nbajam android modding anyone?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: nbajam android modding anyone?

Postby raidersbball20 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Mavs rosters set. Dirk, Barnes, Matthews, Harris, Bogut

1.png

2.png

3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raidersbball20

Postby TBM on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:01 pm

:bowdown:
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:19 pm

thats pretty cool that you gt the skyline into the cavs court
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby raidersbball20 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:19 am

I've got the Nuggets rosters and portraits complete. Gallinari, Faried, Jokic, Barton. The Pepsi Center is near complete. I was able to put the mountain and pick axe stain on the court. The custom stains take more time but definitely doable.

Screenshot_20170119-110545.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raidersbball20

Postby Murat on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Is there a chance to switch the names?
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby theBirchman on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:21 am

This looks great. I've actually been lurking this thread for long time as I was working on a custom NCAA JAM mod. Unfortunately, after making tons of progress on uniforms/players/stats, I could never figure out a way to re-import tweaked audio files. I could open the audio files (like a player's last name, for instance) in Audacity and make changes/re-save. But the audio was slightly distorted and at the moment the audio sample was triggered in game, it'd crash.

Any ideas on how to successfully save/re-import audio samples? If I can figure that out, I'd love to get a working NCAA JAM mod out sometime before the NCAA tournament...
theBirchman

Postby raidersbball20 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:51 pm

The Real Badger wrote:Is there a chance to switch the names?

Honestly im not sure. I successfully hex edited the btp files as suggested but it never changed in game. Ratings and rosters are entirely editable along with all textures.

theBirchman wrote:This looks great. I've actually been lurking this thread for long time as I was working on a custom NCAA JAM mod. Unfortunately, after making tons of progress on uniforms/players/stats, I could never figure out a way to re-import tweaked audio files. I could open the audio files (like a player's last name, for instance) in Audacity and make changes/re-save. But the audio was slightly distorted and at the moment the audio sample was triggered in game, it'd crash.

Any ideas on how to successfully save/re-import audio samples? If I can figure that out, I'd love to get a working NCAA JAM mod out sometime before the NCAA tournament...

I haven't taken a shot yet. I've been so engrossed in modding and editing rosters i haven't had time. Definitely can give it a whirl at some point.
raidersbball20

Postby raidersbball20 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:06 pm

Another Update. I've completed the Pistons/The Palace. Roster is Drummond, Harris Jackson. I've just begun Golden State. Roster is Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green, Hardaway, Mullens. Portraits are updated. Still need to update the Oracle and jerseys/faces. I'm going to update ratings when everything else is completed.

Screenshot_20170128-005729.png

Screenshot_20170128-005735.png
raidersbball20

Postby daking on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 am

Amazing job! Thanks a lot!
I'm asking if you're going yo share the file, and where is going yo be available. That will be gorgeous
daking

Postby raidersbball20 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:09 pm

IMG_20170130_220840_01.jpg
raidersbball20

Postby letsPlay on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Really cool stuff, Nice :)
letsPlay

Postby jeter17 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am

raidersbball20 wrote:

Amazing..(Y) Can you share the mod?thx
jeter17

Postby miky on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:47 am

guys i know it's old but can i have some hints for the png => pvr format. when i put png and save as legacy, texture is visible but messed up (head on legs and jersey on square head). if i change encoding to rgba 444 before saving. texture become all white with square head. i don't get what i'm doing wrong.

edit: i managed to insert it correctly. but can't change names hexediting btp file yet...
miky

Postby Onegreatrace on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 am

Hey everyone - a bit of a bump. Was anyone ever able to figure out roster name editing?
Onegreatrace

Postby theBirchman on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:25 am

Hey guys. I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but I recently came back to it as a side project. I've been wanting to either a) update the rosters for 2018 or b) do a full conversion mod into something like NCAA JAM.

Anyway, the reason I'm bumping this is because I actually figured out how to edit and re-insert audio. It was a bit of a pain to figure out, but now that I've got it, it's actually really easy (if not a little time-consuming) to pull off. If anyone wants a how-to, let me know and I can write something up.

I know a lot of people have had questions about changing display names -- that's my next (and final) task before I could officially begin work on a mod (I wouldn't want to change everything BUT display names, that would bother me to no end).

What I've discovered so far is that the .btp file you used to be able to hex edit to change display names doesn't work anymore after the 4.0 update. During that update, they added some new players (which became HUGELY crucial to audio modding, so you win some you lose some) AND added some .vars files. I think those files, which seem to act as some sort of player/team database and reference sheet, are the key to unlocking display names.

I'll keep people updated as I continue to make progress.
theBirchman

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 am

It'd be good to have some resources available, so anything you feel like sharing would certainly be appreciated. The modding scene for the game isn't very big, at least around these parts, but that might change if there's some more information out there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby miky on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 am

not sure... but maybe i've got something interesting. when i was doing tests (nearly a year ago) i found this guys showing his mods, and for a brief moment, he shared his files on FB. it's in chinese so i don't know if it's a complete mod or just a demo. (doesn't rlly matters)

links: fb, https://www.facebook.com/NbaJamEx/?hc_r ... S_TIMELINE
youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuQoBZg4P4Q

download links are dead now. but i managed to take the biggest format size back then. so if this guy did change all names, we could check his files and find where or how he did this.

ps: the file was like 300+ mo, so maybe just upload 2/3 files like .vars files and .btp
(his Fb and ytube links are public so i hope it's ok to put them here, correct me if i must delete them)

so what do you think? :?
miky

Postby theBirchman on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 am

miky wrote:not sure... but maybe i've got something interesting. when i was doing tests (nearly a year ago) i found this guys showing his mods, and for a brief moment, he shared his files on FB. it's in chinese so i don't know if it's a complete mod or just a demo. (doesn't rlly matters)

links: fb, https://www.facebook.com/NbaJamEx/?hc_r ... S_TIMELINE
youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuQoBZg4P4Q

download links are dead now. but i managed to take the biggest format size back then. so if this guy did change all names, we could check his files and find where or how he did this.

ps: the file was like 300+ mo, so maybe just upload 2/3 files like .vars files and .btp
(his Fb and ytube links are public so i hope it's ok to put them here, correct me if i must delete them)

so what do you think? :?

I think that's a great idea. Assuming all display names are affected through changes to one or all of the .btp, .vars and .csv files, if we just compare the ones from the mod to the originals, we should be able to isolate and mimic what's different.

Like you said, the original download links are down. But it sounds like you got copies?
theBirchman

Postby miky on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 am

yep i've got one of those files. i'll pm you with a link, not only btp or vars but the entire file so we can check everything. hope it helps.

edit: i use v04.00.12 , but he is on v04.00.14, i don't remember very well but; v14 erase your mod everytime with an update when game opens (maybe was later version than v14)
need to test that too
miky

Postby theBirchman on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:20 am

This whips -- thanks miky!

Here's what I've been able to figure out so far:

• The editing process is pretty convoluted. All told, I think there are about 8 files or so to update, depending on what you're changing (player vs. team).
  • As I expected, the vars files act as sort of a cross-reference for different game functions. It ties audio, textures, player profile images and team data together across different asset names. It's why the updating process is convoluted, BUT is also the reason we'll be able to add more players/teams than exist in the game currently (hypothetically).
  • Hex-editing the .btp file is unnecessary.
  • This person pretty extensively updated that 0 file that very little was known about. OP got it right when he guessed it a was a list of assets used by the game. It seems this modder hex-edited that file in an effort to add custom/new players to the game. However, opening the original in a hex-editor reveals a way different format, so we're going to have to look into this one a bit more and figure out how to update it.

The biggest takeaway through all of this, I think, is that we're no longer going to be able to change a specific player's files -- say, adding in Karl-Anthony Towns textures into Shabazz Muhammad's .pvr texture to replace him -- AND change the in-game name. These vars files mean that EVERYTHING needs to be updated. No longer can shabazz_muhammad_away.pvr exist if we want the in-game name to say 'Towns'. Every Muhammad filename and reference will have to be replaced with a Towns one -- including within that 0 file, I believe.

I haven't tested anything yet though, so more to come.
theBirchman

Postby theBirchman on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:43 am

Thanks to miky's huge assist, I've finally figured out how to update display names in v4.

I'll give the basic overview, but feel free to respond if anything is unclear.

There are 4 major files you'll need to update in order to change the display name: 0, g, i & the Players Console csv. Here's some detail on what's necessary for each:
  1. NBAJAM_Players_Console.csv :
    1. First, pick a player to update who has the same number of letters in their last name as what you're going to be replacing it with. For instance, I could replace Ricky Rubio with Karl-Anthony Towns, but NOT Jimmy Butler.
    2. Secondly, update AttribKey to be firstname_lastname (karl_towns) and ReflectionKey to firstname_lastname_r (karl_towns_r).
    3. Finally, change the LastName column (TOWNS). [Note, you can change other columns, but it's unnecessary for name-changing specifically]
  2. g :
    1. Update the .pvr texture filenames to match the firstname_lastname used in the step above, plus the home or away designation.
    2. Example: ricky_rubio_home.pvr will become karl_towns_home.pvr (repeat for the away skin as well)
  3. i :
    1. Note the ID # of the player you're replacing (which can be found in the players csv file in column A
    2. Change the .png filename to [ID#]_LastName. In this case, 229_RUBIO.png becomes 229_TOWNS.png
  4. 0
    1. Open this file with a Hex Editor of your choice.
    2. Ctrl-F or scroll to find the .png file from step 3 of the player you're replacing
    3. OVERWRITE the filename (or just the last name, since that's all that should be different) with your update (again, this will be 229_TOWNS.png). Don't edit anything else!
    4. Save and exit.

Now you can import and replace these files in your res folder location. If you did everything right, you should see the updated name displayed.

Two things to note:
  • In this case, Ricky Rubio didn't have an audio files, so we didn't have to do anything with the AudioManager.vars file. I'm certain we probably would have to going forward, but that seems a bit trickier. That's what I'm going to test next.
  • You can add your own players and assign them to unused IDs, but it's a couple of extra steps. Once I do that successfully, I can answer questions/update this how-to with the details.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also, again, big ups to miky!
theBirchman

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:26 am

Good to know! Great work, guys.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby miky on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:49 pm

oustanding effort the birchman (Y) :D . all that knowledge already.
need to try that asap. thank you so much.
miky

Postby JamCentral on Mon May 07, 2018 4:37 pm

I have a video of the mod that was taken down on my channel Jam Central. I also have the 1280 files saved so if anyone wants them I will link them. If you have any pvr files please upload them, and if anyone knows a way to extract pvr files on Android please explain. Or if you can make a tutorial on how to do it with pvr textool. Thanks!
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 pm

raidersbball20 wrote:

Can you please upload Klay Thompson PVR file?
JamCentral

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games