Vancouver Grizzlies - 1998/99 (2nd year)

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Vancouver Grizzlies - Dec '97 [5-23]

Postby tsmoha on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:36 am

@Radioman: Yeah, they're taking this "start over"-thing quite seriously ;) I somehow like that trades now, tbh.. if they keep this two lottery picks and another good pick in next season maybe.

January Part #1: Grizzlies vs Charlotte Hornets

Win, 99-78

First win in January and first win against a .50+ team as well! After some huge losses against top-seeded teams like the Bulls or Spurs, the Vancouver Grizzlies finally got a win, their 6th in the season (6-27). They snapped a 10-game losing-streak thanks to a strong 4th quarter, in which the Grizzlies outscored the Hornets by 25-14. And there's some more good news in Canada: Shareef Abdur-Rahim was named the Western Conference's Player of the week (08-14/01)! Abdur-Rahim has been the Grizzlies' most outstanding player the whole season and had a great week, even though the Grizzlies kept losing: 28ppg in his last 5 games speak for itself. If only there were more Shareefs on that team... anyway, Vancouver now faces an easier schedule with games against Denver, the LA Clippers or Golden State..

Why complain? Grizzlies-coach Grant Hill had some issues with his team's defense in 1st quarter, but the Grizzlies still had a lead after 12 minutes..

Brad Daugherty led a strong Grizzlies-bench tonight, he had 20 points and 8 boards as Bryant Reeves' backup.. anyway, the bad news came later: Daugherty will be out with an Ankle sprain for 2-4 weeks because of an late-game injury.
tsmoha

Postby megarover on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 am

Take Miller, Mullin, Smits and Jackson and add Sir Charles to an already deep ass team......It looks like the rich just keep getting richer :lol:
And its about damn time Shareef started to get some props for his play......but six wins in January dont usually buy you an All-Star spot
Dont mess with the Best
megarover

Postby tsmoha on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:11 am

@megarover: Yeah, the Pacers do have a monster of a roster now. Seems like they can reach the finals with the Barkley on the team now... will be interesting to see, if Shareef gets a chance for All-Star-game (at least).. so far, he's ranking 3rd in Western Conference-forwards-voting, so there's a chance.

@Avin: Thanks! Hope so, too ;)

@Mresuperstar: Don't worry about the possible wins. We can grab some wins without "losing" the worst record in the league ;) And it's still my goal to reach at least 17 wins, so... games like this next one are important:

January Part #2: Grizzlies vs Denver Nuggets

Win, 93-92

A back-to-back win for the Grizzlies, but how close it was this time! The game against the Nuggets saw a couple of lead-changes and completely different quarters: while the Grizzlies built a lead (29-19) in 3rd quarter, the Nuggets were able to fight back in 4th (17-32 from Grizzlies' point of view).. with a few seconds remaining, Denver led by 1 point! And once again, Shareef Abdur-Rahim proved his importance: he went all-or-nothing with a magnificant dunk (!) 2 seconds before final whistle, which gave Vancouver a close win over Denver.

Rookie-guard Antonio Daniels is in good shape and proves to be a good back-up for Bobby Jackson, who seems to hit the famous "rookie wall".. 16 pts and 6 ass by Daniels tonight.

Believe it or not: this picture shows the match-winning dunk! Abdur-Rahim struggled in first half, but found his scoring touch in second: 26 pts and what a finish-dunk with 2 seconds to go!
tsmoha

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:17 am

This should do well going into next season, how high of a lottery pick do you expect?
SuperHueyNewton

Postby megarover on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 am

It wouldn't be a Grizzlies game if you don't blow a huge lead. Wins are rare as hell this season
Dont mess with the Best
megarover

Postby Radioman on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Congrats for the victory and the clutch performance by Shareef.
Radioman

Postby tsmoha on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:20 am

@Radioman: Thanks! Shareef wasn't so much "clutch" so far, but well.. this dunk was more than good ;)

@megarover: Yeah, agreed. I still have to figure out how to defend a decent lead.

@SuperHuey: I will post a mid-season-report soon, so you will say, what pick(s) we may expect ;)

January 1998 - Results

Grizzlies record: 8-33

The Grizzlies snapped a ten-game losing streak with the surprising win against the Hornets and were 3-4 since then, including another huge loss against the Bulls. But they did well with a now easier schedule, winning back-to-back against Denver and the Clippers before the lost a close match against the Warriors.. with now 41 games played, Vancouver's goal of reaching 17+ wins is still possible, but it couldn't be more close with their current 8 wins.

January Part #3: Some impressions

Michael Jordan once again was too strong for the Grizzlies, helping the Bulls build a 18-points lead at halftime. "His Airness" had 20 points in first half, 32 in total.

Another loss for the Grizzlies in early January came against the Blazers, where 3rd-year pro Damon Stoudamire put up some nice numbers. He may not be as productive as he was in Toronto, but he's still a promising point guard (who plays for a new contract).

A back-to-back win for Vancouver, beating the Clippers with 109-95.. even though Rodney Rogers had 27pts for LA (and Dana Barros 21), the Grizzlies went 33-23 in 4th quarter and secured the team's 8th win. Bryant Reeves was Vancouver's best with 25pts, 9reb (9-13 FG, 7-7 FT), while rookie guard Antonio Daniels (picture) added 18 and Sam Mack 15.

The Grizzlies had high hopes against the Warriors, but Golden State had the better individuals today: Latrell Sprewell had 26pts, Donyell Marshall 22pts and 12reb.. Grizzlies' stars struggled today, with Bryant Reeves having 14pts/8reb and Abdur-Rahim 14/6.. rookie guard Bobby Jackson (who's sinking a 3-pointer over Ben Wallace /picture) had a very good game, scoring 14pts and adding 5 boards and 7 assists..
tsmoha

Re: Vancouver Grizzlies - Jan '98 [8-33]

Postby megarover on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 am

I didn't notice their was a transaction section on the 1st page.......Mullins, Howard and Wallace.No wonder I thought it looked goofy to see Wallace on the Warriors.
Dont mess with the Best
megarover

Postby tsmoha on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:33 am

megarover wrote:I didn't notice their was a transaction section on the 1st page.......Mullins, Howard and Wallace.No wonder I thought it looked goofy to see Wallace on the Warriors.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that I will update the 1st post with transactions and other news ;) I won't report on every single trade in the NBA, so you better check the 1st post from time to time.. as for Wallace, I may post a new trading card soon (this is a way I want to keep you update on some trades).
tsmoha

Postby Radioman on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:13 pm

I still remember when Stoudamire "Mighty Mouse" was with the Raptors, somehow he never could live up the hype around him later with the Blazers. :?
Radioman

Postby tsmoha on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:22 am

@Radioman: Unfortunately he couldn't, yes. I always liked him.. maybe he will have a greater career in this story ;) As I said, if the Blazers won't extend his contract, he will be a free agent after this season and may find a good fitting team.

@all: Here's a mid-season report! I will post detailed Grizzlies' player stats later (or tomorrow), so stay tuned.

@all #2: If you have any requests regarding to this mid-season report (single team-reports or something like that), feel free to ask ;)

Mid-Season report 1997/98

Standings

League leaders

Rookie report

tsmoha

Re: Vancouver Grizzlies - Jan '98 [8-33] (Mid-season report)

Postby megarover on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:25 am

The Rebounding Numbers look a little off.......but other than that its all good especially the presentation.
Oh and you mind telling me how the Kings are fighting for a playoff spot :shock: :shock:. Richmond for MVP?
Dont mess with the Best
megarover

Postby tsmoha on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:40 am

@megarover: I will check the Kings' team soon and let you know, why they do so much better than irl ;)... and I'm not sure, why the rebound-numbers are so low. Any idea someone? Could it be the sliders (I don't think so)?
tsmoha

Postby Radioman on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:41 pm

The Grizzlies are really trailing to the next team, but i think you do a lot better next season. Some surprises in the standings, but as it is just halfway through the season a lot can happen.

It may depend on the roster you are using and the players values, abilities and tendencies. But i am not so much into those technical details of 2k12. So i am not sure whats the reason.
Radioman

Postby tsmoha on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:22 pm

@Radioman: Thanks for trying to find a reason for low rebounding ;) As far as I don't grab 12/13 rebounds per game and leading by more than 3 on Rodman, I can live with the numbers.. and yes, next season will be better (hopefully)!

Here's our detailed player stats and a special report on the Sacramento Kings ;)

Grizzlies stats (Mid-season 1997/98)

tsmoha

Postby Radioman on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:00 am

Nice presentation on the Mid Season report, i really like the layout. I think the Kings had a decent team to that time, not to mention the team they had a few years later. :D
Radioman

Postby megarover on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09 am

Damn that mid-season report pretty fye :D . You even got the starting line up in there. I'm a big fan of Richmond's game and so its nice to see his team being successful for once.
Dont mess with the Best
megarover

Postby tsmoha on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:29 pm

@Radioman: Thanks for the kind words, glad you like the presentation! The Kings do have some potential here, but they're still overperforming ;)

@megarover: Thanks a lot! I liked Richmond, as well as the Kings (don't know why ;)...), so I would like to see them making the playoffs here.

@all: So, guys. I need your help with a possible trade! I want to get rid off Blue Edwards (now that he's replaced by Sam Mack as starting SG).. I'm not quite sure, which of the offers below I'm going to accept, so any help/votes are appreciated :) What do you think?

Trade #1Trade #2Trade #3Trade #4
PISTONS (20-23) offer:

- Jerry Stackhouse (SG, 24 years, 78 OVR, 34mil/5yrs)
- DET's 1st-round pick '98
CELTICS (12-30) offer:

- Bruce Bowen (SF, 27 years, 70 OVR, 10mil/5yrs)
- BOS's 2nd-round pick '98
ROCKETS (15-28) offer:

- Matt Maloney (PG, 27 years, 66 OVR, 325k/1yr)
- HOU's 2nd-round pick '98
HAWKS (24-19) offer:

- Ed Gray (SG, 23 years, 68 OVR, 2.5mil/3yrs)
GRIZZLIES (8-33) offer:

- Blue Edwards (SG, 33 years, 72 OVR, 2mil/1yr)
- Lee Mayberry (8mil/4yrs)
- VAN's 1st-round pick '98
GRIZZLIES offer:

- Blue Edwards
- Lee Mayberry
GRIZZLIES offer:

- Blue Edwards
- Ivano Newbill (300k/1yr)
GRIZZLIES offer:

- Blue Edwards
tsmoha

Re: Vancouver Grizzlies - Jan '98 [8-33] (VOTE for a trade)

Postby Radioman on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Trade #1 seems to be the most entertaining, but not sure how worthy your 1998 Pick is going to be. With your record you may loose the option on a franchise player like Pierce, Nowitzki or Jamison.

I think i would go with Bruce Bowen and keep the top3 pick.
Radioman

Postby megarover on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:35 am

I say trade for Bowen.I used to destroy defenses from three with him in live 04 :lol: .Pretty good perimeter defender too and always nice to have a dude like that on the squad and with how awful you have been playing ball you deserve that high pick :cool: . Plus the Celtics 2nd Round Pick should come pretty early (31-35) so it can probably be involved in a package later on.
Dont mess with the Best
megarover

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 am

Yeah i say the bowen trades is the best. Keep your pick and get a star.
Solaris Phase Two

Postby tsmoha on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 am

@all: Thanks for the votes/suggestions! As you all voted for the Bowen-trade (which was my favourited trade as well), it became a pretty easy decision. The Stackhouse-trade would be too risky, not knowing which pick the Pistons will get. Bowen will hopefully improve our bad defense, so it looks like a good deal for the Grizzlies.

Trade: Vancouver acquires Boston's Bowen for Edwards and Mayberry

VANCOUVER trades Blue Edwards and Lee Mayberry
to BOSTON for Bruce Owen and Boston's '98 2nd-round pick

What the Grizzlies get: Bowen (turning 27 in June) is having his first full NBA-year after appearing in one game for the Heat last season. He averaged 2.7points and 3.1rebounds per game (21.7minutes) for the Celtics this year (with 29 games as a starter), showing some great potential in defense. A good addition for the Grizzlies, one of the worst defending teams in the league.. also, the probably early 2nd-round pick can do some good things to this franchise.

The Celtics get: An expiring contract of 8-years-pro Blue Edwards (33 years old), who still can be a sharpshooter. He had his best season in 1992-93, averaging 16.9ppg for the Bucks. For the Grizzlies, Edwards had 7.7ppg in 41 games this season (32 games as a starter).. Mayberry has never been better than 5.8ppg in a season and it will be interesting to see, what Boston will do with his 4 yrs-contract..

Here's the updated Grizzlies-rotation (also to be found in 1st post):

tsmoha

Re: Vancouver Grizzlies - Jan '98 [8-33] (Trade announced)

Postby Radioman on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Looks like this trade makes the most sense for you not giving up the top draft pick. I just started playing a 92/93 Clippers Season, retro is just awesome. :mrgreen:
Radioman

Postby tsmoha on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:03 am

@Radioman: Thanks for the feedback. And I agree with your trade-summary.. and, yeah, retro IS awesome :) Have fun with the Clippers!

I had some time to make some new trading cards (played a bit with Photoshop-filters), so check out my newest works:

Image Image
tsmoha

Postby megarover on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Wow McDyess on the sun. To tell the truth didn't even know he ever played for them :o. You need to do a Barkley or Jordan one. Nah Ewwwing would be better.
Dont mess with the Best
megarover

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood