Can the Worst Team in the NCAA Do Better Than The Nets? - Alabama A&M -- MyGM

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Can the Worst Team in the NCAA Do Better Than The Nets? - Alabama A&M -- MyGM

Postby JoshNI0428 on Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 am

Can the Worst Team in College Basketball Do Better Than The Nets?

That's the question this MyGM sets out to answer.

Alabama A&M University is a HBU (historically black university) with a relatively young D1 basketball history. They've been a member of Division I basketball for 19 years, made the March Madness once (when they lost a play-in game to a 13-18 Oakland), and haven't had a winning season since 2004-05. Their one NBA alum, Mickell Gladness played 26 games total and is now playing in Estonia. According to Sports-Reference, they are the 17th worst DI college basketball program ever, and half the programs worse than them no longer exist. In short, they're bad. And this year they were even worse than normal.

This past season, the Bulldogs finished with a 2-27 record while competing in the poor SWAC and were all-around the worst team in college basketball. As a team, they finished outside of the top 250 teams in EVERY statistical category except for turnovers. They were the worst team in all of college basketball at defensive rebounds, 3-pointers, and steals, and the second worst at points and blocks. Their starting PG shot 28% from the field and their SG and SF weren't much better. All in all, Alabama A&M had the worst season in college basketball of the last half-decade.

People constantly (and justifiably) mock the Brooklyn Nets for being about as incompetent as a NBA franchise can be, and its because of them that I'm going to take that one step further to answer the question: Can I make the Alabama A&M Bulldogs finish an 82-game season with a better record than the Nets?
JoshNI0428

Re: Can the Worst Team in the NCAA Do Better Than The Nets? - Alabama A&M -- MyGM

Postby JoshNI0428 on Tue May 30, 2017 10:07 am

So now that we know my goal, let's take a look at what we've got to work with on our roster.

Utter. Garbage. Just like we knew it would be. Let's see if there's anything redeemable about this mess.

Image McConico is our star center, if for no reason other than the fact that he's literally the only person on the team that doesn't have an F inside game. He's also gonna be a solid rebounder for us. He has bruiser and posterizer badges so hopefully he can make this at least a bit fun. His main weakness is that he's super undersized for center at 6'8", so that could be a problem. Then again this entire team is literally just one giant problem.

Image Adrian Edwards is our 6'4" power forward, and no that is not a typo. I'm hoping he can get to the line a lot though, because despite his size he likes to play very physically, and that could easily include some fast break dunks as he has one man fast break and lob city finisher badges.

Image Petty's also going to be a weapon for us hopefully, though I have absolutely no clue why. He's not particularly good at any one thing but he seems to come out of every game with at least a dozen points. I don't really know how. But I don't really care, as long as he keeps doing it. :lol:

Anyways, here's the rotation I'm using at the start of the year. I'm going to start the season out by giving players about the minutes they were actually given this last season and then adjust the rotation as the season goes on.
JoshNI0428

Re: Can the Worst Team in the NCAA Do Better Than The Nets? - Alabama A&M -- MyGM

Postby JoshNI0428 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:20 am

I never in my wildest dreams expected for us to ACTUALLY WIN in out first game of the year. We kept Denver to a very low scoring record and somehow they missed every three they attempted. It was just the perfect storm for us to somehow come away with a win, and we ended up shocking the Nuggets in what is the absolutely worst start to a season they could've possibly feared. Meanwhile things have started off pretty good for us and hopefully this can be a good sign for the rest of the season. I still strongly doubt we'll end up with anymore than around 20 wins though.

A strong game for the first half and even though we fell apart in the fourth and couldn't come away with a win things are still looking within our reach at this point. Charlotte absolutely tore away from us at the end of the game and turned what had been a solid game into a blowout. Shots just weren't falling for us, exemplified best by 0/8 shooting on the part of Marcus Merriweather. After that performance Merriweather is going to be moved to the bench and Ariston Johnson is going to start at SF in his place. That should help our offense in key stretches of the game but there's now going to be a significant size difference in that position so it could end up being very problematic for matchups against tall scoring SFs (read: Durant).
JoshNI0428

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood