[S2] Chicago Sharks - Chicago Derby!

This section is for basketball video game story threads. Dynasty, Franchise, Association, MyPLAYER and Rising Star stories are all welcome here.

Postby Valor on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Hayward’s 20 Lead Sharks To Win Over Former Team
Hayward showed no mercy to his former teammate here with a vicious two-hand jam

Chicago, IL -- Much has changed about the Chicago Sharks, a team entering its second season as a franchise. One thing has not - their stingy defense.

Opening the new season at home in front of their fans, the Sharks clamped down on the visiting Utah Jazz, holding them to just 39% shooting from the field (29-73), and took home the 91-78 victory in the 2017-18 NBA regular season curtain raiser.

Of course, a team cannot merely play defense as points are still needed, and the Sharks were led on that end by none other than the former Jazz All-Star Gordon Hayward himself.

Hayward, who opted to leave the Jazz for a four year, $114.47 million deal with the Sharks in the offseason, led all scorers with 20 points along with 4 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 steals in 35 minutes played in his Chicago debut.

He was not the lone debutant who made his presence felt, as fellow new signee Derrick Rose, a Chicago native, added 16 points and 8 assists on 6 of 11 shooting in his homecoming.

Patty Mills added 11 points and 7 assists from the bench, while rookie Josh Jackson intrigued, not only with his 7 points and 5 rebounds on a very efficient 3 of 4 shooting from the field, but with his lockdown defense that caused Utah’s new signee - and Hayward’s replacement - Otto Porter Jr. to finish with just 3 points on 1 of 14 shooting (1-10 from three).

“I though Josh (Jackson) did a fantastic job out there defensively,” said David Blatt, “He was very aggressive on that end of the floor and showed a ton of energy. I see him becoming a very good defender in this league for years to come.”

It wasn’t all doom and gloom for the Jazz, however, as Rodney Hood led the way for the with 20 points, while Dante Exum set a new career high of 17 assists alongside 5 points and 3 rebounds.

Nonetheless, Utah was unable to find any flow in this game, despite outscoring Chicago 28-18 in the third quarter following a 14-6 run, as the Sharks would quickly regain control of proceedings early in the fourth, and most of the 19 points Utah would score in the final period were a product of garbage time.

“We’ve got some work to do, that’s for sure.” said Jazz head coach Quin Snyder, “Sometimes shots just don’t go in but I think we could be better with our shot selection.”

The Sharks will now travel to Houston to take on the Rockets tomorrow evening in a back-to-back, their first of three in the opening month of the new season.

Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [S2] Chicago Sharks - Season Opener!

Postby Phil89 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Jazz fans must be pretty annoyed.

Not just with Hayward leaving and the loss; but the fact that he starred and his replacement Otto Porter shot horribly all night :lol:

Good start to the new era.
My Stories
Live 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2k13 - Wizards / 2k15 - Sixers / 2k16 - Sixers 2k17 - Suns
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Definitely a strong start. Much better than Hayward's real 2018 season debut.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Postby Valor on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Phil89 wrote:Jazz fans must be pretty annoyed.

Not just with Hayward leaving and the loss; but the fact that he starred and his replacement Otto Porter shot horribly all night :lol:

Good start to the new era.

I mean, Utah is called Salt Lake City for a reason, tons of salty fans :P

But yeah, definitely a good start. Hayward is really consistent and the athleticism surprises sometimes. JJ is really good as a defender and made Porter's life hell (Y)

Andrew wrote:Definitely a strong start. Much better than Hayward's real 2018 season debut.

Hope he gets back to 100% soon IRL :cry:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Valor on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Rose, Strong Defense Powers Sharks’ Rout of Bulls
Derrick Rose attacks the rim and finishes over fellow Chicago native Dwyane Wade

Chicago, IL -- With the exception of the teams’ final exchange in the 2016-17 season, the Bulls-Sharks crosstown matchup were some of the closest and hotly contested games last season, with the Sharks taking home the bragging rights after winning the season series 3-1.

With that knowledge in mind, fans would have expected this first meeting to be a close affair as well, with Fred Hoiberg’s Bulls wanting to take revenge and reasserting themselves as the number one team in Chicago.

The Sharks had other ideas.

Led by Derrick Rose’s 19 point, 7 assist, and 3 steals, as well as a stingy ball-hawking defense that came away with a staggering 18 steals on the night, the Chicago Sharks easily dismantled the visiting Bulls 106-66, winning the first Windy City Derby of the 2017-18 season and extending their win streak to 3 games in a row.

Gordon Hayward chipped in with 16 points and 5 rebounds, while the bench mob of Kyle Korver, Gerald Green, and Patty Mills combined for 35 of the 49 bench points the Sharks had in this one.

Mills also led the way with a career high 7 steals, which is also a new Sharks franchise record.

In comparison, the entire Bulls team only had 7 steals on the evening.

Bulls star man Jimmy Butler led the team in scoring with just 12 points, and was one of only two players to reach double figures for the visitors, with Jared Sullinger finishing the night with 11 points and 4 rebounds.

It was a night of struggles for the Bulls, as the team made just 28 of their 78 attempts from the field, went 5 of 24 from deep and only converted 50% (5-10) from the free throw line.

The visitors also struggled on the glass, as the Sharks outrebounded them by a staggering margin of 53-32. The Bulls did not have a single player who grabbed more than 5 rebounds (Robin Lopez with 5 leads the team). In comparison, the Sharks center duo of JaVale McGee and Boban Marjanovic combined for 29 rebounds alone for the hosts.

“I’m very happy with the way we played tonight, obviously the fans all want a win in these rivalry games and I’m glad we were able to send them home happy.” said Sharks coach David Blatt.

The Sharks (3-0) will now prepare for a back to back home stand against the visiting Detroit Pistons and the Dallas Mavericks in two days time.

Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: [S2] Chicago Sharks - Chicago Derby!

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Nice to get an early season win against your biggest rivals, especially in such a convincing fashion (Y)
My Stories
Live 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2k13 - Wizards / 2k15 - Sixers / 2k16 - Sixers 2k17 - Suns
Phil89

Re: [S2] Chicago Sharks - Chicago Derby!

Postby Valor on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 am

Phil89 wrote:Nice to get an early season win against your biggest rivals, especially in such a convincing fashion (Y)

For sure, I enjoyed that one very much. Always nice to humiliate GarPax Hoiball, even if it's just in the virtual world :lol:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Previous

Return to Basketball Video Game Stories