The Journey of a Dreamer | Prologue - Who is the Team?

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

The Journey of a Dreamer | Prologue - Who is the Team?

Postby Pistol on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:54 am

What's going on everyone?

I've been gone for about a year and a half now. Haven't been active on the threads. Around the time I was active I had to have my second knee surgery and then start a vigorous rehab schedule to prepare for deployment. After that I deployed to Afghanistan. Still over here, but it's been about a year. Prepping to go home VERY soon. Within a few weeks. I haven't played 2K13 yet, but I heard it's pretty bad ass. I already have ideas for a story. In fact started writing it already. It won't be like my other two in terms of graphics probably. I just really want to practice writing. This one will def be a story mode one. I will try and make it look pretty too. I was promoted to Sergeant while I was out here in Afghanistan! So that's going to make me a little busy when I get back to the States, hence the less time for graphics. I'm getting out of the military in a year and a half and am going to school for writing, so I just want to get some practice and write on here. I've missed ya guys. I see Sit has gotten going with a new story, as well as Lamrock and Thierry. I'll be more active as the time passes by. I should become very active around the January time frame. I will begin posting the prologue series soon though. Any ideas from the peanut gallery on which teams I should be considering?? Feedback is crucial.

Stay Up

Table of Contents
Prologue
Last edited by Pistol on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pistol
You have to want it as bad as you need to breath.

Prologue

Postby Pistol on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Prologue

I
Robert Foreman lowered his hand and let out a sigh. All the other young men around him were doing the same thing. Everyone was anxious. Nervous. Excited. Robert turned and walked out of the room. It was June 18, 2002 and he had just swore an oath and enlisted in the United States Army.

It seemed like just yesterday that Robert was waking up on September 11, 2001 to see the World Trade Centers get hit with the second plane. The initial feeling when seeing that plane disappear in to the building was shock. Robert didn’t know how to feel about it. When he went to school that day and saw the tears streaming down his fellow students’ faces he became enraged. What type of people would cause so much damage? Why would someone want to kill so many innocent people? Robert didn’t know these answers yet, but he wanted to find out. He would.

Now Robert walked outside of the military building where he just enlisted. He pulled his phone out of his pocket. He called his father. His family was aware of his plans to join the military. His mother was incredibly emotional when Robert told her, but Robert could see the proud look upon his father’s face. When Robert’s father gave that look of approval, Robert knew he made the correct decision. His father answered, “Hello?”

“It’s official,” replied Robert, “I leave in seven days.”

II
A taxicab pulled up the long uphill street. Robert sat in the back of it. All he had was his backpack in the back seat with him. His green duffel bag sat in the trunk of the taxicab. Robert stared out the window. The last four years had been extremely rough on Robert. He had fought terrorists in Iraq for a total of fifteen months. Fired his rifle in the streets of Somalia for six months. Interrogated insurgents in Afghanistan for twelve months. He had been deployed in the Army for a total of thirty-three months out of his forty-eight month enlistment. Now it was July 02, 2006 and he was traveling home.

The taxicab pulled up to a small house. This was the residence where Robert’s parents were living at in a small town called Susanville. Though the town was painfully small and dead, there was a junior college present. Robert stepped out of the taxicab and took a breath of the fresh air. A smile came across Robert’s stern face. He had a scar that was visible on his neck. It fell to his shoulder and back like scattered burn marks. This is where he had been hit with shrapnel in Iraq. He turned to the driver who was pulling out the duffel bag from the trunk. The driver stared at the green army duffel bag for a quick second. A look of sympathy came across his face as he handed it to Robert. He looked up at Robert realizing he was in the military, “Thank you for your service.” Robert nodded and took the bag. As Robert walked up the steps of the house, a feeling swept over him. Relief. The journey was over, he was officially out of the military.

III
It was the State Championship for the Western Coast League. Lassen Community College was playing against Sacramento City College. The date was March 03, 2008. The second were winding down. Lassen trailed Sacramento 77-78. Robert, the star point guard for Lassen, brought the ball up with only seven seconds to play. Sacramento tried to press Lassen, but Robert spun right around his man. A second man squared up in front of him, but Robert only needed a crossover to shake the defender loose. Robert stared at the court in front of him as he passed half court. Only three Sacramento defenders were on this side of the court and Robert had three teammates running with him. An off the ball screen was set and Lassen’s center, Trevor Ward, was free. Trevor broke for the basket and Robert passed a line drive to Trevor’s chest. He caught the ball and shot the ball off the glass. The ball fell through the basket as the buzzer went off. Lassen had won the state championship! Robert ran and jumped in to Trevor’s arms. Robert’s journey had been very different from those of his young teammates, but nonetheless, he enjoyed the victory just as much. He wasn’t done yet. Now he would try to walk on the California Golden Bears Division One basketball team as a twenty-five year old junior.

IV
Robert was called in to his coach’s office. Robert had walked on at the University of California Berkley, his dream college. He had only seen the court once though. He was disappointed that he only played once his junior year, but he was grateful to be living his dream of playing on a college basketball team. He entered the office and his coach looked at him, “Take a seat Robert.”

Robert sat down, “Yes sir?”

The coach smiled and continued, “Look Robert, you possess one of the greatest basketball minds I have ever come across. You know the game so incredibly well. Your basketball IQ is through the roof. Unfortunately those three knee surgeries in the Army have taken their toll.”

Robert thought about the everyday pain he went through because of his knee injury. He has been blown up in Iraq while on patrol. Along with three knee surgeries, he had a huge scar on his shoulder, neck, and back. His coach continued, “I think you and I both know you are going to be buried on the bench your senior year.” Robert had thought about it, but hoped something would change. “Robert, I want you to come back next year, but not as a player. I want you to join the coaching staff as an assistant coach. This will give you coaching experience and will help you move in to a career in basketball, if that’s what you want.”

Robert thought about it. He looked down at the ground, his eyes swelling with tears. These weren’t happy tears. All Robert wanted was to play college basketball, just to start a game for a Division I school. His dream was over. He should be thankful for the job offer, he thought. He looked up at his coach, fighting back tears, “Yes sir, I would like to come back as a coach next year.”

V
Robert had enjoyed the year he was an assistant coach. He had gone on a scouting trip at the end of his first year coaching and found his true love. Scouting. All he wanted to do was scout players. Figure out who would best fit the system at Cal. It was now the spring of 2012. This was his second season as a scout for the college program he loved so dearly. His job was particularly hard because the star players didn’t want to come to Cal. They would rather go to UCLA or Arizona. Robert had to find the diamonds in the rough. He found that his favorite spot to look was internationally. He loved the international game dearly. Being an American, some people found it hard to wrap their minds around the fact that Robert loved the international players so much. Robert was in Canada watching a camp put on by the local high school in Vancouver when his phone rang. It was the coach at Cal, “Hey Robert, you have a second?”

Robert responded, “Absolutely sir.”

The coach continued, “So I have some interesting offers for you. You have done a lot for our program here at Cal and I wanted to return the favor. Your mind is too great to rot here at Cal. Plus it’s hard to recruit internationally, which is something we have noticed you love.” Robert had no idea where this conversation was going, but the coach went on, “I have some friends around the NBA. I talked you up a great deal and you have multiple offers from NBA teams to become an international scout for the organizations.”

Robert was shocked. Thrilled. He almost shouted in to the phone, “The NBA!? Are you serious coach? That is amazing. Who are the teams?”

Robert heard the coach chuckle through the phone. He was most likely laughing at the excitement of Robert. It was rare to see emotions out of Robert, “The Kings, Celtics, Knicks, Grizzlies, and Clippers.” Robert couldn’t believe it. Five teams were interested in his services. Who would he choose? The coach closed the conversation, “Take your time, we don’t need a decision right away. Just within the next couple weeks. They are all excited to hear from you.”
Pistol

Re: The Journey of a Dreamer | Prologue - Who is the Team?

Postby Pistol on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 am

The prologue is updated with the full prologue instead of updating it in parts. So any guesses or wishes on who the team is going to be? I will find a way to incorporate everyone so if you guess right you will be rewarded 5 points. I don't know what the points will be used for yet, haha. Anyways, this is going to be a heavy reading story, so if you don't like reading a lot, this won't be for you. Hope you guys enjoy!
Pistol

Postby hova- on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 am

Good start, although I hope that this isn't an autobiographic story ... all the health problems etc. ... except the Clippers I like all the teams, but even a Clippers story would be interesting. Let's see where this goes, I like it so far (Y)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Pistol on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:49 pm

hova- wrote:Good start, although I hope that this isn't an autobiographic story ... all the health problems etc. ... except the Clippers I like all the teams, but even a Clippers story would be interesting. Let's see where this goes, I like it so far (Y)

Thanks hova, and no, the injuries aren't a full autobiography. I'm fine :D Just a few knee surgeries for me, but not from an explosion. The main reason for the military background and his playing career being taken from him is to have a certain storyline that I am aiming for. Should be a good story. We shall see.
Pistol

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:35 pm

I think you will choose the Kings or Clippers - just makes sense given what you have written. Choose Clippers to win in near future, choose Kings to rebuild and win in the distant future. :)
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby Durant35 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Here's to hoping that it's the Knicks! Definitely following this!
Click the pic!

THUNDER UP II: RESTART

an Oklahoma City Thunder Association
Durant35

Postby Pistol on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 am

Sit wrote:I think you will choose the Kings or Clippers - just makes sense given what you have written. Choose Clippers to win in near future, choose Kings to rebuild and win in the distant future. :)

Durant35 wrote:Here's to hoping that it's the Knicks! Definitely following this!

One of you said the right team! Anyways, just so you guys know I'm going to have space in between these updates. The only reason being I'm still a few weeks away from being back in America. Still stuck in Afghanistan for now. I have a brand new 55 inch TV and NBA2K13 waiting for me in Hawaii though when I return back to my base. Anyways, I'll be able to post one or two more chapters without needing the game. Like I said though, I'll space them out. I am really excited to get the season under way though, I have some really good ideas.
Pistol

Postby Woogie98 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 am

Congrats on coming home :D This story is great so far..I wonder if this is what my cousin(more like big brother) is gunna do after he is done serving for the Marines :!: Anyways I think that you will pick the GRIZZLIES
***SNEAKERHEADS UNITE***
Woogie98

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:06 am

I think its going to be either the Kings or the Grizz

The Grizz because all they need is one good draft and their going to be one of the top teams in the NBA. The Kings because the pieces they need for the future are essential to their success.
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am

I think you will choose atlanta
Solaris Phase Two

Postby Khanwarrior on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:42 am

I think the Kings (Y)
Khanwarrior

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:19 am

Kings would be an awesome choice. Glad to see you back man. (Y)
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Pistol on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:32 am

Just updating everyone. I will be back in America within a week :D :D :D

Then the fun shall begin!
Pistol

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Good to hear. Happy new year, man!
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood