Lamrock's Blazers - Retired

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Lamrock's Blazers - FREE AGENCY 2014

Postby Lamrock on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:36 am

NBA Pre-Season Hoops 2014

The Blazers posted a 2-4 record in pre-season, as coach Terry Stotts tried several new lineups and got acclimated to the seven new players on the team. Damian Lillard sizzled, while Jabari Parker looked like a future all-star, but Greg Monroe's struggles are concerning. The big man scored just 10.5 points per game as he didn't get a lot of touches. Portland opens the season at home on November 1 against the Nuggets.

Pre-Season Power Rankings

-----Contenders-----

1. Oklahoma City (last season: 53-29, NBA Champions) - The defending champs reload with a 24 year old starting center gift-wrapped in a draft day trade, and enter the season as undisputed favorites. Superstars Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook join Ibaka, Oladipo and Vucevic in a stacked starting 5.
2. New Orleans (last season: 49-33, lost in conference semis) - Behind Anthony Davis and all-star caliber teammates Nicolas Batum, Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson, the Hornets are perceived to be OKC's biggest threat. Internal development gives them the edge over a revamped, but not necessarily improved Portland squad. Look for Monty Williams to be in coach of the year talks.
3. Portland (last season: 50-32, lost in conference finals) - After a 50 win season and trip to the conference finals that came out of nowhere, Lillard established himself as a star and the Blazers emerged as contenders. They overhauled their team in the off-season (helping the division rival Thunder in the process) but the acquisitions of Greg Monroe and Jabari Parker could make them scary good.
4. Miami (last season: 51-31, lost in NBA Finals) - Demoralizing Finals sweep aside, this is still the Heat, and with the big three all in a contract year, they are still the best team in the East. The bench does leave something to be desired are they are starting Trevor Mbakwe though...

----Playoff Teams----

5. San Antonio (last season: 46-36, lost in first round) - Last season saw the end to the Spurs' 50 game win streak and a loss in the first round. The Spurs didn't react though, keeping their consistently successful group intact while adding Bismack Biyombo and Rodney Williams.
6. Chicago (last season: 44-38, lost in East semis) - Chicago came a game away from the NBA Finals, but their offense remains a problem left unresolved in the off-season. This season rests largely on the improvement and health of Derrick Rose.
7. Indiana (last season: 47-35, lost in west semis) - The Pacers, led by Roy Hibbert, Paul George and Danny Granger are elite defensively and always a threat in the playoffs. If Paul George makes another step towards superstardom, they'll be set.
8. Golden State (last season: 44-38, lost in west semis) - Curry played all 82 games last season, made his first all-star team and his team gave the eventual champion Thunder a real scare. They hope to build on that success this season.
9. Washington (last season: 42-40, lost in first round) - With all-star John Wall, and a talented young supporting cast, the Wizards hope to win a playoff series this season.
10. Denver (last season: 47-35, lost in first round) - Denver was once again defeated in the first round last season, but remains deep and talented enough to hang with anybody.
11. New York (last season: 37-45, missed playoffs) - After a very disappointing year in which they missed the playoffs, the Knicks are faced with the tough task of keeping Melo in a lockout year. Are Shawn Marion, Aaron Gordon and Gary Harris the answer?
12. Philadelphia (last season: 44-38, lost in first round) - The Sixers may have lost in the first round, but with Bynum healthy and Jrue Holiday making the all-star team, things are looking up for the young Sixers.
13. LA Clippers (last season: 42-40, missed playoffs) - After failing to get their stride all season, big years from Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe were wasted. However, this team is too good to give up on, as evidenced by management keeping them together.
14. Houston (last season: 44-38, lost in first round) - Jeremy Lin and Paul Millsap had very good seasons last season but other than that, the team's supporting cast underwhelms.
15. Orlando (last season: 38-44, missed playoffs) - With #1 pick Martti Must and the talented Tobias Harris in tow, Orlando had little interest in Jabari Parker when he fell on draft night. Dealing with their situation at the Center position, getting a draft pick and adding J.J. Hickson in the process, the Magic made a big trade to remain relevant in the East.
16. Boston (last season: 44-38, lost in first round) - The Celtics still have Pierce and Garnett, but at this point the team's success rests on the shoulders of Rajon Rondo, and talented youngsters Avery Bradley and Julian Martin.

----The rest----

17. Memphis (last season: 39-43, missed playoffs) - Mike Conley and Marc Gasol are studs and the team is fairly deep. Memphis may not be a contender, but have enough talent to make a run at a low playoff seed.
18. Detroit (last season: 48-34, lost in east semis) - Many questioned the Pistons' decision not to match all-star big man Greg Monroe and rightfully so. While Monroe demanded a max contract, it didn't seem too unreasonable after a big season. Perhaps Andray Blatche is the answer at the 4 for them?
19. Sacramento (last season: 35-47, missed playoffs) - The Kings flamed out down the stretch last year, but DeMarcus Cousins finally became that all-star center they wanted. They add Ramon Sessions and Noah Vonleh to this improving squad.
20. Brooklyn (last season: 40-42, missed playoffs) - The Nets have Deron Williams, Brook Lopez and Joe Johnson. $120 million is committed to those three for the next two years and outside of them, there isn't much talent to write home about.
21. Cleveland (last season: 35-47, missed playoffs) - The Cavs lucked out by drafting Andrew Wiggins, who slipped to 3rd. Other than a hole at the center position (no offense Mo Speights), the Cavs are very talented and could be a sleeper if healthy.
22. Phoenix (last season: 29-53, missed playoffs) - The Suns questionably took Willie Cauley first overall over Andrew Wiggins among others, but plan to start Alex Len. However, Andre Iguodala is a big addition.
23. Toronto (last season: 44-38, lost in second round) - The stars aligned for Toronto to win their first playoff series since 2001. They were promptly swept by Miami though, and boast a fairly low ceiling core.
24. Utah (last season: 43-39, lost in first round) - Utah continues down the path of mediocrity by having four starter quality big men. They have enough talent to be good, but need to consider dealing Al Jefferson and/or Nikola Pekovic.
25. LA Lakers (last season: 38-44, missed playoffs) - Pierre Jackson starts at the point while the Lakers stock up on veterans to build around Kobe and Gasol. Yawn.
26. Charlotte (last season: 31-51, missed playoffs) - Their starting five consists of elite college players with Julius Randle joining the mix. Charlotte has talent, but 13-14 all-star Kemba Walker has yet to lead the team to the playoffs.
27. Atlanta (last season: 36-46, missed playoffs) - Atlanta boasts last year's team plus promising rookie center Joel Embiid. Last year that team missed the playoffs. This team seems to have hit its ceiling, and rebuilding may be the best course of action.
28. Milwaukee (last season: 38-44, missed playoffs) - The Ellis/Jennings backcourt remains a fundamentally poor idea and waste the talents of young players Leo Lai and Dyrone Williams.
29. Minnesota (last season: 25-57, missed playoffs) - Minnesota hasn't made the playoffs since the 2003-04 season, and while they have accumulated a decent amount of talent over the years, health and defense continue to hold this squad back.
30. Dallas (last season: 27-55, missed playoffs) - With Dirk aging rapidly and instead of Andrew Wiggins, a backup PG in Dante Exum, it could be a very long year in Dallas.
Lamrock

Re: Lamrock's Blazers - FREE AGENCY 2014

Postby Valor on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Good write up, I still don't think your roster is in the top 4 though, as I said Monroe isn't worth that much and I don't see him as an All-Star (as evident in his preseason struggles). OKC looks absolutely stacked, and you sure gave New Orleans a damn good roster with Batum :|

Hopefully the Bulls will stay healthy here and make a deep run this upcoming season :)

Lamrock wrote:28. Milwaukee (last season: 38-44, missed playoffs) - The Ellis/Jennings backcourt remains a fundamentally poor idea and waste the talents of young players Leo Lai and Dyrone Williams.

:facepalm2: I want out :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: Lamrock's Blazers - 2014 Pre-Season Power Rankings

Postby Lamrock on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:40 am

November In Review
Record: 10-7 | 3rd in Division, 6th in Conference, 12th in Power Rankings

Portland opened the season with a resounding victory over the struggling Dallas Mavericks, but proceeded to be inconsistent as they adjust to the new roster additions. The low-point of the month was a blow-out home loss to the Lakers (who usually never win in Portland), but with a 10-7 record, there's still no reason to panic. The Blazers currently sit in the 6 seed, boasting an 8-3 home record.

Greg Monroe has impressed, averaging a double-double, and arguably out-playing LaMarcus Aldridge. Damian Lillard leads the team in scoring, but it's his career high in assists (8.5) that's turning heads. Alex Poythress holds down the starting 3 position as Jabari Parker struggles with his shot. That didn't stop Parker from taking home West Rookie of the Month honors.

Division Leaders:
Philadelphia 12-3, Cleveland 9-7, Washington 8-7
Houston 12-4, Utah 12-5, Phoenix 9-6

Players of the Month:
Kevin Durant (OKC) | LeBron James (MIA)

Rookies of the Month:
Jabari Parker (POR) | Andrew Wiggins (CLE)

Transactions:

Celtics sign Rondo to 5 year, $91M extension
Hornets sign Robin Lopez to 4 year, $40M extension
Knicks trade Tyson Chandler to Cavs for Speights, CJ Fair
Jazz send Pekovic to Nuggets for Koufos, Bass
Spurs send Danny Green to Jazz for Ekpe Udoh
Bobcats trade Henderson to Sixers for Darrell Arthur
Blazers waive Gustavo Avon

December In Review
Record: 17-13 [7-6] - 3rd in Division, 4th in Conference, 9th in Power Rankings

December was a trying month for the Blazers. In the span of two games, both Damian Lillard and Alex Poythress went down with serious injuries that will keep them out until at least the all-star break. While the team was already perceived to be underachieving, the starting five of Udrih, Matthews, Parker, Aldridge and Monroe suffered a 34 point home loss at the hands of the Warriors to end the month.

Fortunately, the Blazers remain in the playoff picture, but for how long is the question. Don't be surprised to see a move on the horizon to bring in a quick fix at the point guard spot. Adding to the bad news was Greg Monroe's December slump, which saw his scoring and shooting numbers fall. Blazers fans can take solace in Parker's repeat rookie of the month awards, which should continue now that he'll be starting indefinitely.

[+] Lillard Breaks Back, To Miss 6-8 Weeks; Udrih to Start
Poythress Breaks Wrist, Out 4-6 Weeks; Parker to Start

Division Leaders:
Denver 22-9, Houston 21-12, Sacramento 19-14
Philadelphia 21-11, Cleveland 20-13, Miami 16-14

Players of the Month:
James Harden (HOU) | John Wall (WAS)

Rookies of the Month:

Transactions:

Heat trade Chalmers, 2nd rounder to Cavs for James McAdoo
Clippers sign DeAndre Jordan to 5 year, $55M extension
Grizzlies sign Marc Gasol to 5 year, $47M extension
Mavs fire Rick Carlisle, hire Kurt Bryan
Lakers trade Jordan Hill to Cavs for CJ Miles
Hawks trade Nate Robinson to Spurs for Tiago Splitter
Raptors sign Rudy Gay to 4 year, $41M extension
Cavs sign Tyson Chandler to 4 year, $22M extension
Lamrock

Re: [17-13] Lamrock's Blazers - November/December 2014

Postby Martti. on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Wow, I would have assumed you'd have a better record after two months, at least 20-10 or so. Nice work with Parker getting both ROTM awards, though if he's coming off the bench, then I guess he doesn't have much competition in the West.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 am

After overachieving last season, the injury bug hit me in the sim. Honestly I'll take any playoff seed if I had a clean bill of health. I started classes today so updates will continue to be sporadic. Next chance I get, I'll sim more games.
Lamrock

Postby Lamrock on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:08 am

January 2015 In Review
Team Record: 22-24 [6-11] - 4th in Division, 9th in Conference, 20th in Power Rankings

Without star player Damian Lillard, the Blazers floundered in January. A five game losing streak in the middle of the month sent Portland off its playoff course, and the early return of Poythress hasn't helped yet. With Jabari Parker still rough around the edges, he returns to a reserve role. Monroe, Aldridge and Matthews continue their steady play (Aldridge a likely all-star), but Lillard can't come back soon enough.

Portland only trails the 8th place Lakers by two games, but the surprising Nuggets, at 30-15, appear to be running away with the division. Parker wins rookie of the month for the third straight month. February will be a pivotal month for the Blazers, as they hope to rebound from what has been a disappointing season to date. The best piece of news was LaMarcus Aldridge agreeing to an extension, which will keep him in Portland through his prime.

Division Leaders:
New Orleans 31-14, Denver 30-15, Sacramento 27-20
Cleveland 32-15, Philadelphia 29-14, Orlando 23-19

Players of the Month:
Anthony Davis (NO) | Kyrie Irving (CLE)
Rookies of the Month:

Transactions:

Bulls trade Luol Deng to Nuggets for Wilson Chandler, 2015 2nd rounder
Wizards trade Beaubois to Pacers for Gerald Green, Chris Crawford
Bobcats send Ben Gordon, Mike Moser to Houston for Shannon Brown
Wolves trade Budinger to Wizards for Ariza
Blazers sign Aldridge to 5 year, $75M extension

----------

All-Star Starters Announced!
West: Chris Paul (NO - 7th) | James Harden (HOU - 2nd) | Kevin Durant (OKC - 6th) | Blake Griffin (LAC - 5th) | DeMarcus Cousins (SAC - 2nd)
East: Derrick Rose (CHI - 6th) | Kyrie Irving (CLE - 2nd) | LeBron James (MIA - 11th) | Paul George (IND - 3rd) | Brook Lopez (BKN - 2nd)

All-Star Reserves Announced!
West: Stephen Curry (GS - 2nd) | Gordon Hayward (UTA - 1st) | Danilo Gallinari (DEN - 1st) | Anthony Davis (NO - 2nd) | Kobe Bryant (LAL - 17th) | Russell Westbrook (OKC - 5th) | Greg Monroe (POR - 2nd)
East: John Wall (WAS - 2nd) | Dwyane Wade (MIA - 10th) | Carmelo Anthony (NY - 8th) | Carlos Boozer (CHI - 3rd) | Raymond Felton (NY - 2nd) | Andre Drummond (DET - 1st) | Brandon Jennings (MIL - 1st)

All-Star Weekend:

NBA Standings

Western Conference

1 Denver 37-16
2 New Orleans 33-18
3 Oklahoma City 29-21
4 LA Lakers 29-23
5 LA Clippers 30-24
6 Sacramento 31-25
7 Golden State 29-24
8 Houston 28-24
Utah 29-25
Portland 26-27
San Antonio 24-31
Phoenix 23-31
Minnesota 20-34
Memphis 17-36
Dallas 14-40

Eastern Conference

1 Cleveland 35-18
2 Philadelphia 33-17
3 Atlanta 29-22
4 Miami 29-22
5 Orlando 26-24
6 Washington 27-25
7 Brooklyn 26-25
8 Toronto 26-26
Indiana 26-28
New York 25-28
Chicago 24-29
Boston 23-30
Detroit 20-31
Charlotte 20-32
Milwaukee 20-32

Marcus Smart Scores 22 To Lead Elites Past Stars; Jabari Parker: 10 pts, 10 rebs

J.R. Young Wins 3pt Shootout!

Anthony Davis wins Slam Dunk Contest!

East Defeats West, Paul George MVP With 28 Points; Greg Monroe: 4 pts, 4 rebs

Headlines

Jeff Green to 76ers for Daye, J-Rich in only deadline move

Damian Lillard returns to Blazers lineup

LeBron guarantees Heat championship

Hans Antonio: I'm better than Deron Williams

Blazers now tied in loss column with Lakers, Clippers with 7-4 February
Lamrock

Re: [29-28] Lamrock's Blazers - January/February 2015

Postby Lamrock on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:35 am

Retired.

This may not come as a huge surprise due to the sporadic nature of the story, but it is time for this one to come to a close. I just don't have the time or motivation to still play 2K13, and so rather than keeping this around as a sub-par sim association, I've decided to end it. As I'm in school right now, it'll probably be quite a while before I make another story thread.

I won't name names as I have so many times in the past, but I have to offer a BIG thank you to everybody who followed this and The New Jailblazers, as well as any of my other stories in the past. Keeping this niche within a niche on the internet alive has been a cool thing to witness over the years. I do have to apologize to those who were invested in their virtual players. Hopefully you all enjoyed reading this almost as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Lamrock

Re: Lamrock's Blazers - Retired

Postby Valor on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 pm

Sad to see you "hang it up" here but totally understandable with the lack of time and motivation to keep playing and updating. Always good to read your stories mate (Y)

P.S. Good luck in the SB, although there's no way in hell I can root for you guys to win with that loudmouth Richard Sherman on the roster :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: Lamrock's Blazers - Retired

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Hope you will still be reading stories L Train whilst you are studying! :)
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Previous

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood