Differences Between NBA Jam (PS3) & On Fire Edition?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Differences Between NBA Jam (PS3) & On Fire Edition?

Postby MJALLDAY on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:56 am

Any major difference between NBA Jam for PS3 and the On Fire Edition?
MJALLDAY

Re: Differences Between NBA Jam (PS3) & On Fire Edition?

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Plenty. NBA Jam was a pretty faithful reboot/remake of the original games with today's players and I think it's kind of underrated; the situation with NBA Elite 11 certainly didn't help matters. It's fun and plays a lot like the originals, though that means the CPU can be a bit cheap at times. Classic Campaign is familiar but a little repetitive (and you're locked to one team per campaign), while the Remix Tour changes things up but again, the CPU is a bit cheap when it comes to some of the boss battles and other challenges.

On Fire Edition was a huge improvement. As big a fan as I am of the original games, OFE is probably my favourite arcade basketball game. The Real AI makes playing against the CPU a lot less repetitive while being challenging in a fairer way, most of the time. They combined Classic Campaign and the Remix Tour into Road Trip, where you can select a new team for each game (kind of like the old ladder/tournament mode in the originals) and the challenges are pretty fun and varied. It's also received a couple of roster updates, though none of the newly added players are referred to by name in the commentary.

For what it's worth, online support for NBA Jam has been discontinued, while it's still going for On Fire Edition.

Both are fine games, but OFE is definitely superior with noticeable differences in the way the CPU plays and a better game mode that can be played solo, with someone else on the same console or someone online, all without starting a new game. EA did a fine job with it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby MJALLDAY on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 am

I guess I'm gonna get On Fire Edition. Thanks for the info Andrew.
MJALLDAY

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:33 am

You're welcome. That's definitely the way to go in my view, it's the more satisfying arcade experience.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games