Hov's Kings - Retired

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: Hov's Kings - Let da Kings season begin! 1st week recap!

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:51 am

As V said, wins will come eventually (Y) The Cousins-West frontcourt will give you some happy times.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Second Week Struggles

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:10 am

ImageImage
Gifted, but both still have much room to grow: Demarcus Cousins and Luis Chase of the Sacramento Kings

Sacramento, November 7th

The revamped Lakers made quick work of their old rival Kings as they outrebounded them 57-44 and led by 29 at halftime. The "friggin' five", as forward Lamar Odom called himself, Steve Nash, Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant, scored 77 of the 110 Lakers points as LA remains unbeaten.

Evans, Chase struggling, Wright surprising

For the Kings, Tyreke Evans scored 24 points but only shot 11-27 from the field, rookie Luis Chase struggled big (1-9) and David West and Demarcus Cousins only combined for 15 points. Key reserve Antoine Wright scored 13 points and hit 3-4 from down town.

Sacramento, November 9th

Somewhat surprising loss by the Kings over the still winless Cavaliers who were led by their veterans Vince Carter (26 points/5 steals) and Baron Davis (17 points/7 assists). The Cavs forced 17 turnovers and grabbed 16 offensive boards which led to Kings' Coach Hova commenting: "We should really really question our motivation out there".

Cousins getting better and better, Cavs Rookie Woods shows versatility

Demarcus Cousins looked great posting 17 points (7-9 FG), 8 rebounds and four blocks, but despite five guys in double-figures, the Kings lost their fourth of five matches. Former Georgetown Hoya Wayne Woods posted 9 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists for the Cavaliers.

Minnesota, November 11th

The Kings loose their third game in a row as the Timberwolves outbattle them in the fourth quarter to grab the eight-point win. Michael Beasley showed his great repertoire as he posted a game high 26 points whilst Kevin Love was his usually old self recording a double-double (11 points/15 rebounds). T-Wolves new starting center Anthony Randolph was the spark of the game as he added 18 points, 11 rebounds of which 6 where on the offensive board and 4 assists.

Kings struggle on the boards, Chase has breakout party

For the third time this season, the Kings gave up 15 offensive boards. Nevertheless, Coach Hova pointed out some positive aspects: "For me, this is a team you can loose against. The T-Wolves are on their way to making the Playoffs after falling just short last season. What is more important for me, is that Luis stepped up", Hova said.

Luis Chase was having his personal breakout party, as he scored 14 of his 22 in the third quarter and also added 7 assists and 2 steals. Demarcus Cousins added his third double-double of the season, but David West remains in his slump, scoring in single digits for the third time in a row.

Pacers beat Rockets 113-144, Granger erupts for 47 ...
Meredith posts 24/14, scores game winner vs Thunder (101-102) ...
James drops third forty+ game (45), as Heat crush Jazz (87-101) ...
Artest breaks pinky, will miss up to six weeks ...
Last edited by hova- on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Kings (1-2) - Second Week Struggles - still follow

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:14 am

Axel., thanks man, Paul is a handful in this game when he penetrates, but while he did in some other game I had against him, he did not do that much in this one. Settled for mid-range jumpers more often instead of driving and dishing.

Valor, thanks, dude. Unfortunately Ws didn't come, but I'm still practising 2k12.

Thierry, thanks for dropping by, man. West hasn't really arrived in Sac-Town yet, I need to get more out of him.

Hey guys, just wanted to know who else is still following. I will post anyway, even without comments, but just wanted to stay in touch with some of you. Would be cool if you'd leave some comments here and there ;)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Martti. on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:41 am

Don't worry, still following. Tough, tough stretch though, -61 in three games. You gonna deal Cousins? Or isn't he such a dick in this story?
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:54 am

Cousins has potential in the game, I wouldn't deal him. But for story purposes, a fight with coach Hova or some teammates could make a couple of chapters :lol:
× Watching:
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Axel The Great on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:00 am

It seems as if you're still getting used to 2K12... or your team just isn't good enough. To improve, it's obvious you'll have to start on the glass and not give up so many offensive rebounds. Hopefully you guys pick it up as the season goes on. (Y)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 pm

I will get back into it soon.
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Re: Hov's Sonics II (0-1) - For those who like reading: tha

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Lakers, Heat, Wolves, Pistons, NBA guards leading the way

The friggin' five is right now dominating the league, dropping no game so far this season.

NBA.com wrote:
Lakers simply dominate, win seven in a row

"Hey, we're the friggin' five, don't expect too many losses from us", that's what Lakers forward Lamar Odom said just after the Lakers won their fourth game in a row against the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night. The five guys he baptized as the "friggin' five" are obviously belonging to the cream of the crop in the NBA.

Steve Nash, on his first year in LA after being traded during the offseason from his beloved Phoenix Suns has been able to adapt to the new System the Lakers run and is averaging 10.4 points and 7.9 assists, shooting .53% from down town. "It's great not having to shoulder the load all the time like it was in the last seasons", the 39-year old Canadian says.

Combined with Kobe Bryant, who is playing as good as ever, averaging 24.3 points and hitting over .53% of his field goal attempts, the Lakers' backcourt is definitely tough to contain.

Completed are the "friggin' five" by Lamar Odom (12.3 ppg), Pau Gasol (18.6ppg/10.9rpg) and center Andrew Bynum (13.3ppg). Definitely the best starting five the league has to offer right now.

NBA.com wrote:
Heat remain unbeaten without D-Wade as LeBron assassins NBA defenses

The Miami Heat are the only team next to the LA Lakers that still hasn't lost a game this season. At 6-0, the Heat had no business beating the likes of Utah, Washington and even the Knicks.

And all that is happening without Dwyane Wade, who missed five games with a broken hand and will be out indefinitely. With Wade out, LeBron James has taken over on offense and posted monstrous numbers.

"LBJ" is averaging 40.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game, shooting .557% from the field. The "King" simply slaughtered some teams singlehandedly, erupting for 45 points against Utah, 43 vs Washington and 45 @MSG Center vs the Knicks.

Against New Orleans, Chris Bosh led the way with 42 points and LeBron added 31 as they were the only two Heat players in double figures and still grabbed a win.

NBA.com wrote:
Timberwolves surprise, make early push in the West

The Minnesota Timberwolves have surprised many experts with their recent run, winning four of their first five games.

The Wolves won against the Kings last Saturday at home thanks to 26 points by Michael Beasley, who is averaging 21.4 points and 6.5 rebounds per game, hitting well over .500% from the field.

Rip Hamilton, who was acquired from the Pistons in last year's February is adding 18.6 points per game so far, whilst Kevin Love averages 22.6 points and 11.4 rebounds.

NBA.com wrote:
Pistons winning three in a row, go up to 3-1

After being the worst team of the league last season, the Pistons have won three of their first four games, thanks to rookie George Randolph having a stellar start to the season.

Randolph, a junior out of North Carolina is averaging 22.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game, connecting on .557% of his three point attempts so far.

The Pistons have won against the Knicks (90-85), Nets (99-90) and Pacers (116-96) so far.

NBA.com wrote:
Guards lead league

After two weeks of NBA basketball, it seems like the guards are dominating the score boards of the league so far.

Except LeBron James, who is leading the league with an outstanding 40.0 points per game, there are seven guards among the top ten scorers (namely Monta Ellis, Derrick Rose, Leandro Barbosa, Ty Lawson, Tony Parker, Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant) with none of them dropping less than 23.0 points per game.

The biggest surprise might be former Tar Heel Ty Lawson, who is averaging 32.8 points per game, good enough for 2nd place in the league. The 5-10 guard scored 40 points in a win over Golden State and put up 30 points and 10 assists as the Nuggets beat the Cavs.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Kings (1-2) - Second Week Struggles / 24 seconds!

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 pm

Martti., I will post an update on the story soon. You're right, I don't know if these guys can co-exist. I'd rather have better role players than too much young talent, but we'll see.

Thierry •, haha, but that would be more like real life I guess ;)

Axel., rebounding is an issue. I might wanna do some coaching sessions before games, totally forgot about that ... do you do that before games, or does it make players too tired? 2k12 is tough, but the more I play it, the more I notice that it is more realistic than 2k11, which I wasn't too sure about before.

Sit, no pressure intended. I just like it to discuss about my association, that's why I like comments. But I know you're busy, bro.

Guys, I will keep this one going until February. In February I have something special going: I will be going on a internship in Accra, Ghana for eight weeks. Life's better than this D, but in a way it breaks my heart that I just don't have the time/passion I once had, to get this going even more.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Valor on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:34 am

hova- wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to know who else is still following. I will post anyway, even without comments, but just wanted to stay in touch with some of you. Would be cool if you'd leave some comments here and there ;)

Always here buddy, I just think with Christmas and New Year everyone's been busy IRL, and with the NBA season JUST starting people are going to take some time to get back to the world of basketball. It's same with both of mine really.

Anyhow, sucks about the losses, especially the one to the Cavs n Wolves as you really should be getting those..but I guess it's just the team's (and yours on 2K12) maturation process :wink:

hova- wrote:Guys, I will keep this one going until February. In February I have something special going: I will be going on a internship in Accra, Ghana for eight weeks. Life's better than this D, but in a way it breaks my heart that I just don't have the time/passion I once had, to get this going even more.

Real Life is always more important, will look forward to it when you get back to the scene (Y) Have fun and good luck mate :)
Valor
Fire GarPax

DC + Who's our franchise player?

Postby hova- on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 am

Who's da man @ Sacramento?
November 12th, @United Center, Chicago.

Demarcus Cousins had the ball in his hand at the right top of the circle. The crowd at the United Center was chanting for defense as the Bulls had been able to keep us below .45% shooting for the night so far.
Cousins was backing down Joakim Noah. He took two or three tough dribbles as he finally decided to spin around Noah. The former Florida Gator Noah did not really expect Cousins to pull for a spin. Cousins spun to the middle and went for a short hop step. Carlos Boozer was late for the help D and left the lane open for Demarcus, who immediately went for the dunk.

Despite never being a high jumper, it looked like a sure-fire two-handed throw down from DC, but suddenly Joakim Noah, who had recovered quickly, came from behind and swatted the ball out of Cousins’ hands right into the fingers of Derrick Rose.
Cousins let out a big scream as he went to the floor while Rose was pushing the tempo for the break. “That was a foul, man!”, Cousins yelled at the referee under Chicagos basket.
On the other end, Rose ran the three on one fastbreak with David West being the only Kings’ defender under the basket. Rose passed the ball to Luol Deng on the left wing who found the trailing Joakim Noah for a big one-handed jam - right into West’s face.
Noah was clenching his fists and let out a remarkable roar as the Chicago crowd went nuts. “In your face, bitch”, Noah yelled at West who was still sitting on the ground recovering from the tough poster dunk.
“Timeout”, I shouted as the dunk capped off a 10-0 run for the Bulls. Both team’s players were on their way to the huddle with Demarcus still arguing with the referee.
“That’s a clear foul man, does the league pay you well for supporting big market teams, white boy?”, Cousins looked down at the caucasian referee, who was already signaling a technical on our big man.

The pumped up Noah, who was on his way to the Bulls bench looked over at Cousins arguing with the ref under the Bulls’ basket. “Just learn how to jump, you fat moron!”, Noah yelled at Cousins having a big grin over his face which was revealing his major tooth gap. The ref looked like he had heard Noah's insultings, but he didn't bother.

“Fuck you! Fuck you, you fuckin’ apehead”, Cousins took some quick steps toward Noah looking for trouble, but Keyon Dooling and Nazr Mohammed did their best to hold him back.

”You suck, Noah, I’ma fuck your girl, your mother, your whole family”, Cousins was outrageous.
He did not even noticed that he had already been tossed out of the game.

November 14th, Kings training facilities, Sacramento.

“Don’t be so harsh with him, he’s really been working hard this season”, Kevin Johnson said to me as I was about to talk to Cousins about his fine for the ejection of the Chicago game.
“He’s blocking shots left and right today, was having a very nice workout with the coaches and Joel Przbylla earlier, the kid is really stepping up”, KJ continued.
“I know, he’s getting better and better, I’ve been noticing that as well, KJ. I’ma go talk to him”, I said.

I pulled Demarcus over, sweat was dripping of his head as we both sat down.
“Hey DC, what up”, I started bumping my fist against his shoulder.
“Hey Coach, I know what you want ... it’s ‘bout Chi-City, ain’t it?”, he was staring at the floor taking a sip of his Gatorade.
“It is indeed”, I answered. “You gonna get fined for this shit”, I added while he wasn’t even moving his head, still looking at the floor.
“It’s okay. Just tell my agent the sum, he’s going to handle it, it won’t be the first time”, he said slightly raising his head.
“DC, man! What’s wrong with you? I mean, you’ve been playing great lately, but where’s your discipline, you're a pro basketball player for over a year now?”, I asked him.
He was putting ice on his knees. “What’s wrong with me? Man, we’re loosing, Coach, that’s wrong with me. And I am putting so much work into this lately. You showed me the right path last season. I’ve learned my lesson from all the wild escapades and antics. Now I am working my ass off, and we’ve won just one game”, DC looked really in pain as he put the ice on his left knee.
“I know, it’s tough. But we will win games. I know it. We’ve been working a lot. You gotta stay aggressive, but just don’t collect technicals like your first name was Rasheed, man”, I answered.
“I’ll try, Coach”, he said as I stood up to get to the locker room.
“Hey Coach”, Demarcus said while I was already three meters away from him. I looked back at him.
“Give me the ball more often, Coach. I need the ball. Downlow, or on top of the circle, give me the ball, I know if I was the fucking A option on this team, man ... we wouldn't be loosing all the time”, he said with a serious expression on his face.
“I don't know ... we’ll see”, I said as I moved on.

November 15th, Kings front office , Sacramento.

“I don’t know man. He’s more Pippen than MJ, I just don’t know what to do”, it was me talking to KJ and C-Webb.
“He’s putting up the numbers, Chris, what is the problem?”, C-Webb countered.
“The problem? C-Webb! We ain’t winning games, more precisely, we’re getting blown out!”, I said.
“But we knew that before, we knew that it would be tough to stay competitive with such a young squad. We were heading for free agency summer 2k12”, Kevin Johnson tried to stay with the facts.
“That’s all right. But his contract is expiring. If we ain’t dealing him now, we won’t get nothing in return. He did not even make a comittment to the franchise while we still had been in Seattle”, I tried to explain my problems, knocking on my desk.
“Just don’t overreact. No major deals without my veto, is that clear?”, C-Webb said decisively leaving the office.
"I wouldn't pull off quick moves you might regret", KJ said to me as C-Webb had left the door.
“By the way ... I just added Manny Harris to our squad. Young, upcoming free agent forward, was almost for free”, he added.
I could not care less.

hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Kings (1-5) - 24 seconds / Who's da man @ Sacramen

Postby Valor on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:24 pm

More Pippen than Jordan, more Robin than Batman...hum, where have I heard that before? *cough cough Skip Bayless cough* :lol:
don't think you are acquiring Lebron though, interesting to see who it actually is :)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:19 am

Already in an early hole. I think david west might need more touches.
Lamrock

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:43 am

Manny Harris. He will win you some games :lol: I know DMC will blossom here.
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: Re:

Postby hova- on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:42 am

███ Kings sign Przbylla, Harris
SACRAMENTO (AP)

The struggling Sacramento Kings (1-5) have announced the signings of center veteran Joel Przbylla and forward Manny Harris. Both players have agreed to sign one-year deals according to the Kings.
The 32-year old Przbylla has been a free agent after not resigning with the Blazers last season. 22-year old Manny Harris went undrafted in 2010 and has been playing at the D-league recently.

███ Trail Blazers sign Brandan Wright
PORTLAND (AP)

The Portland Trail Blazers have signed forward Brandan Wright to a 1-year deal. Wright did not resign with any team after being with the Golden State Warriors last season.

███ Celtics sign extension with Robinson, Allen, add Pietrus to their roster
BOSTON (AP)

The Boston Celtics have agreed to sign extensions with their guards Nate Robinson and Ray Allen. Three point veteran Allen has reportedly agreed to sign for another year with the Cs, worth 5.8M $. The 25-year old point guard Robinson has signed a contract extension worth 22M $ over the next four years.
Robinson is averaging 10.1 points on .51% shooting this season for the 3-3 Celtics, Allen is scoring 14.9 points per game so far.

The Celtics have also added french forward Michael Pietrus to their roster giving him a 1-year deal according to close sources.

███ More signings of the season
NEW YORK (AP)

More deals have been executed by NBA officials to complete their roster after the beginning of the season. Take a look at the deals below:

Grizzlies sign F Kris Humphries for 1 year/2.25M $
Warriors sign C-F Jeff Foster for 1 year/1.5M $
Suns sign G-F Keith Bogans for 1 year/1.14M $

These contracts have been extended this season:

Cavs sign F JJ Hickson to a 4-year/30M $ deal
Nuggets sign C-F Nené to a 5-year/50M $ deal
Suns sign F Grant Hill to a 1-year/5.50M $ deal
Pacers sign G Brandon Rush to a 1-year/3M $ deal
Rockets sign G Goran Dragic to a 3-year/15M $ deal
Rockets sign G Courtney Lee a 2-year/8M $ deal

███ Stoudemire, Artest among injured key players
NEW YORK (AP)

Amar'e Stoudemire and Ron Artest are two of several key players being out for their respective teams right now. Take a look at the list below to see who is injured at the moment:

Amar'e Stoudemire is out for 1-2 weeks with a hip bruise
Ron Artest is out for 2-4 weeks with a broken pinky
Andrei Kirilenko is out for 1-2 weeks with a sprained ankle
Kirk Hinrich is out for 1-2 weeks with a sore knee
Eric Gordon is out for 1-2 weeks with a dislocated index finger
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Kings (1-5) - Who's da man @ Sacramento? / Signing

Postby hova- on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:44 am

Valor, the question is, is it really about a player on a different team or rather one on my team.
hov wrote:“That’s all right. But his contract is expiring. If we ain’t dealing him now, we won’t get nothing in return. He did not even make a comittment to the franchise while we still had been in Seattle”

C-Webb ain't giving Hov the allowance to get a deal done with this guy involved.

Lamrock, You might be right. I need to understand his game better. Using mismatches in the post (West ain't that big, so it's tough) and just knock down the open shots.

Thierry •, he won't win me any games, but he's a perspective player ;) Cousins' really playing well, I like him so much in this game.
Last edited by hova- on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Kings (1-5) - Who's da man @ Sacramento? / Signing

Postby Valor on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:57 am

hova- wrote:Valor, the question is, is it really about a player on a different team or rather one on my team. [quote=]“That’s all right. But his contract is expiring. If we ain’t dealing him now, we won’t get nothing in return. He did not even make a comittment to the franchise while we still had been in Seattle”

C-Webb ain't giving Hov the allowance to get a deal done with this guy involved.
[/quote]
:facepalm2: my bad, totally missed the comment out :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: Second Week Struggles

Postby hova- on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:07 am

Demarcus Cousins scored 15 points and added 5 rebounds in 32 minutes against the Chicago Bulls.

Chicago, November 12th

The Kings led by four at halftime against the Bulls in Chicago, but in the second half nothing seemed to fall for Sacramento. The Kings only had three guys in double-figures in scoring (Evans with 23, Cousins with 15 and David West with 11) and shot only .42% from the field

Rose gives Bulls edge

For Chicago, Derrick Rose was the difference maker. The 23-year old guard , who is averaging close to 28 points per game this season scored 31 points and added 6 assists.
"It's tough", Delonte West, who was guarding Rose for most of the action, said. "He's so quick and then he has developed this shot. This boy is shooting almost .45% from down town which makes him unstoppable", the Kings perimetre stopper said about Rose, who hit 2-3 from beyond the arc.

phpBB [video]

Donte Greene with the Alley-oop on the fast break

11 points, 5 rebounds and 7 assists: Luis Chase' all-around game was a big part in the Kings' win over the Grizzlies

Memphis, November 14th

Thanks to a buzzer-beating three by Delonte West, the Kings grabbed their first road victory of the season. West had missed two three point attempts before, but used the space he got from a David West screen as he beat the buzzer. David West had 15 points and 16 boards whilst Donte Greenne was the Kings' leader in scoring with 23. Tyreke Evans only hit four of his 17 shots scoring 9 points.

Gay, Mayo struggling

For the Grizzlies, Rudy Gay wasn't able to show why he ranks 8th in the league in scoring with 23.4 points per game. The Baltimore native only scored 13 points on 14 shot attempts. OJ Mayo, the Grizzlies 2nd best scorer with just over 16 points per game shot even worse, hitting only 3-16 from the field.

The Grizzlies were led by Marc Gasol (22 points/7 rebounds/7-12 FT) and guard Mike Conley (24 points/5 assists). Fresh signing Kris Humphries grabbed 14 rebounds.

Brandon Roy looks like his old self, hits game-winning shot vs 76ers ...
Durant's 48 lift Thunder past Nets, Williams disgruntled about New Jersey ...
LeBron puts up 39/11/8 and hits game-winning layup vs Celtics ...
Despite Anthony's 37, Nuggets spoil Knicks in Melo's return ...
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Kings (2-7) - Delonte beats Buzzer, Kings win

Postby Valor on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:38 am

My Bulls got it done (Y) Tough loss man :wink:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Axel The Great on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 am

Lovely alley-oop by Greene. (Y) Good to see you got it done in the clutch against the Grizz, good effort to hold down Mayo and Gay.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Great shot by Delonte. Thank god you finally won. :P
Lamrock

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:32 am

You got a victory with Tyreke scoring only 9. Glad the other players picked up the slack (Y)
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby qfrmcpt310 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 am

Finally a W lol. Well earned.
qfrmcpt310

Postby john26 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

is that donte greene living up to the rashard lewis comparisons?
john26

Re: Hov's Sonics - Season Opener ...

Postby hova- on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:13 am

Seven straight losses will force Hova to make moves
Kingsfan88 for Kingscorner.com
Posted on November 29th 2011 3:46PM

Tyreke Evans does not take his eyes of the stat sheet. Somewhat it seems like he does not want to look into the eyes of the media at the Kings' press conference after a home game against Charlotte. He trying to avoid eye-contact with the cameras, with the reporters and - in a way - with the Kings fans.

It's been seven straight losses, with the latest one against the Bobcats being the toughest. "I don't know what's wrong with us", Evans says to the reporters after the tough 102-79 loss. "I really can't explain what's going on with this team", the 6-6 shooting guard continues. And it is really tough to line out the problems of a Kings squad, that is - from a talent standpoint - maybe the best this franchise has had since the good old days back in 2000.

After leaving Seattle last year, a brief one-year stint that never paid off, neither for the city of Seattle, nor for the Sonics/Kings organization, it looked like the new formed Kings had all the parts for a perfect puzzle. Sophomore Demarcus Cousins, coming of a solid rookie campaign in which he seemed to have become more and more mature over the season. David West, a tough veteran, coming from the Hornets in exchange for Omri Casspi. He was thought to give the team some locker room spirit as well as scoring in the post.

On the small forward spot, Donte Greene was giving reason for hope, as he turned out to be a cheap scoring alternative on the court. The team added veterans Keyon Dooling, Delonte West and Nazr Mohammed.

And then, there were two players left that every Kingsfan was looking forward to. Tyreke Evans. Coming of his best season so far as he averaged 23 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists per game shooting around .47% for the Sonics last season, it looked like the 22-year old Evans was already a borderline All-Star. A franchise player type. Although he did not want to commit to the franchise early, it looked like a contract extension for Evans was still a sure thing, as the front office never expressed anything opposite.

The second hope was a rookie point guard out of Indiana State, the college of the real great white hope, Larry Bird. Luis Chase should bring the Kings what they were lacking all season long during their time in Seattle: an athletic point guard who could take some load of Evans' shoulders and play defense.

Things didn't pan out

So far, things did not pan out. Evans is still looking for an explanation of the loss to the Bobcats. The seventh loss in a row. After beating the Grizzlies on November 14th thanks to a Delonte West game-winner, the Kings fell to teams like the Wizards (4-10), Mavericks (7-9) and Jazz (7-7). Against the Spurs they lost by 20, vs the Lakers with 30 points difference.

It wasn't Tyreke Evans' fault against Charlotte. Evans had a season-high 37 points, only five shy of his career-high he posted last season with the Sonics. It was the turnovers, the bad shooting from the rest of the team, that led to the Kings' 13th loss.

The problem is, whilst the loss itself wasn't an exception, the fact that Evans played well was. 17.5 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game shooting .39% from the field. That's Tyreke Evans' stat-line after 15 games of the season. It was obvious that his numbers would go done, as Chase, Cousins and West and Greene are putting up more than 10 points per game. But his shooting? Down by eight percent from last year. His improved three point shot (hit close to .34% last season)? .19% this year. It's pretty clear, the Kings' franchise player isn't in shape.

Team Chemistry: not existent

One problem could be, that the Kings look like they are having no team chemistry. Sometimes it's bad to have too many options on offense. Seven Kings players have taken more than 100 shots this season. In comparison: the Lakers, currently the best team in the league with 13 wins and one loss, have only five players with over 100 shots taken. And while Kobe Bryant, number one in LA in shots taken, has taken over 100 more attempts than Pau Gasol, Tyreke Evans only attempted 80 more shots than the second place David West.

What does all that mean? Well, the Kings do not have a real number one option. Tyreke Evans simply does not look like that this season. Instead, they have option 1a, 1b and 1c. That's okay if you are the Heat and have three All-Stars putting up 20 points per game. But the reality in Sacramento is different. Only Demarcus Cousins is shooting over .500 from the field, David West has problems finding his rhythm which has led to inconsistent play from him. Luis Chase is getting too many shots when you consider that he is still learning to adapt to the league and has no real jumper.

"After 15 games, we really need to find our key strategy. Coach knows that and we are looking for some changes", Keyon Dooling, first scorer off the bench for the Kings says.

"This roster is too gifted"

General Manager and Coach Hova has also noticed what is obvious. This team is somewhat too balanced. "We have come to the conclusion that we need to make personal changes", Hova said yesterday, but didn't want to tell too much in public. It's also clear that Hova is under pressure. "He needs to deliver", an other GM from the Western Conference said. "Webber is not very patient and the team was looking too promising to not make the Playoffs. Now they are the worst team in the league. That really puts pressure on Hova and KJ", the GM, who doesn't want his name to be mentioned, said.

At 2-13, it's really time to make some changes. But the market isn't really playing for the Kings. Although they have some really good pieces, especially big man Demarcus Cousins, rookie Luis Chase and Star Tyreke Evans, it will be tough to find a team that can really offer a player who will help the Kings immediately. "We have the talent, now what we basically need to add is a high-calibre player", Hova said. And it's a wise idea.

The Kings, as a small-market team, aren't usually big players on the free agency market. The cap space is there though. A trade seems like the most appropriate scenario right now. Teams that could be involved? Maybe Dallas, an old team that is going nowhere after falling to the Lakers last season and loosing Jason Kidd to retirement. Maybe the Nets (4-10), whose Star guard Deron Williams is completely looking out of shape (13.1ppg/6.5apg/.395%FG). Maybe some other teams that are looking to add some talent in order to start rebuild more like the Celtics, Bucks or Rockets.

When Tyreke Evans left the press conference after the loss to the Bobcats, he said: "See you guys in two days", as the T-Wolves will visit the Kings then. Who will the Kings trade then? There will be lots of speculation.

Last edited by hova- on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame