Hov's Kings - Retired

A collection of memorable stories from NBA 2K's franchise and career modes.

Re: Hov's Sonics II (5-14) - Big D in Seattle Part III

Postby debiler on Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Nice one, hova-! (Y)

I really like how you kind of "pimped up" Cuban's character. If you really make it to the post-season (I honestly have little doubt about that, since Chase and Evans aren't gonna be out forever), try to meet the Mavs in the first round. That would be *spicy*.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
debiler

Postby The X on Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Mavs would've made more sense for you, but I think you stick the course with Sonics. I think future dynasties/Associations (if there are any) should be Mavs, but it's always best to stick with what you started.

Personally for me I couldn't have handled Kings as I don't like Evans or Cousins :P
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Re: Hov's Sonics II (5-13) - Big Choice - Opinions plz

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu May 12, 2011 12:27 am

Axel. wrote:Didn't the Maloofs say they'd fire you if you didn't get 9th or 10th place in the conference this season? I say, try to aim for that, and if you can't get there, quit, then go with the Mavs. (Y)

+1. I said "do it", as shadow was saying, also because of the RL buzz. If you miss the playoffs all together here, go with Cuban.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: Big D in Seattle

Postby hova- on Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 am

Flashback
December 1st, Night after the game against Dallas

Suddenly my phone rang.

"Hova? Ahh hello. Really? Nice, good to hear that. So we have a deal? Oh man, at least something going the right way today. Okay, let's wind up this one quickly. Really appreciating the negotiations. We talk to each other later on, okay? Bye".

"What a day", I said to myself as I leaned back on my armchair and continued with my breakfast.

Last edited by hova- on Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby hova- on Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 am

Dunking for the Sonics now: David West has been traded to Seattle for Omri Casspi

Hornets, Sonics player swap brings West to Seattle
December 2nd, Posted 11:03 am

Just after the Sonics had to announce that assistant executive Jason Kidd had left the franchise in order to become General Manager of the Dallas Mavericks, the team was able to strike a deal which will send forwards Omri Casspi and Dante Cunningham to the Hornets in exchange for forward David West and center Aaron Gray. The Sonics will also have to swap 2013 1st round draft picks with the Hornets if they land a higher pick than the Hornets.

"We felt pretty stacked at the small forward position and were looking for a post scorer to give us more flexibility on offense", Coach and GM Chris Hova said.

"With David (West) we will be able to spread the floor for Demarcus (Cousins) in the post and our quick guards to open the lane. His arsenal contains post moves and a deadly mid-range jumper. We will also be looking for the pick&pop more often now", the coach added.

The Hornets however were looking for a small forward with a decent jump shot as Quincy Pondexter did not really seem like the solution on the three spot. Omri Casspi should be the right choice and still has a team option on his contract, which would allow the Hornets to keep him for low money, always attractive to one of the small market teams in the league.

David West had already spoken out his desire to test the free agent market after this season. The Sonics have not yet decided wether or not to offer him a contract extension for the seasons to come.

"I can't say that I am astonished by the deal. I'm leaving New Orleans after several years. This is the team that drafted me. Chris (Paul) is here. Still, from the standpoint of being successful I think both teams are pretty equal. We will try everything to get this team into the postseason", West said on the press conference.

David West is averaging 16.9 points and 4.9 rebounds in 31.4 minutes per game this season so far. West is shooting .487% from the field and a career-high .924% from the charity stripe. Right now the Hornets stand at 6-11 which ranks them last in the South West Division. West had a tough start to the season but was able to score 23+ points in three of his last five games.

31 years old, West is seeking for his last NBA contract after this season. He will earn about 8M $ this season as the last year of his contract. The 9-year veteran out of Xavier will most likely start at power forward for the Sonics.

Aaron Gray is averaging 1.3 points and 1.0 boards in 3.6 minutes per game this season. He has been the backup for Emeka Okafor and Jason Smith this season. The 5-year pro out of Pittsburgh may have to battle for minutes with veteran Nazr Mohammed. His contract expires after this season.

Omri Casspi is averaging 16.4 points and 4.5 rebounds per game this season. He has appeared in 19 games for Seattle averaging 29.9 minutes per game. Although Chris Hova is a big fan & supporter of the young Israeli, the 6-9 shooter seemed to be stuck in his development. His three point shooting has been superb over his three year career and he is shooting .399% from beyond the arc this season, but Casspi has still not much else to offer. The 23rd pick of the 2009 draft could also play power forward in New Orleans and has a team option for another year on his contract.

Dante Cunningham is averaging 3.4 points and 2.8 rebounds in 11.5 minutes of playing time this season. The 24-year old forward out of Villanova had signed a two-year 4M $ deal with the Sonics during the offseason but could not really convince the front office in Seattle. Cunningham has postmoves and a solid mid-range shot but is stuck in the body of a small forward. The Hornets are looking for solid, cheap players and will most likely have him coming off the bench.

Further it was announced that the Sonics and Hornets will swap their 1st round draft picks in the 2013 draft if the Sonics' pick is better than the Hornets' one.

"That's what you have to pay for when you trade for a former All-Star", Hova commented on swapping the picks.

ImageThe Sonics are at 5-14 right now and this could be a panic move. The front office and owners want their team to play for the 8th Playoff spot this year and they should have gotten better with a power forward who can scorer. West has seen a lot and is a proven veteran scorer. Casspi's development will be decisive for grading this deal. If the young Israeli can raise his game to the next level, the Sonics will definitely regret this move. If he keeps putting up 16 points per game over his career - mainly on shooting threes - the Sonics did the right thing. Donte Greene's good recent play also made it easier for the Sonics to give up on Casspi. Gray and Cunningham don't really play a great role in the deal, the picks will be graded when the 2013 draft arrives, basically almost two years away from now.

GRADE: It's tough to say what will happen in the future. At the moment, the Sonics did the right thing. Not more, not less.
C

ImageThe Hornets weren't satisfied with their wing players and hope that Omri Casspi will turn into a smaller "Dirk"-type of player. On power forward, the team looks pretty thin right now, but David West already said he would be testing the market after the season which basically gave no chance to the ever-money saving franchise out of Louisiana to resign him. Donte Cunningham has potential, and swapping first round picks with a losing franchise like Seattle could be a great idea on the long run. Still, are these moves to persuade and convince the best point guard to stay? Not really.

GRADE: It all depends on Omri Casspi. Can he be the player the Hornets think he can be? If he turns out to be a hidden star, the Hornets did everything right since David West is old and did not want to stay.
C

ImageRotation after the trade

PG: Chris Paul - Jarret Jack
SG: Trevor Ariza - Marco Belinelli - Joel Bridges
SF: Omri Casspi - Quincy Pondexter - Darrington Hobson
PF: Dante Cunningham - Pops Mensah-Bonsu
C: Emeka Okafor - Jason Smith

ImageRotation after the trade

PG: Luis Chase - Beno Udrih - Keyon Dooling
SG: Tyreke Evans - Delonte West - Dillon Rogers
SF: Donte Greene - Jarvis Hayes
PF: David West - Jason Maxiell - Mikki Moore
C: Demarcus Cousins - Nazr Mohammed - Aaron Gray
Last edited by hova- on Thu May 12, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby hova- on Thu May 12, 2011 3:09 am

Sit, at first I thought you were glad that I stayed with Seattle, because the team isn't competitive as long as I handle them :)

debiler, let's hope Chase and Evans will give us the lift we need in combination with David West. This team can play for that 8th spot, I am pretty sure about that.

The X, it's more fun to rebuild a team which is why I never have chosen the Mavs for my Dynasty stories. They are too good in a way. But I think that can be fun either, especially when you lose many games with a poor franchise.

Evans & Cousins are gifted. I really start to get Cousins going, he's a decent inside presence.

Thierry •, we will see what happens after the season. The goal is reaching the postseason right now.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics II (5-14) - Big D in Seattle - What deal?

Postby Axel The Great on Thu May 12, 2011 6:36 am

I like the deal. West is so tough to defend in 2K11, wonder how effective he'll be for you. Really looking forward to Chase and Evans' returns.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Houndy on Thu May 12, 2011 7:19 am

Nice deal, another good starter over Maxiell (Y)
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby john26 on Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm

I like this trade too. Maxiell is better coming off the bench
john26

Postby dare on Thu May 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Fair trade
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Lamrock on Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm

I don't like the deal. You're a rebuilding team so letting the Hornets swap picks with you and trading an improving player for an aging vet lacks the sense that is common. Prove me wrong
Lamrock

Postby Cruzerr on Thu May 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Im going with Lamrock, West is a dominating defender, but how about getting a younger Power Forward ? For Casspi, you could of get somebody. Still, your association :)

Now that I think about it, in my association I pretty much did the same thing... :D
"Say whatever you want, m*therf*cker. Just say my name"
Cruzerr

Postby Valor on Thu May 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Crappy trade for both sides in my opinion, fair grade of C from you...lets see what the 17 foot assassin can do for Seattle though :wink:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby shadowgrin on Thu May 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Lamrock wrote:I don't like the deal. You're a rebuilding team so letting the Hornets swap picks with you and trading an improving player for an aging vet lacks the sense that is common. Prove me wrong

This.
West is a FA to be and there's no guarantee that he will resign with your team. At least make your pick lottery (top 3 or 5) protected.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby puttincomputers on Thu May 12, 2011 8:37 pm

I think this is an ok trade for both sides.
Dynasty: Puttins Bobcats yr1 http://manfrednba2k11bobcatdynasty.blogspot.com/
taking draft applications!
2010-11 Playoffs - Cats beat Celtics in 5!

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”
Arthur Schopenhauer- German philosopher (1788 - 1860)
puttincomputers

Postby kibaxx7 on Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 am

Fair deal for me. (Y) As Valor said, we gotta wait to see what West can do.
× Watching:
× Watched:
Drunken Master (1978), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby hova- on Fri May 13, 2011 6:23 am

Axel., I like his jumpshot and he can also score with his back to the basket. He should be a good addition for Demarcus Cousins who is scoring most of his points beneath the rim.

Houndy, yeah, Maxiell can bring some energy and defense off the bench now.

john26, exactly my thoughts. His offensive production is just not good enough to justify him starting.

dare, ye ;)

Lamrock, I definitely will try to prove you wrong. I want to win now. I know that I won't run this story for ages, and being a lottery team all the time is no fun at all. I will try to make a postseason push now.

Cruzerr, I don't know ... he is not really a great defender but rather an offensive threat. Younger forwards would have been way expensive. Don't forget that I am not giving up that much.

Valor, crappy .. I'd call it fair ;) I hope West can give me like 16/8.

shadowgrin, don't forget that it's the 2013 pick. The draft after the next draft. I plan to make the Playoffs until then and I really think we can be better than the Hornets and then we will keep our pick anyway.

puttincomputers, exactly my thoughts.

Thierry •, yes, if he can give me those 16/8 than I think I have a tough offense when Chase & Evans are back. Casspi was a good shooter, but I have Greene and Hayes who can also shoot the ball and do even more.

Thanks for your comments. Next game will be vs the Blazers. Local derby. I hope I can post the recap soon.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Martti. on Sat May 14, 2011 4:30 am

I like the deal for you. He can knock down that mid-range jumper when Evans and Chase draw the defemse.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

SEA@POR

Postby hova- on Mon May 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Brandon Roy & LaMarcus Aldridge led the Blazers to a hard-fought win over Seattle

Image Image

Aldridge, Roy spoil West's debut in win over Sonics

PORTLAND, DECEMBER 4th (AP) - LaMarcus Aldridge scores 30 points to counter David West's 27 in a victory over Seattle.

Actually, it was just not the right opponent at the right time for the Seattle Supersonics.

Two days after acquiring power forward David West from the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for Omri Casspi, the Seattle Supersonics were looking to grab an "exclamation point win" to show the league that Seattle is competing now.

But the Sonics were facing two problems: Firstly, they were still missing their complete starting backcourt in Luis Chase and Tyreke Evans. Secondly, the Sonics were visiting the Blazers, number one seed in the West at a 11-6 record.

Despite those bad conditions, Seattle showed an encouraging performance @ the Rose Garden.

David West, who came into the game averaging around 16 points per game this season, had a great start for his new ball club. The 6-9 power forward hit his first three shots of the game and had 18 points and 4 rebounds at halftime.

"I knew that he could help us. He brings kind of like a new dimension to our game", Chris Hova said at the postgame press conference referring to his team's ability to spread the floor or run the pick & pop.

The Sonics did a good job defending Brandon Roy in the first two quarters and held him to only 16 points for the game, but the Blazers reacted by pounding the ball to LaMarcus Aldridge, who kept his team's offense flowing.

Aldridge already had 18 points at halftime, and scored 30 for the game, mostly by short fade-away jumpshots and 18-footers.

At halftime, the game seemed pretty even at 44-41.

The Blazers were able to grab a six point lead in the third quarter as Seattle, who shot .45% at halftime had trouble to find their rhythm on offense.

In the fourth quarter though, both teams were able to find and hit their shots. With 7:30 left in the game, David West got fouled near the rim, threw up the fancy shot and hit it for the And-1-play, which gave the Sonics a one point lead.

But the Blazers responded on the next two possession in form of Brandon Roy. Roy hit a nice floater and after Seattle turned the ball over, he hit made a 20 foot jumpshot that shifted the momentum.

Even with Lamarcus Aldridge getting called for his 5th foul late in the fourth quarter, the Blazers were able to keep the W @Portland and won the game, 87-95.

NOTES: LaMarcus Aldridge had his second 30 point game of the season ... Seattle had 33 freethrow attempts, Portland 15 ... Nicolas Batum scored 18 points in 20 minutes ... Demarcus Cousins had his fourth consecutive double-double ... Portland grabbed 12 offensive boards ... the Blazers only committed 4 turnovers for the game ... Luis Chase and Tyreke Evans both took the trip with the team as they are expected to play in the next game @Denver ... the Blazers stay on top of the Western Conference at 12-6 ... the Sonics are already 5.5 games behind the 8th seed (Los Angeles Lakers) ...
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Sonics II (5-14) - Seattle @ Portland - West's deb

Postby homicide1550 on Mon May 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Good debut for D-West. Roy and Aldridge is tough to deal with.
Visit my Facebook page: Kicksfix: homicide1550

Click image to view the thread!

KicksFix 2K12 2K13
(Live08) RISE UP! A Cleveland Cavaliers Dynasty

Ranked 7th, Top 10 Dynasty Hall of Fame

homicide1550
Quality Over Quantity

Postby Houndy on Mon May 16, 2011 9:39 pm

I see a bright future for this team...

Nice debut by West
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon May 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Just give the team some time to mold :wink:
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Axel The Great on Tue May 17, 2011 7:51 am

I wouldn't worry about that loss much. Sure you couldn't force the Blazers into turnovers and LMA had an excellent game, but there's some upside in West's presence down low which could ease things up for Chase and Evans when they come back against Denver. That should be a good game. (Y)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Valor on Tue May 17, 2011 8:22 am

Not bad! If West keeps this up you guys can def compete for that spot (Y)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: Re:

Postby hova- on Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 pm

███ Jason Kidd to become Mavs GM
DALLAS (AP)

Former Mavericks point guard Jason Kidd has surprisingly become the new General Manager of his last team as an NBA player, the Mavericks announced in a press conference held two days ago.

Kidd, who retired after the Mavs' tough Playoff loss vs the Lakers last season, announced his "pleasure to remain part of the organization". Kidd had been in an assistant role for the Seattle Supersonics so far this season and his departure from Seattle has caused some controversy. There had been rumours that Sonics GM and Coach Chris Hova was the preferred choice of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who denied those statements.

"Hova was never a possibility for us. Kidd was our leading candidate for the job and we are glad to have him back in our franchise", Cuban said and added that he "did not even think for a second about taking Chris Hova on board".

███ Chase, Evans looking to return to action
SEATTLE (AP)

The 5-15 Seattle Supersonics will be able to go back to their complete roster in the next game @Denver as rookie point guard Luis Chase and go-to-guy shooting guard Tyreke Evans will come back from injuries.

Evans, who is averaging 22 points per game this season, missed five games with a dislocated shoulder whilst Chase was dealing with a rip injury, causing him to miss six games.

The Sonics acquired David West in a trade lately as they are looking to rebound from a slow start to the season.

███ Arenas sets season record - lights up Pacers for 50
INDIANAPOLIS (AP)

Gilbert Arenas was able to score the highest output by a single player in this season so far as he poured in 50 points against the Indiana Pacers three nights ago.

The man they once called "Agent Zero" hit 18-39 shots and 5-11 three pointers. He scored 18 of his 50 in the fourth quarter, where the Magic outscored the Pacers 41-28.

Arenas also added 6 boards and 9 assists. "You all know that I can shoot the ball. Actually, some guys even call me a gunner", the 29-year old guard said referring to his season suspension with the Wizards two years ago.

Asked wether or not he should be cautious with those remarks, since David Stern does not like them at all, Arenas said: "David Stern loves me. He has to love me. You know why? There are no stars in the NBA. He must be glad to have a guy like me putting up 50 and represent the NBA".

███ Meredith, Chase named rookies of the month November
NEW YORK(AP)

The NBA today announced that center Lance Meredith of the New York Knicks and point guard Luis Chase of the Seattle Supersonics are named Rookies of the month November.

Meredith, who struggled to adept his game to NBA level, has improved more and more over the course of the season and his averaging 15.4 points, 9.7 rebounds and a season-high amongst centers 4.4 assists per game. He also adds 1.8 blocks in 38.0 minutes per game. His shooting of .421% still shows his problems on the professional level. The Knicks are only at .500 at the moment.

Chase, who missed the last six games because of injury, is averaging 13.2 points, 3.3 boards and 5.4 assists per game also adding 1.6 steals to his numbers. He is shooting .409% from the field and leads all rookies in turnovers per game at 3.3.

Chase's season-high is at 31 points, Meredith's at 28.

███ Rodney Brown's almost quadruple-doubles in Washinton's win
SEATTLE (AP)

Shooting guard Rodney Brown is making himself a name in the NCAA as he almost put up a quadruple-double in his Huskie's win over Stanford.

Brown, who is especially known for his wild, red hair and his beard, scored 23 points and added 11 boards, 10 assists and 8 steals being only 2 steals shy of a quadruple-double.

There has only been one players in NCAA history so far putting up a quadruple-double: Lester Hudson. Being asked if he regrets not stealing the balls two more times, Brown said:

"Those are only numbers. I hate numbers. We won, that's all. The only thing that matters to me is that my team wins."
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K Stories Hall of Fame