Denver Nuggets - The Next Level [Game 3 + 4]

A collection of memorable stories from NBA Live's franchise and career modes.

Re: Denver Nuggets - The Next Level (NBA Live 10)

Postby Kenny on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Andrew wrote:Awesome that they put Dilbert in the pool of names for generated players. :lol:

Nice working keeping the streak alive, almost there. Once that's done, here's hoping the all-time record is next. :)

I found that amusing as well. I still haven't seen a Kenneth out there... but they have Dilbert?! Crazy! :lol:

Mavs4Life wrote:Wow, I completely forgot Perko. Simon is playing great no more Stan puns now it's all "Simon says....." :lol:

I tried to bring in the Simon says puns with Simon Sampson previously, but he didn't really pan out. Hopefully we can get them going with Jim Simon.

Don't give up on Stan just yet though :)

Red Mamba wrote:Attempted to read most of this, but I made it to page 31. This is looking pretty good, and you seem nearly unstoppable on this game. I smell another championship coming...

I'll have to refresh my memory to see which season page 31 was. I had a few finals choking moments in there too... there's even a season where I tried to get LeBron a ring :lol:

Cruzerr wrote:NO MOAR STAN PUNS NOOOOOOOOO

Could you get any better at this moment? :O

As I said to Mavs4Life, don't count Stan out just yet :)

At that point of time, I had a sense that I was unstoppable.

Houndy wrote:23-2 too good

It didn't feel like I could lose during that streak.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Houndy on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:08 am

Dang whatta rip off mate :P
Houndy
Whoa, the Mavs are ballin'

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Damn, it's a shame to see the streak end at 22. Still ample time to go on another big run, though. ;)

Has Isiah Thomas taken over in Utah? :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Mavs4Life on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Also sad to see the streak end, but 25-4 isn't bad :lol: You can make vets work so well on your teams, it's crazy.
Mavs4Life

Postby Kenny on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:42 am

Houndy wrote:Dang whatta rip off mate :P

As I said, I never thought the trade would go through. If the prospect fills a positional need, I'll probably keep it. At the moment, I'm thinking about trading it to a lottery team, so they can maybe bolster their lineup. Still, I'm screwing over Utah aren't I? :P

Andrew wrote:Damn, it's a shame to see the streak end at 22. Still ample time to go on another big run, though. ;)

Has Isiah Thomas taken over in Utah? :lol:

Definitely plenty of time - it's not even the halfway point of the season yet. 73-9 is currently my personal best, so there's two possible marks I could eclipse by the end of the season.

And I think Roster Player has taken control of Utah :P

Mavs4Life wrote:Also sad to see the streak end, but 25-4 isn't bad :lol: You can make vets work so well on your teams, it's crazy.

Yeah, I can't be too disappointed with the start I've had to the season.

Scouting for veterans is going to be interesting next season, considering there's 4 real players left. Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant are coming off big contracts, which usually means retirement. My prediction is that Rose will retire and Howard will be the last man standing.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:42 am

5 Game Summary

In the first fully retro summary of the season, the Nuggets picked up early momentum by beating Cleveland and Boston. Denver however fell comprehensively to the Milwaukee Bucks, who are on the rise after spending previous seasons in the cellar. Borislav Perko managed a career high in blocks to lead the Nuggets to win against the Grizzlies, while New Orleans couldn't stick around for long enough in the 4th.

I thought the feature should be Denver Vs Cleveland, since they're both at the top of their respective conferences:

Veteran Duo Sink Cavaliers

Denver won the clash of the conference heavyweights, defeating Eastern Conference top seed Cleveland 93-81. Taylor MacKenzie led all scorers with 21, but the night belonged to Borislav Perko. He was one point shy of having a 20-20 game, picking up his almost obligatory triple-double with 19 points, 22 rebounds and 13 assists. He also disrupted the Cavs on the defensive end with 5 blocked shots. With both players fighting for a regular starting spot, Dennis Anderson and Jim Simon each had 14 points, while Stan Griffiths contributed in all areas, with 10 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 blocked shots.

Lance Simpson was the best of the Cavs, with 20 points and 7 assists. Cornelius Kohler (17 points, 10 rebounds) was the only player from Cleveland to reach a double-double, while Sam Brandon contributed 15.

-------------

DEN@CLE

DEN: 93 (MacKenzie 21, Perko 19, Anderson 14)
CLE: 81 (Simpson 20, Kohler 17, Brandon 15)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Borislav Perko 19 points 22 rebounds 13 assists 5 blocks

Rebounds

DEN: Perko 22
CLE: Kohler 10

Assists

DEN: Perko 13
CLE: Simpson 7

-------------

Last 5 Games

@CLE: 93-81 W
@BOS: 91-87 W
@MIL: 94-79 L
MEM: 83-72 W
NOH: 84-69 W

Denver is now 30-5

-------------

You're Freakin' Kidding Me!
Borislav Perko had a career-high 10 blocks against the Memphis Grizzlies... surely he's a lock for the dynasty's first quadruple-double right? He fell 2 rebounds shy, as Memphis decided to hit every single shot down the stretch. Perko ended up with 10 points, 8 rebounds, 12 assists and 10 blocks.

Mercurial Mac
It's been a rather inconsistent season for the Nuggets number 1 offensive weapon, but Taylor MacKenzie still deserves to be mentioned in the All-Star category. Against Hobbes MacDonald and the Hornets, he scored 30.

The Backup
In the games T-Mac hasn't got the hot hand, Jim Simon has done his best to pick up the slack, which is probably why some of his big performances come in losses. He scored 29 against the Bucks.

Keep the Puns Coming
Stan Griffiths may not have as many headlines this season, but he's still without doubt the best player to come out of his draft class. Against the Celtics he had 22 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists - outSTANding!

-------------

Next 5 Games

SAN
ATL
CHI
CLE
TOR

-------------

The Memphis game was incredibly frustrating... expect some big rebounding numbers in future reports :lol:
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:04 am

So close to a quadruple double once again! Glad to see that Perko's still got it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:49 am

You must have been close to pulling your hair out on that near quadruple-double. Sometimes, it feels as if when you try to go for a stat feat, the game realizes it and ramps up the difficulty, like with Memphis knocking down their shots.

Jim Simon looks very promising. Do you go back and forth starting him and Anderson? Or is there one consistent starter between those two?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Axel. wrote:Sometimes, it feels as if when you try to go for a stat feat, the game realizes it and ramps up the difficulty, like with Memphis knocking down their shots.

Same goes for maintaining long winning streaks. I still think it's largely psychological though, you end up focusing too much on it and it takes you out of the game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Still loving the retro jerseys. Definitely looking like a repeat. Go Nuggs!
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:56 pm

Andrew wrote:So close to a quadruple double once again! Glad to see that Perko's still got it.

That was by far the closest I have ever gotten. Even if I was say, 1 block off from it, I'd say being 2 rebounds away was closer. Rebounds are usually such an automatic stat for Perko.

Axel. wrote:You must have been close to pulling your hair out on that near quadruple-double. Sometimes, it feels as if when you try to go for a stat feat, the game realizes it and ramps up the difficulty, like with Memphis knocking down their shots.

Jim Simon looks very promising. Do you go back and forth starting him and Anderson? Or is there one consistent starter between those two?

I don't have much hair on my head these days, so I guess I was pulling it out of my beard :lol:

I find it hard to have a regular starter between the two. I tend to favour Anderson for his more all-round game. If I had to compare him to someone, he's probably close to Tayshaun Prince. He's a great defender, has long arms and can knock down an open jumpshot. Jim Simon is more like college Adam Morrison. All offense and generally grabs rebounds because of his height advantage (he's a 6'10 shooting guard).

Andrew wrote:
Axel. wrote:Sometimes, it feels as if when you try to go for a stat feat, the game realizes it and ramps up the difficulty, like with Memphis knocking down their shots.

Same goes for maintaining long winning streaks. I still think it's largely psychological though, you end up focusing too much on it and it takes you out of the game.

There was definitely something going on there. I had Perko pretty much waiting next to the basket while the perimeter guys took contested shots. Normally when I get close to 10 blocks, the opposition then goes into jumpshot mode. I flat out refuse to believe it's in my head! :lol:

Lamrock wrote:Still loving the retro jerseys. Definitely looking like a repeat. Go Nuggs!

I do too, they remind me of Alex English. I still wish they had the 90s Nuggets jerseys though, just for a change up. There's at least 3 retro away jerseys for Cleveland to choose from.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Congratulations!

I guess this is a little bit of humble pie for me. I enjoyed watching LeBron going 21 seasons without a ring - but in real life, I knew that was never going to happen. Now I think about it, as a fan of the NBA, I didn't really want it to happen. Great players like Charles Barkley and Karl Malone are all-time greats, but are seen as anomalies since they never won a title (thanks MJ). Every great player deserves their due, and after one of the all-time great seasons, LeBron truly got what he deserved; the illusive championship ring.

On the other side, do you guys know that Mario Chalmers actually won a ring in the corresponding NBA season in TNL? While it was actually his second ring at that point, it's still a nice little coincidence I'm enjoying at the moment. Many would say that the Heat won it thanks to their big three, Shane Battier and a game 5 from Mike Miller, but everyone here who reads this thread will know it's because the Heat had two TNLers against one.

Seriously though, congratulations to the Heat - the real 2012 NBA Champions.

Added trivia:

At the moment if you include LeBron James and Mario Chalmers, four players who played for the Denver Nuggets (in this dynasty) have won rings in real life between 2010 and 2012. Who are the other two?
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:59 pm

The Answer

As qfrmcpt310 correctly stated, Shannon Brown (2010 Los Angeles Lakers) and Dirk Nowitzki (2011 Dallas Mavericks) are the other two players that played for the Denver Nuggets in this dynasty that won championships between 2010 and 2012. Of course Dirk, along with LeBron, has the distinction of winning a championship in real life but not winning one with the dynasty team.
Last edited by Kenny on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby qfrmcpt310 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

That's easy, My boi! Shannon Brown aka Chris Brown's long lost brother and also the big German DIIIIIRRRRRRKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!
qfrmcpt310

Postby Houndy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:59 am

Darn it you beat me Q, Dirk and Shannon Brown
Houndy

Postby Kenny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 am

qfrmcpt310 wrote:That's easy, My boi! Shannon Brown aka Chris Brown's long lost brother and also the big German DIIIIIRRRRRRKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Houndy wrote:Darn it you beat me Q, Dirk and Shannon Brown

Damn... Here I was thinking I was going to throw out a tough one for you guys :P
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 am

5 Game Summary

A bunch of close games in this 5 game summary. The biggest win was by 19 against Atlanta, but apart from that, all games were decided by single figures, including the 9 point loss Chicago.

The best game was the first one against the Spurs. So here it is:

T-Mac Hook Stuns Spurs

The Denver Nuggets managed to pull off a 73-72 win against the Spurs, thanks to a move in the dying seconds from Taylor MacKenzie. The Spurs cut down an 8 point deficit to start the 4th to go up by 1, courtesy of a mid-range jumper by Steve Lefevre. With 15 seconds left, the Nuggets had to make the play:

phpBB [video]

With little time left after that play, Lefevre was unable to replicate his heroics from beyond the arc, as the Spurs fell to the Nuggets.

The Nuggets didn't have any players scorer over 20, but they had an even distribution of points. Taylor MacKenzie scored 19, including his game winning shot. Seldom used rookie Julian Chandler made the most of some rare minutes, scoring 12, along with Stan Griffiths. Jim Simon was the last of Denver's double digit scorers with 10.

San Antonio in contrast had their points scored mainly through Gordon Wilkins. He was the best player on the court with 31 points and 15 rebounds. But Steve Lefevre was the only other scorer in double figures for the Spurs, with 19 points.

The Spurs showed plenty of heart in a game that almost got away from the Nuggets. It just goes to show that no matter where they are on the table, Denver can never take San Antonio lightly.

--------------

SAN@DEN

DEN: 73 (MacKenzie 19, Chandler 12, Griffiths 12)
SAN: 72 (Wilkins 31, Lefevre 19, McLoughlin 8)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Gordon Wilkins 31 points 15 rebounds

Rebounds

DEN: Perko 9
SAN: Wilkins 15

Assists

DEN: Hunt 9
SAN: Nyoni 7

--------------

Last 5 Games

SAN: 73-72 W
ATL: 99-80 W
CHI: 92-83 L
CLE: 86-79 W
TOR: 78-72 W

Denver is now 34-6

--------------

No Rest for the Perkolater
What's a 5 game summary without at least one game of brilliance by Perko? Against Toronto he had 18 points, 17 rebounds, 16 assists, 4 blocks and 2 steals... and somehow he managed to get that shot (in picture) as well.

Big-Time in Loss... Again

Taylor MacKenzie was once again the best player in a losing team against the Chicago Bulls. He scored 29 points, but the Bulls were too strong for the Nuggets.

Retro Rose
Derrick Rose enjoyed a retro game against the Cleveland Cavaliers with 24 points and 6 assists.

Stan Pun
Stan Griffiths was too much for the Hawks to handle, as he scored 24 points. I couldn't think of a decent title...

--------------

Next 5 Games

MIN
@PHX
@LAC
@LAL
@SAC

--------------

The monthly report will be up next, but as I've done recently, I'll probably put up the next 5 games straight afterwards.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 am

Clutch play from T-Mac and just another day at the office for Perko. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 am

Those two have been in excellent form lately :)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

January 2025 Review

The retro month was an interesting one for Denver. While they had a record a lot of teams would be envious of (10-4), they losses showed areas of vunerability. Outside of T-Mac, Anderson and Simon (a rookie), their wing depth is pretty thin. Centres that clear 7 feet tall also trouble them, with the biggest players on their team being the almost-40 year old Dwight Howard and the seldom-seen Sly Mitchell at 6'11.

Perhaps I'm knit-picking too much? Afterall, Borislav Perko is in MVP form, Jim Simon picked up another rookie of the month and Taylor MacKenzie is playing himself into another All-Star selection. The positives definitely outweigh the negative at this point.

Monthly Awards

EAST Player: [NJN] Nicholas Schneider (25.7ppg 4.7apg 1.6spg)
WEST Player: [NOH] Hobbes MacDonald (25.9ppg 4.8rpg 7.2apg)
EAST Rookie: [TOR] Sly Smith (4.8ppg 2.2rpg 0.9bpg)
WEST Rookie: [DEN] Jim Simon (12.6ppg 2.4rpg 1.6spg)

MVP Race

[NOH] Hobbes MacDonald (25.5ppg 6.4apg 2.2spg)
[NJN] Nicholas Schneider (24.5ppg 5apg 1.7spg)
[LAC] Dickey Freeman (21.7ppg 7.1apg 1.2spg)
[DEN] Borislav Perko (9.6ppg 9.6rpg 7.7apg)
[GSW] Johnny Williams (20.2ppg 6.5apg 1.4spg)

Standings

EAST

Chicago 26-15
Detroit 27-18
Cleveland 24-18
Milwaukee 23-18
Toronto 25-21
New York 23-20
Indiana 23-21
New Jersey 21-23
---
Philadelphia 21-24
Miami 20-23
Atlanta 18-24
Charlotte 15-26
Washington 14-28
Boston 14-29
Orlando 13-30

WEST

Denver 35-8
Oklahoma City 30-15
Portland 28-18
New Orleans 27-19
Minnesota 25-19
Golden State 25-20
Sacramento 23-19
Dallas 24-22
---
Houston 24-24
LA Lakers 22-24
Utah 21-23
LA Clippers 22-25
San Antonio 18-24
Phoenix 15-29
Memphis 14-33
Last edited by Kenny on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

5 Game Summary

With the last game of a long home stand, the Nuggets easily took care of the Timberwolves. While the home stand ended on a good note, the story of the road had a much different beginning, as the Nuggets dropped games to the Suns and the Clippers. In typical Mile High fashion though, the Nuggets put a complete beat down on the Lakers to stop the losing streak. With a win against the Kings, the West Coast road trip ended on a high.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Laker hater, so the feature is going to be the Laker blowout:

Nuggets Back in Winning Ways

After two consecutive losses, the Nuggets had no mercy on the Lakers, beating them 105-82. Taylor MacKenzie top scored for the Nuggets with 23, while Derrick Rose continued his return to form, scoring 20. Borislav Perko was the performer of the game, registering yet another triple-double with 12 points, 12 rebounds and 14 assists. Dennis Anderson and Stan Griffiths both scored 10 each, in an encounter that saw all 12 players for the Nuggets score at least one basket.

The Lakers on the other hand had their troubles, with Dave Russell (21) the only player to score over 20. Rupert Davis added 18, while Theo Hadson added 15, along with 6 assists.

This was the Nuggets first win on their most recent road trip, after losing to both the Suns and the Clippers.

----------------------

DEN@LAL

DEN: 105 (MacKenzie 23, Rose 20, Perko 12)
LAL: 82 (Russell 21, R Davis 18, Hadson 15)

Sprite Performer of the Game: Borislav Perko 12 points 12 rebounds 14 assists 4 blocks

Rebounds

DEN: Perko 12
LAL: Sheehan 8

Assists

DEN: Perko 14
LAL: Hadson 6

----------------------

Last 5 Games

MIN: 95-82 W
@PHX: 100-95 L
@LAC: 97-95 L
@LAL: 105-82 W
@SAC: 96-82 W

Denver is currently 37-8

----------------------

AGAIN!
This time, Borislav was two blocks off a quadruple-double with 22 points, 11 rebounds, 21 assists and 8 blocks. I suppose I can't really complain about a 20-20 game :lol:

Rejuvenated Rose
The magical staff the Suns had to restore Grant Hill's playing career were clearly poached by Denver, because now Derrick Rose is having a career redemption. Against the Suns, he had 29 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists, but his numbers over the 5 games were impressive in general:

Vs MIN: 20 points 8 assists
Vs PHX: 29 points 5 rebounds 6 assists
Vs LAC: 18 points 14 assists
Vs LAL: 20 points
Vs SAC: 22 points

Does old man Rose deserve a starting spot?

Another Rookie of the Month
Jim Simon didn't score as much in January as he did in December, but he was still good for a big game every now and then. He tallied 25 against the Clippers.

STANding Tall
Stan Griffiths had a dominant game against the Wolves, with 20 points and 15 rebounds. His numbers may be down across the board, but then again, Perko and T-Mac are having pretty good seasons.

----------------------

Next 5 Games

UTA
@MEM
@MEM
@HOU
@SAN

----------------------

The next 5 games will be split up by the All-Star Weekend. So the selections and the games will be up shortly.

By the way, all NBA Live 10 gamers out there; do you find yourself frustrated by the intentional foul play in the game? In the game against the Clippers, I was down by 1 with about 5 seconds left. I hit the button for the intentional foul, and the opposition did a certain dribble that stopped Derrick Rose from putting his arm around them, and by the time I got the foul, there was 0.1 left on the clock. Needless to say, I was pretty frustrated considering the CPU can do it instantaneously no matter what's happening.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had encountered this before. It wasn't the first time something like this happened.
Last edited by Kenny on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 am

All-Star Selection

Three Nuggets Selected: Perko and T-Mac to start

As expected, Borislav Perko and Taylor MacKenzie were both selected to start for the Western Conference All-Stars, while Stan Griffiths is a surprise selection on the bench. Like last season, it'll be the second game on Stan's All-Star calendar.

With Johnny Williams out injured, Austin Nolan takes his spot on the West bench.

EAST

[DET] Dakota Kane
[TOR] Igor Martin
[DET] Casey Whelan
[NJN] Nicholas Schneider
[DET] William Coles

Bench

[NYK] Nelson Jefferson
[CHA] Luis Campbell
[CHI] Cody Campbell
[ATL] Gerald Williamson
[TOR] Lucian Asher
[IND] Murray Koch
[NYK] Dickey Hogan

WEST

[LAL] Archie Sheehan
[DEN] Borislav Perko
[NOH] Hobbes MacDonald
[DEN] Taylor MacKenzie
[LAC] Dickey Freeman

Bench

[SAN] Gordon Wilkins
[DEN] Stan Griffiths
[POR] Dilbert Roy
[SAC] Tom Coles
[DAL] Brady O'Leary
[NOH] Caleb Vick
[HOU] Austin Nolan

Two Jims Start for Rookies

Both James Palmer and Jim Simon from the Denver Nuggets were selected to start in the Rookie Challenge. Stan Griffiths will oppose them for the first time on the Sophomore team, who are heavy favourites to win the game.

Rookies

[POR] Edward White
[MIN] Dorgan MacDonald
[TOR] Sly Smith
[DEN] Jim Simon
[DEN] James Palmer

Bench

[MEM] Patrick Legrand
[LAC] Casper Legrand
[UTA] Amory Emery
[ORL] Luc Brady

Sophomores

[MIN] Luis Carlos
[DEN] Stan Griffiths
[NJN] Brendan Alston
[MEM] Emmanuel Carlos
[MIL] Don Ripley

Bench

[LAC] Manfred Dale
[MIA] Augustus Travis
[SAN] Maxwell Hall
[TOR] Will Roberts

--------------------

I think "Amory Emery" is the most epic of all the bad names I've seen generated... and did you know that there are two players in the league with the first name Dorgan? I'm going to see a Bort before I see a Kenneth :lol:
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:24 am

It's been a while since I played NBA Live 10 extensively so I don't have particularly clear memories of that issue, but that definitely sounds frustrating.

Solid month for the Nuggets, nice to see Simon take home Rookie of the Month honours and contributing in his inaugural campaign. Once again, you're well-represented at the All-Star Weekend. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Houndy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:43 am

NBA Live Intentional Foul is annoying.. I agree
Houndy

Postby Axel The Great on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 am

Always satisfying to see you crush the Lakers. (Y) It's been a while since I played Live 10, but I do remember how easily the CPU was able to evade the intentional foul, while the user can't take one dribble before the CPU has its arms around the ball-handler. It's OK though, free throws were easy money for me in Live 10, so the CPU was only digging its own grave by fouling me. :proud:

Nice to see Denver well-represented in the ASG and RS game. Amory Emery. :lol:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live Stories Hall of Fame