Which other video game developer do you think should make basketball video games

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Which other video game developer do you think should make basketball video games

Postby Corymach7 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:59 am

I was thinking of Xseed Games in the city of Torrance in the USA. Even Haemimont Games in Sofia, Bulgaria should compete with NBA Live and NBA 2K, along with 2XL Games in Phoenix, Torus Games in Australia, Sobee Studios in Istanbul, Turkey and F4 in Paris, France. What other video game developers do you suggest?
Corymach7

Re: Which other video game developer do you think should make basketball video games

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:19 am

At this point, I think it'd be difficult for anyone else to get into the game. Putting aside any issues with acquiring the license, basketball video games are way more complex than they used to be, with a demand for a very high level of realism. We've seen how starting from scratch and changing direction has hurt EA Sports with NBA Live in recent years, and they've been developing basketball games for over a quarter of a century. Anyone else who throws their hat into the ring is going to have to start from scratch, so their product is likely going to be very rough on the realism front. It would also remain to be seen whether they could arrange to get face scans done, not to mention broker a deal similar to the one EA has with Synergy Sports, and so on.

That's not to say that no one else should give it a go, but EA and VC both have a huge advantage in that they've got a lot of resources and framework in place already, as well as the necessary connections and pull with the league. I just think it would be pretty tough for another developer to get in on the market, compared to how it used to be when basketball games were more primitive. But it would be interesting to see it happen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Which other video game developer do you think should make basketball video games

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:56 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Microsoft or Sony try their hat in the ring again. Although, I doubt they actually would at this point.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Corymach7 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:11 am

I've just contacted the NBA on making the licensing easy.
Corymach7

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:12 am

Incidentally, we ended up having a discussion on this in Episode #111 of the NLSC Podcast, which has just been released:
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-episode-111/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:23 am

I wish Konami would come back and make an NBA game, from what I've seen in videos the last one was a solid and interesting game.

After following PES 2015 and playing it (which is a fantastic soccer game gameplaywise, much better than FIFA), I believe they have the tools to make at least a decent game; they have the new Fox Engine (as also seen in some MGS trailers) which would work well in next-gen consoles, the team tries to focus on sim gameplay with differentiation between teams and players, very nice visuals (from what I've seen in PES 2015 and MGS 5) and seeing that the company decided to install an office in Europe for PES makes me think that they would do the same if they decided to create a new NBA game which would benefit them if they put an office in USA. Perhaps they don't see that they have a chance to become competitive in the basketball market but then they seem to be happy enough to be in FIFA's shadow sales-wise.

The only problem I'd think that could happen is them getting the NBA license, I don't know how much is it but in PES Konami has struggled to compete against EA to gain the licenses of the EPL and Bundesliga although that happen mostly of EA's relationship with said leagues.
Ermolli

Postby BPDHoplite on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:56 am

I am confused as to why a big European developer has never released a basketball game based on the Euroleague and Eurocup. Basketball is huge is eastern Europe and countries such as France and Spain
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Book_Gazette on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 am

Corymach7 wrote:I've just contacted the NBA on making the licensing easy.

I was thinking a free to play NBA Sim on all consoles (including PC) and making In-App Purchases go straight to NBA Cares. Then add a team-building game and since it is non-profit, we may have a higher chance of getting retired legends into the game. Also I'm thinking using an all in one server so that no console dominates one another.
Book_Gazette

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 am

DaCrispy wrote:I am confused as to why a big European developer has never released a basketball game based on the Euroleague and Eurocup. Basketball is huge is eastern Europe and countries such as France and Spain

Cost of the license (or difficulty of acquiring it), and the challenge of designing a basketball game that meets contemporary expectations, I suppose.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 am

I was hoping Mdickie would make a basketball game. Hahaha
Rodzilla91

Postby BPDHoplite on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Oh that would be a unique thing for sure

Maybe they could all be part time wrestlers
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:37 pm

DaCrispy wrote:Oh that would be a unique thing for sure

Maybe they could all be part time wrestlers

Had he made it, i think itd be fun. Obviously no real world players, but that doesn't matter. His games were very modifiable anyways.
Rodzilla91

Postby Murat on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 am

Corymach7 was a legend
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:32 am

Pdub wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Microsoft or Sony try their hat in the ring again. Although, I doubt they actually would at this point.

The NBA Inside Drive series was really underrated, those were good games.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Murat on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:40 am

NBA Inside Drive was only released on Xbox - that console wasn't popular as much as PlayStation was.

Sony's NBA attempts were average but I remember NBA 07: The Life vol 2 was sooo easy
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 am

Murat wrote:NBA Inside Drive was only released on Xbox - that console wasn't popular as much as PlayStation was.

Sony's NBA attempts were average but I remember NBA 07: The Life vol 2 was sooo easy

Yeah, my mention of it is to say they put out a solid product, I would have liked to see them go a little further with it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:55 am

Inside Drive 2000 did come out on PC, a shame it was the only one (not counting the forerunner Full Court Press, of course).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Klaparen on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:20 pm

I wouldn't mind Konami taking a crack at it if they can get the physics as good as they are in their latest few PES games. Of course they wouldn't have the licenses but I don't really care as a non-NBA fan, I just want the best gameplay and I'm sure people would mod it on both PC and consoles so they could add in real teams/players. There's a lot of sim players on NBA games who would probably love it.
Klaparen

Return to Other Basketball Games