- Here We Build - The end of an era

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

- Here We Build - The end of an era

Postby Vespasian92 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:08 am

"We are able to report to you that the NBA Board of Governors voted to reject the relocation of the Sacramento Kings to Seattle..."

With those words, a fanbase was revived. Revived with the same passion that they had felt for 8 straight years of playoff-caliber basketball. With the NBA rejecting the fear that had hung heavy on the hearts of Kings' fans for multiple losing seasons, they had a reason to cheer again. They finally had some genuine hope of seeing their team become competitve again. The Arco Thunder that had previously risen from every Peja triple and C-Webb slam could return. The deafening ring of cowbells from clutch back-to-back game winners from Mike Bibby or every punch Christie threw at Rick Fox is coming. A new beginning is here, and Sacramento is ready.

Sacramento Kings Starters

- Reggie Jackson - Iman Shumpert - Rudy Gay - John Henson - Demarcus Cousins -

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sacramento Kings Reserves

- Ben McLemore - Ray McCallum - Quincy Acy - Jason Thompson - Allen Crabbe - Luc Mbah a Moute - Vladimir Sankovic

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sacramento Kings Inactives

- Trent Lewis - Devin Hopkins -

ImageImage

Depth Chart

PG - Jackson/McCallum
SG - Shumpert/McLemore/Crabbe/Hopkins
SF - Gay/Mbah a Moute/Sankovic
PF - Henson/Acy
C - Cousins/Thompson/Lewis

Settings

Platform: 2K14 PC
Roster: Kova's Because We Can
Season Length: 82 Games
Playoff Format: 7-7-7-7
Team Chemistry: On
Player Roles: On
Progressive Fatigue: On
Trade Deadline: On
Allow CPU Trades: On
Trade Override: Off
Preseason Games: Off
Quarter Length: 12 minutes
Sim Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Sliders: Custom
Difficulty: All-Star
Injuries: On
Fatigue: On
Last edited by Vespasian92 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 94 times in total.
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - 2K14 Sacramento Kings Association

Postby Vespasian92 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:08 am

Last edited by Vespasian92 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:46 am, edited 31 times in total.
Vespasian92

Postby Vespasian92 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:09 am

For the latest Kings
news, blogs, interviews,
and highlights.

Sacramento Kings 2014 Season Preview

2012-13 Season: 28-54
Notable Additions: Greivis Vasquez, Carl Landry, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Ben McLemore (R), Ray McCallum (R)
Notable Departures: Tyreke Evans, Toney Douglas, Cole Aldrich, James Johnson

Kings C Demarcus Cousins has received a fresh start from new majority owner Vivek Ranadive

To describe the atmosphere around Sacramento, words like excitement, revival, and anticipation would be accurate. Following a busy summer which saw what may be a decade's worth of changes for some franchises occur in a few months, there is reason for Kings fans to be optimistic. Such changes include new ownership, new coaching and FO staff, and changes to the Kings roster.

The beginning of the revival story takes place in New York on May 17th. The NBA Board of Governors rejected the Maloof family's request to sell the franchise to a Seattle-based group and move the team. This came in the wake of significant efforts by Sacramento Mayor and former NBA All-Star Kevin Johnson, grassroots efforts in Sacramento, and a comparable offer from an ownership group led by Vivek Ranadive to keep the team in Sacramento. The Maloof family subsequently sold the team to Ranadive's group for $535M and closed the book on a turbulent era in Kings history which had witnessed its highs and lows.

Ranadive quickly set to work, hiring coveted commodities in the FO and on the sidelines in Pete D'Alessandro and Michael Malone. D'Alessandro moved to Sacramento's GM position from Denver, where he was the right hand to Executive of the Year Masai Ujiri. Malone gets his first chance as a head coach, after several influential and productive assistant roles with Lebron's Cavs, CP3's Hornets, and most recently as the associate head coach in Golden State to Marc Jackson.

As for the team itself, the new leaders wasted little time in making improvements. They were ecstatic when Kansas G Ben McLemore fell to them at pick #7, and also picked up small-school Ray McCallum from Detriot early in the second round. They dealt with Tyreke Evans' pending free agency by negotiating a sign-and-trade with the Pelicans for pass-first point guard Greivis Vasquez. Finishing 3rd in APG and 2nd in MIP voting last season, Vasquez brings the Kings their best playmaker in years, maybe since Jason Williams. They also acquired Luc Richard Mbah a Moute from the Bucks and reacquired Carl Landry via free agency.

But perhaps the most notable move was the 4-year contract extension worth $62M they gave talented but volatile bigman Demarcus Cousins. Promoting him as the face of the franchise, they have given Cousins everything he needs to develop into an all-star frontcourt player in the NBA. With a pure PG in Vasquez to give him easy baskets, arguably the purest shooter as a rookie since Ray Allen in McLemore, and a Hall-of-Famer in Shaquille O'Neal on board as a part owner and mentor to DMC, there are no more excuses. The Kings are all-in on Big Cuz, for better or worse.

With more depth than they have enjoyed in many seasons, position battles will abound in the early going for the Kings. Can Vasquez develop enough chemistry with Cousins to warrant starting above Isaiah Thomas, who already has an excellent relationship with the Kings center? Mbah a Moute is the highest-caliber small forward to pass through Sacramento since Ron Artest, but is he a stop-gag or something more? Will his knees even hold up well enough to be a significant contributor for the Kings? Will Ben McLemore overtake the incumbent Thornton to start sooner rather than later? Will Patterson, Landry, or Thompson claim the minutes next to Cousins? New coach Mike Malone will have choices aplenty.
Vespasian92

Postby Vespasian92 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:28 am

For the latest Kings
news, blogs, interviews,
and highlights.

Meeting our rookies

Ben McLemore:

Ben's story is the stuff of legends. This is the story of triumph and hard work over adversity – success against all odds. This is the stuff movies are made of. This is a young man, when he was a kid, didn't know where his next meal was going to come from, and he went on to become part of and shine at one of the country's great basketball programs. I know what Ben's motto is 'Stay humble, stay hungry,' and these are words we can live by, as well. - Kings owner Vivek Ranadive

Coming from a difficult background growing up in Wellston, Missouri, McLemore recalls his family's struggles to make ends meet. There were times when they had no food, or had to live without electricity or hot water. Along with his older brother, he tried to find odd jobs to help pay for the necessities his family needed. Ben recalled that he looked up to his brother a lot because of his hard work in helping to provide for the family. But when Ben was only 15, his older brother was arrested and began serving a 15-year prison sentence. With his brother now out of the picture, McLemore then did whatever he could to try and help support his mother and siblings after the event, knowing he needed to step up. Similar financial struggles for his family continued through most of his high school life.

Through an incredible amount of hard work and determination, McLemore caught the attention of the Kansas Jayhawks' coaching and scouting staff at the university's basketball camp he attented before his junior year in highschool. His hard work paved his way, transferring through Oak Hill Aacdemy and then through Christian Life Center, to get to Kansas. After sitting out from basketball activities his first year to gain academic eligibility, McLemore burst onto the scene for the Jayhawks, opening eyes with his athleticism and shooting touch. He became the first Kansas freshman to score 30+ points in two inter-conference games. Using his strong college season with the Jayhawks to proper his NBA draft stock, McLemore was a legitimate candidate to go first overall in the wide-open draft class. But despite the dramatic improvements that have taken place in his personal situation, Ben hasn't forgotten where he came from. Looking forward to the draft and a career in the NBA, Ben said he wanted to take care of his mother and siblings.

"When I walk across that stage, I know I've made it and I can provide for my family. It's a blessing. It's an opportunity and I've put a lot of thought into it." - Kings G Ben McLemore, before being selected in the 2013 NBA Draft

In addition to helping his family, McLemore also doesn't want to forget about his impoverished community and what he learned there.

"I'm never going to forget Wellston. It's where I grew up. It's my heart and my pride. The people are great here. I'm going to give back. I was born and raised here. I'm a humble person. The community knows that. I want to build it back to how it was and be a happier place than it was." - Kings G Ben McLemore, speaking of his hometown

After wearing #23 at Kansas, McLemore chose to wear #16 for the Kings to represent his mother and her 6 children.

Ray McCallum:
The son of a collegiate player and coach, Ray McCallum Jr. learned to focus on the fundamentals from an early age. While his father, Ray Sr. was coaching at Ball State, Ray Jr. would take part in the 'Little Cardinals' dribbling squad that performed at halftime of Ball St. games. At the age of 6, Ray was the youngest of the 25 or 30 'Little Cardinals'. McCallum received attention throughout his elementary and high-school years, as in 4th grade he was named one of the nation's top 5 players. He was namesd a McDonald's All-American, and received college offers from UCLA, Florida, Oklahoma, and Arizona.

But instead, Ray Jr. made a choice about what his priorities were. For the next 3 years, he played under the coaching hand of his father at Detroit. In 2011-12, the McCallums led Detriot to win the Horizon League and their first NCAA Tournament berth in 13 years. Ray averaged 18.7 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 4.7 APG, and 1.9 SPG in his final season at Detroit. McCallum declared for the 2013 draft and was selected 36th overall by the Kings. Ray Jr. gives his father's guidance credit in helping him achieve his goals.

"He's taught me really to become a leader on and off the court, he's helped better my game and taught to me to become a winner. My dad was always tough on me, and when I say tough on me, I don't mean yelling and cursing and getting in my face. No, he was always pushing me and trying to get the best out of me in the right way and I thank him for that." - Kings G Ray McCallum, on his relationship with his father.

RL sources:
USA Today
ESPN
Kings Blog
Sactown Royalty
Vespasian92

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 am

Great to have you back man! :D
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
X-Men: The Animated Series ×
× Watched:
Blazing Saddles (1974), Signs (2002), The Other (1972) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Vespasian92 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:36 am

For the latest Kings
news, blogs, interviews,
and highlights.

Landry to have surgery, will miss 2-4 months

The Sacramento Kings announced today that free agent acquisition Carl Landry will miss at least 2 months after surgery to repair
a Torn Hip Flexor. Landry missed all of the preseason with a Strained Quad, and it is unclear if the two injuries were related. He
will likely return to action for the Kings before or at the All-Star break in February.

Landry signed a 4yr/$26M deal with Sacramento this offseason, following coach Michael Malone from Golden State. Landry previously
played in Sacramento in parts of the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons, and averaged career-highs of 18.0 PPG and 6.5 RPG in 28 games for the
Kings in 2010-11. He was traded to NO in exchange for Marcus Thornton early in 2011.
Last edited by Vespasian92 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vespasian92

Postby Its_asdf on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 am

Sucks that Landry's hurt, but at the same time it's no big deal considering the Kings have like a million power forwards. If it will give Jason Thompson more playing time I can't be too unhappy about it. (Y) That guy is a pretty solid role player but he always seems to be pretty low in the Kings depth chart ever since his rookie year.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Vespasian92 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:58 am

#thierry wrote:Great to have you back man! :D

I'm glad to get started again. Of course it depends on my schedule, but I'd like to stick with this long-term for multiple seasons as I had initially planned.

Its_asdf wrote:Sucks that Landry's hurt, but at the same time it's no big deal considering the Kings have like a million power forwards. If it will give Jason Thompson more playing time I can't be too unhappy about it. (Y) That guy is a pretty solid role player but he always seems to be pretty low in the Kings depth chart ever since his rookie year.

Well, it sometimes bothers me if my guys have serious injuries and I don't reflect that in the roster, especially when I haven't even started the season yet. It certainly makes me rely on Patterson and Thompson, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was actually sad when I had to give up Patterson in the Tyreke trade in my previous association, so I want to keep him around.

I am looking at targets and entertaining trade ideas if I find I do need another big. I actually have too many guards, with Jimmer and McCallum not really set to get much floor time. It may be difficult to do so, but do you guys want to see me keep Jimmer and try to create a role and some time for him?
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (1-0)

Postby Vespasian92 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:48 am

Kings Rise in Electric Home Opener

Chemistry-building between Demarcus Cousins and Greivis Vasquez received a strong start.

In front of a sold-out crowd in Sac-town, the Kings looked to begin the season with a W. With a great array of festivities and introductions before the game and during halftime, Sacramento fans were acknowledged by the likes of Majority Owner Vivek Ranadive, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, and Commissioner David Stern. The celebratory atmosphere eventually gave way to the other matter of buisness however; the beginning of a new NBA season and a new era in Sacramento.

New additions Greivis Vasquez and Luc Mbah a Moute started the game for the Kings and played relatively well. Mbah a Moute did little offensively, but did secure 8 rebounds in 30 minutes of play. Having the Cameroon Prince stay healthy enough to contribute 30 minutes of strong man defense every night would be a great boost for the Kings. Vasquez had an effective night, with 8 points and 5 rebounds to go with his 9 assists.

The recipient of many of the Venezuelan's passes, Demarcus Cousins struggled from the field, shooting below 33%. Cousins still worked to take his new leadership mantle, as Coach Malone plans to start running more offense through him on the block. Criticized last season for settling on mid-range jumpers too frequently on offense, Cousins is expected to do the majority of his work in the paint this season by the Kings new coach. In tonight's game, Cousins got to the line at a decent rate in addition to accumulating 11 rebounds. His low shooting percentage and multiple turnovers were likely a result of forcing the wrong play instead of passing the ball.

But perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Kings' play on the court this year will be their depth. Now with the ability to muster last season's starter, Isaiah Thomas, Coach Mike Malone has flexibility with his rotations. None of his starters played more than 33 minutes in tonight's game, and instead had 5 reserves play for double-digit minutes led by Thomas' 20. Another previous starter, Jason Thompson, produced an effective 18 minutes with 10 points and 7 rebounds. Exciting Kings rookie Ben McLemore didn't hesitate when he was offered quality shots, but shot a pedestrian 40% in his debut.

Despite a strong game from Danilo Gallinari, offensive struggles of Ty Lawson and Wilson Chandler doomed the Nuggets' chances as they couldn't overcome Sacramento's 11-point 4th quarter lead. Much of that can be attributed to Sacramento's improved defensive efforts. Famous for improving team's defenses in NO and GS, Malone's emphasis showed in the preseason and again tonight. They held the Nuggets to 90 points and below 40% shooting in the game.

Most notable from tonight's game was probably the intense atmosphere in the arena. The mood had soured between the fans and previous owners in the last few years before the sale of the team, and had left fans in an awkward position. They were unhappy with the lack of direction the franchise had and were loathe to spend their money for owners who no longer cared. Yet they loved their team and many feared their chances to see their Kings perform were running out. Fans were left divided as the uncertainty dragged on last season. But the Sacramento faithful were all too excited to make a statement in the season opener and support both their team and the new owner. Vivek Ranadive further endeared himself to Kings fans with his announcement that "This is your team, and it's here to stay". In the win, many Kings players, especially Vasquez, Thomas, and Cousins, fed off the energy of the crowd.

"I mean, the fans were incredible. They really helped us get through this game tonight, probably wouldn't have got this win without them." - Kings C Demarcus Cousins

"Last year's home opener was pretty good, but this year's was unbelievable. The fans came out, it felt like one of the games versus the Lakers when Shaq got to them. That's how loud it was, it was great. These fans are one of a kind and hopefully they keep it going this whole year. - Kings G Isaiah Thomas

The Kings' next contest will be against the Clippers on Friday, which will also be in Sacramento. They then head to Oakland for their first road game of the season against the Warriors.

For the latest Kings
news, blogs, interviews,
and highlights.

Kings sign training camp invitee N'Diaye
The Sacramento Kings announced that they have finalized a deal to add C Hamady N'Diaye to their 15-man roster. He played with Sacramento in the preseason, averaging 0.8 PPG and 0.6 RPG in 5.0 MPG. He also played with the Kings' training camp roster in 2012. N'Diaye adds a rim-protecting presence the Kings' roster currently lacks, as well as provides frontcourt depth in the wake of Carl Landry's injury.

The Sengalese native played in college at Rutgers, and was drafted late in the second round in 2010. He appeared in 19 games for the Wizards from 2010-2012, and played last season in China.
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (1-0)

Postby Its_asdf on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:54 am

Good start to the season, just like the actual Kings' regular season sans the dominant Cousins performance. I'm not the biggest fan of the Kings roster at the moment, but I do like the point guard dynamic that they have. Vasquez is a pretty good distributor and Thomas can come off the bench and take more of a scoring oriented role at the one.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (2-2)

Postby Vespasian92 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:20 am

Crawford, CP3 subdue Kings
After losing their first two games of the season against the Lakers and Warriors, Clippers new coach Doc Rivers was determined to turn their early season around in Sacramento. In front of another sold-out Sacramento crowd, the Kings failed to match the outcome in the opener. Sacramento kept it a close game until halftime, only trailing by one at the break. But it was all L.A. in the third, as Chris Paul and Jamal Crawford erupted to lead a Clippers' 16-4 run. The Clippers won the third quarter by 10, and cruised to the 104-93 road victory. Paul and Crawford had 19 a piece, and Isaiah Thomas matched with 19 of his own for the Kings in the loss.
Clippers: 104
Kings: 93

Los Angeles Clippers Top Performers
Chris Paul: 19 PTS - 7 REB - 10 AST - 9/14 FG
Jamal Crawford: 19 PTS - 3 REB - 3 AST - 6/12 FG
Blake Griffin: 14 PTS - 12 REB - 5/10 FG
Jared Dudley: 13 PTS - 6 REB - 6/22 FG - 1/7 3PT FG

Sacramento Kings Top Performers
Isaiah Thomas: 19 PTS - 2 AST - 7/16 FG - 22 MIN
Demarcus Cousins: 16 PTS - 14 REB - 7/14 FG
Marcus Thornton: 12 PTS - 4 REB - 4 AST - 5/14 FG
Greivis Vasquez: 12 PTS - 4 REB - 6 AST - 3/12 FG

Warriors outwork Kings at home
There is little to be said about this game, because the stats tell it all. The Warriors put on an energized performance for their fans at Oracle to beat their Nor-Cal rivals. The Warriors' defense held the Kings to below 40% shooting and outrebounded Sacramento by 18. In addition to their impressive defensive display, Stephen Curry's 27 points were enough to secure the blowout win.
Warriors: 121
Kings: 88

Golden State Warriors Top Performers
Stephen Curry: 27 PTS - 4 AST - 8/19 FG - 9/9 FT
David Lee: 23 PTS - 11 REB - 7/10 FG
Harrison Barnes: 14 PTS - 7 REB - 6/12 FG
Klay Thompson: 10 PTS - 3 REB - 4/9 FG - 18 MIN

Demarcus Cousins: 21 PTS - 11 REB - 7/19 FG - 7/11 FT
Patrick Patterson: 12 PTS - 9 REB - 5/11 FG
Marcus Thornton: 11 PTS - 2/6 FG - 7/8 FT
Greivis Vasquez: 8 PTS - 7 AST - 3/6 FG

Kings rebound with offensive prowess
After disappointing losses following an exciting opening night win, the Kings seemed determined to bounce back with a strong performance against the visiting Hawks. Playing this season without Josh Smith, the Hawks are looking to make some changes after years of early playoff exits. Offseason signee Paul Millsap only played 19 minutes in this contest, as he was plagued by foul trouble. The Kings' defense honed in on backcourt duo Jeff Teague and Lou Williams, who struggled from the field tonight. For the Kings, they received efficient offensive contributions from multiple players. Perhaps much of the credit should go to Grevis Vasquez's 17-8 performance, providing offense personally as well as setting up teammates. 5 players for Sacramento scored at least 15 points as the Kings came away with the 111-99 win.
Kings: 111
Hawks: 99

After being forgotten on Sacramento's bench for two seasons, Travis Outlaw has received a chance under Coach Malone

Demarcus Cousins: 24 PTS - 10 REB - 10/12 FG
Marcus Thornton: 17 PTS - 3 REB - 3 AST - 6/9 FG
Greivis Vasquez: 17 PTS - 5 REB - 8 AST - 6/13 FG
Travis Outlaw: 16 PTS - 4 REB - 6/12 FG - 19 MIN

Atlanta Hawks Top Performers
Lou Williams: 29 PTS - 4 REB - 5 AST - 10/27 FG -3/13 3PT FG
Jeff Teague: 23 PTS - 6 AST - 9/19 FG
Al Horford: 12 PTS - 14 REB - 5/9 FG
Paul Millsap: 2 PTS - 5 REB - 6 FLS - 19 MIN

NBA Notes:
Thunder win 5th straight, now 5-0 overall.
76ers lose 5th straight, now 0-5 overall.

NBA Injury Updates:
Bulls C Joakim Noah out 1-2 weeks with Hyperextended Knee.
Pelicans G Eric Gordon 6-8 weeks Broken Back.
Wizards G Bradley Beal out 2-4 weeks with Torn Meniscus.

NBA Transactions:
Jazz extend C Andris Biedrins with 5yr/$12.29M deal.
Last edited by Vespasian92 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (4-5)

Postby Vespasian92 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Kings frontcourt carries to first road win
Heading to Portland to begin a home-and-home with the Blazers, the Kings hoped that struggling scorers Patrick Patterson and Marcus Thornton could regain some confidence. Both shooting below 40% in the early going, the Kings duo have been looked towards to provide secondary scoring after Demarcus Cousins for the starters. The Kings started hot offensively tonight, and this time Patterson and Thornton were no exceptions. They combined for 16 first quarter points as Sacramento took the lead and didn't look back. Patterson finished with 17 points and 9 rebounds, and, along with Demarcus Cousins, led the Kings to a relatively easy 14-point road win.

The Blazers received little production aside from Aldridge and Batum, as their other 3 starters shot a combined 9/28 for the contest.
Kings: 100
Blazers: 86

Kings G Ben McLemore displays his athleticism on the break

Demarcus Cousins: 20 PTS - 11 REB - 4 AST - 3 STL - 2 BLK - 8/11 FG
Patrick Patterson: 17 PTS - 9 REB - 6/10 FG - 2/4 3PT FG
Marcus Thornton: 17 PTS - 7/15 FG
Greivis Vasquez: 10 PTS - 7 REB - 9 AST - 4/13 FG

Portland Trailblazers Top Performers
Lamarcus Aldridge: 23 PTS - 8 REB - 9/20 FG
Nicolas Batum: 16 PTS - 6 REB - 8/11 FG
Damien Lillard: 11 PTS - 7 AST - 5/15 FG - 4 TO
Wesley Matthews: 7 PTS - 4 REB - 4 AST - 3/8 FG

Blazers get revenge in Sacramento
After a somewhat embarrassing loss in Portland, the Blazers looked for redemption in the second half of a home-and-home with the Kings. Portland starters Wesley Matthews and Robin Lopez struggled last night in Portland, but seemed unwilling to disappoint again. Lopez responded with a 15-rebound double-double, while Matthews posted a career-best 10 rebounds in a double-double of his own. Portland seemed energized from the opening tip, seizing control of the game early on. At one point in the second quarter the Blazers had a 27-3 run, a quarter which they won by 18. The Kings' offense struggled to produce for most of the game as they fell quietly at home by 23.

The Blazers and Kings split their home-and-home series, ironically losing their home games. On a side note, Kings F Luc Mbah a Moute suffered an apparent ankle injury in the second quarter of the loss. While he did not return, it is not expected to be severe enough to force him to miss time.
Blazers: 113
Kings: 90

An unwelcome sight for the Kings, injury-prone Luc Mbah a Moute cringes in pain on the baseline

Portland Trailblazers Top Performers
Wesley Matthews: 20 PTS - 10 REB (Career-High) - 8/14 FG
Lamarcus Aldridge: 18 PTS - 13 REB - 7/14 FG
Nicolas Batum: 16 PTS - 3 REB - 3 AST - 6/8 FG
Robin Lopez: 10 PTS - 15 REB - 4/11 FG

Isaiah Thomas: 14 PTS - 3 AST - 4 STL - 5/17 FG
Demarcus Cousins: 19 PTS - 7 REB - 9/12 FG
Marcus Thornton: 21 PTS - 7/14 FG
Patrick Patterson: 8 PTS - 3 REB - 3 AST - 3 BLK - 3/11 FG

Talent disparity telling in Sacramento
The free-spending Brooklyn Nets brought their $100M payroll to face the Kings as part of their west coast roadtrip. After adding Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to their already loaded roster that included Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, and Joe Johnson, the Nets are in a title-or-bust mindset. Their expectations obviously include wiping the floor with lottery teams like Sacramento, and they did not disappoint. Aside from garbage-time fouls that gave the Kings a large number of free throws, an otherwise flawless Brooklyn performance resulted in a blowout road victory. Joe Johnson's 25 points and double-doubles from Lopez and Garnett were the notable Brooklyn performances.

Conversely, the Kings collect their second consecutive home loss, losing both by a combined 46 points. Luc Mbah a Moute only played 15 minutes tonight with a sore left ankle, as John Salmons received his first start of the season. Isaiah Thomas was a bright spot for the Kings, who scored 26 points off the Sacramento bench.
Nets: 111
Kings: 88

Brooklyn Nets Top Performers
Joe Johnson: 25 PTS - 4 REB - 7 AST - 11/27 FG
Brook Lopez: 16 PTS - 10 REB - 5/10 FG
Deron Williams: 16 PTS - 6 REB - 3 AST - 7/18 FG
Kevin Garnett: 10 PTS - 15 REB - 5/9 FG

Isaiah Thomas: 26 PTS - 3 AST - 7/18 FG - 8/11 FT
Demarcus Cousins: 13 PTS - 8 REB - 4/7 FG - 5/7 FT
Patrick Patterson: 13 PTS - 7 REB - 6/11 FG
Greivis Vasquez: 5 PTS - 5 REB - 8 AST - 3 STL - 0/6 FG - 5/6 FT

Thomas rallies Kings to needed W
It is gradually becoming more and more obvious that Kings coach Mike Malone has given Isaiah Thomas the green light to lead his bench. With a lack of scoring from other bench players like Johnny Salmons and Jason Thompson (4.2 PPG each), the Kings have turned to Thomas and rookie Ben McLemore to carry the offense for the reserves. And this bench scoring is become more and more necessary as well. The Kings have lost two straight games in embarrassing fashion, and were at risk of dropping their third consecutive in Sacramento.

Tonight against the Pistons, Malone's Kings trailed at home by 11 after three quarters. Seeking the comeback, he turned to his leader off the pine. Behind Thomas, Marcus Thornton, and Demarcus Cousins, the Kings won the 4th quarter by 14 points to secure a much-needed victory. Isaiah Thomas scored 14 of his 30 points in the final period, including clutch free throws to seal the win. After giving up 24 or more in each of the previous three quarters, Sacramento's defense also stepped up, holding Detroit to 20 points in the last period.

Thomas has taken 18.3 FGA per game over the past 3 contests en route to 20 PPG over that span. But his assists are down this season (2.5 APG) without having much scoring prowess with him off the bench.
Kings: 119
Pistons: 116

Isaiah Thomas: 30 PTS (Season-High) - 2 AST - 10/20 FG - 9/9 FT - 23 MIN
Marcus Thornton: 24 PTS - 9/13 FG - 5/5 3PT FG
Demarcus Cousins: 19 PTS - 9 REB - 7/12 FG
Patrick Patterson: 12 PTS - 7 REB - 5/8 FG

Detroit Pistons Top Performers
Josh Smith: 24 PTS - 5 REB - 11/20 FG
Rodney Stuckey: 22 PTS - 8/20 FG - 1/6 3PT FG
Greg Monroe: 18 PTS - 6 REB - 5/10 FG - 8/8 FT
Andre Drummond: 16 PTS - 19 REB - 7/10 FG - 8 OFF REB

Grizzlies D smothers Sacramento
Known for their strong defensive approach, the Grizzlies and their defensive leader Tony Allen were confident as they headed to Sacramento on their roadtrip. In the midst of a home-heavy schedule, the Kings have struggled to gain significant momentum in a season that began with a large amount of optimism. Coming off of a rebound win against Detroit, the Kings struggled to engage their home fans against Memphis. Sacramento only mustered 17 points in the opening quarter as the Grizzlies defense shut them down. The Kings frontcourt was roundly outplayed, as Demarcus Cousins and Patrick Patterson shot an atrocious 4/26 from the field. In addition to leading the Grizzlies defense, Tony Allen added 17 points to his team's efforts as they leave Sacramento with the easy win. The Kings have now lost 3 of their last 4, all at home.

Ray McCallum received his first action in an official NBA contest for the Kings, and mustered a rebound and an assist in 7 minutes. He was activated in place of Jimmer Fredette. The subject of trade rumors early this season, Fredette has received 3 DNP-CDs from Mike Malone. Many suspect that this change in Malone's lineup means a trade is imminent.
Grizzlies: 90
Kings: 74

The Kings are high on 2nd round selection Ray McCallum, but have struggled to find floor time for him

Memphis Grizzlies Top Performers
Tony Allen: 17 PTS - 5 REB - 2 STL - 5/1 FG
Mike Conley: 15 PTS - 2 REB - 3 AST - 3/13 FG - 8/8 FT
Zach Randolph: 12 PTS - 7 REB - 4/11 FG
Tayshaun Prince: 10 PTS - 7 REB - 4/10 FG

Marcus Thornton: 18 PTS - 4 REB - 8/16 FG
Isaiah Thomas: 17 PTS - 3 REB - 3 AST - 6/15 FG
Demarcus Cousins: 11 PTS - 14 REB - 3/16 FG
Patrick Patterson: 6 PTS - 9 REB - 1/10 FG

NBA Notes:
76ers beat Cavaliers 102-97, end losing streak at 7.
Bobcats beat Raptors 85-78, end losing streak at 6.
Heat win 5th straight, now 9-1 overall.
Thunder win 5th straight, now 10-0 overall.

NBA Injury Updates:
Pacers G George Hill out 6-8 weeks with Broken Foot.
Magic G Victor Oladipo out 1-2 weeks with Sprained Wrist.
Suns F Markieff Morris out for Season with Torn MCL.

NBA Transactions:
Suns extend C Emeka Okafor with 4yr/$11.31M deal.
Last edited by Vespasian92 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (4-5)

Postby Its_asdf on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Suns extend C Emeka Okafor with 4yr/$11.31M deal.

You have no idea how infuriating it is to read that.... Seems to happen in every Association no matter what happens lol
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (4-8)

Postby Vespasian92 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:51 am

For the latest Kings
news, blogs, interviews,
and highlights.

Kings trade Fredette to Toronto
With a lack of consistency from their bench, the Kings are looking for answers in the form of two prospects from the Raptors. With Fredette getting little floor time, he was considered expendable by Sacramento and was the main component in the deal.

Sacramento Kings trade: Jimmer Fredette (69), 2015 2nd Round Draft Selection

Toronto Raptors trade: Quincy Acy (66), Austin Daye (66)
ImageImage

Jimmer Fredette's career hasn't lived up to the hype he received coming out of college, and has struggled to find a consistent role with the Kings in any of his 4 seasons. This season might have been the worst yet, stuck being Greivis Vasquez, Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Thornton, and Ben McLemore on the Kings bench. Made worse by rumors of the Kings having no desire to accept his contract option this offseason, and Kings head coach Michael Malone publicly stating that "it's a numbers game" and Jimmer was outside of his rotation, Fredette may get a chance with the Raptors. Toronto may look to him for bench scoring from the backcourt, with D.J. Augustin's mediocre numbers (6.6 PPG, 1.5 APG) and Terrence Ross playing a lot of small forward instead of 2-guard.

Acy and Daye have not appeared for the Raptors in any of their first 9 games this season, and were obviously out of the rotation in Toronto just as Fredette was in Sacramento. The Kings front office were reportedly interested in Quincy Acy's versaitility to play both forward spots, as well as his energy. Austin Daye was touted as an outstanding shooter in a 6'11'' frame, but has struggled to find a position so far in the league. He fell out of Detroit's rotation in 2011-12, and was later send to Memphis next season. This makes the Kings his 4th team, and some wonder if his potential has reached a limit on its shelf life. But the Kings seem desperate for wing shooting off the bench, and Daye may have a chance to regain traction on his career.

Kings give game away in Sacramento
In the wake of recent roster and rotation changes, the Kings settled in to begin a home-and-home series against the beatable Suns. Some of the changes seemed to be working, as the Kings put together a positive first half. Sacramento's reserves played much better tonight with Quincy Acy (4 PTS, 3 REB, 2 AST) and Austin Daye (5 PTS) added to the mix. Isaiah Thomas scored 13 points on a very effective 6 shots, and also had 5 assists. But things fell apart in the third quarter. A prolonged scoring drought resulted in the Kings mustering only 19 points in the period. Their defensive momentum also suffered as they gave up 26 points to Phoenix in the 3rd and 33 points in the 4th. Eric Bledsoe's volume shooting was enough to carry his Suns past the low-scoring Kings in the second half for the 108-97 win.

Chuck Hayes secured his 3000th career rebound tonight in the loss.
Suns: 108
Kings: 97

Kings F Quincy Acy's first basket with Sacramento

Phoenix Suns Top Performers
Eric Bledsoe: 36 PTS - 9 AST - 14/30 FG - 4 TO
P.J. Tucker: 16 PTS - 5 REB - 6/9 FG
Gerald Green: 14 PTS - 6 REB - 6 AST - 4/16 FG
Emeka Okafor: 6 PTS - 17 REB (Season-High) - 3/8 FG

Marcus Thornton: 18 PTS - 9 REB (Season-High) - 7/15 FG
Isaiah Thomas: 13 PTS - 5 AST - 4/6 FG - 3/3 3PT FG
Ben McLemore: 11 PTS - 3/5 FG - 4/4 FT
Demarcus Cousins: 11 PTS - 12 REB - 4 BLK (Season-High) - 4/11 FG

Phoenix sweeps series with Sacramento
Suns: 103
Kings: 99

Cousins' efforts not enough to avoid 4th straight loss
Struggling to find some traction in the early going of the season, the Kings have looked up and down their roster for production. Aside from franchise bigman Demarcus Cousins and a productive Isaiah Thomas thriving in a new bench role, the Kings have been unable to find consistency from any of the other 10 men. The script failed to change tonight in Los Angeles against the Clippers. Cousins posted a nearly flawless performance with dominating numbers, but received little help. Only one King aside from Cousins and Thomas scored in double figures, as the Clippers put on an offensive display in L.A. They put up at least 28 in every quarter en route to an 18-point home win over Sacramento.
Clippers: 120
Kings: 102

Chris Paul: 21 PTS - 13 AST - 8/20 FG
Jared Dudley: 20 PTS - 6 REB - 8/13 FG
Blake Griffin: 16 PTS - 10 REB - 7/11 FG
Deandre Jordan: 16 PTS - 12 REB - 2 BLK

Demarcus Cousins: 32 PTS - 16 REB - 5 STL - 14/20 FG
Isaiah Thomas: 19 PTS - 4 AST - 4 STL - 6/12 FG
Marcus Thornton: 14 PTS - 4/9 FG
Ben McLemore: 9 PTS - 2/6 FG - 20 MIN

NBA Notes:
Celtics lose 5th straight, now 8-7 overall.
Magic lose 5th straight, now 2-10 overall.
Clippers win 7th straight, now 8-7 overall.
Heat win 8th straight, now 12-1 overall.

NBA Injury Updates:
Magic G Aaron Afflalo out 1-2 weeks with Sprained Wrist.
Sixers C Spencer Hawes out 4-6 weeks with Torn Hamstring.

NBA Transactions:
Last edited by Vespasian92 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vespasian92

Postby Martti. on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:35 am

Interesting deal, Fredette really doesn't have a future in Sacramento with Thomas, Vasquez, Thornton and McLemore. Not sure how Daye and Acy will fit though.

I really like McLemore. Played with the Kings and traded Thornton for Granger to open up a spot for him, averaged like 18 points and shot 40% from deep the first month. I hope he can play 25+ minutes a night consistently IRL too.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Its_asdf on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:52 am

I like Acy, he's a pretty solid tough guy to have on your team (and he's hitting threes this year like a beast) but I feel like you already have a lot of power forwards already. Then again, Fredette is pretty much dead weight as well, so I think you may have won out on this trade simply because you got two productive players for one that isn't that great.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Vespasian92 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:44 am

Martti. wrote:Interesting deal, Fredette really doesn't have a future in Sacramento with Thomas, Vasquez, Thornton and McLemore. Not sure how Daye and Acy will fit though.

I really like McLemore. Played with the Kings and traded Thornton for Granger to open up a spot for him, averaged like 18 points and shot 40% from deep the first month. I hope he can play 25+ minutes a night consistently IRL too.

Ben is obviously the future at the 2 here. He's already started over Thornton IRL, and I'll be putting him in sooner rather than later. I still like Thornton, but he's expensive to keep around as a bench player.

Its_asdf wrote:I like Acy, he's a pretty solid tough guy to have on your team (and he's hitting threes this year like a beast) but I feel like you already have a lot of power forwards already. Then again, Fredette is pretty much dead weight as well, so I think you may have won out on this trade simply because you got two productive players for one that isn't that great.

Jimmer's never really had a fair chance TBH, and especially since the debacle of our draft day trade (moving down in the draft, just for the burdensome contract of an aging Johnny Salmons) for him didn't sit well with many. Maybe a change of scenery would help him IRL too.

I'm a big fan of Acy IRL actually. When I was fiddling with some trades and tried this one, I enjoyed using Acy and really want to keep him around. But yes, I'm just looking to see who should stay and who will end up leaving. I'm ashamed to say that maybe everyone not named Demarcus, Ben, Isaiah, or Greivis is open for trading. That said, I might have to make more moves sooner than I wanted to, especially when Landry gets healthy.

Also, Thompson spends most of his time for me at center behind Cousins, with nobody else but Hayes really able to play there after Cousins sits.
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (5-9)

Postby Vespasian92 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:16 am

Vasquez erupts as Kings end skid

Greivis Vasquez posted his best game in a Kings uniform at an opportune time.

When Greivis Vasquez commented that "I just love the fact that it's going to be a new start, new arena soon, I needed that in my life. So I'm excited, I'm happy to be here. I want to be here. I was praying that I wasn't going to get traded anywhere else but here", he probably wasn't referring to multi-game losing streaks. The Kings are a young team likely looking to a more experienced player like Vasquez for guidance as they build something new in Sacramento. Coming off of lengthy rehab from ankle surgery in the offseason, it has taken the Venezuelan Sensation time to work his way back towards the impressive numbers he posted last season. But the Kings have struggled in the early going, losers of 4 in a row and 6 of their last 7. They need somebody to step up and help Demarcus Cousins lead the squad, and Vasquez finally seems ready.

General Greivis had entered the Kings' road contest against the Lakers averaging barely above 9 PPG and 6 APG, while shooting below 40%. The home fans at Staples were not expecting to see anything like what they saw tonight. Vasquez made his presence felt all over the court, stuffing the stat sheet with a lot of everything. His energy was infectious as the Kings fought hard, keeping the game close for the full 48 minutes. Thanks to 12 blocks, Sacramento held the Lakers to below 40% from the field. A drop-off pass from Vasquez to Cousins in the final minute of regulation tied the score at 103 with less than 10 seconds left. Unsurprisingly, Kobe had the ball for the last shot, and a strong closeout from Mbah a Moute forced the miss and the extra period.

For a struggling team, closing a game out in overtime on the road would likely be a challenge. But the overtime period was no contest tonight in L.A. The Kings looked energized and engaged, feeding off the passion of their floor general. In the extra 5, Vasquez added three more assists and multiple sets of free throws to secure the overtime win on the road. The Venezuelan native finished the night with season-best totals of 29 points, 14 assists, and 5 steals. 5 rebounds and 2 blocks rounded out his statline, which he reached in a mere 30 minutes. The Kings' win was achieved despite relative struggles from Cousins and Thomas. They will look to build off Vasquez's leadership and their strong team play 5 days from now, when they host the Clippers back home in Sacramento.

"A leader is a guy who does the right things when no one is watching. Now, I'm on a team (on which) they want me to be a leader, and that's who I am, I'm a natural leader. I can lead by example, by talking to somebody (and) by making everybody else around me better." - Kings G Greivis Vasquez

Turnovers dooms Kings at home
After a much-needed win on the road against the Lakers, the Kings returned to Sacramento to face the other L.A. team who brought their 7-game winning streak into the contest. Greivis Vasquez seemed poised to duplicate his outstanding performance from last game, as he scored 11 in the first quarter. But the Kings' offense looked disorganized after the first quarter. Sacramento only mustered a combined 38 points in the middle quarters which saw the Clippers take the lead for good. Sacramento had many guilty parties to blame for their 15-17 assist/TO ratio, including 6 turnovers from Marcus Thornton and only one assist from Vasquez.
Clippers: 101
Kings: 89

Blake Griffin: 20 PTS - 12 AST - 7/13 FG
Chris Paul: 18 PTS - 4 REB - 6 AST - 3 STL - 7/16 FG
Deandre Jordan: 17 PTS - 13 REB - 8/11 FG
Jamal Crawford: 16 PTS - 3 AST - 7/13

Demarcus Cousins: 18 PTS - 14 REB - 2 STL - 2 BLK - 7/16 FG
Greivis Vasquez: 17 PTS - 4 REB - 1 AST - 5/8 FG - 5/6 FT
Marcus Thornton: 13 PTS - 5/11 FG - 6 TO
Patrick Patterson: 10 PTS - 7 REB - 4/7 FG

NBA Notes:
Clippers win 8th straight, now 10-7 overall.
Bucks lose 5th straight, now 4-12 overall.

NBA Injury Updates:
Blazers G Damian Lillard out 2-4 weeks with Broken Finger.
Celtics F Brandon Bass out 4-6 weeks with Torn Hamstring.

NBA Transactions:
Last edited by Vespasian92 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association: Nov. Sum

Postby Vespasian92 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:17 am

November Summary

Flawless Thunder mark opening month

No one doubted that the Thunder would be a favorite in the competitive Western Conference, but posting a perfect record through November has caught many off guard. Oklahoma City lost Kevin Martin in free agency this offseason, leaving the Thunder without a clear 3rd option offensively. But OKC has managed thanks to their superstars. Durant and Westbrook have predictably put up points in bunches, combining for 55 PPG. Serge Ibaka has done his part for the team by adding 14.7 points and 9.2 rebounds per game. Jeremy Lamb was put in a difficult position for the Thunder, seeming to be the heir apparent 6th man after the departures of James Harden and Kevin Martin. He has responded relatively well with 9 PPG, but has only shot 35% from the field. All things considered, it is surprising that OKC is still undefeated. With 5 of their next 6 games on the road, time will tell how far Durant and Westbrook can keep the Thunder's streak going.

For the latest Kings
news, blogs, interviews,
and highlights.
Kings Month in Review

Calling for backup

The rebirth of the Kings centered around a $44M commitment to Demarcus Cousins, and the bigman from Kentucky has not disappointed. The Kings probably couldn't ask much more from Cousins' 19.5 and 12 averages so far this season. But the same story cannot be said for the rest of the Kings' roster. Offseason acquisition Greivis Vasquez has taken his time to come back from ankle surgery. He posted two strong games against the Lakers and Clippers to close out November however, and may be getting healthy enough to replicate his impressive numbers from last season. Isaiah Thomas has probably been the only other Kings aside from Cousins who could be considered consistently productive, as he has thrived in his new 6th man role this season. His 11 points and 3.5 assists are actually lower than he was posting during the first week or two, as he has focused on efficiency instead of pressing as frequently. At first glance fans may be pleased with Thornton's 17 points per game, but his percentages are very poor. His 'chucker' and 'volume scorer' labels have been thrown around frequently early in the season in a negative way, and added fuel to the 'Start McLemore' fire raging in internet blogs and Sacramento Kings' fandom. McLemore has had his share of rookie struggles, but has played very well recently. If his efficiency continues to climb while Thornton's drops, we may see the rookie get his first start sooner rather than later.

Vespasian92

Postby Martti. on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 am

Vasquez really tore it up against the Lakers, though I really didn't get, why the Kings got him, Isaiah has been a very good starter. He has been great as a scorer off the bench though this year, so I guess it was worth it.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Its_asdf on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:45 pm

I like the monthly review write-up. Not too lengthy but enough to give you a good heads up on what's going on.

Also Vasquez was a good addition simply because Thomas isn't a player that you can really plug into the point guard position for long stretches of the game a la Nate Robinson. I'm no too big of a Kings expert, but from what I can tell, they're not a fan of his inability to defend and I don't think he's really a "true" point guard in a sense that he can get Boogie (who's the breadwinner of the team) the touches he needs to thrive on offense. Vasquez is more of a guy who can get people going offensively and run standard plays for the Kings since their offensive cohesion last season was crap.

As a Raptors fan the Vasquez/Thomas scenario is eerily reminiscent of what the Raptors had with Calderon/Ford a few seasons ago.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Vespasian92 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:17 am

Martti. wrote:Vasquez really tore it up against the Lakers, though I really didn't get, why the Kings got him, Isaiah has been a very good starter. He has been great as a scorer off the bench though this year, so I guess it was worth it.
Its_asdf wrote:I like the monthly review write-up. Not too lengthy but enough to give you a good heads up on what's going on.

Also Vasquez was a good addition simply because Thomas isn't a player that you can really plug into the point guard position for long stretches of the game a la Nate Robinson. I'm no too big of a Kings expert, but from what I can tell, they're not a fan of his inability to defend and I don't think he's really a "true" point guard in a sense that he can get Boogie (who's the breadwinner of the team) the touches he needs to thrive on offense. Vasquez is more of a guy who can get people going offensively and run standard plays for the Kings since their offensive cohesion last season was crap.

As a Raptors fan the Vasquez/Thomas scenario is eerily reminiscent of what the Raptors had with Calderon/Ford a few seasons ago.

It's actually really interesting what's going on in Kingsland, and nobody really knows that Pete's plan is.

Some think getting Vasquez is just a byproduct of 'just get something' in exchange for Tyreke in the sign-and-trade. The new management had to decide between Cousins and Evans, and obviously chose Demarcus. NO offered Tyreke the money, and so getting Greivis is just a freebie. I actually really like Greivis though, with his passion, leadership, and high character.

It's also interesting how some people believe that anybody who isn't one of 'their' guys is available for trading. They already committed to Demarcus, and 'their' additions are McLemore, Landry, Vasquez, and MaM. They may be starting over, with Cousins being the only holdover from the old regime. Most of the old regime's guys (Isaiah, Jimmer, Thornton, Salmons, Outlaw, Patterson, Hayes) have contracts that expire within the next 2 years, with Thompson being the only one signed for longer than that. There's rumors that Petey D called about Shumpert as well as Derrick Williams, and just about everybody's name of those 7 have been mentioned as trade pieces. This is the feeling that we get over here, which is why I feel less guilty about scrapping my roster sooner rather than later. I don't like shredding rosters right away in associations, but that may be what's going in IRL anyway.

Isaiah deserves much more credit for his defense than he gets actually. He can really use his quickness to get into ball handlers. Some argue that his assist numbers would be better with better talent around him (last season Salmons shot very poorly, and Tyreke is obviously a 1-on-1 player and not a shooter), but there's no way around the fact that scoring is what he does (Leading the NBA in PPG from reserves actually). Needless to say Isaiah is my favorite guy, and I hope they keep him around along with 'their' guys. He, Greivis, and Patterson are all free agents this offseason, so it's interesting to see if they keep one or both of the guards (and Patterson too since they added Landry).

Its_asdf wrote:...since their offensive cohesion last season was crap...

Technically, Keith Smart had no offensive gameplan for stretches. It was just about run all the time, every time. Another reason why Isaiah has mediocre assist numbers.

Anyway, I had to restart and simulate through the first month again in order to correct my draft class, but I should have a new update in the next couple of days.
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (6-11)

Postby Vespasian92 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Cousins' performance gives Kings home win
With the first month of the NBA season in the books, the Kings saw the elevated expectations after an exciting offseason die down. Losing 7 of their last 9 games, the more reasonable expectations of a 'transition' year seem likely to be fulfilled. But part of that transition is seeing Demarcus Cousins take another step forward this season, and it seems he is likely to do so. Cousins has put up impressive numbers so far this season and tonight was no exception. DMC went up against the formidable frontline of Lee and Bogut for the Warriors and came away with 26 points and 16 rebounds. Shooting guard combo Marcus Thornton and Ben McLemore also combined for 31 points as the Kings took the home win.

David Lee had an 18-rebound double-double for Golden State, but Curry, Barnes, and Igoudala's shooting troubles (combined 16/49) hurt their chances.
Kings: 110
Warriors: 91

Demarcus Cousins: 26 PTS - 16 REB - 12/18 FG - 6 OFF REB
Marcus Thornton: 16 PTS - 7/12 FG
Ben McLemore: 15 PTS - 5/12 FG - 4/4 FT
Greivis Vasquez: 13 PTS - 8 REB - 11 AST - 4/10 FG

Golden State Warriors Top Performers
Stephen Curry: 20 PTS - 3 REB - 3 AST - 9/28 FG
David Lee: 13 PTS - 18 REB - 6/11 FG - 7 OFF REB
Andre Igoudala: 9 PTS - 6 REB - 6 AST - 4/13 FG
Harrison Barnes: 9 PTS - 8 REB - 6 AST - 3/18 FG

Thunder extend streak to 16 on the road
Bringing their undefeated 15-0 record on the road out West, Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook have carried the load for their Thunder team. With the contrasting fates between the Thunder and Kings, Scott Brooks had to be concerned that games like this may turn into trap games for his confident squad. But any such concerns were groundless tonight. The Thunder went into Sacramento and put together a 48-minute win. OKC won every quarter, and coasted to a 15-point win behind the efforts of Durant and Westbrook.

More concerning for the Kings than losing the game was losing starting forward Luc Mbah a Moute to injury. Mbah a Moute played the first 9 minutes of the contest before landing awkwardly after securing a rebound. His left ankle appeared to roll underneath him as the Cameroon Prince went to the floor and remained there for an extended period of time. He required assistance leaving the floor and did not return to the contest. Mbah a Moute will be evaluated on Wednesday to determine the extent of the apparent ankle injury.

Kings F Luc Mbah a Moute quickly grasps his ankle in pain
Thunder: 96
Kings: 81

Oklahoma City Thunder Top Performers
Kevin Durant: 29 PTS - 9 REB - 5 AST - 12/25 FG
Russell Westbrook: 24 PTS - 7 REB - 8 AST - 8/15 FG
Serge Ibaka: 12 PTS - 7 REB - 1 BLK - 5/11 FG
Jeremy Lamb: 11 PTS - 6 REB - 4 AST - 4/9 FG

Marcus Thornton: 16 PTS - 3/7 FG - 8/9 FT
Demarcus Cousins: 14 PTS - 8 REB - 6/16 FG
Patrick Patterson: 14 PTS - 6 REB - 3 STL - 6/12 FG
Jason Thompson: 10 PTS - 3 REB - 3/6 FG - 4/5 FT - 19 MIN

Lakers take revenge, rout Kings in Sacramento
After a difficult offseason that saw D12 flee L.A. and Kobe begin rehab on a Torn Achilles, the Lakers' record this season has been a poor representation of the winning pedigree of the purple and gold. Turning to young players like Wesley Johnson, Xavier Henry, and Nick Young has failed to work out for the Lakers as well as they had hoped. That being said, they had to be pleased to see Kobe return to action on Sunday against the Trailblazers.

With 4 days of rest between the Portland contest and the Lakers' trip to Sacramento, Kobe looked fresh and determined to right the ship for his team. He wasted no time in dropping buckets, scoring 14 of the Lakers' 30 first quarter points. Falling behind by 7 after the first, the Kings struggled to rally against their So-Cal rivals. Mike Malone's defensive improvements failed to have an effect on the Lakers who put up 113 points in the game. Kobe's 29 points and Gasol's 17 rebound double-double gave the Lakers the easy road win.

The Kings did have a few bright spots in the contest, most notably Travis Outlaw and Ben McLemore. Without Mbah a Moute, Travis Outlaw got the start for the Kings and responded with an incredibly effective 17 points on only 6 shots. Encouraged to be more aggressive looking for his offense, McLemore scored a career-best 22 points, including 6 makes from downtown.
Lakers: 113
Kings: 102

Los Angeles Lakers Top Performers
Kobe Bryant: 29 PTS - 8 AST - 11/23 FG
Pau Gasol: 16 PTS - 17 REB - 8/11 FG
Nick Young: 15 PTS - 8 REB - 6/22 FG
Chris Kaman: 13 PTS - 5 REB - 5/11 FG

Ben McLemore: 22 PTS - 3 AST - 2 STL - 6/11 3PT FG - 26 MIN
Travis Outlaw: 17 PTS - 5/6 FG - 6/7 FT - 29 MIN
Demarcus Cousins: 13 PTS - 12 REB - 6/9 FG
Greivis Vasquez: 10 PTS - 9 AST - 3 STL - 3/8 FG

For the latest Kings
news, blogs, interviews,
and highlights.

Mbah a Moute out 6-8 weeks

The Kings have announced that F Luc Mbah a Moute will miss close to two months of game action. Following an evaluation
of his apparent ankle injury suffered Tuesday against the Thunder, the Cameroon native was diagnosed with a fracture in
the lower left fibula. He is not expected to require surgery, but the official timetable for his return is at least 6 weeks, at
which time he will be re-evaluated.

He was acquired by Sacramento in the offseason from Milwaukee in exchange for a pair of 2nd round draft picks (via POR,
Tyreke Evans trade). Mbah a Moute came to Sacramento with some injury concerns after undergoing knee surgery in May
of last year. He suffered a minor knee sprain earlier this season, but had managed to play 28.4 MPG in all 16 of
Sacramento's games before Tuesday's injury.

The Kings have activated Austin Daye in Mbah a Moute's place on their 12-man roster. Daye is expected to help fill his
absence, along with Travis Outlaw and John Salmons.

NBA Notes:
Thunder G Derek Fisher announces he will retire after this season.
Trailblazers defeat Thunder 93-92, end win streak at 16.

NBA Injury Updates:
Bobcats C Al Jefferson out 2-4 weeks with Broken Arm.
Kings F Luc Mbah a Moute out 6-8 weeks with Broken Ankle.

NBA Transactions:
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (8-13)

Postby Vespasian92 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:28 am

Kings bench, defense put on a highlight-filled rout

An unlikely duo has stepped up for the Kings in Mbah a Moute's absence.

On Saturday, the Kings and Jazz engaged in a contest that was likely circled on the calendar for both teams. Both sitting in the bottom 5 in the Western Conference, two likely lottery teams aren't likely to attract a large audience. But anybody who did attend the game got their money's worth, even if the show wasn't from the home team. The Kings went into Utah and had a dominant 48-minute performance.

Sacramento's defense held the Jazz to only 36% from the field for the game and never gave up more than 24 in a quarter. Everybody who played contributed as 9 Kings played at least 15 minutes. The fourth quarter was essentially garbage time after the Kings claimed a 27-point lead after three quarters. As a result the Kings' reserves scored 51 of the team's 102 points. Ben McLemore was once again aggressive, and came away with 15 points to go with 6 rebounds and assists. Even though he didn't score much, Quincy Acy also produced for Sacramento with an all-around statline that included an emphatic block of Jamaal Tinsley.

Sacramento is now 2-2 in December, showing flashes of relative success after a a disappointing November record of 4-9 (if you discount the opening night win against Denver on Oct. 30th). As positive as the Kings must feel, the level of their opponent must be considered. The Jazz are 3-19 so far this season and undeniably looking towards the future. Despite their struggles this season they are in a position to rebuild quickly, featuring a young core including Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Gordan Hayward, and rookie Trey Burke.

phpBB [video]

Backcourt duo leads Mavs at home
Coming off a strong win in Utah, the Kings settled in for two games in Sacramento before beginning a road-heavy part of their schedule. The Mavericks came to the California capital without Jose Calderon who was resting a Bruised Sternum. But the visitors didn't seem to miss the Spanish floor general much. Devin Harris started in the Dallas backcourt with offseason signee Monta Ellis and did not disappoint. Harris scored 24 points on only 9 shots, posting an extreme example of scoring efficiency. He, along with Ellis' 22, led the Mavs to the road win.

Travis Outlaw scored his 5000th career point in this contest.
Mavericks: 96
Kings: 81

Dallas Mavericks Top Performers
Devin Harris: 24 PTS - 4 REB - 5 AST - 6/9 FG - 4/4 3PT FG - 8/8 FT - 7 TO
Monta Ellis: 22 PTS - 4 REB - 3 AST - 8/20 FG
Dejuan Blair: 11 PTS - 2 REB - 4/8 FG - 3/8 FT
Dirk Nowitzki: 10 PTS - 10 REB - 4 BLK - 2/8 FG

Patrick Patterson: 15 PTS - 6 REB - 6/14 FG
Demarcus Cousins: 14 PTS - 9 REB - 5/12 FG
Jason Thompson: 13 PTS - 4 REB - 5/9 FG
Isaiah Thomas: 12 PTS - 5 REB - 4 AST - 4/6 FG - 2/3 3PT FG

Cousins, McLemore shine at home
With their home blowout loss still fresh in their minds, the Jazz headed to Sacramento to seek revenge. 5 days had passed since their meeting in Utah, with both teams coming off losses on Monday. The Jazz's hopes depended on Favors and Burke shooting better than the 8/24 they combined for in Utah.

But the Kings announced a surprising change in their rotation for tonight's game: rookie Ben McLemore is getting his first career start for Sacramento. This move came in the wake of seeing the former Kansas Jayhawk stringing together some productive games. Conversely, Marcus Thornton has struggled to raise his already mediocre shooting percentages, including posting a 2-9 performance Monday vs. Dallas. McLemore joined Travis Outlaw as another relatively new starter for the Kings since Mbah a Moute's injury.

The bright lights before the home crowd didn't seem to faze the rookie, as he made 6 of his first 7 shots in the first half. The Kings only led by two at halftime however, and the game remained close for most of the game. Utah began making a run in the third quarter and took a 7-point lead at one point. But then Demarcus Cousins picked up the slack for his Kings, and the game was all over. Cousins was 8/8 from the field after the break, and finished with 26 points. Holding on in the end, Sacramento fans left happy with the win and with a productive performance from McLemore.

Kings F Travis Outlaw and C Demarcus Cousins celebrate after a tough finish

Kings: 114
Jazz: 110

Demarcus Cousins: 26 PTS - 8 REB - 11/11 FG - 4/6 FT
Ben McLemore: 23 PTS - 4 REB - 3 AST - 8/19 FG - 3/8 3PT FG (First Career Start)
Greivis Vasquez: 13 PTS - 11 AST - 3/13 FG - 5/5 FT
Isaiah Thomas: 11 PTS - 9 AST - 3/6 FG - 2/3 3PT FG - 3/4 FT

Utah Jazz Top Performers
Gordan Hayward: 30 PTS - 13 REB (Career-High) - 12/23 FG
Trey Burke: 23 PTS - 2 AST - 10/18 FG
Derrick Favors: 14 PTS - 5 REB - 3 BLK - 6/12 FG
Brandon Rush: 9 PTS - 3 REB - 3 AST - 3/13 FG

Suns hold on in OT
In the third meeting between the Suns and Kings, Phoenix settled in at home to try to take a 3-0 lead in the season series. Winning both parts of a home-and-home earlier in the season, a supposedly inferior Suns team has looked confident against Sacramento, and tonight was no different. They had a 5-point lead after three quarters, and only a difficult drive by Isaiah Thomas in the final minute let the Kings force overtime. But Gerald Green continued a dominant offensive performance in the extra period, making all three of his attempts to help Phoenix cruise in overtime. A 21-10 double-double from Eric Bledsoe also led the Suns to the home win.
Suns: 130
Kings: 122

Phoenix Suns Top Performers
Gerald Green: 27 PTS - 3 REB - 4 AST - 8/10 FG - 4/4 3PT FG - 7/7 FT
Mark. Morris: 23 PTS - 9 REB - 9/12 FG
Eric Bledsoe: 21 PTS - 10 AST - 7/19 FG
Emeka Okafor: 11 PTS - 10 REB - 5/11 FG

Demarcus Cousins: 28 PTS - 14 REB - 11/21 FG
Patrick Patterson: 21 PTS - 9 REB - 7/19 FG
Ben McLemore: 17 PTS - 6 REB - 5/13 FG
Greivis Vasquez: 12 PTS - 10 AST - 5/11 FG

NBA Notes:
Knicks win 5th straight, now 12-10 overall.
Nets win 5th straight, now 15-8 overall.

NBA Injury Updates:
Lakers G Kobe Bryant out 4-6 weeks with Broken Finger.
Pelicans G Tyreke Evans out 4-6 weeks with Broken Hand.

NBA Transactions:
Bobcats extend G Ben Gordon with 5yr/$16.76M deal.
Mavericks extend F Dirk Nowitzki with 1yr/$7.59M deal.

Nuggets, Blazers swap backups
With a pair of disgruntled backup point guards out west, their teams agree to a swap and hope a change of scenery works out for both.

Denver Nuggets trade: Nate Robinson
Portland Trailblazers trade: Mo Williams

It is difficult to determine how this move will work out for the respective franchises, as these players will likely fill similar roles with their new
teams. Only time will tell if Robinson's scoring prowess helps the surprisingly strong Blazers more than Williams' veteran bench leadership did.
Vespasian92

Re: - Here We Build - Sacramento Kings Association (8-13)

Postby Martti. on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 am

Just watched the Clippers-Kings game and I remembered, just how damn good Mbah a Moute is. It's a travesty, he hasn't made an All-Defensive team yet. 6-8 weeks without will be very tough.

Glad to see McLemore starting, playing better here then IRL. :P
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Next

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood