nba live vs 2k sim mode

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

nba live vs 2k sim mode

Postby Sauru on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:16 am

just curious to what people think here. in the past i used to sim multiple seasons for teams doing only the trading/drafting/ and so on for the team and i would go through each team in the league. kept stats to see who i did the best with. have a point system and all that worked out, anyway the point is i like to sim sometimes instead of playing all the games and i was wondering what game you guys thought would be better. i never did it in 2k, in fact all i have ever done in 2k is the my player mode so i am more used to lives franchise mode but i have heard that 2k's is better/deeper. just looking for some opinions here from people who have played both
Sauru

Re: nba live vs 2k sim mode

Postby kevin02 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 am

In my opinion 2k gives the most realistic stats. If your debating between 2k13 and live 13 I would for sure go with 2k just because it has already established itself as a realistic sim and will be building off 2k12's sim engine. Live on the other hand doesn't have as much to build off of and therefore will probably not be quite as accurate.
kevin02

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 am

The 360/PS3 versions of NBA Live 08 and NBA Live 09 weren't too bad as far as their simulated stats, not too far off 2K really. NBA Live 10 took a step backwards though as it introduced some new Player DNA-based shooting ratings and the sim engine wasn't updated properly to account for it, resulting in some players averaging far too few points per game in my experience. Hopefully they'll have addressed that somewhat in NBA Live 13.

NBA 2K13 might have the better results in that regard, but I'm guessing they won't be perfect. NBA 2K12's simulated stats are fairly good - they're not outrageously incorrect/completely broken as with NBA Live 08 PC - but they do fall wide of the mark in certain areas.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:51 am

Both games have broken trade logic but in the case of 2k you can turn the trades off(except for the off-season?) which is a good thing. 2k12 simulated stats is good unless you play one game in which your team stats will be bugged for some reason.

If I remember in 07/08 the one feature that I love is the how deep the scouting report is on your team. You can check on who on your team would like to play with someone and what environment/city they prefer, you can also scout your upcoming game on what is that team weakness or something like that. If 2k managed to have that on 2k13 I would not be simming a single season unlike what I do now. Also I would like to have that trade block feature that was in 2k10. Seriously why did 2k ditch that instead of that shitty trade finder. I'm having a hard time trading my players using the trade finder without the CPU asking to trade the guy with the 5 stars.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 am

They're good, but the league leaders are still a bit off. The results are acceptable at worst, though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 am

2K12's is the best I've seen for simming entire seasons and I love micromanaging the team and simming the games. It is unfortunate that Live's sim intervene feature hasn't made its way into 2K, but the sim engine works well and you can edit everything, plus you can download real life or custom draftees. You do need to deal with the occasional glitches though (certain teams appearing to have played too many/too few games, disappearing boxscores, etc.)
Lamrock

Return to Other Basketball Games