My New York Knicks-Franchise

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

My New York Knicks-Franchise

Postby Leander on Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:00 am

Finally I've started my franchise, with the Knicks of course. There is not so much to see on the website but a lot will come soon.

I don't create this homepage for other people as nobody is really interested in my franchise :P but I need a homepage to view my stats, save my franchise stuff anyways, so I have the homepage on my harddisc...and why not upload then, maybe someone is an NBA-freak like myself and has a look at what players are averaging which stats and so on.

Here is the link, if somemone is interested, check again from time to time....player stats, averages, game-highs and so on will come soon!

You could also have a look at my rules, I invented some injuries of my own as there are no good injury-system within the game....it's a good old throwing the dice method, unfortunately Shandon Anderson got injured after game 1 and is out for 8 games. :cry:

Here's the link:

http://www.newyorkknicks.at.tt/
Leander

Postby Drex on Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:24 am

nice dice system!
i'm gonna think about using that method for my own franchise....... :P
Drex
You bastards!!!

Postby Leander on Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:50 am

I don't know if the results will be good, though. In my point of view, it is boring to have all 15 players available each game...the same players starting and so on...

Prior to my franchise, I played one with Live 2000, simple threw the 12-sided dice for each player before each game...with 11 and 12, he was injured.

Of a full roster, about 5 players were fit for all games. The rest had injuries, ranging from 1 to 6...about 5 players missed all in all 5 games or something. Sometimes, lots of players were injured for a game, two of the 28 games, I had to play with 8 players, sometimes 3 of 5 starters were injured, it was really tough, when you have to play with some weak benchsitters. But I didn't like the system much.

So I use this new system now...at the end of the season, I can tell you how it worked. With bad luck, a player can sit out 16 straight games...
Shandon Anderson played 1 game, got injured after it, for 8 games. When he'll return, it will be game 10...10-28 still to play, he can play game 10 anyways but has to throw the dice again before game 11..and with much bad luck, he gets the most awful injury, that is 16 games....so at the end of the season, he won't have more than 3 games, hehe....ok, the chance of losing a player for so many games is very low.

If you want, have a look at my page from time to time, then you can see how is injured....I hope that Sprewell and Houston will be fit the entire season... :/
Leander

Postby Leander on Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:13 am

Just updated the page with player-files and their photos (taken from the game...3d-photos)....

Does anyone have an idea HOW I can include the stats? I have no clue, it would be sooo much work...each of the 15 player-files should look like the ones on NBA.com... --> all stats per game....then totals....then highs...

But I cannot export a TXT from a game and update each of the 15 player-files manually, after EACH of the 28 games... a game takes 4x9 minutes and the stats-stuff after it would take 1 hour or something. Also, I like to include some custom stats, namely custom efficiency, offensive awareness and defensive awareness.....as they are not in the game, I would have to take my pocket calculator and work my way through all 15 players, typing and typing, three calculations to be done for each player.

Effieciency --> take the the NBA-formula but divide it though minutes, not games.

Off.awareness --> (points+assists + off.rebounds) / minutes
Def.awareness --> (blocks + steals + def.rebounds) / minutes

Calculating these three things for EACH of the 15 players after EACH of the 28 games it.......well.....just horrible!!

NBA.com uses some my-sql or something but I don't have such stuff, could buy some but don't know how to use it. Excel can do some calculations, but I also don't have a clue how to use it.

Any ideas?

What is the best way to get players' averages and totals and some custom calculations online WITHOUT just linking this awful looking TXT the game creates? The TXT has so totals and averages mixed up, the files is to big in width, so when I scroll right to view blocks or steals, the name of the player disappears and I don't know which player what steals or blocks has.

Any ideas?
Leander

Postby Leander on Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:39 am

Just uploaded some pics to the gallery.

My dice-system does not seem to like me, McDyess will miss the next game and Michael Doleac will be out for the next 11!!! . :cry:
Leander

Postby oboeguy on Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:09 am

Dude, link doesn't work for me.
oboeguy

Postby Leander on Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:13 am

Try again later, maybe the redirect is down...
Leander

Player stats online, but a problem, please help?!

Postby Leander on Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:58 pm

Had to change the colors a bit...now, stats (averages and totals are online)...these are created with Excel, it is fast, using some formulas and so on...but when viewing them for the first time, some table-cells (dunno how they are called in English)....are fucked up.....well, e.g. ppg for houston are in a small box..but sometimes, the figures are blurred, the boxed are too small or something....but when klicking on stats the second time, the boxes are adjusted, everything is fine.....same with totals, klick on totals, stats seem to lay one over the other...refresh and everything is fine....why is that?

Loading the files first -> some mistakes....loading it the second time -> ok.

By the way, I use my own stats like offensive awareness, defensive awareness and efficiency.

Of.A. = (points + assists + off. rebounds) / minutes
Df.A. = (steals + blocks + defrebounds) / minutes
Eff = ((points + assists + rebounds + steals + blocks) - (FGA - FGM)) / minutes
Leander

Postby oboeguy on Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:50 am

How did you come up with your formulae? The old "formula" the Live series used for "player of the game" was something like "points + 2*assists + 2*rebounds + 2*steals + 2*blocks". Something like that. The idea there is that an assist led to two points, so it should count as much as two points when comparing points and assists.

As for the other stats, I'm not sure why they did it that way, because they should probably be normalized by team shooting percentage if you ask me (i.e. a rebound is only going to get you a 45% chance at a score). Even that is flawed in that turnovers should be factored in.

Blah, those are some thoughts on the matter. Now, regarding injuries... If you already use Excel, I think you need to graduate from using dice and step into the big boys world. You should have a fixed chance of injury given to each player (you probably find something like that already in the stats). As it is, with the 12-sided die you give an 8.25% chance, which is huge! The way you have it, there is only a (11/12)^15 = 27% chance of having no new injuries for a given game if you allow for injuries to IR players (i.e. in practice, if the guys on IR are not hurt) and (11/12)^12 = 35% for only non-IR guys. I haven't looked at the NBA stats in depth, but I imagine that for at least half the games there are no new injuries on a given team.

Now, suppose your little Excel things tells you "yes, injury". Another way to compute the length of the injury is to use some cool math. Use excel to generate a so-called "exponential distribution". This will weight short injuries more heavily than long ones. For example, you could have the injury duration be

=CEILING(-5*LOG(RAND()),1)

You can play with that "5" as a parameter; I chose it because it looked like it might give decent numbers.

I suppose a better simulation would have some kind of weighting of real injuries (e.g. 25% of ijuries are sprained ankles) and a distribution for each such injury (50% chance ankle was only tweaked, 25% chance it's a three-week sprain, 25% it's a six-week sprain). Then you could also have guys playing hurt by modifying stats because of injuries... dang give me a job at EA, I want to work on this stuff! :lol:

Anyone bored yet? :D
oboeguy

Postby Leander on Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:02 pm

Thanks for your long reply. I invented the formulas, Of.A and DF.A.

I prefer the dive as it is fun throwing it, hehe...besides, I am a loser concering maths and don't know how to program such injuries with Excel. I didn't do the tables on my own, some guy I know helped me out.
Leander

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood