edited by RMJH4 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Re: Winning Time. Westbrook to BKN!

Postby BlondAvek on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Not a huge fan of Westbrook but good luck anyways. Markel looks like a solid prospect.
BlondAvek

Nets Offseason Moves

Postby RMJH4 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:15 am

Brooklyn Nets Roster almost set

Nets sign Rookie SG Markel Brown to 2 yr contract.

Nets sign Rookie PF James McAdoo to 2 yr contract.

Nets waive PG Marquis Teague and his remaining contract.

Nets waive PG Jorge Gutierrez and his remaining contract.

The Nets chose not to sign rookie Jahii Carson after his poor showing at the summer league.
Last edited by RMJH4 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMJH4
Retro NBA Nut

Next

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood