Dolphin Emulator Settings for NBA Street Vol. 2

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Dolphin Emulator Settings for NBA Street Vol. 2

Postby johnz1 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 am

NBA Street Vol. 2 runs great in Dolphin. This guide will help you configure the emulator so that you are using custom textures, the correct save file, and the performance is optimized for your system.

This guide was written for the latest Dolphin 4.0-xxxx development releases. Since the last stable release of Dolphin, several big issues with this game have been resolved. It is recommended that you use the latest version of the emulator, which can be downloaded here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Custom Textures

All custom textures (logos, jerseys, faces) need to be in Dolphin's User\Load\Textures\GNZE69 directory. For example, if you have Dolphin installed into "C:\Games\NBA Street Vol. 2", then your custom textures directory would be "C:\Games\NBA Street Vol. 2\User\Load\Textures\GNZE69".

Custom Save Game

The save game files need to be in Dolphin's User\GC directory. For example, if you have Dolphin installed into "C:\Games\NBA Street Vol. 2", then your save game directory would be "C:\Games\NBA Street Vol. 2\User\GC".

Graphics Menu

Show FPS: Checked
Before you change any of the graphics settings, enable "Show FPS". If you aren't familiar with this option, it's going to put a frames-per-second counter in the upper left hand corner of the screen. You want this counter to always display "60.0". If you change a setting and notice that it's dipping below that, you'll probably want to roll back the changes you just made, because the game isn't running as fast or as smoothly as it should be, probably because your system can't handle it. After you're finished making changes to the emulator's settings, uncheck the box to show FPS. There's no need to have it on once you have the game running at full speed.

Use Fullscreen: Checked
Unless you like playing the game in a window, I suggest you check the box for "Use Fullscreen".

Hide Mouse Cursor: Checked
If you don't want to see the mouse cursor while you are playing, check the box for "Hide Mouse Cursor", under the General tab. I'm really not sure why this isn't checked by default...

Aspect Ratio: Force 16:9
This game has native support for widescreen displays. In Dolphin, change the Aspect Ratio setting to "Force 16:9". Be sure to change change the in-game settings, listed at the end of this guide.

Enhancements tab, Internal Resolution
OK, on to the eye candy. To make this game look really good, go into the Enhancements tab. The most important setting, and the one that will net you the most graphical gains, is the Internal Resolution. To find the best resolution for you, start at 1x and start a game. If the game plays at 60 FPS, then increase the Internal Resolution. Test that setting and repeat the process until the game doesn't run at 60 FPS. I recommend setting Internal Resolution to the highest value that still results in gameplay consistently at 60 FPS. If you can have the internal resolution higher than your display resolution, go for it. There are benefits to rendering at a resolution higher than your display.

Enhancements tab, Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering
Once you've got your Internal Resolution set, try increasing the Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering. I won't tell you what to set these to because it strictly depends on how powerful your system is. If your system can handle it, max all of these settings out. If it can't, play with the settings until you've found a good combination that results in 60 FPS gameplay.

V-Sync: Checked
Another quick tweak is to enable V-Sync, also under the General tab. This will reduce screen tearing, especially when the camera is moving. As long as the game is running at 60 FPS, you'll be fine with this enabled. If you cannot achieve 60 FPS on your system, leave this unchecked.

In-Game Options Menu

Widescreen: On
In the game settings, change the Widescreen option to ON. This will enable the native widescreen support, and since "Force 16:9" is enabled, the game will be properly displayed in widescreen.

In-Game Pause Menu

Camera Type: Wide
For some reason, this setting is not displayed in the main menu options screen. You have to start a game and pause it to change the camera type. If you have widescreen enabled, you may notice that the camera is a little too close to the court. Change Camera Type to Wide to have a better, more widescreen-friendly view of the action.

Action Replay Cheat Code: Unlock All Rewards

Dolphin supports Action Replay codes. Using two codes, you can quickly unlock everything in the game.

Enable Cheats: Checked
Click the Config button and check the box for "Enable Cheats".

AR Codes
In Dolphin's main menu, right-click NBA Street Vol. 2 and select Properties. Go to the "AR Codes" tab. Click Add, and add each of these two codes:

Code: Select all
NAME: Master Code (Must be enabled)
CODE: C42A511C 0000FF00

Code: Select all
NAME: Unlock All Rewards
CODE: 02377AA0 000DFFFF

Check the box next to each code, then click Close to exit the Properties menu. Once you have everything unlocked and saved to your virtual memory card, you can go back to having cheats disabled.

UPDATES:
4/20/15:
- Updated guide for the latest development releases, which fix many of the problems this game previously had in Dolphin
- Added "custom save game" section

9/24/13:
- Updated everything for the newly released Dolphin 4.0
- Removed the "DSP/Audio Menu" section, as DSP LLE is no longer required for fully functional audio in Dolphin 4.0.
- Added the "emulation issues" section

8/11/13:
- Added cheat codes section

8/7/13:
- Added Custom textures section
- Reworked the "Internal Resolution" section
- Reorganized everything under categories

8/5/13:
- Added in-game options section
- Added Camera Type setting

7/25/13:
- Changed the Aspect Ratio setting from "Force 16:9" to "Stretch to Window". This is a much more adaptable setting that will look correct on any aspect ratio that you're playing on. Many desktop monitors are 16:10, so you wouldn't want to force 16:9, or any other ratio
- Changed aspect ratio to "Force 16:9" because this game natively supports widescreen displays with a "Widescreen" option in the game settings
- Added note about internal resolution higher than display resolution
- Added "Use Fullscreen"
- Added the version of Dolphin that I'm using (3.5)
- Added note about disabling "Show FPS" when done tweaking
Last edited by johnz1 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:34 am, edited 12 times in total.
johnz1

Re: Dolphin Emulator Settings for NBA Street Vol. 2

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:40 am

Thank you very much for this guide, I'm sure we will be referring people to it often (Y) (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby johnz1 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 am

Updated first post:
- Changed the Aspect Ratio setting from "Force 16:9" to "Stretch to Window". This is a much more adaptable setting that will look correct on any aspect ratio that you're playing on. Many desktop monitors are 16:10, so you wouldn't want to force 16:9, or any other ratio.
- Changed aspect ratio to "Force 16:9" because this game natively supports widescreen displays with a "Widescreen" option in the game settings.
- Added note about internal resolution higher than display resolution
- Added "Use Fullscreen"
- Added the version of Dolphin that I'm using (3.5)
- Added note about disabling "Show FPS" when done tweaking
Last edited by johnz1 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnz1

Postby [Q] on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 am

I got it up and running but the fps will vary from 35-50, with 50 being playable and anything in the 40s unplayable. which settings can i lower to get the fps up?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 am

internal resolution for sure
also, if your GPU can do DX11, make sure you change your Backend in the graphics window to that
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:27 am

what's the difference between DX9 & DX11?
it only gives me the option for "Direct3D9"
I have an NVidia GeForce 9600 GT
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:45 am

no, you wont be able to do DX11 with that card. Sounds more like a limited PC issue than anything, you need to have a beast to run Dolphin or PCSX2 properly. I don't really know where to look to try and making it run any better though, try the official site, they are good with documentation
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:21 pm

i cutting down the resolution did help a lot, now I need to find a way to get my ps3 controller to work on my PC and I will be good. btw, is there a difference between GC & ps2 version of street 2? on PS2 there were 4 turbo buttons (all of the triggers on top) but it appears GC has 3 turbo buttons
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:27 pm

that is the main difference I am aware of

TBH, it kinda pisses me off, heh, but Im used to it now
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby johnz1 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Given that this game requires a decent system (especially because it needs to use DSP LLE), the way to find the best configuration for your system would be to:

1. Set everything except the graphics settings, and change the Internal Resolution (IR) to "Native"
2. Start the game and change the two settings in the game. I've found the widescreen setting and camera type to have a big impact on the performance.
3. Play a game and keep your eye on the FPS.
4. Increase the IR and test it by playing a game and observing the change in FPS. When you see the FPS drop, you've found your max IR.

Maybe I should change the order of this guide...

If you have the IR set to "Native" and you aren't getting 60 FPS, then your CPU is the bottleneck (not the GPU). At this point, you either want to disable widescreen mode and play with the 4:3 aspect ratio, or mess with these options to try to get a speed boost:

- Update your system's display drivers. In fact, this should probably be the first thing you do, before even running Dolphin for the first time.
- If you're at all comfortable overclocking your CPU, then give that a shot. It definitely helps.
- Changing the graphics backend to Direct3D 11 probably won't give you a performance boost, but you may as well try it out. AFAIK D3D9 is still the fastest.
- Try changing the Audio Backend from "DSound" to "XAudio2"
- Try disabling V-Sync
johnz1

Postby benji on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm

You can get by with a Core2Duo level processor on many games with a nice graphics card. But an i5 or better is reaalll nice with Dolphin. Especially if it's not one of the games they are constantly updating and tweaking performance for.
benji

Postby johnz1 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:27 pm

- Added Custom textures section
- Reworked the "Internal Resolution" section
- Reorganized everything under categories
johnz1

Postby JaoSming on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:22 pm

(Y) (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby johnz1 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:21 pm

For Steam users, here's a grid banner for Street Vol. 2. I'll make one for this mod, but I it probably won't look great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Great news: Dolphin 4.0 is out, and it does not require DSP LLE in order to have music and the announcer. This should mean that the game will run faster for everyone, but we'll see. I'll test the new version and update this guide later this week.

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/22 ... ouncement/

Edit: Unfortunately, the graphical glitches at the beginning of the game and in the menus have not been fixed, and are not fixed by toggling the MMU setting, as suggested in this bug report:
https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/i ... il?id=2733
johnz1

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Cool. I will give it a shot
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Mazzocchi on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:52 am

Downloaded Dolphin 4. Game runs much worse somehow. Just imported y settings from the last build. It'll play fine at 60 FPS randomly, but 90% of the time it'll drop down to the 20 FPS range. Been messing with the settings but I don't get it...

EDIT:
Nevermind, messed with my Backend (lol) and it runs flawlessly. Dear god this looks great. Just upset I can't use OpenGL because I want to use the Post-Processing Effects.
Mazzocchi
Resident Mavericks Fan (Since 1994)

Postby johnz1 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:52 am

Mazzocchi wrote:Nevermind, messed with my Backend (lol) and it runs flawlessly. Dear god this looks great. Just upset I can't use OpenGL because I want to use the Post-Processing Effects.

Absolutely. Now I can turn all the image enhancement effects to maximum and still consistently get 60 FPS with zero hiccups. With Dolphin 3.5, it was full speed except when any of the rim physics were involved. Anything involving the hoop or rim slowed it down a little bit, but it wasn't too bad. Now it looks great, and runs perfectly. Very happy with 4.0

The guide has been updated
johnz1

Postby Onegreatrace on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:18 am

Cutscenes now work on dolphin dev builds compiled after 6/15.
Onegreatrace

Return to Other Basketball Games