Hov's Mavs (21-27): All-Star starters / Around the league

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Hov's Mavs (0-5): Game vs Knicks - minor roster change

Postby hova- on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Dallas Mavericks (0-5) at Charlotte Bobcats (4-0) 87-77

Preview | Boxscore | Recap | Highlights

Mavericks grab first win of the season against Charlotte

Were handed their first loss of the season: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and the Charlotte Bobcats

CHARLOTTE, NOVEMBER 10th (AP) - O.J. Mayo scores 22 points and Darren Collison adds 16 as the Mavericks get their first win of the season over Charlotte.

Only one year ago, a battle between the Dallas Mavericks and Charlotte Bobcats would have been a sure thing. This season, it hasn't been. After beating the Mavericks one week ago and snapping a 16-game loosing streak against the Texan franchise, the Charlotte Bobcats still had not lost one game of the season. The Mavericks though, were still looking for that first win coming into the road game at Charlotte.

Pretty certain, that not everybody was looking for the Mavericks to win that game. But with a decent defensive effort, Dallas were able to hold the Bobcats to a season-low 77 points and take the victory.

"It's a tough season. Injuries are really getting the best of us, but we are fighting", veteran forward Shawn Marion said. "We showed that defense is, where it all starts", Coach Rick Carisle added. The Mavericks are still missing Dirk Nowitzki as well as rookie Jae Crowder because of knee and back injuries respectively.

The 2011 Champion kept plugging nevertheless, forced ten turnovers and held the Bobcats to 1-15 shooting from three point range. "They played great defense on our shooters, rotated well. That kind of broke our necks", point guard Kemba Walker said.

Walker has been the surprise of the early season putting up 25 points and 8 assists per game. He had 22 points, 7 rebounds and 9 assists against the Mavs, playing an astonishing 44 minutes with Ramon Sessions missing his second consecutive season because of a strained groin. But the Bobcats never looked like they could come back after blowing a four point lead in the second quarter of the game.

The Mavericks on the other side did a good job defending the rest of the Bobcats pack and were up by 13 in the third, a lead they would never give up. Vince Carter had all of his 10 points in the second half and fresh signing Mike James scored 9 points including an important three to give the Mavericks a three point lead midway through the third quarter.

The Mavericks top scorer for the second straight game was O.J. Mayo, who had 22 points and hit two of his three attempts from downtown.

Player Stats -- Team Stats
Image (18|23|25|21|87)

O.J. Mayo: 22 points - 4 rebounds - 10/20 FG - 2/3 3PT
Darren Collison: 16 points - 6 assists - 7/12 FG - 1/1 3PT
Chris Kaman: 15 points - 8 rebounds - 3 assists - 7/11 FG
Vince Carter: 10 points - 4 rebounds - 3/13 FG

Image (18|20|23|16|77)
Kemba Walker: 22 points - 7 rebounds - 9 assists - 4 steals - 10/20 FG
Ben Gordon: 17 points - 5 rebounds - 5 assists - 8/24 FG - 1/8 3PT
Gerald Henderson: 11 points - 3/5 FG - 5/6 FT
Bismack Biyombo: 8 points - 6 rebounds - 4/5 FG

Quotable: "I just have to get better and better. We want to get to the Playoff this season" (Charlotte Bobcats point guard Kemba Walker on his strong start to the season)
Game Notes: The Bobcats only hit one of their 15 three point attempts ... Dallas only shot 58% from the foul line ... the Mavericks are now 17-1 against the Bobcats ... the Mavericks bench recorded 28 points ...
Looking forward: CHA @ WAS (11/13) - MIN @ DAL (11/12)

Sacramento sign center Hassan Whiteside for 1 year read more
Wade strains Harmstring in loss to Hawks read more
Evan Turner has career-high 16 assists in Sixers win over Bucks read more
Rookie Thomas Robinson injures back - out for 6-8 weeks read more
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Mavs (0-6): Mavs get that W - finally!

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:39 am

Yaay! and boo! I;m happy for you and all, but I'm a Bobcats fan still :D. Anyway, good thing to finally notch in that first win!
SuperHueyNewton

Re: Dirks Final Chapter reloaded: Hov's Mavs

Postby hova- on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Spurs face Lakers: Fading contenders?

The Los Angeles Lakers (5-3) will host the San Antonio Spurs (4-3) at Staples Center tonight. Both teams haven't lived up to their expectations yet.

Nine Championship rings, eleven Finals appearances, 15 division titles. The Los Angeles Lakers and the San Antonio Spurs have coined the beginning of the century like no other teams in the NBA. But both teams have seen their status elapsing with the coming up of new Western Conference foes like the Oklahoma City Thunder, Los Angeles Clippers or Memphis Grizzlies.

The last time one of the two former powerhouses rode to the finals was in 2010, when the Lakers beat the Celtics for Kobe's fifth ring. Since then, the Lakers got pounded twice in the second round, the Spurs were fought down by the Memphis Grizzlies in the first round in 2011 and lost to the Western Champion Thunder in 2012.

Somehow it seemed like both clubs - despite their history of success, were fading. Just like their superstars were showing signs of decline. Tim Duncan, still able to make a difference, but only for 28 minutes per game. Manu Ginobili, who signed another two-year extension worth 12M $ at the Alamo just one week ago. For the Lakers, Kobe Bryant, still a top-notch scorer but with the load of 1170 regular season games wearing him down.

The Spurs are looking for Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard and some clever role-player additions like Danny Green, Boris Diaw or Thiago Splitter to stay in the race of contention. The Lakers made a big splash in the offseason this summer by adding veteran point guard and two-time MVP Steve Nash and three-time defensive player of the year Dwight Howard to their squad.

But the Lakers as well as the Spurs are struggling to begin the season. The Spurs lost the first game of the season with a bang - by twenty points against the pretty stingless Hornets. Clear losses to the Thunder and Clippers showed how far away the aging Texans are from the league's top.

The Lakers also have shown their fair share of problems. "No chemistry, no passion", Magic Johnson described the Lakers' exsanguinous performance against the rival Clippers, a 108-122 loss. The guys in purple-yellow also lost to the Jazz and Trail Blazers.

Of course, it is only the beginning of the season, but title contenders look different. I'd take the Thunder and Clippers over the Lakers and Spurs all day long. But maybe one team can find their ignitor in the matchup of the veterans tonight.
The Lakers will most likely miss their 38-year old point guard Steve Nash who is still laboring with a strained quad. "I might give it a try, but the docs have not cleared me to play yet", the Canadian said.

ImageTop Performers
Kobe Bryant 26.8 points per game
Dwight Howard 8.6 rebounds per game
Steve Nash 5.3 assists per game

ImageTop Performers
Tony Parker 21.4 points per game
Tim Duncan 9.0 rebounds per game
Tony Parker 6.0 assists per game

Stephen Curry strains ACL - listed as day-to-day read more
Monta separates shoulder, will have to pause for one week read more
Chris Paul does not want to rush things, no contract-talk read more

Okay, guys. Looking at the astonishing success of interaction games (like Sit's) and as I try to gain some more attention for my D - although my lack of activity did not deserve any attention - I want to bring back my own interactive game.

Oh Hov, what is this ish?

So just like in my last Ds, you will have the chance to get points for answering questions, forecasting events or sometimes for helping me making this D better.

Points for a pointless virtual dynasty? Can I earn money with this nerdy ish?

Actually not. You will be able to use your points for different things. I am still not sure about everything I will offer. The idea is to give you a chance to have influence on my multiverse. You will definitely be able to edit ratings of players and I have the idea of the following things: trade proposals, FA signings for teams you like, injure players you want, faster rehab for injured players, change tendencies, positions, for young players even height.

It would be cool to add some story to your changes if you like to.

So here are the first questions of this edition of Hov's Interaction Game:

Who will win the anticipated matchup of the veteran Western powerhouses? Spurs or Lakers?
Who will be the Lakers topscorer?
Who will be the Spurs topscorer?

Thanks for participating, guys! Get this D back on track!
Last edited by hova- on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Mavs (1-6): SAS@LAL Preview - Interaction game!

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks for the shoutout. :P

Who will win the anticipated matchup of the veteran Western powerhouses? Spurs or Lakers? Lakers
Who will be the Lakers topscorer? Dwight
Who will be the Spurs topscorer? Tony Tony Tony
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby hova- on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Sit, shoutout deserved, since your D is flourishing recently. Have to catch up chapter 9 soon, but I am also working on some articles for my D ;)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby SuperHueyNewton on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 am

Who will win the anticipated matchup of the veteran Western powerhouses? Spurs or Lakers? Lake Show
Who will be the Lakers topscorer? Kobe, is that a question?
Who will be the Spurs topscorer? Manu
SuperHueyNewton

Postby Mark. on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 am

Who will win the anticipated matchup of the veteran Western powerhouses? Spurs or Lakers? Lakers
Who will be the Lakers topscorer? Kobe
Who will be the Spurs topscorer? Timmy
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Valor on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 am

Who will be the Spurs topscorer? Timmy D

At last a win!
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Rosque on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:20 am

Followed this from the beginning. Interested to see where you lead your Mavs ;)

Who will win the anticipated matchup of the veteran Western powerhouses? Spurs or Lakers? Lakers, can't go against my Lakers.
Who will be the Spurs topscorer? Parker
Rosque

Postby hova- on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks for participating, guys. Recap will be upped soon. So keep your responses coming as long as it's possible!
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:18 pm

hova- wrote:Sit, shoutout deserved, since your D is flourishing recently. Have to catch up chapter 9 soon, but I am also working on some articles for my D ;)

Thank you my man. :)
Fresh8

Postby mpac on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Who will be the Spurs topscorer? Parker
mpac

Postby hova- on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:46 pm

San Antonio Spurs (4-3) at Los Angeles Lakers (5-3) 94-99

Preview | Boxscore | Recap | Highlights

Too much Mamba - Kobe lights up Spurs

Kobe Bryant lit up the San Antonio Spurs for a season-high 43 points

LOS ANGELES, NOVEMBER 13th (AP) - Kobe Bryant dominates as he torches San Antonio for 43 points in the battle of Western powerhouses.

Kawhi Leonard must have felt like being left alone on an island. In his sophomore season and already equipped with a league-wide recognition of being a defensive stopper, the 21-year old Leonard learned a lesson he won't forget as the Spurs lost to the Lakers tonight.

Nobody else than Kobe Bryant in person, the black Mamba, took Leonard back to school and praised his disciple afterwards. "He's tough. A really tough guy who will try to take away every possession, every space on the floor from you", Bryant said about Leonard - just after tearing him up for 43 points.

"Kobe is Kobe. Kawhi did the best job he could do. We have to defend better as a team to make things easier for him", Spurs guard Tony Parker explained.

The Spurs gained an early lead and maintained it through the first quarter, but it was Kobe who pushed his Lakers to a 8-point lead until the half. The 34-year old scored 22 points in the first half for the hot shooting Lakers.

Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard kept the Spurs in the game throughout the third quarter despite the strong play of Bryant, who ended up with 43 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals hitting 17-25 from the floor and 4-6 from downtown.

But Parker, who almost recorded a double-double with 28 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists, went cold in the fourth only scoring four points - helping the Lakers to pull away and add to their lead.

Leonard, who did his best on defense against Kobe, shined on offense and had 17 points. The youngster also recorded 7 steals playing the passing lanes very well.
"He did a good job", Spurs coach Greg Popovich said. "It was other guys who disappointed tonight."

Tim Duncan had 12 points and 11 rebounds and Manu Ginobili went 5-20 from the field.

For the Lakers, Darius Morris did a good job filling in for the injured Steve Nash, who left the floor after giving it a shot despite a strained quad. Morris had 10 points and six assists. Dwight Howard got into foul trouble early and scored 12 points as well as grabbing 5 boards.

"Tonight was Mamba-night", Howard said sweeping away all the rumours about the bad chemistry between Kobe and him.

Player Stats -- Team Stats
Image (23|19|23|29|94)

Tony Parker: 28 points - 9 rebounds - 9 assists - 12/17 FG
Kawhi Leonard: 17 points - 7 steals - 4 assists - 6/9 FG
Tim Duncan: 12 points - 11 rebounds - 4 turnovers - 6/9 FG
Manu Ginobili: 12 points - 2 rebounds - 5/20 FG

Image (22|28|29|20|99)
Kobe Bryant: 43 points - 6 rebounds - 4 assists - 2 steals - 17/25 FG
Jodie Meeks: 14 points - 3 rebounds - 4/6 FG - 2/4 3PT
Dwight Howard: 12 points - 5 rebounds - 3 blocks
Darius Morris: 10 points - 6 assists - 3 steals

Quotable: "Tonight was Mamba-night, I hope y'all got your antiserum with ya" (Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard on Kobe Bryant's performance)
Game Notes: The Spurs only shot 26% from downtown ... L.A. had 15 turnovers ... the Spurs did not record one blocked shot, L.A. 5 ...Los Angeles shot 53% from three point range ...
Looking forward: NYK @ SAS (11/15) - PHX @ LAL (11/16)

Bobcats beat Timberwolves - improve to 6-1 read more
Marc Gasol records triple-double in win over Knicks read more
After losing Robinson, Kings will also miss Thompson with bruised labrum read more
Warriors lose sixth straight without Curry, Bogut read more
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Mavs (1-6): Spurs @ Lakers - Mamba's night

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 pm

My favourite recap of your story so far. :)

#vino
Fresh8

Postby hova- on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Sit, thanks, mate. What tag is #vino?
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 pm

hova- wrote:Sit, thanks, mate. What tag is #vino?

Kobe :)
Fresh8

Postby hova- on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Okay, got it, bro. Like fine wine :)
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Fresh8 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:16 pm

hova- wrote:Okay, got it, bro. Like fine wine :)

Spot on! Getting better with age. :)
Fresh8

Postby Mark. on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 am

NIce recap. Kobe dominating the young fella Kawhi, still good game by Leonard. Dwight is Kobe's lapdog.
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Martti. on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 am

First win against the hottest team, not bad. (Though they still are the Bobcats)
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Re: Hov's Mavs (0-2): Home Opener against Charlotte

Postby hova- on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 am

Shawn Marion drives to the rack against the Timberwolves

Mavericks mark second win of the season in overtime against Washington - losses to Wolves, Pacers

Posted on November 17th 2012 3:11PM

The Dallas Mavericks drop two of their first three games of the week as they lose against Minnesota and Indiana. Next up will a road game in Cleveland

Minnesota Timberwolves (2-5) @ Dallas Mavericks (1-6) 100-86

"I thought that we would have gained some wind in our sails after that win over the Bobcats, but somehow we fell back to our bad habits and deserved the loss tonight", Mavericks coach Rick Carisle said after a disappointing outing from the Mavs at home.

Dallas were down by nine at halftime and only scored 40 points in the first two quarters with the Wolves rolling, especially on their guard positions. JJ Barea chipped in 11 points at the half and Ricky Rubio added 12 to give the Wolves the edge.

In the second half, Minnesota used a 15-6 run to pull away - all that without their superstar Kevin Love who was forced to sit with a broken hand. Nikola Pekovic filled in well though, dominating the boards as he grabbed a career-high 17 rebounds. "This is one of our biggest problems right now as what I can see from the bench - the rebounding", still-injured franchise player Dirk Nowitzki told media afterwards. The Mavs only rank 24th in the league with 43.4 rebounds per game.

The Timberwolves celebrated team basketball, dishing out a season-high 32 assists and got a load of easy baskets (55 points in the paint). Former Mav Barea led five Wolves in double figures with 20 points, Ricky Rubio added 18 and Pekovic 16. For the Mavs, Vince Carter had a team-high 18 and Darren Collison added 16 points, but also committed 5 turnovers.

O.J. Mayo led the Mavericks to their second win of the season in a close overtime matchup against Washington.

Washington Wizards (2-4) @ Dallas Mavericks (1-7) 95-102

In the end, the result of the game between the Wizards and the Mavericks did not seem as tight as the game had been. The Mavericks led by four with 1:40 left in the game after a three point shot by OJ Mayo, but the Wizards were able to force overtime thanks to two big shots by Jordan Crawford in the last minute of the game.

Washington had led the game by 12 points in the second quarter, but the Mavericks came back in the third and cut into the deficit thanks to the strong play on the boards by Elton Brand (13 points, 13 rebounds) and Shawn Marion (10 points, 8 rebounds).

The Wizards, playing without their starting point guard John Wall who is out with an foot injury, put their offense into the hands of Jordan Crawford, who played 47 minutes in the game and scored 23 points on 10-23 shooting.

In overtime, Dallas guard OJ Mayo who had 23 points and hit 3/7 from downtown put the nail in the coffein with a contested three from the right wing, giving the Mavs a five point lead.

Dallas had a season-high 12 steals with Brandan Wright getting four of them. The backup center had a decent outing with 12 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists. Darren Collison added 16 points and 10 dimes. For Washington, who only shot 41% from the field, Trevor Ariza and Nené scored 16 apiece.

Gave the Mavericks fits: David West and the Indiana Pacers

Dallas Mavericks (2-7) @ Indiana Pacers (5-5) 88-98

After three straight home matchups the Mavericks hit the road again as they travelled to Indiana facing the Pacers.

Both teams shot well from the field at 48% but the Pacers had 13 offensive boards compared to Dallas' 7 and shot 37% from down town to root the Mavericks in front of their home crowd.

OJ Mayo had 18 of his season-high 31 points in the first half but the Mavericks were still trailing by 7. Dallas had problems stopping the strong inside duo of Roy Hibbert (22 points) and David West (14 points).

Vince Carter added 16 points and Darren Collison and Chris Kaman 12 apiece but the Pacers looked better battling for boards and kept the W at home.

Dallas will move on to Cleveland to play the surprisingly strong Cavaliers (5-1) and their superstar point guard Kyrie Irving tonight @Quicken Loans Arena.

Shocking news for Memphis: Rudy Gay out for six weeks read more
Durant scores 40 in win over Hornets read more
LeBron grabs 5000th career rebound in win over Rockets read more
Kobe: "I feel like im 25 again" read more
Madrid star Claudio Sosa wants to be in the NBA read more
Last edited by hova- on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Mavs (1-6): Week three November

Postby hova- on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 am

Sit, Looking at RL Kobe, he really is turning back the hands of time recently with his slams.

Mark., haha, Dwight and Kobe somehow does not fit if you ask me.

Martti., they are good in the game, Kemba is really tough to stop.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Mavs (1-6): Week three November

Postby Valor on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:25 am

Damn, you really need to get it going offensively, barely beating the Wizards and getting blown out by Minny & Indiana ain't gonna cut it :|
Valor
Fire GarPax

Re: Hov's Mavs (0-5): Keep voting your GOTM!!

Postby hova- on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Dallas News wrote:

Cavaliers shoot the lights out, top Mavericks

CLEVELAND (AP) Mavericks get downed by the hot three point shooting of the Cavaliers (91-120) and return back home to Dallas without a W out of two road games.

Coming of two straight upset wins over Brooklyn and Oklahoma City, the Cavaliers continued their hot shooting @ Quicken Loans Arena as they hit 15 of their 31 three point shot attempts.

Point guard standout Kyrie Irving, who is averaging 25.8 points and 8.3 assist per game this season so far, scored only 11 points but also dished out 11 assists after his two MVP-type performances against OKC and Brooklyn. (29/9 and 28/10).

CJ Miles was the top player for the hosts as he shot the lights out from down town (5/8) en route to 26 points. For the Mavs, who were already down by 14 after the first quarter, OJ Mayo scored 23 points and Vince Carter added 15.

Dallas News wrote:

Kaman strains calf - will play through it

CLEVELAND (AP) Chris Kaman has strained his calf in the Mavs 91-120 road loss in Cleveland.

Tough news for the Dallas Mavericks. Center starter Chris Kaman has reportedly strained his calf in the Mavs loss to Cleveland last night.

"We already knew that he was hurt during the game and sat him in the last quarter. But Chris is tough. It is only a strain, so he might be able to go for the next games", Mavs assistant Coach Chris Hova said.

Kaman is averaging 12.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game shooting 51% from the floor for the Mavs this season.

hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Re: Hov's Mavs (2-8): Two game road trip ends in Cleveland

Postby hova- on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Valor, add Cleveland to it. It's tough without Dirk. Almost nobody there to draw attention from more than one defender. Mayo's been getting better though. I don't want to rush anything, but deals seem inevitable. I want to get Dirk back first, then we will see what happens.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood