Daniel Diary Season 2 - Still a Rocket

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Daniel Diary Season 2 - Still a Rocket

Postby Alphasim on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:50 pm

I just had a trio of games, and I left each one with a different opinion on my game.

This is the only pic I took from this game. I thought I would be taking a ton, since I was red hot. I had 19 points on 9/12 shooting heading into the fourth quarter and was certain I was headed to a new personal best (my current career scoring high is 26). It was not to be. I went ICE cold, shooting 1-8 the rest of the way. 50% shooting is good, but I started out so well that it stings. (My line: 22p,0r,1a,1to,10/20 shooting)

I want this heard before the jury: I hate the Hornets. I hate them. I had consecutive games against them earlier in the month and I shot 2/10 and 2/8 in them, both losses. I shot a little better here, but only in the 1st three quarters. Going into the fourth we were down seven, but got outscored 18-4 in the final quarter. Really?? It wasn't just me, the whole team bricked everything shot they took, and didn't hit anything at all until the last minute of the period. Obviously, we lost. (My line: 11p,2r,2a,1s,2to,5/13 shooting)

All of that frustration was taken out on our next opponent, Memphis. As much as I hate the Hornets, I love the Grizzlies. I was absolutely on fire from the get go. I actually only had four points at the half on 2-4 shooting because I was playing the point and trying to get my teammates off first. Once I started shooting though it was on. We were only up two in the 4th but I hit a couple jumpers to open it up some before sealing it with a steal.

Ok, armchair referees - what is this a picture of? I got the pass off of a steal on the sidelines and had just blown by Mike Conely when I learned something. Did you know what NBA 2K13 includes clear path fouls? I didn't either. I mean, I should have assumed but I never saw one, until now. That lead to two free shots and the ball. I made both freebies, and on the ensuing possession, I got a layup. The Grizz have to hate me.

A virtuoso performance. My only blemishes were a handful of first half turnovers. (My line: 25p,2r,3a,3to,10/13 shooting)

I pretty well played myself out of the All-Star picture with my slump in mid-December so now I have to play my way back in, making that my short-term goal. We're 1st in the Western Conference, so the playoffs are obviously important, too.
Die-hard Cleveland sports fan for 30+ years -- Not recommended for the faint of heart
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am

Another game, and some news.

I recently had a decent game against the Sixers (My line: 17p,0r,1a,7/12 shooting) and made my mark with the plays that don't make the box score. Things like pass-to-assists, hard screens, back screens, drawing attention to free up teammates, that kind of thing. My favorite was screening Jrue Holiday in the backcourt as he tried to foul Lin, allowing more time to run off and help preserve the win.

This reporter asked me if I knew that I was leading the lead in scoring. I wanted to say no, that I was shocked, that I had no idea... but that would be an outright lie. So I bragged about it a little. Just a little, though.

Next, though was the news I mentioned at the start of the post. The news isn't so much for you guys as it is for my team. Here's how it went down.

Me: Hey, GM, boss, person, sir... I want to inform you that I do intend to test free agency after the season. Nothing personal, and I would welcome coming back, but I have to know what my value is around the league.
Him: I understand, and thanks for telling me. We hope we can resign you because you help complete our team. For now, though, focus on our upcoming game against the Cavaliers.
Me: Gotcha, I... wait, we're playing Cleveland next? Yay!

Yeah, I kind of squirreled at the end of the conversation when I learned I was playing my hometown Cavs next, but that's the gist of it. I don't necessarily intend to leave Houston at year's end but I will test free agency. I felt it was in good taste to let them know ahead of time and not leave them hanging.
Die-hard Cleveland sports fan for 30+ years -- Not recommended for the faint of heart
Alphasim

Postby Mark. on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:39 am

A real gentleman in the league (Y)
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Alphasim on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Well, we beat the Cavs but I got torched by Dion Waiters and Chris Paul so that wasn't so pleasant. Still, a win's a win. (My line: 11p,2r,4a,1b,5/11 shooting)

We also managed to beat the Celtics at their place. In this pic I shake Carmelo Anthony for a clean shot. (My Line: 12p,3r,2a,1to,6/10 shooting)

It may have only been the 1st quarter but I hit a buzzer beater against the Nets. I had another highlight but thanks to the glitchy replay system I couldn't get a pic of it for you. I won't tell you what it was, because I wanted visual proof.

Fortunately it happened again against the Suns, so I can share it with you all.

Guess what I learned how to do?

It took months of work but I can't finally do basic dunks. Sure I need a ton of runway and a clean takeoff, but it's a start.

Sprite wasn't impressed, but I'll take a 45 on the dunk meter.

We went into cruise mode over the Mavs to take that win with ease. (My line: 12p,2r,6a,1to,5/13 shooting) We're doing really well and I saw a headline that made my day after this game.

After starting the season 30th in the power rankings, we've hit #1, and the fact that we knocked off those damned Hornets makes it all the sweeter.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm

I recently wondered what real-life NBA player I most play like, so I set out to find out. I extrapolated my stats over a 48 minute game (multiplying my current per-game averages by 2.4 to get my 'ideal' stats), learning that I would be averaging 35 points, 3.1 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 1.4 steals, 0.5 blocks and 2.7 turnovers in 32.4 minutes a night. Combining that with my shooting percentages (51%/45%/80%), I set out to scour NBA stat sites, looking for my duplicate. The first thing that was obvious was that my scoring is unrealistically skewed, so I threw my points per game out. 40 minutes later, I learned that, just on pure stats, I'm somewhere between Kyrie Irving and Stephan Curry. Irving is currently averaging 3.7 rebounds, 5.7 assists, 1.6 steals 0.4 blocks and 3.2 turnovers (47%/42%/85%) while Curry is averaging 3.3 rebounds, 6.7 assists, 1.7 steals, 0.2 blocks, and 3.1 turnovers (45%/45%/91%). So yeah, that's me right now: Rick Kyrphan Irving-Curry-Daniel. Doesn't have a very nice ring to it, if you ask me. I think I'll stick with Rick Daniel.

Back to the season at hand, we recently beat the Wizards - in a game where the press lamented out 'poor shooting percentages' - by 25 points. Ouch, Washington.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Big game, everybody! We hosted the Spurs as I added to my growing career highlight reel.

I was shooting the lights out this game, but we couldn't get any separation. In the final minute, I missed a shot, grabbed my own rebound and proceeded to milk the clock before drawing a foul at the rim with about 10 seconds left. I hit 'em both to put us up three. All we needed was a stop, but Danny Green nailed a tying three... over me. Dammit. I needed to make up for that.

Mere seconds left. Tie game. Asik, get me the ball!

Win or go to overtime, I was taking this shot. I wanted to make up for letting Green get that three off.

Pulling up...

... it's on it's way...

... and bang! Nailed it with 0.4 to go!! We win!

Tony Parker congratulated me on hitting the game winner, but sounded a little pissed that I hit it against his team. I can't say I can blame him.

Of course, I got it on video, as proof. It's not fancy but I liked it.

phpBB [video]

We win! Woo! I had a solid game, too (My line: 19p,4r,1a,8/13 shooting), so I'm all happy. now.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:50 pm

I recently had a poor shooting performance against the Grizzlies in Memphis (3/7 for 8 points) but I got my all around gaming going and picked up 2 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal and 1 block to help us win. Apparently I'm attempting no-look passes now, which would kind of explain the rise in turnovers this year.

I had a monster game against Golden State recently. I had two points in the first quarter before going off for 14 in 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter. I shot the ball three times in the 3rd quarter (making once) before getting back in the groove in the fourth. I had 24 points with under a minute and a half to go, and while I wanted to break my personal scoring high of 26, I didn't want to run up the score on the already-beaten Warriors. I could try to score, get a steal and score again but that's risky and kind of cheap.

So, y'know what? Three ball from top of the arch. Money in the bank! I got my new career high at 27, but I sacrificed the rest of my game to get there. I had two assists and a steal, but those were my only other statistical contributions. Fortunately there's more to basketball than stats so I spent my time without the ball hounding Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Jamal Crawford into poor shooting nights. Crawford was actually responsible for my poor third quarter because he kept bumping me and being real physical which made getting a clear shot hard.

Unfortunately for Golden State, this is what most of my shots looked like. There was often no one near me to contest my jumper so I just got my feet set and hit shot after shot. For all my scoring, I did it on 73% shooting (11/15, 3/4 from deep). Not bad.

This just in: Apparently the league is looking at some kind of major change to the rules after the All-Star break. I don't know what it is but the word on the street is, "work on your stamina." I'll do just that.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:32 am

I was frustrated after our recent game against the Hawks because I struggled some (My Line: 15p,1r,2a,2s,5/9 shooting), mostly with my decision making. I kept running into teammates on offense and getting out of position on defense. However, that wasn't the news from this game.

It was news to me, anyway. Who do the Rockets think they're getting that's going to be better then me? Sure I make some bad decisions at times, but I'm leading the league in scoring by a good margin and I'm 5th in All-Star votes for guards. They must be getting one heck of an offer from somebody to even consider trading me.

Tune in next time, I guess, and see if I'm still in Houston.
Alphasim

Postby Mark. on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 am

Interesting, would be a big call for them to trade you! Could be an exciting turn though.
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Alphasim on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 am

Just to make it clear, I didn't ask for a trade. In fact, I wouldn't at this point because we're the best team, record-wise, in the NBA and I'm comfortable in my role as a platoon shooting guard (I start every other game). We have 32 wins and the next highest win total is 26.
Alphasim

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 am

Not sure why I fell out of following this but anyway... I've never seen a reporter talk about a phantom trade notice, you might not be in a Rockets uni coming up.
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Alphasim on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:18 am

Here's the latest from Houston: I'm still a Rocket.

Yup, still rocking the Rockets colors. It's been three games since I had that press conference so I think I may be safe.

We were up 16 entering the 4th against Orlando at home, and I wasn't shooting well. i was shooting 2/7 entering the final quarter but got hot, scoring 9 in the periods as we ran away with a 32 point win (My line: 15p,2r,2a,1s,1b,1to,7/12 shooting)

We were playing the Thunder in OKC and trailed most of the game before making a run in the 4th. I hit this three to pull us within three with 1.2 seconds left. We needed a miracle steal and a hail mary three to win.

Kendrick Perkins inbounds the ball...

.. and I tip the pass! Part one, the miracle steal is in the books!!

Chandler Parsons grabs the loose ball...

... and immediately heaves it the length of the court.

Can we complete the miracle??

Uh, no. Not even close. We lost by three. Durant and Westbrook combined for 46 points (23 apiece), 13 rebounds, 12 assists and three steals, so my line (25p,1r,1a,2s,3to,10/16 shooting) wasn't enough to cover for that (no other player for us had more than 13 points). My three turnovers came on back to back to back plays in the third quarter and were what really what put us behind the eight ball.

Lastly, we played the Pistons (still a Rocket, notice). I had a great first three quarters (My line through 3: 13p,1r,7a,1s,5/7 shooting) but couldn't get an assist for my life in the fourth because everyone went cold, including me. I shot 0-5 in the fourth quarter, so my three quarters line was my final, save for five more misses. We did win the game, thankfully.

One last thing of note is that I saw this in the news today:

Really? I'm in the 3-point shooting contest? Oh boy, I cant' wa---- hold on. That's a consoles-only perk, isn't it? Dammit.

Oh, one more thing. I almost forgot, I earned Player of the Month for January. Just a nice extra.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Still in Houston, doing better than ever.

I expected to tell you tales from my recent Sixers game where I hit this shot to go ahead by two with 5 seconds left, leading to a win. Unfortunately, we don't have time for this today. (My line: 15p,0r,5a,50%)

I do want to just gloss over this ugly loss to Indiana though. The less said, the better. (My line: 15p,0r,6a,1to,47%)

Instead, we're focusing on the last game before the All-Star break. We trailed Chicago at their place for most of the game before I tied it up on a pair of free throws late in the fourth.

I was guarding Courtney Lee on the perimeter with us down two...

... when I picked him clean.

We both raced after the ball as it skipped towards midcourt. Don't go out of bounds, ball!

Saved it, with inches to spare.

I now had a lead on the crowd.

I wanted to dunk it...

... but I had no legs left. This will be important later.

On the other end, Rose hit a go-ahead layup. Dammit! I tried to hit a shot to tie us back up with under a minute to go but I missed. JaJuan Johnson, our center got fouled on a put-back attempt but only made one of two. With us still down one, the Bulls had the ball with about 35 seconds to play. We played good perimeter D when a whistle stopped play - Joakim Noah had been whistled for a 3 second call! We had the rock with about 15 seconds left, and a chance to win.

I got the ball and attempted to get around Rose, but no dice. I was out of energy something fierce.

Trapped and out of position, I threw a risky jump pass to Lin. It made it to him, but time was starting to run out and we weren't even remotely organized.

I called for the ball back from Lin as the clock ticked down.

Ballgame.

Now you know why Lin and I were so psyched at the top of this post. We beat the Bulls as I nailed the J at the buzzer. Yes!! (My line: 25p,1r,3a,2s,1to,53%)

I was also named Player of the Week and made it to the All-Star game as the first reserve. What a feeling!
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:45 pm

The All-Star game has come and gone, and with it a rule change: The league now mandates that games run 10 minutes per quarter, starting with said All-Star game.

I came on in the 1st quarter and played most of the 2nd, scoring 8 points on 3/5 shooting. I also had 3 assists and on 1 board but that first half action was all the floor time I saw.

Our first regular season game with 10 minute quarters (instead of the 5 we were playing) tipped off with a surprise. Can you see it?

How about now? Yup, I started the game at point guard. With that in mind I set about to making plays rather then scoring. We jumped out to a 19-2 lead to start the game and when I took a seat late in the first, I had 6 points and 5 assists.

When I came back in I decided to pitch in a few baskets only to find out that the Kings have determined that defense is optional. I zipped around and cut them up all game, including throwing down four dunks. They guarded me with DeMarcus Cousins a few times in the 2nd half - that was good for two dunks right there.

My shot wasn't falling really well (I was 1/5 from three, for example) but I got inside so easily it didn't matter. Getting in the paint also let me dish out a career-high in assists with 13. That lead to my first career double-double (My line: 22p,1r,13a,1s,63%) and an easy win.
Alphasim

Postby Alphasim on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:04 pm

Two more games in the books, both in L.A. First up, we played the Clippers and I had a bad start, committing three turnovers on our first four possessions. I said to myself, "there goes my starting spot." I know how quick Coach is with this kind of thing. I ultimately had a decent game (My line: 23p,2r,8a,2b,3to,56%) and won Player of the Game as we beat the Clips.

Our next game was against the Lakers, and I was right - I lost my starting job. Dammit.

I certainly didn't help my cause this game, shooting like I had two left hands. Tons of shots would hit the rim and bounce around before rimming out, so it wasn't like I was way off. I just had no luck. However, I did meet someone who scared me.

Friends, meet Shaun Newman, a new-age Owen Boone. Who, you might ask, is Owen Boone? He was my rival in NBA 2K11 - we faced off four times and he got the better of my in three of them. You can read in my old archives about our rivalry here. He was actually the second coming of Lyle Johnston, who was my rival (and ultimately, my better) in NBA 2K10. I actually went on a"No More Lyle Johnston" tour after I was done playing him.

What does this have to do with Shaun Newman? Everything. The guy is Owen Boone-ish to a creepy degree. Like the other two I mentioned, he plays my game, but he does it better. He's faster, shoots better, he's more athletic, and I hate him. Newman only scored 8 points during garbage time in the 4th but I as I did with Own Boone, I foresee a rival.

In the end we walloped the Lakers and I played like crap (My line: 13p,4a,2s,30%). We'll see if I can get my shot back next game.
Alphasim

Postby Mark. on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:56 am

I like the increase in quarter length (Y)
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Alphasim on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Three more games down, two against Golden State, who now hate.

Part of the reason for that was Klay Thompson lighting us up like Christmas. I started again and did a serviceable job early on Steph Curry but Thompson went bonkers in the 2nd half no matter who was on him.

I had to shoot us back into the game because we couldn't stop anyone and for the third game in a row we got eaten up inside. We have zero rebounding or interior defense so I had to throw up a new career high in points - 40 - just to keep the game close but since I wasn't shooting well it took me 33 shots to do so, 17 more than the next most shots taken; 26 by Thompson. It wasn't enough though and we lost (My line: 40p,3r,7a,2s,1to,56%)

Next we played the Warriors at home. Again Thompson was hard to stop but we handled our business and won (My line: 33p,5r,8a,1s,1to,60%)

What better way to get your groove back then to play Sacramento? We jumped out to a 12-0 lead and held an advantage until the 3rd quarter when an 11-2 by the Kings run tied the game up. They proceeded to go ahead by two, and I got frustrated. I was having another less-than-stellar shooting night at this point (under 45% from the field, with a load of missed layups and a couple shots blocked) and we were once again being torn apart down low. Then, a funny thing happened. I was playing two-guard at one point in the 4th with Lin at the point, and he kept tossing me the ball and backing off, leaving it to me to make something happen.

So I did, slowing the game down and draining shot after shot. I hit this J to put us up by two with under a minute to go, leaving me one point shy of my career high. Now I had to make sure Nate Robinson - who was on a hot streak - didn't get a clean look at the basket.

Does this qualify as giving him a clean look? I swear, sometimes I'm only marginally more efficient at stopping the other team then a note taped to the rim saying, "please don't score on us." We had about seven seconds left and the ball.

I caught the pass with 6.8 on the clock...

... and waited.

I was making a career out of blown buzzer beaters the last two seasons, but I felt good now. I'd hit a few.

So I kept holding the ball.

With just under 3.5 seconds left, I started my dribble.

I jabbed towards Nate to get some space...

... and pulled the trigger.

Money. In. The. Bank.

I just stood there, almost defiant. Martin and Patterson celebrated but I just glared. We had won. That was all that mattered. (My line: 42p,3r,5a,1b,3to,57%)

I think I'm getting that killer's touch.
Alphasim

Postby Mark. on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Nice, very clutch! You stat line has taken quite a positive bump since the quarter increase (Y)
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 am

How are you not starting yet? And how is Kevin Martin even still there. GET OUT KEVIN!
SuperHueyNewton

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 am

How are you not starting yet? And how is Kevin Martin even still there. GET OUT KEVIN!
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Alphasim on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:51 am

SuperHueyNewton asked two questions; why I’m not starting and why Kevin Martin is still in town. I actually am starting now, and at my natural position – point guard. Martin – or as I call him, Electric Security Blanket – is around for games like I had against Detroit. I shot 39% from the field for 15 points but was able to feed ESB for 11 assists on way to his 43 points. He was last season’s league MVP, after all. Of course, that title should be mine this year. Just sayin’.

Next up was Indiana and I was back to my old self with 38 points on 69% shooting. I also had 10 assists, but offset that with 5 turnovers. ESB came back down to earth with just 15 points.

Against Portland, I spent the first three quarters shaking Damion Lillard to the ground over and over. We were running away with the game until Lillard woke up in the 4th.

Even sticking my arm through his head didn’t slow him down. He scored 16 of his 26 points in the fourth to make it close but we still won.

Lastly, we played the Jazz in Houston and I had one of my best all-around games of the year. I scored 31 points on 60% shooting, plus I netted 6 rebounds and 8 assists. We were actually on fire as a team, with ESB and Patrick Patterson scoring 23 and 20 points, respectively. It was a rout.
Alphasim

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:43 am

Electric security blanket. Now thats funny.

Surprised Martin won the MVP though, guess the point guard always helps :P
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Alphasim on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Still at it, folks! Here's what I've been up to.

I started out hot against Memphis, hitting my first nine shots to start the 2nd half with 18 points on 100% shooting. I didn't stay that hot but we got the win nonetheless. (My line: 31p,1r,9a,3s,1b,2to,56% shooting)

Against Chicago I got caught up in a shootout with Derrick Rose.

He finished with 38 points, 1 rebound, 7 assists, 1 steal, 1 block and 3 turnovers, while I had 41 points, 2 rebounds, 11 assists, 2 steals and a block to win both the duel and the game.

Mind you, this is what I'm seeing on almost every play now. Double teams come at me from nearly the start of the games now.

I started out cold against the Lakers with Avery Bradley on me, but once I got switched to 2-guard, I went off. For all of his D, though, one thing Bradley didn't have, was a handle. I set a career high in steals this game. (My line: 35p,4r,10a,6s,3to,59% shooting)

Against Denver I was shooting OK in the first half, scoring 20 points by halftime. In the 3rd quarter, though, I went bananas - I can't ever remember being that hot. I lit the Nuggets up for 20 points in 8 minutes of the 3rd quarter to put me at 40 to start the 4th. I wanted to hit 50 for the first time but I sat almost the entire quarter. I was six short with about a minute to go when I hit a trey to pull within three. I was on D as my man brought the ball up court and I thought, "only a jerk would steal the ball just to chuck up a three for his own stats."

I guess I'm a jerk. Still though, 50! (My line: 50p,1r,7a,2s,2to,66% shooting)
Alphasim

Postby Cruzerr on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Love the viewpoint that you are writing it from, like a true NBA star. :D

Nice going with the (douchebag) fifty! I do that all the time though, no sportsmanship :D
"Say whatever you want, m*therf*cker. Just say my name"
Cruzerr

Postby Alphasim on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:03 am

We were home again recently, hosting the team with the 2nd best record in the league, and the top seed on the power rankings; the Minnesota Timberwolves.

They're pretty good, apparently. We'll see how they withstand the best backcourt in basketball.

Turns out, they couldn't.

I had 26 points on 54% shooting entering the 4th quarter, but quickly caught fire... before committing three straight stupid fouls and cooling myself off. Shortly thereafter, I caught fire again - earning two separate "on fire" icons in about an 8 minute span.

From the 24 points/54% shooting I had entering the quarter, I wrapped up with 40 points on 63% shooting. The T-Wolves had no chance. Electric Security Blanket (Kevin Martin) scored 20 and hit 4 three pointers to help in the rout.

I think this cements us as the #1 team in the NBA, don't you?
Alphasim

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood